• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

They're out in the EU, not sure the US got em yet...

If it follows last year, North America won't see the summer wave of Star Wars sets until July. However, these planet sets are not following the rest of the wave this year, so I have a feeling they might be out earlier, especially since they've been out in EU for months now.

that is gorgeous
a12.jpg

TAKE MY MONEY

Bah! Tru near work only had 4 series 10 figs left. Felt the bags. Two skydivers, old man, and painter. Dammit.

dude what are you doing? don't you already have like 5 skydivers ;) ?

PS: i am STILL floored by the beauty of that SnowSpeeder, i mean it might not be as accurate as other models of it (like the UCS etc) but damnit, if it doesn't PERFECTLY capture the essence and concept of this wonderful ship, i honestly can't even imagine ANY other ship of that scale topping it, at least not within the Planet series, they might as well pack it up now!

dude what are you doing? don't you already have like 5 skydivers ;) ?

PS: i am STILL floored by the beauty of that SnowSpeeder, i mean it might not be as accurate as other models of it (like the UCS etc) but damnit, if it doesn't PERFECTLY capture the essence and concept of this wonderful ship, i honestly can't even imagine ANY other ship of that scale topping it, at least not within the Planet series, they might as well pack it up now!
I didn't buy the figures they had. Mainly because I don't need more skydivers. Now, if it were more Roman soldiers...

Does anyone have a personal minifig? Or barring that, just a minifig you came up with that you really like? I have one...need to see if my camera will be agreeable.

Milchjon

Dunno if posted before, but AdWeek has a feature on LEGO's success and licensing politics.

The partnership is an impressive one, and serves to illustrate Lego's clout not merely within the toy industry but in the entertainment world as a whole. Among the Ranger toys, there’s a little town with a burglable bank and a sheriff’s office, a full-blown train set (the envy of all AFOLs—adult fans of Lego), an elaborate silver mine and a stagecoach. Not all were originally slated to show up in theaters July 3. "The stagecoach is one of those vehicles…you just have to have one," says McNally—even though the filmmakers hadn’t included one. What to do? Remember that licensing is a major concern for Disney. Its two Cars films each topped $2 billion in revenue from licensed merch alone, far exceeding box-office receipts. Lego submitted a stagecoach toy anyway, just to see what would happen. And Disney added a stagecoach in postproduction.

chimster

Does anyone have a personal minifig? Or barring that, just a minifig you came up with that you really like? I have one...need to see if my camera will be agreeable.

My girlfriend made these for me before I went overseas for school. The first one is supposed to be me, the second one is her, and the last one is supposed to be me when I am done my degree. Hahaha. The "guns" are supposed to help shoot my problems away for me :D. She threw in the scorpion because she thought it was cool.

I thought it was a very cute idea.

Chuckie

My girlfriend made these for me before I went overseas for school. The first one is supposed to be me, the second one is her, and the last one is supposed to be me when I am done my degree. Hahaha. The "guns" are supposed to help shoot my problems away for me :D. She threw in the scorpion because she thought it was cool.

I thought it was a very cute idea.

That is the cutest shit ever.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
No series 10 near me yet.

I want Medusa for the snake body piece. I wanna Frankenstein together a personal mini fig.

Ha, I haven't even seen series 9 yet so yea....

Ponn

Banned
Tower of Orthanc!

It's like their worst kept secret. I think at this point they are just trolling us by not announcing it.

I'm also upset the white horse is no longer available on their pick a brick online. I need Shadow Fax for my Gandalf the White.

ghostmind

Looking at the sets I have in storage this weekend is making me want to have a massive sell-off of a bunch of my sets, as I don't have the space to display it all, and my backlog is immense.

Of course, the Star Wars sets are off-limits, as those are the core of my collection.

Maybe I'm just in a mood - we'll see.

But im not collecting any western stuff. I will wait and see if they restock, if not i guess i could do that and offer the rest of the set up for the next GAF Lego contest.

I grabbed a ton of white horses at the last PAB wall I went to. I see you are in FL. I can send you one or a few if you would like.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Looking at the sets I have in storage this weekend is making me want to have a massive sell-off of a bunch of my sets, as I don't have the space to display it all, and my backlog is immense.

Of course, the Star Wars sets are off-limits, as those are the core of my collection.

Maybe I'm just in a mood - we'll see.

Tell me more....

Ponn

Banned
I grabbed a ton of white horses at the last PAB wall I went to. I see you are in FL. I can send you one or a few if you would like.

I only need one but im not in a rush. I might be going to Harry Potterland next month. If i do i will be hitting up Lego Store there for sure. Thanks for offer. Not sure which im more excited for, finally getting to go to Harry Potter Universal or that big Lego Store there.

I only need one but im not in a rush. I might be going to Harry Potterland next month. If i do i will be hitting up Lego Store there for sure. Thanks for offer. Not sure which im more excited for, finally getting to go to Harry Potter Universal or that big Lego Store there.
Just let me know of you ever need one.

wait... what?

theres... such a thing?

rallaren

Just finished the Lex armor - Neat build and with different, sharper colors than the rest of my lego (and there's a whole spare part hose pipe!).

I still have a space police set and the 4x4 unbuilt. Got the excavator coming and I'll do that for the time being.

Just finished the Lex armor - Neat build and with different, sharper colors than the rest of my lego (and there's a whole spare part hose pipe!).

I still have a space police set and the 4x4 unbuilt. Got the excavator coming and I'll do that for the time being.

Seems like your backlog is dangerously low. I suggest you go out and immediately buy more LEGO.

lingiii

Banned
picked up a bunch of Series 10 at a Fred Meyer over the weekend. Got my sad clown so nothing else matters, but my bag-groping skills totally failed me.

I didn't realize baseball dude's glove was one of his hands, I thought it was a separate piece. I thought I had an Old Dude figured out but it turned out what I thought was his sweet bald headpiece was actually a baseball mitt. I also thought I had painterman but his hat was actually baseball guy's hat... I now have three baseball guys and no awesome old dude's. Anyway, they should be easiest to find because one of the hands isn't a hand.

Otherwise, made out pretty well. I'm only missing Captain, Old Dude, Painterman, Valleygirl and Medusa, but I couldn't give two shits about Medusa--I really dislike the minifigs with non-standard legs (like that Viking lady last series).

ghostmind

If your backlog isn't at least...ten sets, you're doing it wrong.

And if your backlog is more than a hundred sets?

Spent part of the weekend breaking down my son's Ninjago sets, since they had almost taken over his room. Still have about 15 to go - he wants to keep the Fire Temple and his dragons built, which is fine with me since they are the best of the theme.

I also opened about a dozen of my polybags, so take that backlog!

More thoughts about reducing my total number of sets soon...

ghostmind

So here is my dilemma that touched off a weekend of deep thought on the issue:

With my recent purchase of the UCS Falcon "completing" (at least to my satisfaction) the UCS sets I own, I want to assemble them all for display in my LEGO room (with R2-D2 and the latest set spilling over into my room).

The problem is, with the UCS Falcon, Death Star, SSD, Imperial Shuttle, B-wing, Jedi Starfighter, and soon X-wing, I do not have the space to display both my UCS kits and my modular buildings. I'm not going to let them take up my living room, as I would like some space in my house without LEGO kits dominating the space, with the exception of some seasonal sets (like the Haunted House and the Winter Village) at those times of year.

Once I build the UCS sets they are going to stay built - I don't have time or will to keep breaking them down and building them again.

I still have space in my LEGO room for individual sets that aren't modular-height, but I was thinking if the room is going to be dominated by UCS sets, then why not use the rest of the space for some of my smaller Star Wars sets (of which I have about a hundred).

So if I don't plan on displaying the other themes, then what good is there in purchasing new ones in those themes, or keeping the ones I already have?

I've spent the weekend going back and forth on the idea of selling off all of my non-Star Wars sets, or maybe selling off all my non-licensed sets, or just some fringe themes (such as Dino, Pharaoh's Quest, etc). Since I have over 200 sets, unless I sell off a lot of it, the rest will just sit in storage.

Right now I'm not sure what I am going to do, other than I am definitely keeping all my Star Wars kits.

What would you do, LEGO-GAF?

So here is my dilemma that touched off a weekend of deep thought on the issue:

With my recent purchase of the UCS Falcon "completing" (at least to my satisfaction) the UCS sets I own, I want to assemble them all for display in my LEGO room (with R2-D2 and the latest set spilling over into my room).

The problem is, with the UCS Falcon, Death Star, SSD, Imperial Shuttle, B-wing, Jedi Starfighter, and soon X-wing, I do not have the space to display both my UCS kits and my modular buildings. I'm not going to let them take up my living room, as I would like some space in my house without LEGO kits dominating the space, with the exception of some seasonal sets (like the Haunted House and the Winter Village) at those times of year.

Once I build the UCS sets they are going to stay built - I don't have time or will to keep breaking them down and building them again.

I still have space in my LEGO room for individual sets that aren't modular-height, but I was thinking if the room is going to be dominated by UCS sets, then why not use the rest of the space for some of my smaller Star Wars sets (of which I have about a hundred).

So if I don't plan on displaying the other themes, then what good is there in purchasing new ones in those themes, or keeping the ones I already have?

I've spent the weekend going back and forth on the idea of selling off all of my non-Star Wars sets, or maybe selling off all my non-licensed sets, or just some fringe themes (such as Dino, Pharaoh's Quest, etc). Since I have over 200 sets, unless I sell off a lot of it, the rest will just sit in storage.

Right now I'm not sure what I am going to do, other than I am definitely keeping all my Star Wars kits.

What would you do, LEGO-GAF?

I'm afraid, I may end up in the same situation in a year or two. Most of us only have so much room and eventually something has to go. Either stop buying (not an option, although slowing down is) or unloading older sets. Luckily, LEGO holds its value well and can even go up from purchase price.

As for selling, I would be torn to include minifigures as set without included minifigures would reduce selling price. However, selling minifigures separately usually commands higher prices also. I don't think I could part with minifigures I liked so I probably would end up selling sets at a reasonable loss.

Or you could start building a room addition out of LEGO and store them there. :)

if you have enough sets (you obviously do) you could become a bricklink entrepreneur ;p
it would be hella time consuming, but its the sort of thing i would enjoy doing endles sorting and counting of lego bricks... ;)

mind you I probably only enjoy doing that because I don't have to each and every day!

MisterNoisy

I dunno how widespread this is, but the Monster Fighters line is discounted at all my local Wal-Mart stores. Vampyre Castle is $70, Ghost Train is $50, Hearse for $25, etc. Might be worth a look if you're interested in this series.

...of course, I picked up all of the ones I didn't have yet. :p

scientific maps

Neo Member
Is it just me or does s10 seem to have more chances for getting doubles?

Maybe it is just my bad luck, but do I really need 4 sky divers, 4 baseball guys and 4 'Cycle Mechanics?

All from just 2 trips to TRU!

And before I get the "feel the bagzzz!" comments - I was, the TRU lady gave me the stink eye.

So I panicked.

Just grabbed 5 and checked out.

FML

Top Bottom