• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Is it just me or does s10 seem to have more chances for getting doubles?

Maybe it is just my bad luck, but do I really need 4 sky divers, 4 baseball guys and 4 'Cycle Mechanics?

All from just 2 trips to TRU!

And before I get the "feel the bagzzz!" comments - I was, the TRU lady gave me the stink eye.

So I panicked.

Just grabbed 5 and checked out.

FML

vs.

should be no difference.

So here is my dilemma that touched off a weekend of deep thought on the issue:

With my recent purchase of the UCS Falcon "completing" (at least to my satisfaction) the UCS sets I own, I want to assemble them all for display in my LEGO room (with R2-D2 and the latest set spilling over into my room).

The problem is, with the UCS Falcon, Death Star, SSD, Imperial Shuttle, B-wing, Jedi Starfighter, and soon X-wing, I do not have the space to display both my UCS kits and my modular buildings. I'm not going to let them take up my living room, as I would like some space in my house without LEGO kits dominating the space, with the exception of some seasonal sets (like the Haunted House and the Winter Village) at those times of year.

Once I build the UCS sets they are going to stay built - I don't have time or will to keep breaking them down and building them again.

I still have space in my LEGO room for individual sets that aren't modular-height, but I was thinking if the room is going to be dominated by UCS sets, then why not use the rest of the space for some of my smaller Star Wars sets (of which I have about a hundred).

So if I don't plan on displaying the other themes, then what good is there in purchasing new ones in those themes, or keeping the ones I already have?

I've spent the weekend going back and forth on the idea of selling off all of my non-Star Wars sets, or maybe selling off all my non-licensed sets, or just some fringe themes (such as Dino, Pharaoh's Quest, etc). Since I have over 200 sets, unless I sell off a lot of it, the rest will just sit in storage.

Right now I'm not sure what I am going to do, other than I am definitely keeping all my Star Wars kits.

What would you do, LEGO-GAF?

I think you should generally go through your sets and figure out which ones you would like to display again. I'm sure there are some sets you liked initially but once you took them apart, you had no real desire to put them back together again...for those ones, you might as well sell them and have money for other Lego or what not.

but... having your jimmies rustled is a bad thing. It means "to be angered."

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

I always assumed something else... I am stupid :p

lingiii

Banned
And before I get the "feel the bagzzz!" comments - I was, the TRU lady gave me the stink eye.

So I panicked.

FML

scientific maps
(Today, 11:15 AM)

Sack up, Junior. If you're going to LEGO, you gotta LEGO hard.

The prisoners' dilemma here is that unless you're the first one to a box, someone else came through and felt up the bags before you. Nobody wants the parachutester so there's going to be a gang of them left behind by gropers.

Listen to some Eye of the Tiger before you go in on your bag-feeling mission.

neonglow

if you have enough sets (you obviously do) you could become a bricklink entrepreneur ;p
it would be hella time consuming, but its the sort of thing i would enjoy doing endles sorting and counting of lego bricks... ;)

mind you I probably only enjoy doing that because I don't have to each and every day!

Over the weekend, I sorted my 6 PAB cups. I organized by brick type and color. It took over 2 hours to do. The most annoying part was sorting all the tiny 1x1 circles.

Opinion on getting used UCS Vader's Tie Advance X1. Is it good deal if I can get it for around $150.00? Complete with box and manual.

I figure I need something to go with X-Wing.

Thanks for the tip about Wal Mart clearancing Monster Fighter stuff. Snagged Vampyre Hearse for $25 and Swamp Creature for $5. All I need is Ghost Train to have them all. Might as well finish it at this point.

Now the debate about opening them, or saving them for October. Have Vampyre Castle and Mummy saved for that already. My first official backlog (those and Winter Cottage). But the thought of saving them for months from now kinda makes them feel more special.

Save them. Pop in a scary movie and build. Gives me a half chub just thinking about it.

Do not get the Shellraiser. It's very poorly designed and falls apart far too easily. And it sucks when it's sitting still too. I guess there were alt instructions for something else it could make on fbtb, but not enough. Bricklink the figs if you need them.

That's all I can say regarding any of them I've built, but unexpected gathering is fantastic when done.

Thanks for the input. I've heard mixed reviews about the Shellraiser. Is it unstable with the roof off or with the roof on? I'll probably go with UG, I just wish these sets had a longer shelf life.

I'm buying that whenever it comes out. For throwbacks, they should have some of the Creator stuff stored in these bad boys. I have a red one with yellow baseplates and it's still darn useful.

R-User!

So here is my dilemma that touched off a weekend of deep thought on the issue:

With my recent purchase of the UCS Falcon "completing" (at least to my satisfaction) the UCS sets I own, I want to assemble them all for display in my LEGO room (with R2-D2 and the latest set spilling over into my room).

The problem is, with the UCS Falcon, Death Star, SSD, Imperial Shuttle, B-wing, Jedi Starfighter, and soon X-wing, I do not have the space to display both my UCS kits and my modular buildings. I'm not going to let them take up my living room, as I would like some space in my house without LEGO kits dominating the space, with the exception of some seasonal sets (like the Haunted House and the Winter Village) at those times of year.

Once I build the UCS sets they are going to stay built - I don't have time or will to keep breaking them down and building them again.

I still have space in my LEGO room for individual sets that aren't modular-height, but I was thinking if the room is going to be dominated by UCS sets, then why not use the rest of the space for some of my smaller Star Wars sets (of which I have about a hundred).

So if I don't plan on displaying the other themes, then what good is there in purchasing new ones in those themes, or keeping the ones I already have?

I've spent the weekend going back and forth on the idea of selling off all of my non-Star Wars sets, or maybe selling off all my non-licensed sets, or just some fringe themes (such as Dino, Pharaoh's Quest, etc). Since I have over 200 sets, unless I sell off a lot of it, the rest will just sit in storage.

Right now I'm not sure what I am going to do, other than I am definitely keeping all my Star Wars kits.

What would you do, LEGO-GAF?

Sincerely?

If possible, wait till you have a bigger house.
If that's not an option, than keep them in storage to pay for your kids college education, when those sets unopened will exchange for a shit ton of coin! :)

R-User!

Is it just me or does s10 seem to have more chances for getting doubles?

Maybe it is just my bad luck, but do I really need 4 sky divers, 4 baseball guys and 4 'Cycle Mechanics?

All from just 2 trips to TRU!

So I panicked.

FML

Don't panic next time...

Feel the bags until they ask you to leave, and always look at the ground or up and away at an angle as though your perplexed and trying to solve a puzzle... The workers will think that your accomplishing something difficult and pay you no mind...

If accidental eye contact happens, just smile and then immediately look slightly away to the side while giving a perplexed look... Again, they'll think your solving a puzzle. :D

Ironmask

the 25th of april is a festivity here and i'll be home.
I've organized quite a few things to do with my daughter and decided to get her this lovely set:

that she looked after since christmas. I was able to snatch it at 10€ instead of 40€ at retail thanks to a 10€ discount at Amazon and some gift cards i had still in my account.

Personally i'm on hold, i don't have a lot of money to spend for myself and i'm really looking for the next sets in the Creator line, they're gorgeous!

DAT TREE HOUSE!!!!!

lego-creator-treehouse.png

finally LEGO made the male version of this awesome set

brickpicker_set_3065-1_3.jpg

Anyone want to trade me a minifig skateboard girl? I have a bunch of doubles/sealed packs but I need 1 skater girl to complete the entire collection for series 9. I would be willing to trade any fig (perhaps 2) for 1 from series 9.

chimster

Don't panic next time...

Feel the bags until they ask you to leave, and always look at the ground or up and away at an angle as though your perplexed and trying to solve a puzzle... The workers will think that your accomplishing something difficult and pay you no mind...

If accidental eye contact happens, just smile and then immediately look slightly away to the side while giving a perplexed look... Again, they'll think your solving a puzzle. :D

haha I usually run into another couple doing the same thing and we just help each other

somehow that tree house doesn't really strike my fancy... not sure but it looks like something anyone could have thought up and throw together by themselves rather quickly rather than a well designed and truly elaborated Lego set at first glance.

I may be wrong though...

Dragoshi1

I ordered the Alien Conquest Tripod, after missing out on it while it was still in print.

LEGO-Alien-Conquest-7051-Tripod-Invader-Toys-N-Bricks.jpg

And if anyone has the Lego Dino Raptors, either orange or green, and doesn't need it anymore, I'm in the market for one.

I love how LEGO reuses pieces and relies on your imagination. That said, sometimes the purist in me doesn't care and appreciates 3rd party accessories or accessories from clone brands.

Exhibit A

It's not the caliber size, but how you use it.

Payday is coming and so I've put in another few orders. Got lots of spare parts that will complete more of my vintage stuff (so I can take it down and put things in storage), but also bulk parts to start on my dioramas. I'm trying to stay within Europe: I may not always find the optimum prices, but it saves on shipping, time and worrying about customs.

hmmblah

somehow that tree house doesn't really strike my fancy... not sure but it looks like something anyone could have thought up and throw together by themselves rather quickly rather than a well designed and truly elaborated Lego set at first glance.

I may be wrong though...

Pretty meh to me too. The tree part of the build is really a poor effort.

neonglow

I built the Daily Bugle Showdown and it doesn't look right without applying the stickers. Do you guys have any tips on putting stickers on without it looking crooked?

Top Bottom