• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So May 4th will soon be upon us and I got my VIP email this morning...

Anyone have thoughts on this upcoming set? I'm in a building mood, particularly of the Star Wars variety, and want to know if I should just get the regular $60 one or wait for this one to drop.

Thanks!

10240-Red-Five-X-wing-Starfighter-12.jpg

Did I say I wasn't going to buy Orthanc? Because I'm totally going to buy Orthanc and it's going to fit so well in my shelves.

I was under the impression that it would be a non-minifig Architecture type build, and that wouldn't be interesting. But with all those iconic scenes, AND Gwaihir, AND Treebeard, it's a no-brainer.

I mean, with a few more figures on this set you can do the Palantir scene, the rooftop interrogation scene, the creation of the uruk-hai, the attack (with Merry and Pippin), the death of Saruman (with a couple figs and horses) and, if you're crazy enough, the army scene (with a ton of random warriors).

It also saves me from buying the tiny Palantir set, and finding the eagle from the gates set.

Gotta love the pictures of Gandalf and Radagast in the chamber too. Although Radagast doesn't exactly look like his Hobbit version. Early art?

Ironmask

Did I say I wasn't going to buy Orthanc? Because I'm totally going to buy Orthanc and it's going to fit so well in my shelves.

I was under the impression that it would be a non-minifig Architecture type build, and that wouldn't be interesting. But with all those iconic scenes, AND Gwaihir, AND Treebeard, it's a no-brainer.

I mean, with a few more figures on this set you can do the Palantir scene, the rooftop interrogation scene, the creation of the uruk-hai, the attack (with Merry and Pippin), the death of Saruman (with a couple figs and horses) and, if you're crazy enough, the army scene (with a ton of random warriors).

It also saves me from buying the tiny Palantir set, and finding the eagle from the gates set.

you're damn right dude, that tower is as iconic as the hobbit hole, the x-wing and the death star

Man, that's pretty. I love the ent, but he looks more rocky than tree-y. But that tower, all they need now is a matching Barad-dur with a light-brick Eye in it. Oh man.

That would be a good set to include Frodo and Sam in orc gear, maybe Gollum and a lava pit in the basement and more eagles.

Darn that looks even better than I imagined, wish Lego did more giant towers like this. I can only imagine the insanity if it opened up on hinges...now how to save for this bad boy...

Chuck

Still without luck

Anyone have thoughts on this upcoming set? I'm in a building mood, particularly of the Star Wars variety, and want to know if I should just get the regular $60 one or wait for this one to drop.

Thanks!

Building this right now for our display in the store. It's an amazing build and a fantastic model. I'll post pictures when I finish it today but I highly recommend it if you can go the extra 140.

Just left TRU after feeling lots of series 10 bags. As I am down to the last five bags, an employee comes to buy some and tells me there are no Mr Gold since they felt for it before leaving the stockroom.

Punks. No chance.

Just left TRU after feeling lots of series 10 bags. As I am down to the last five bags, an employee comes to buy some and tells me there are no Mr Gold since they felt for it before leaving the stockroom.

Punks. No chance.

as if we ever thought otherwise...
i feel like LEGO dropped the ball on this.
one a box would have been perfectly fine, I don't think anyone would have complained about that.

as if we ever thought otherwise...
i feel like LEGO dropped the ball on this.
one a box would have been perfectly fine, I don't think anyone would have complained about that.

Should have made special paper inserts like Willy Wonka did. Options to redeem code on their website/exchange at store would have driven more traffic to their website and store as well.

Building this right now for our display in the store. It's an amazing build and a fantastic model. I'll post pictures when I finish it today but I highly recommend it if you can go the extra 140.

I can part with the extra 140, since it seems this is right up my alley.

Thanks for the input! I'll probably order it next week then.

Can't wait to see the final pics.

I can part with the extra 140, since it seems this is right up my alley.

Thanks for the input! I'll probably order it next week then.

Can't wait to see the final pics.

I was planning to buy dat USC X-Wing come next week, but when will we ever have the chance of a USC-B-Wing for 50% off? you can always buy that X-Wing later, but that B-Wing at Dat price is only 2 days, if you're only interested in X-Wing then go for that beauty, I am pretty sure is going to be a LEGO best seller.

ghostmind

Finally got a chance to look at the Orthanc pics and video. I'm so happy that it is finally announced, and I can't wait to build it!

I was wrong however in my deduction that Marcos Bessa designed this set. Which means that he has instead designed another large set... Ewok Village? Sydney Opera House? Winter Village Market?

How did the cockpit sticker app go?

Shit looks down right FRIGHTENING

Finally got a chance to look at the Orthanc pics and video. I'm so happy that it is finally announced, and I can't wait to build it!

I was wrong however in my deduction that Marcos Bessa designed this set. Which means that he has instead designed another large set... Ewok Village? Sydney Opera House? Winter Village Market?

I'm hoping Sydney Opera House.

Ironmask

saw the video and on the left i notice the Microsquare web series.
How about a LEGOGAF microscale contest?

i don't have many pieces spare, but if you guys find a set with little pieces (Minecraft set maybe?) maybe it'll help the quest

edit: i'm intrigued both by learning the microscale techniques and the possible competition

I was planning to buy dat USC X-Wing come next week, but when will we ever have the chance of a USC-B-Wing for 50% off? you can always buy that X-Wing later, but that B-Wing at Dat price is only 2 days, if you're only interested in X-Wing then go for that beauty, I am pretty sure is going to be a LEGO best seller.

I like the B-Wing in design but not as a build, if that makes sense. So for me, the X-Wing is more iconic because of the look and I've been wanting to build one for a while now but never found one I liked until this set.

Chuck

Still without luck
How did the cockpit sticker app go?

Shit looks down right FRIGHTENING

It was pretty nerve racking after I messed up the main sticker the first time. I did mess up a side one too and had to redo it, but it turned out pretty well. It was a little intense though. Make sure you follow the tips on that page!

It was pretty nerve racking after I messed up the main sticker the first time. I did mess up a side one too and had to redo it, but it turned out pretty well. It was a little intense though. Make sure you follow the tips on that page!

Oh man, you totally got post pics of how this turned out.

So that I can totally be mad at how crap mine turns out by comparison.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Would be a fairy easy modification except for the main floor. Just add hinges here and there and remove the stairs from one side. However, the ability to just flip it around is pretty nice.

I am trying to read the measurements on the box, but can't make it out. This thing is going to be really tall.

We've had quite a few like that for lego recently. Not sure whether its a sneaky trend on the larger sets to get enthusiasts to buy multiple sets

Two towers to stick together to make one fully enclosed one
Two horizon express to make a full train
Two helms deep to expand the scope

Etc

We've had quite a few like that for lego recently. Not sure whether its a sneaky trend on the larger sets to get enthusiasts to buy multiple sets

Etc

Weren't a bunch of people doing that with the jousting set too?

Should do it with tower bridge too. Because fuck it...four towers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Weren't a bunch of people doing that with the jousting set too?

Should do it with tower bridge too. Because fuck it...four towers.

Yep, forgot about that one.

I'm so glad that tower leaves me cold, lets me relax somewhat until the Sydney opera house or ewok village

Ewok village could be nuts for multiple set buying to get a decent forest going.

kms_md

Thanks!

This is my planned May the Fourth purchase.

I wonder why so many people want to get that UCS X-Wing NOW? It's gonna be cheaper later on some day i bet and i'd rather take advantage of dat B-Wing deal right now and grab X-Wing down the road? That's just me though, maybe some aren't as patient as i am ;P

I wonder why so many people want to get that UCS X-Wing NOW? It's gonna be cheaper later on some day i bet and i'd rather take advantage of dat B-Wing deal right now and grab X-Wing down the road? That's just me though, maybe some aren't as patient as i am ;P

...The X-Wing comes out May (the) Fourth. ;)

that's me as well, personally the X-Wing is more desirable to me, but 50% off is just to freaking good to pass

The B-Wing is a pretty unique model that I'm sure doesn't appeal to as many people as the X-Wing. I doubt we'll see discounts on latter, or even R2 anywhere near as steep as the B-Wing.

That's just an uninformed guess though...I was pretty amazed when they dropped the price on Winter Village Cottage earlier this year so who knows.

I just rewatched the Orthanc designer video. One of them says "26 new elements". Does that mean 26 unique new pieces?

It sounded to me that he pointed out a specific piece used for the windows, and then mentioned that they used it 26 times in the model so you get quite a bunch. Also a new molded globe for the palantir... although it looksn worse than the miniset one to me.

Orthanc is glorious. Bring on even larger Lego Direct versions of Barad-dur, Minas Tirith, and Rivendell.

C'mon, tell me a 2000+ piece rivendell with a few buildings and some cliffs and waterfalls couldn't be the prettiest model ever.

It sounded to me that he pointed out a specific piece used for the windows, and then mentioned that they used it 26 times in the model so you get quite a bunch. Also a new molded globe for the palantir... although it looksn worse than the miniset one to me.

Ah, you're right. I had trouble understanding him.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
It appears I am the only one that doesn't like the tower. Meh I'm glad. I can save money.

R-User!

This. A new element; 26 pieces of said new element... :)

Buildings and scenes just appeal to me more than ships. It's why the modulars, the Middle-earth series, and the couple superhero sets I've got have hit me so hard. The death star is simultaneously the most appealing star wars set and prohibitively expensive. I alllllmost want the smaller ships out of childhood nostalgia, but they don't do it for me well enough. I feel like I get more enjoyment out of the most mediocre LotR set than I would out of spending 60 bucks on a medium ship.

It's also odd how much less appealing the star wars tax makes them to me. It's a really bullshit spot for logic to beginn affecting my lego-ing habits considering it's illogical I'm buying these things to begin with.

It appears I am the only one that doesn't like the tower. Meh I'm glad. I can save money.

To each their own. More money for other stuff you like.

Etc

I see it as a balance between price and build. They build it as best they can for a set price point. You could get 3, 4, 5 of some of those sets and still not be as epic in scale as some of the MOCs fans build. The ability to expand is great for those that would want to spend more to make something bigger. This way, the price point isn't too high of entry for a lot of people. I'm sure there would be trade-offs in design if they tried to achieve a closed set.

Take Tower of Orthanc as an example. To be fully closed it would be about 1/2 the size and you'd lose out on some of the detail.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Orthanc looks GORGEOUS, but all the black pieces used on the tower screams dust magnet.

Tower of Orthanc Designer video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aOdjObziYg

Looks massive sitting on the table.

Dat Ent! Love the throwing motion they built into it.

The new arches look nice as well. Could be very handy once they become more common.
The more I think about the set, the more I dig the open back. A completely enclosed model is awesome, but how often do you ever see the back when it's on display? And it will be easier to rotate it and show off the interior details. And I LOVE the details.

Let's hope the set does well so we get more giant LOTR sets someday.

This is bullshit to me.
Eh, it is to be expected really. You know it happens almost everywhere.

Top Bottom