• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ponn

Banned
ORTHANCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCFUCKINGBALLOMGHOLYSHITCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

oh shit, heart atta...

ghostmind

nzfU6so.jpg

N36Ky7f.jpg

Q8JrjlA.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
And DONE! :D

Photos:

before

and after

and some others, more in my minus folder

and some interesting use of pieces

and the cockpit

Truly fantastic build. The model is solid and very, very well designed. The crank action for the wings is pretty good and no rubber bands in this model at all. This has taken the spot of my favorite Lego build. Took about 7-9ish hours.

If anyone wants any specific pictures or any questions let me know. I have it for another week. :p

Ponn

Banned
I've already had my Orthancgasm. Now I'm posting in the afterglow.

Buubut GRIMA! And a big F'ing EAGLE! (is it just me or is that bigger than the one in Black Gates?) A Sloth from the Goonies looking M'FING ENT! I'm so high on this right now I bought a Mines of Moria Like New set that had suddenly popped on Amazon for $57 like some divine omen.

ORTHANC!

Buubut GRIMA! And a big F'ing EAGLE! (is it just me or is that bigger than the one in Black Gates?) A Sloth from the Goonies looking M'FING ENT! I'm so high on this right now I bought a Mines of Moria Like New set that had suddenly popped on Amazon for $57 like some divine omen.

ORTHANC!

NO NO NO NO NO I have been checking warehouse deals with goddamn psychotic frequency hoping to find this or helm's deep. Was this from warehouse deals? You may have saved me 60 dollars you bastard.

Photos:

before

and after

and the cockpit

Truly fantastic build. The model is solid and very, very well designed. The crank action for the wings is pretty good and no rubber bands in this model at all. This has taken the spot of my favorite Lego build. Took about 7-9ish hours.

If anyone wants any specific pictures or any questions let me know. I have it for another week. :p
Seeing it next to the Imperial Shuttle sells the size well. Any chance of seeing both on their stands near each other? Trying to plot display space. :)

Ponn

Banned
NO NO NO NO NO I have been checking warehouse deals with goddamn psychotic frequency hoping to find this or helm's deep. Was this from warehouse deals? You may have saved me 60 dollars you bastard.

Yes, like new AWD. I've been debating that set forever and i just happened to click over there after blowing 34 loads on the Orthanc video and had zero willpower at this point. My phone will get shut off next week but screw it.

mrkgoo

Photos:

before

and after

and the cockpit

Awesome, thanks for posting.

Why just a week?

It looks like it has a targeting computer - any print on that? Does it have teh targeting visual like the original xwing had (if I recall)?

Chuck

Still without luck
Seeing it next to the Imperial Shuttle sells the size well. Any chance of seeing both on their stands near each other? Trying to plot display space. :)
Hulk for Scale.

Awesome, thanks for posting.

Why just a week?
It's the display model for our Lego Store.

It looks like it has a targeting computer - any print on that? Does it have teh targeting visual like the original xwing had (if I recall)?
sticker

Marko723

Neo Member
Where are you located? How much did they cost you?

Looking at ebay, it seems 2 sets are almost the same price as a full box.

I'm in Canada. It's going to run me about 78Euro or $103CDN with shipping.

EDIT: I thought about ordering a case, but I never have luck ordering larger items. Seems I always get nailed with Import/Broker fees and taxes. A small package like this just slips through unnoticed.

I'm in Canada. It's going to run me about 78Euro or $103CDN with shipping.

EDIT: I thought about ordering a case, but I never have luck ordering larger items. Seems I always get nailed with Import/Broker fees and taxes. A small package like this just slips through unnoticed.

Seems reasonable-you're saving about $9 + tax, plus the amount of "feelin' time" you'd have to waste.

Fowler

Late to the Orthanc party, but: Oh my GOD.

I had convinced myself that I don't need it, because I assumed it was going to be a Lego Architecture-esque structure.

And then you see the ent... and the minifigs... and the interior elements... it looks unbelievable.

I need it.

It really is just the right size for a display piece.. catches the eye but it fits on alot of things.

It is also one that fools nearly everyone because you cannot tell it is LEGO until you right up on it. It also does not look good in an enclosed space like a bookshelf. It needs room to breathe. To spread its wings.

And I am still basking in the glow of Orthanc. Way to diminish my hype for the UCS X-Wing. Now all I am thinking about is July. And listening to the LOTR soundtrack.

EDIT: This is a public service announcement. Amazon has Bug Obliterator on sale for $61.77.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A88EIFM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
This is a magnificent set, and a wonderful throwback to old school space system sets. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

R-User!

Dat Ent! Love the throwing motion they built into it.

The new arches look nice as well. Could be very handy once they become more common.
The more I think about the set, the more I dig the open back. A completely enclosed model is awesome, but how often do you ever see the back when it's on display? And it will be easier to rotate it and show off the interior details. And I LOVE the details.

Let's hope the set does well so we get more giant LOTR sets someday.

Eh, it is to be expected really. You know it happens almost everywhere.

On this note, just imagine Minas Tirith's backside details!!!

Dat Minas Ass!

I was having mixed feelings waiting to see what LEGO would do with Orthanc considering that I'm currently building my own 31" tall MOC of the tower. I'm really excited about what they've done as it perfectly complements my MOC. This official LEGO set is part architecture build and part playset. It's not structurally accurate, but it still looks freaking awesome! My MOC is basically a display piece that is as structurally accurate as I could make it, but with no playset elements to it at all.

I'll definitely get this and put it right beside my own MOC. It should look pretty imposing considering they're almost the same massive height. Also, colour me surprised at the price! I thought for sure that we'd be looking at a $300+ CDN price tag.

mn5ENMn.jpg

I don't know... they look kind of blah in this post-Orthanc-reveal world we live in.

I think the sets are purposely simplified to target the younger crowd especially since we have the more mature LotR and Hobbit sets to fulfill the older fantasy crowd.

Dragon set is mine! Much cheaper than buying a single dragon for ~$25.
WTF on the fire beard though. Were there older dragons that allowed the fired to actually come from the mouth and not the chin?

I have been wanting to share my lego room for a while now. I was running a small bricklink store but I have been too busy so I don't sell much anymore. Now I have a ton of cool bricks for moc . I am more of a fan of sets though. Well, here goes!

Living room shelf

lKhEvDO.jpg

Enter the Lego Room-Man-Cave-Funhouse

iqWRIOp.jpg

0RIYS4U.jpg

Backlog (I know, I have to get started on these! I am also getting Bwing may 4th)

mz2z3cW.jpg

Star Wars Sets

9kTpwDL.jpg

You can see more of my lego collection HERE. I don't want to take up too much space on here

I would love to see others collections!!

frogg609

I have been wanting to share my lego room for a while now. I was running a small bricklink store but I have been too busy so I don't sell much anymore. Now I have a ton of cool bricks for moc . I am more of a fan of sets though. Well, here goes!

I would love to see others collections!!

That one picture of what looks like black 1x1s on the floor, looks like a torture device just waiting to happen. :) Awesome pictures!

Photos:

before

and after

and the cockpit

Dang, I was not really interested in that, but seeing it next to the imperial shuttle really sells it to me....

frack the stickers though.

I think the sets are purposely simplified to target the younger crowd especially since we have the more mature LotR and Hobbit sets to fulfill the older fantasy crowd.

Dragon set is mine! Much cheaper than buying a single dragon for ~$25.
WTF on the fire beard though. Were there older dragons that allowed the fired to actually come from the mouth and not the chin?

The 2007 dragons are the same mold... but, I think there may be some modification to the mouth. Mine only fits a small flame piece, and I can't get a large flame to fit like that. Otherwise it's the same, although with a different black print on the head, wings, tail and lower legs.

Dang, I was not really interested in that, but seeing it next to the imperial shuttle really sells it to me....

frack the stickers though.

I don't really get the sticker at all, especially in $200.00 set (more if you live out side USA). It really ruins other wise a perfect LEGO X-Wing. Applying sticker on brick is bad enough but having to do it as a frame to windshield required even more precise placement.

I hope it's not a cheap crappy sticker that keep rolling off. The stickers on my Sith's Infiltrator are peeling off.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't really get the sticker at all, especially in $200.00 set (more if you live out side USA). It's really ruin other wise a perfect LEGO X-Wing. Applying sticker on brick is bad enough but having to do it as a frame to windshield require even more precise placement.

I hope it's not a cheap crappy sticker that keep rolling off. The stickers on my Sith's Infiltrator are peel off.

these stickers are like super strong. It's more of a bitch trying to pull them off without leaving some residue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Depending how that x-wing cockpit looks with no stickers, I might look into getting some aircraft model water decals and using those instead

Top Bottom