• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

Interesting sketches made in 2010 while designing the Monster Fighters.

NcYOrx5.jpg

Would have really liked that Ghost Ship, but I'm still holding out for a PotC Flying Dutchman.

Chuck

Still without luck
I remember when the first reviews came out, and it seemed like half the reviewers said it was fragile and came apart easily, and the other half said it was solid and sturdy.

Mine's been sitting on its stand for 6 months now, and nothing has broken off or sagged. I'm not swooshing it around the room, but it felt solid when I was putting it together.

I dunno, maybe this set really is affected by how well you lock the bricks together. I know that when I build i make sure they are tight.

Many thanks!

Would have really liked that Ghost Ship, but I'm still holding out for a PotC Flying Dutchman.

Dat werewolf tail piece! I want it!
It is a shame we wont get more sets from the theme. It was so great.

And as for the rolling pin, here were the two versions I made:

Either way, there is a gap in the middle. But using the Technic roller allows it to actually roll. And gives more room for the figure to grip it. I just didnt have the color I wanted for the pin. Nor the rod, but eh.

Been working on a lil MOC action this weekend after disassembling my Cafe MOC.

NINJA BAKERY! Well, originally going to be a bakery, but I had a lot of pies, and I could make a sign that said "pies" in the space allotted. The ninja just happened to be the closest mini figure to grab to make sure my rolling pin would work in a figure's hand.

Your lettering is really well done-great job!

And the oven! The oven is up there with your safe in terms of instantly recognizable, yet simple designs.

Nice work.

Edit:

And now I can't unsee this:

ninjabread.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
I'll try to post some WIP pictures later tonight, but I didn't realize how time consuming it is to build a rocky-landscape with just slope pieces. I need to find a bunch of the LURP/BURP pieces on bricklink; in the meantime I thought I'd get some building done and it's slow going.

IronRinn

Surprised to find that my local Toys R US had the Series 10s in. It usually takes them a while to get new stuff in. Grabbed 12 bags and only got two doubles, a medusa and a clown. Somehow managed to not get a skydiver.

Edit: Totally going to grab one of those WWII era planes. Beautiful model.

hmmblah

Anyone know?

You need powerfunctions. Unfortunately, the LR train isn't made for them. A review I saw attached another car to the train to add the functions.

Basically, you'll need a battery pack, motor, IR receiver, and remote control.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Train-Motor-88002
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-IR-Receiver-8884
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-AAA-Battery-Box-88000
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-IR-Speed-Remote-Control-8879

Ainaurdur

I just now noticed that our good friend, Mouth, will be in the Black Gate set.

How do I justify the extra $60 on top of the $200 that day for Orthanc?

Been working on a lil MOC action this weekend after disassembling my Cafe MOC.

Completed work area.

Awesome work on the interior details!

I love seeing behind the scene design sketches. Do you have the designer's name? I recall there were some CMF design sketches floating around too. Always interesting to see how the final product differs from the original designs. Oh how I would love LEGO Scooby-Doo or LEGO based on classic cartoons.

I just now noticed that our good friend, Mouth, will be in the Black Gate set.

How do I justify the extra $60 on top of the $200 that day for Orthanc?

Lie to yourself. You'll thank yourself later. Also, you'll probably want 2 Black Gate sets, because Tower of Orthanc will make your Black Gate feel inadequate near it.

ghostmind

Easy. The Black Gate will probably release earlier than that. So you dont have to spend it all in one day. Just over a few weeks. :)

Unless you want to get 2x of the Black Gate set, to make it more accurate, then that will set you back $120. Apparently the 2x thing does come from TLG.

Since we don't have a Barad Dur set (yet), Orthanc will be taking refuge behind the wall instead in my re-creation.

Unless you want to get 2x of the Black Gate set, to make it more accurate, then that will set you back $120. Apparently the 2x thing does come from TLG.

I left that part out to make it seem less hurtful. And then you need lots of slopes and BURP to make the rock walls around the Black Gate.

A super detailed Osgiliath would be really cool as well. Some buildings intact, some in various levels of destruction.

Ainaurdur

Easy. The Black Gate will probably release earlier than that. So you dont have to spend it all in one day. Just over a few weeks. :)

Lie to yourself. You'll thank yourself later. Also, you'll probably want 2 Black Gate sets, because Tower of Orthanc will make your Black Gate feel inadequate near it.

Since we don't have a Barad Dur set (yet), Orthanc will be taking refuge behind the wall instead in my re-creation.

I love you guys. XD

I will probably hold back on picking up Black Gate right away since I am also considering a couple May Fourth options as well.
Might try for the 50% B-Wing, barring that, I definitely still want R2-D2 and Sith Fury-class. Depends on the final prices and availability.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

I won't lie, I think I would've fucking loved the theme just as much as a Scooby Doo/Ghostbusters rip. shame we never got a haunted pirate ship- should've kept the theme an annual Halloween thing :(

I love you guys. XD

I will probably hold back on picking up Black Gate right away since I am also considering a couple May Fourth options as well.
Might try for the 50% B-Wing, barring that, I definitely still want R2-D2 and Sith Fury-class. Depends on the final prices and availability.

Go to Wal Mart or Target for Sith Fury. It is $73 in stores. Best discount around on it.

Ainaurdur

Go to Wal Mart or Target for Sith Fury. It is $73 in stores. Best discount around on it.

It has also been $72 on Amazon for at least a couple weeks.
I have been trying to hold off since there are other sets that have been higher on my list to buy, guess I gotta cave on something soon.

It has also been $72 on Amazon for at least a couple weeks.
I have been trying to hold off since there are other sets that have been higher on my list to buy, guess I gotta cave on something soon.

Sith Fury will probably disappear sooner rather than later. But the B-Wing sale is too big of a savings to pass up. Hell, you could buy the B-Wing and Sith Fury this weekend for the price of the B-Wing any other time of the year.

Deefuzz

The bookcase a friend snagged for me from his job. Adjustable shelves!
SSD and A-Wing on top. In print modulars under it. VW Camper and trains below. Unexpected Gathering, Bug Obliterator, Sith Fury, Star Slicer, Lex Luthor, Thunder Wings, and Power Mech below. The bottom half will be in rotation, but the modulars, SSD, and trains will be permanent.

I LOVE how you've set up this bookshelf for display. I may have to steal the idea.

I love how the GE and PC are at an angle to show them off better, and how you've displayed the trains. Definitely considering stealing this display idea :)

Ainaurdur

Sith Fury will probably disappear sooner rather than later. But the B-Wing sale is too big of a savings to pass up. Hell, you could buy the B-Wing and Sith Fury this weekend for the price of the B-Wing any other time of the year.

Logic.

Cutting deep into my wallet with your logic, Bone!

I LOVE how you've set up this bookshelf for display. I may have to steal the idea.

I love how the GE and PC are at an angle to show them off better, and how you've displayed the trains. Definitely considering stealing this display idea :)

And thankfully could split Pet Shop to go on the shelves with other modulars. :)
The extra train cars are behind the main ones. Easily pulled out to show off.

Speaking of Barad-Dur, just HOW likely is it we are gonna get it now after the Orthanc reveal? Will it depend on how well that one sells or...?

JUST IMAGINE having them both, the Two Towers!!! I'd have em both in the living room, one on each end of the room so they could communicate with each other (via Palantir or whatever) and scheme evil plans of taking over the house!

Chuckie

After some time off I just had to buy this set.

I love the Loki and Iron Man mini-figs and the car is pretty awesome (and it is within my budget)

lego-loki-cosmic-cube-escape.jpg

Also got an extra surprise gift from my bro for my birthday (besides ICO/SOTC game)

70700a.jpg

I love the colors and design. Awesome for such a low priced set

What is the possibility that I could buy a second black gate secondhand with the minifigures removed? that would be a legit discount, no? I imagine all the people that pawn off figures on bricklink have a hard time moving the figureless sets

Edit: Looking at examples, for the Moria set I found the set without the characters and their accessories for sale for 35 dollars... Just over half off. If I could get a double-size black gae for a similar discount I am down.

continuing to browse these things. I'm gonna be doubling up on some sets methinks...... Ooo uruk hai army ballistas for 2 dollars. I could buy a bunch of those and line the black gate with them....

That new Creator plane is pretty slick and I know I'm gonna buy that house but I'll wait until the other places get them...the TRU tax is such a strong deterrant for me.

I love the Loki and Iron Man mini-figs and the car is pretty awesome (and it is within my budget)

Good call. That set should be on it's way out soon. I'm not into LEGO cars, but that truck was a fun build and looks great (after removing the flick missles)

What is the possibility that I could buy a second black gate secondhand with the minifigures removed? that would be a legit discount, no? I imagine all the people that pawn off figures on bricklink have a hard time moving the figureless sets

Edit: Looking at examples, for the Moria set I found the set without the characters and their accessories for sale for 35 dollars... Just over half off. If I could get a double-size black gae for a similar discount I am down.

continuing to browse these things. I'm gonna be doubling up on some sets methinks...... Ooo uruk hai army ballistas for 2 dollars. I could buy a bunch of those and line the black gate with them....

I think it's easier to find sets without minifgures on eBay. They make their money on selling minifigures. Only thing is shipping costs eat into the "savings" as shipping for set tends to be much higher than for minifigures. You could save more if you buy 2 sets and sell the minifigs for one of the sets.

I decided to change my display set and came up with this. A little bit on the ugly side as I have a very limited set of pieces but I think I did a good job
That curved piece for the exhaust hood on the oven is perfect. Never thought of that one.

And it seems ninja eateries are taking over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New creator plane is nice but I wish they'd do classic WWII ones - that looks so close to being modded into a mustang or something. I know they won't though. With that, fast flyers and sonic boom, it'd make a nice trio of planes to go along with my trio of trains.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

I haven't seen this before. I do believe this will be purchase this week.

lingiii

Banned

lol why does Wizard Battle require a brick separator. I've always wondered: what's the conditions for it to be included in a set? I always figured they just tossed them into expensive sets so the cost of including it wouldn't be a big deal compared to the whole.

EDIT: Council of Elrond has one, too? Are they just landing in all sets going forward or something?

Katoki

lol why does Wizard Battle require a brick separator. I've always wondered: what's the conditions for it to be included in a set? I always figured they just tossed them into expensive sets so the cost of including it wouldn't be a big deal compared to the whole.

EDIT: Council of Elrond has one, too? Are they just landing in all sets going forward or something?

My thoughts exactly but I'm not complaining. I jumped back in last year and after about $700 in purchases later (sometime last month), I broke down and ordered separators straight off the site with this small order I wanted.

This is definitely going to be my next desk display when it comes out.

Top Bottom