• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wait, wait...what?

My collectorscum hackles are getting taut thinking about missing out on the B Wing. The deals start on Friday?

from my VIP email from lego (UK but shouldn't matter)

HAPPY STAR WARS™ DAY!
MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU!
EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW FOR
LEGO® VIP MEMBERS!
Get a sneak peek at our May 3rd & 4th
LEGO® Star Wars™ offers:
FREE DELIVERY
with purchases of £25 or more!*
FREE EXCLUSIVE HAN SOLO™ (HOTH™) MINIFIGURE
with LEGO® Star Wars™ orders of £50 or more!*
PLUS LIMITED EXCLUSIVE STAR WARS™ POSTER
with any LEGO Star Wars order!*

so if I want to get the b-wing asap I have to go to the store on friday 3rd (when I am working) and not saturday the 4th when I am free to go whenever... o_O
that sucks.

iFlJVdD.gif

http://www.chrismcveigh.com/cm/lego_projects.html

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My wife is marching in a Parade on Saturday in Winchester VA, which is about an 1 hour to 1.5 hours from the Tyson's Corner Lego Store in DC. I don't know if/when I will be able to get to the store that day. Should I just order it online?

I've never disassembled a set, but now I've officially run out of display room in my house.

Planning to air dust sets before I break them down, as they've garnered plenty of crap over the years. Going to store the bricks in tupperware - should I sort piece by size or color? Any suggestions in general?

neonglow

People over at Brickset are saying it might be different discounts and sets in each region for May 4th. In Europe, it's looking like only 20% off for the B-wing.

I've never disassembled a set, but now I've officially run out of display room in my house.

Planning to air dust sets before I break them down, as they've garnered plenty of crap over the years. Going to store the bricks in tupperware - should I sort piece by size or color? Any suggestions in general?

never by colour always by type/size
in a tub or red bricks you will never find the one red brick you are looking for!

neonglow

My wife is marching in a Parade on Saturday in Winchester VA, which is about an 1 hour to 1.5 hours from the Tyson's Corner Lego Store in DC. I don't know if/when I will be able to get to the store that day. Should I just order it online?

I would lock it in when it's online. Then you won't have to worry about it.

You gotta be fucking kidding me!

20% ????

2 friends and I planned a whole fucking TRIP around this 50% discount to the Lego Store and now it's gonna be 20?

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

We might not go now, fuck you exclusive Han Solo figure!

damnit Lego...

Tupperware is fine, but if your collection grows, I recommend getting larger size plastic containers (around shoebox size). Use plastic sandwich and snack bags to keep them separate. I'll take a photo of my setup sometime and post. I know someone else asked about how others store their stuff.

How do you feel about selling vintage stuff? I'm sorting out my old boxes and packing completed sets, and it's cool that I still have boxes for the entire first Pirates range, amongst random City and Space sets. But looking at Bricklink, it seems saving these boxes for 20+ years wasn't much of an investment. It's strange, compared to stuff like Transformers that will cost at least twice as muched for boxed vintage, you only get another $10-20 or so. Of course, sealed items are really high.

I'm thinking that it's better to save them until I have someone to give them to.

How do you feel about selling vintage stuff? I'm sorting out my old boxes and packing completed sets, and it's cool that I still have boxes for the entire first Pirates range, amongst random City and Space sets. But looking at Bricklink, it seems saving these boxes for 20+ years wasn't much of an investment. It's strange, compared to stuff like Transformers that will cost at least twice as muched for boxed vintage, you only get another $10-20 or so. Of course, sealed items are really high.

I'm thinking that it's better to save them until I have someone to give them to.

if you don't need to turn a quick buck, I wouldn't bother selling it.
it's not as if it's burning a hole in your pocket.

I'm still drooling a bit over Orthanc. Got me wondering how many more big LOTR sets we'll get. Luckily there are like 16 more Hobbit movies coming out to keep the theme alive. Do you guys think that the success or failure of Orthanc will be the deciding factor if we get more big sets? I still want a true UCS set. My vote is for the Golden Hall. Minas Morgul would also be awesome with that sexy green.

Alright i really need help now guys:

According to LEGO GAF, is the B-Wing worth it at only 20% off? I did NOT get it at full price but i am now wondering, will it be discontinued soon after May 4th? What if this is the last chance to grab it since it's not even on Amazon so it won't be cheaper anywhere else hmm...?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Alright i really need help now guys:

According to LEGO GAF, is the B-Wing worth it at only 20% off? I did NOT get it at full price but i am now wondering, will it be discontinued soon after May 4th? What if this is the last chance to grab it since it's not even on Amazon so it won't be cheaper anywhere else hmm...?

The UCS stuff usually stays in print and available for two years. That said, it's a great set with some really clever tricks in the build, and 20% off would be more than enough of a deal for me. Everyone has to make their own decision with something as niche as the B-Wing, of course, but I think most LEGO fans would appreciate the build and the very nicely sized final result.

I'm still drooling a bit over Orthanc. Got me wondering how many more big LOTR sets we'll get. Luckily there are like 16 more Hobbit movies coming out to keep the theme alive. Do you guys think that the success or failure of Orthanc will be the deciding factor if we get more big sets? I still want a true UCS set. My vote is still for the Golden Hall. Minas Morgul would also be awesome with that sexy green.

Minas Morgul is horribly boring, and there's no real action happening there (Witch-King's major moment is on Pelennor), so it would be a waste. For the same reason I don't see Barad Dur, there's no scenes in it.

I still think we'll get the balrog, the Witch-King, probably a stand-alone Treebeard (as they specifically didn't name the Orthanc ent). Meduseld would be completely awesome (and include tons of characters), but I'm thinking it's too "boring" for a Lego set. There's not many action features you can include (except flick missiles in the throne), although Hama and Gamling would be cool. Something from Minas Tirith also seems a given - especially now that they have two sets to bookend the Pelennor battle.

For The Hobbit or both movies, Rivendell is still possible. We have two Mirkwood sets already, but Thranduil needs a reason to show up. Then it's quite likely that we get Laketown and/or Dale, something Dol Guldur, something nazgul tombs (with catapult to throw Radagast down a chasm), and one or two Smaug/Erebor related sets. Oh, and Beorn, most likely. And a Five Armies battle with like two soldiers on each side.

Ironmask

Minas Morgul is horribly boring, and there's no real action happening there (Witch-King's major moment is on Pelennor), so it would be a waste. For the same reason I don't see Barad Dur, there's no scenes in it.

I still think we'll get the balrog, the Witch-King, probably a stand-alone Treebeard (as they specifically didn't name the Orthanc ent). Meduseld would be completely awesome (and include tons of characters), but I'm thinking it's too "boring" for a Lego set. There's not many action features you can include (except flick missiles in the throne), although Hama and Gamling would be cool. Something from Minas Tirith also seems a given - especially now that they have two sets to bookend the Pelennor battle.

For The Hobbit or both movies, Rivendell is still possible. We have two Mirkwood sets already, but Thranduil needs a reason to show up. Then it's quite likely that we get Laketown and/or Dale, something Dol Guldur, something nazgul tombs (with catapult to throw Radagast down a chasm), and one or two Smaug/Erebor related sets. Oh, and Beorn, most likely. And a Five Armies battle with like two soldiers on each side.

we need a buildable Balrog, with whip and everything

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The actual Elrond set isn't nearly as fancy as the one used in the LEGO LOTR videogame (very nice chairs!), so I have my doubts an actual Balrog set would look like from the game.

ghostmind

The actual Elrond set isn't nearly as fancy as the one used in the LEGO LOTR videogame (very nice chairs!), so I have my doubts an actual Balrog set would look like from the game.

I'm sure TT Games had some artistic freedom, but I'm betting there is a variant of that Balrog somewhere in the depths of TLG, waiting to be produced.

I would love to see microscale models of all the major castles/ towers/ buidlings. It would be perfect for barad-dur and minas morgul, because they'd be cool to look at, but have nothing to translate into meaningful play features.

edit: Also, Last Alliance flashback set with a brick-built sauron, isildur, and young elrond. don't think it will happen but I can dream

ghostmind

The LEGO store did not get the June calendars today, so I'm not going to bother going there until the 4th. If I see it online, I will post it, of course.

And the LotR summer sets did not materialize today - whether they show up before June 1st is another question.

Damn. Just spent almost an hour going through a series 10 display at target. Guy said it just got brought out, so I had first dibs. At least 100 figures in the dump, and finally on the last ten I find my librarian girl to finish my series.

And of course no mr gold.

I don't think we're done with Pelennor Fields yet, as there is so much happening there for LEGO to draw on.

Elephants. Rohan cavalry. Grond. Witch king and fell beast. trolls and seige towers. A massive array of ways to interpret Minas Tirith. Trebuchets. orcs and orcs and orcs.

(in my dreams) Osgiliath, so Faramir has a place to retreat from after his ass is kicked.

Oh, and snagged Stagecoach Escape while I was out. :) Almost got the Silver Mine Shootout as well, but resisted. Later in the summer for that one.

EDIT: And I asked it yesterday, and was hoping some of our spies might know. LEGO no longer lists a Danbury, CT store on their site. Was the store canned or something?

Top Bottom