• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Toys R Us put out 3 sealed Series 10 boxes this morning. I spent a very long time searching through the bags, but no Mr. Gold.

I did get 5 Paintball Guys, a Librarian Girl, and a Sorority Girl though.

I also picked up the $25 Man of Steel set.

Damn. Just spent almost an hour going through a series 10 display at target. Guy said it just got brought out, so I had first dibs. At least 100 figures in the dump, and finally on the last ten I find my librarian girl to finish my series.

And of course no mr gold.

By the time I got to LEGO store, customer already went through 9 boxes. Employee said one lady grabbed a few and felt one saying it was Mr. Gold and bought them and left. I think she was just being strange or wishful thinking. Glad they did it so I didn't waste time looking for him.

How many parachute guys and bike mechanics did you feel out? They were the most out of all by far since some people already felt out the ones they wanted. I felt about 15 of those combined. I am missing the old guy and trendsetter only.

So what is the deal with Master Builder Academy sets?

They seem super pricey given the size of them.

You're paying for the "knowledge" also. The sets are supposed to be part of a training program for building techniques. I'm guessing you probably get some online access to some resources as well (not sure). Price is too high for me especially when it's pretty enjoyable to search for that similar info online free and see what other LEGO builders are making for inspiration.

Toys R Us put out 3 sealed Series 10 boxes this morning. I spent a very long time searching through the bags, but no Mr. Gold.

I did get 5 Paintball Guys, a Librarian Girl, and a Sorority Girl though.

I also picked up the $25 Man of Steel set.

Were the 5 paintball guys by choice? Are you a paintballer?

-----

Built the Lone Ranger stage coach. It's a beautiful especially for the simplicity of its build. The only interesting build techniques were the suspension system.

I cannot unsee the scale difference with the minifigs and horses since it was mentioned here. Still a great set. You can make brick built horses if the scale bothers you too much.

Marko723

Neo Member
Been following wetwired's progress on Cuusoo and it seems odd that his sporter stats on on the search page (sorted by most supported) are always behind the actual number on his product's home page. Everyone else seems line up. He, by rights should be showing further up the ranks and closer to the other GB.

At this moment I show a difference of 100.... strange.

Torn between actually going to the LEGO store on May 4th or just ordering online. Hmm...

The LEGO store is a 10-15 minute drive from my house.

lucky redditor, two in two days

tHm0YXyh.jpg

Naka

Here's my series 10 haul so far. Thanks to Bentbricks and feeling them out for me during lunch today. The only one I missing that I still want is the nerd girl.

f4e0c474b2be11e2b4b422000a1f903d_7.jpg

Here's my series 10 haul so far. Thanks to Bentbricks and feeling them out for me during lunch today. The only one I missing that I still want is the nerd girl.

f4e0c474b2be11e2b4b422000a1f903d_7.jpg

Nerd girl was the last one I needed, but it took forever to find it today. So many Village People mechanics and skydivers!

Naka

Nerd girl was the last one I needed, but it took forever to find it today. So many Village People mechanics and skydivers!

Yeah there were tons of mechanics and sky divers. I think he got confused when he was feeling them for me as I did have two Old Men. I think the cup through him off. I just traded him the second one for the Centurion as I didn't have that yet. I can't complain too much as he does all the work while I reap the rewards:).

lucky redditor, two in two days

tHm0YXyh.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/1di8pa/i_have_found_two_mr_gold_minifigs_in_two_days_i/

From the guy that found them.

"I bought one case of 60 from a seller in Northern Virginia that had one, and I found the other one today at a Target in Washington, DC. I did feel the packages, and someone missed Mr. Gold, because the box had definitely been picked through, but Mr. Gold was still there!"

I'm glad he did it legit so I'm happy for him. Can't believe he won't sell the 2nd one. I think the price will go down from the $500+ in time once the hype settles down.

Son of a brick! >:[

LOL

Legodt!

Naka

Now that I see the Mr. Gold figures already come with a verification code, I really think LEGO did this all wrong. They should have just replaced the normal paper insert with the Mr Gold insert that has a code. That way people (or crappy employees) couldn't feel them out for them and it would truly be random for everyone. It would also be more exciting as you could be hoping in every single pack you would find the "Golden Ticket".

Chuck

Still without luck
Our store is not allowing us to feel fig bags in the stock room at all. We're only allowed to do so with everyone else when we're not working. So if you want mr gold, I recommend Lego stores! :p

Ponn

Banned
Not sure how long they will last but a well rated seller on Amazon is selling 7 (I already nabbed one) Attack on Weathertop sets for 39.95, no tax $8 shipping. Must not have gotten the set retired memo.

Amazon El Linko

ghostmind

Our store is not allowing us to feel fig bags in the stock room at all. We're only allowed to do so with everyone else when we're not working. So if you want mr gold, I recommend Lego stores! :p

I wonder how many customers are going to ask you to help them feel the bags to find a Mr. Gold?

ghostmind

So what is the deal with Master Builder Academy sets?

They seem super pricey given the size of them.

There is a lot more to an MBA kit than the bricks themselves. Originally the program was set up more like a subscription service, where you bought an initial set than then qualified you to receive additional supplementary kits in the mail, every two months, at no extra cost. it was broken down like this:

L=Level; S=Set

L1S1 Space Designer (178pcs, book, minifig, building tray); $30 ; standalone entry point to MBA

L1S2 Microbuild Designer (155pcs, book); part of $70 subscription for S2-S6
L1S3 Robot Designer (222pcs, book); part of $70 subscription for S2-S6
L2S4 Flight Designer (150pcs, book, minifig); part of $70 subscription for S2-S6
L2S5 Creature Designer (232 pcs, book); part of $70 subscription for S2-S6
L2S6 Auto Designer (188 pcs, book); part of $70 subscription for S2-S6

So under the original distribution, you got 947pcs + 5 books for $70.

Level 3 contained 3 sets and was its own self-contained subscription:

L3S7 The Lost Village (229pcs, book, minifig, building tray); $60
L3S8 The Forbidden Bridge (220pcs, book); part of $60 subscription for S7-S9
L3S9 The Dark Lair (183pcs, book); part of $60 subscription for S7-S9

Thus Level 3 was 632pcs + 3 books for $60.

The books themselves are softcover, around 80 to 100 pages each, with good quality glossy paper, forwards written by LEGO designers (such as Jamie Berard), a bit of history, design, techniques and 3 builds step-by-step.

The MBA website is an extension of the kits, and features a to-do list for each kit, in order to earn badges on the site, and eventually a printable diploma. Also there are design challenges, galleries where kids post their creations and comment on builds, and unlockable videos and additional design instructions for their kits.

I know I'm sounding like a salesman here, but there is a lot more to MBA than at first blush. Just know that it is primarily designed for kids, which was the initial reason I purchased it (for my son). However the quirk of these kits (especially Level 3 and presumably Level 4) have got me hooked.

The downside is that TLG changed the distribution plan, so now you just buy Kit 1, Kits 2&3, and Kits 4-6 as three separate packages, at an inflated cost ($160 instead of the $100 I paid for Sets 1 to 6). Sets 7-9 aren't even available right now, so I'm not sure if they are going to be re-introduced when Level 4 released in July. I'm not even sure if Level 4 will go back to the old subscription model or not.

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm kind of surprised that they're doing a level 4 kit for MBA. Because as far as I can tell, MBA has been a huge flop. The subscription didn't go anywhere and now that they're in stores no one is buying them. And for a little inside baseball, TLG is actually doing a brand retail initiative/contest for the next month to try and sell more MBA sets. The top prize being iPad minis for everyone at the winning store that sells the greatest percentage of sets. It really seems like Lego really believes in these sets and just haven't been able to get the knowledge out. Either that or they're trying to cut their losses.

ghostmind

I'm kind of surprised that they're doing a level 4 kit for MBA. Because as far as I can tell, MBA has been a huge flop. The subscription didn't go anywhere and now that they're in stores no one is buying them. And for a little inside baseball, TLG is actually doing a brand retail initiative/contest for the next month to try and sell more MBA sets. The top prize being iPad minis for everyone at the winning store that sells the greatest percentage of sets. It really seems like Lego really believes in these sets and just haven't been able to get the knowledge out. Either that or they're trying to cut their losses.

It would have helped if they had made them available outside the USA. Also, when they changed the subscription model and jacked up the prices they pissed off some existing fans of the program. They've also seemed to have difficulty in communicating the program to consumers.

I'm glad to hear they are pushing it, but the measure of their commitment will be if they reintroduce Level 3 and what form (and price) Level 4 takes.

mrkgoo

I don't know what is so if I found a mr gold. O. The one hand, I'd prefer the money over the actual figure. On the other, I'm not sure how much I'd get online and have someone actually pay out.

robjoh

It would have helped if they had made them available outside the USA. Also, when they changed the subscription model and jacked up the prices they pissed off some existing fans of the program. They've also seemed to have difficulty in communicating the program to consumers.

I guess the problem is language here in Europe. How many translations can you do before the cost is larger than the profit?

Get assured sale at midnight, but wait days for it to deliver.
Or go into a madhouse of other LEGO fans, and not wait for the set.

Yep! Such options...

Wish I could just order online and then 'pick up at store' but I think I may just order online for piece of mind (and save my sanity).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well LEGO got back to me and say my parcel is still in the depot but they will reship the order by express delivery. I look forward to building the VW this weekend.

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Go...igure/Map.aspx

Only 60 found (or at least reported) so far.

A couple in NZ.
13 in the UK? Well I guess that decreases my chances of finding one. Guess I'll go to my local toy store today and see what is left. I just want the grandpa and clown really.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
LEGO should have had a standard version of Mr.Gold in the series to stop people feeling him out.
They should just have a code in every packet that you enter online to see if you won.

1. It would mean people can't feel him up.
  2. People can't sell codes because they don't know it is a winning code before they've used it.
  3. It's great for the kids. It's a bonus prize on top of the figure they already got.

LEGO should have had a standard version of Mr.Gold in the series to stop people feeling him out.

They should just have a code in every packet that you enter online to see if you won.

1. It would mean people can't feel him up.
  2. People can't sell codes because they don't know it is a winning code before they've used it.
  3. It's great for the kids. It's a bonus prize on top of the figure they already got.

My biggest fear if they did that would be speculators buying everything up and not being able to return the figures, thus having to Bricklink the regular figures. But could every speculator actually afford to do that? Probably not.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My biggest fear if they did that would be speculators buying everything up and not being able to return the figures, thus having to Bricklink the regular figures. But could every speculator actually afford to do that? Probably not.
Well when I read some people would buy a box, feel up the packets and then return them requesting a refund I thought it was pretty sickening, especially when at the end of the day these are also toys for children.

I suppose they could also do what McDonald's do with their Monopoly codes and only allow a certain amount of entries a day thus meaning someone buying a lot of packets would be forced to spend days entering the codes.

I suppose they could also do what McDonald's do with their Monopoly codes and only allow a certain amount of entries a day thus meaning someone buying a lot of packets would be forced to spend days entering the codes.

Disney Magic Rewards does this. I had a stockpile of Disney discs I never registered over the years and tried doing it all in one night. I had to split it among three nights because of the daily limit.

I don't know what is so if I found a mr gold. O. The one hand, I'd prefer the money over the actual figure. On the other, I'm not sure how much I'd get online and have someone actually pay out.

I'd keep it just because it's a cool "hard to find" rarity.

If I found a second I'd sell it to a buddy for $3.49.

Ainaurdur

I'm glad to hear they are pushing it, but the measure of their commitment will be if they reintroduce Level 3 and what form (and price) Level 4 takes.

I vaguely recall when they did the survey asking for input on the MBA program, I gave my opinions and then forgot about it.

I had only gotten S1 to try it out. I wasn't in a hurry to continue, but I would have liked to eventually. Then I did not realize they made the changes until a couple months after it happened, the fact that they decided to cease the sub model and just ship each pack at once is not really a problem, but the price increase was just a bit uncalled for. Now I am not sure if I will ever get any more of them. At least at one point I might have wanted all of them, now it would just be a select few.

Ultimately it is fine, I am not at a shortage for sets/themes and my budget has made me have to pass on some sets that I kinda wanted to focus on the ones I really must have. :)

Got this response from LEGO when I asked them why the Danbury, CT store listing disappeared:

Dear Sean,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

LEGO® stores are great fun! You'll find lots of LEGO toys, exclusives, clothes, bags and accessories. There's also a demonstration area where you can see LEGO toys being road-tested and our famous Pick-a-Brick wall! Sean, it takes a lot of time and research to determine new locations so we have a special team whose job is to find the best locations for new stores. Sometimes factors beyond our control affect the opening date or location for new stores and this is the case with the Danbury location. We are committed to opening a store in CT so as more details become available you will see updates at at http://stores.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx.

So it will be longer for a CT store. On the bright side, maybe it will be closer to me now.

I bought the initial Level 1 set last year and really dig it. But Level 1-2 and Level 2 didn't appeal to me. I'll definitely buy the complete Level 3 kit when/if they rerelease as a full package. Loving Level 4 as well, maybe I'll buy the subscription.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I nipped into my local toystore to pick up my first packets on S10 with the intention to find the clown and grandpa. I went through the whole box (no Mr Gold btw) and gave up. Worked out the sea captain and a few other but not the two I wanted so I went through a few packets to make sure they were all different and went to the till with four.

Got home and in the first packet... THE CLOWN! The second packet... THE GRANDPA! LUCKY! Also got the sea captain of course and the Mohawk.

DodgerSan

From previous experience are the may the 4th (and 3rd) deals online as well, or only in store?

I'm really hoping the b-wing 50% off happens (UK) but don't really want to cart all the way out to the store if I can get it online.

Some positive news for Mr. Gold. More power to them. I would sell mine for profit if I found one, but I would not resort to shady schemes to find one as we've heard some people do.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/05/02/mr-gold-charity-auction/

71001-19.jpg

Nice to see some good behavior coming out of this
(imo)
mess.

I was at a local toy shop this morning (one not known for LEGO) and every single employee asked if I was looking for Mr. Gold when I approached the box. If middle-aged women are all abuzz with the hunt then us man-children are screwed.

Frostburn

Well I finally caved about bought the X-Wing with a Target gift card I had. Going to build it tonight! Looking forward to the May 4th sale but with no stores near me I'll be looking to pick up some sets online.

Milamber

So glad there is at least one good news of Mr. Gold. Meanwhile, one store here got just one box restocked, after last week when one asshole has bought out the entire city's toy stores series 10 boxes, and already 2 people in front of me were fighting for first dibs.

Ironmask

So glad there is at least one good news of Mr. Gold. Meanwhile, one store here got just one box restocked, after last week when one asshole has bought out the entire city's toy stores series 10 boxes, and already 2 people in front of me were fighting for first dibs.

that is so irresponsible from LEGO, they should have known what this would bring to their loyal customers.
I repeat, they ruined the fun for everybody, kids, teens and afols world wide.

I was oot and aboot here in Canada this morning and I picked up the latest issue of Brick Journal at the local Chapters store (Issue 23 - April 2013) and was excited to see the old UCS Imperial Star Destroyer (at least that's what I think it is, unless it's someone's MOC) on the cover! And it says "The STAR WARS Issue!" right beside it. SO awesome. Oh, wait... I'm just flipping through it now and it's not the official UCS ISD. It's that large MOC of the that some guy made where the top comes off and there are many compartments inside that fit lots of minifigs. It's the Imperial Star Destroyer Avenger. It's... it's... beautiful. Oh, Jesus Jabba Almighty. A large scale Rancor! And instructions for building a mini-scale AT-TE walker. Daaawwww! AND instructions for building a midi-scale X-Wing with Death Star base. Sweet Sebulba this issue is spectacular.

Top Bottom