• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

The LEGO store opened 10 minutes early in Natick. No one else showed up in store until like 10:10. so I was chatting with the manager for a bit before checking out.

He thinks this won't be a good weekend because of the lack of good discounts outside of the B-Wing, and it is also Free Comic Book Day. That and the "Find Mr. Gold!" thing going when all the speculators have already ransacked the bins, and the rarity of many figures such as Medusa.
The time I was in there chatting though the people coming in were buying multiple B-Wings. One guy wanted 10 but they would only sell 2 to a person and only 1 Han figure per purchase. The guy pointed to his 4 year old next to him and said "Fine, he wants to buy a B-Wing and get a Han." The manager gave a "Really?" look to the guy and told him no. Good on him.

We also chatted about how many people buying this weekend want to actually build the B-Wing and not resell it. Their staff thinks probably only about 20-30% of buyers this weekend want to build it. They also worried about people buying them then doing non-receipted returns in a bit to get full store credit.

Apparently the Lone Ranger sets were a BIG hit with the staff. They got them in and were like "meh." But each person got to take one home to build then bring back and everyone was gushing over them.

On a very random find, I stopped by Wal Mart on the way back from LEGO to see if anything went clearance. They had TONS of Harry Potter stuff on the aisle. Only marked down 20%, but it was very random. They even had The Burrow! I almost snagged it, but $47 for a parts pack after dropping $300+ at LEGO was too much for me. Let someone else get it.

BJb3t39CcAEmwlU.jpg

But the haul today:
B-Wing
Sex-Wing
Hoth Han
Summer Scene
Spring Scene.

And I also snagged Silver Mine Shootout last night.

TIME TO BUILD!

Burrow!!!! Ahhh...I would have bought it. :) Hopefully someone that's not a reseller gets it.

Legends of Chima (summer):

credit to GRogall on Eurobricks.

I see a monkey mech I will buy and maybe the Tron cycle. Will get the Wolf pack big set if I find it 30% off or more.

Phoney can you please go grab that burrow set for me? I'll pay cost plus some extra for your trouble. You can probably get walmart to ship it to a closer store for you.

Heck. I'll take any Harry Potter sets still around.

I shall go get it right now. I owe you for that PAB cup. I will be back soon.

The two they had earlier were still there. They had a bunch of Night Buses for $17, Forbidden Forest for $10, and Freeing Dobby for $5. I could only afford The Burrow after the Star Wars splurge earlier.

Flyingpig, one of these is yours. Maybe a LEGO giftcard for the set, minus what you paid for that PAB cup months ago? Or perhaps certain sets you could send my way? PM me with what you are thinking.
You said you didn't want anything for the PAB cup, just good karma. I think it paid off. And good thing I didn't order that Minifigure Encyclopedia for you last night instead. KARMA!

As for the other one, I am on the fence about keeping it or letting it go to someone else on here. It does have a lot of nice parts in colors I do not have. But I know many on here would love it as a set more than I would.

Give me a few days to figure out what I want to do with the second one, but if I do get rid of it, it is yours Harry Potter. You got a response in first. Unless BentBricks wanted it with his response, but I think he was just pressuring me.

EDIT: Looked up prices for this set on Brickset. HOLY SHIT! This was a mega find for me then.

frogg609

So my damage from last night was as follows:

Sex-Wing
B-Wing
MBA 1
MBA 2 and 3
Modular Fire Brigade
Umbaran MHC
Flatbed truck (haven't seen this anywhere in stores by me)
13 minifigs

My wife hasn't divorced me yet. :)

The two they had earlier were still there. They had a bunch of Night Buses for $17, Forbidden Forest for $10, and Freeing Dobby for $5. I could only afford The Burrow after the Star Wars splurge earlier.

Flyingpig, one of these is yours. Maybe a LEGO giftcard for the set, minus what you paid for that PAB cup months ago? Or perhaps certain sets you could send my way? PM me with what you are thinking.
You said you didn't want anything for the PAB cup, just good karma. I think it paid off. And good thing I didn't order that Minifigure Encyclopedia for you last night instead. KARMA!

As for the other one, I am on the fence about keeping it or letting it go to someone else on here. It does have a lot of nice parts in colors I do not have. But I know many on here would love it as a set more than I would.

Give me a few days to figure out what I want to do with the second one, but if I do get rid of it, it is yours Harry Potter. You got a response in first. Unless BentBricks wanted it with his response, but I think he was just pressuring me.

EDIT: Looked up prices for this set on Brickset. HOLY SHIT! This was a mega find for me then.

Ya, couldn't believe you found it for that price. Let me know what you decide.

Phon, if there are two can you grab me one as well?

X-Wing
B-Wing
Stagecoach Escape
Han
6 - Series 10 figures

Then, I headed over to Zales and got some earrings for my wife because I felt bad.

Wait, something went wrong here with my joke!

I thought you got ACTUAL Yoda ears as a toy or something at the store (or another store) so i was joking by inferring you HAVE ears that look like Yoda's on your head naturally and asked what you got at the stor.... fuck i hate explaining jokes

Dude, what DID you mean by that? totally confused now LOL ;)

Anyway that is one awesome haul, both UCS there, we were debating which to grab and you just got em both, badass!

I thought you got ACTUAL Yoda ears as a toy or something at the store (or another store) so i was joking by inferring you HAVE ears that look like Yoda's on your head naturally and asked what you got at the stor.... fuck i hate explaining jokes

Anyway that is one awesome haul, both UCS there, we were debating which to grab and you just got em both, badass!

The LEGO store had Yoda ears they were giving out. It was a hat like the Burger King crowns.

Haha, what Phon said. I'll try to take a picture of it later. Waiting for Iron Man to start now. May the 4th be with you LEGO GAF!

Haha, what Phon said. I'll try to take a picture of it later. Waiting for Iron Man to start now. May the 4th be with you LEGO GAF!

That means i WAS right ;) you just didn't pick up on my joke dude :p

Anyway we didn't have ears here, but we DID get some strange limited/numbered Star Wars post card thing with a 35 mm film snippet in it from of the movie scenes...

Pretty lame i suppose as was that Yoda Chronicles poster we got! Anyway all i wanted was Han and we got that!

Vyer

My son turned 4 a week ago, and today he and I went out and had a Free Comic Book Day LEGO Star Wars morning. He came back to the house with Yoda ears on, a bag full of comics and mini figures. He was excited all morning.

Sometimes being a dad is extra awesome. :)

So I caved and went to the Lego store this morning to get a B-Wing. Man was it a hassle to get out of the house this mornig though. My little girl suddenly decided she didn't want to go into the car and wanted to run aruond outside just as we were heading out to go, It took me 10 min to get her in the car. When a 2 year old doesn't want to sit in her seat, there's nothing you can do about it.

When I got there, there was a pretty big line and everyone had a B-Wing and some had some X-Wings. The shelf was empty. I thought I was out of luck until I saw someone bring out two more and I snagged the last one. After I got mine, I saw them bring out 5 more. I guess they have a ton in the back cuz they kept bringing them out.

After all that, I see here that 5 min before I wanted to leave and 15 min before I actually left, they put them back up online. Man I could have saved myself some a lot of trouble =)

Alright, pondering whether to finally get Helm's Deep or not now...

It will be gone soon right?

Any final say on it? Yay or Nay?

Like i don't already know the answer sigh

Alright, pondering whether to finally get Helm's Deep or not now...

It will be gone soon right?

Any final say on it? Yay or Nay?

Like i don't already know the answer sigh

Yes, if you can find it at a discount. I think the rrp (£100 here) was a touch high. Personally I paid £50, but anything up to £75 would have struck me as reasonable.

Very enjoyable build, lots of interesting features/pieces, my favourite minifigure ever (Theoden), and scope to MOC a more realistic version!

My son turned 4 a week ago, and today he and I went out and had a Free Comic Book Day LEGO Star Wars morning. He came back to the house with Yoda ears on, a bag full of comics and mini figures. He was excited all morning.

Cherished them while it last, eventually they don't want to have anything to do with you. :/

I guess I can't complain my daughter still love building LEGO with me, even though she pretended not to care about them when we are at the store.

I just got back, and having lunch. I will post my haul and report in a bit.

Chuck

Still without luck
Sol 66 b-wings sold in 30 minutes after we opened. Probably to a bunch of dirtbags resellers. There was a line of like 15-20 people before we opened. For some reason manager allowed a 3 per customer limit. Luckily i got one.

Smaller lego store customers consider yourselves lucky!

Naka

Sol 66 b-wings sold in 30 minutes after we opened. Probably to a bunch of dirtbags resellers. There was a line of like 15-20 people before we opened. For some reason manager allowed a 3 per customer limit. Luckily i got one.

Smaller lego store customers consider yourselves lucky!

Any idea why they actually let people buy that many? Costs Mesa let people buy up to 5 and I was assed out. I got there at 10:05. Bah.

sqwarlock

Store still had the B-Wing I put on hold yesterday, so I got that and the Creator 7347 Highway Pickup since I've had my eye on it for a while. Lego weekend is go!

Any idea why they actually let people buy that many? Costs Mesa let people buy up to 5 and I was assed out. I got there at 10:05. Bah.

I think it is just vary from store to store. The store I went to only allow two per customers and most people only bought one. They hold one for me but I was the first one at the counter. The store did filled up quickly, I think in like 10 mins the entire store was full with people.

They only give out one Han per customer per day. The B-Wing were sold out in less than an hour at that store. (It's a small store and I think they only had about 30 or 40). Everyone there were nice and courteous, and I didn't see anyone come in asking to buy 5 or 6. Most people bring in their kids. I only see couple of X-Wing being bought however.

With my Barnes and Noble membership I've gotten two 20% off coupons in the last month (both for Mother's Day for some weird reason).

All the B&N I've been to at least have the architecture sets, and most have a selection of other ones like Creator, LOTR, and Ninja Turtles.

I got my friend the Korean arch set for her birthday and I just picked up the Fallingwater set today, bother for 20% off! Already paid off my B&N subscription for the year.

Here are the stuff from May the 4th.

QPcQebEl.jpg

UCS B-wing. $80.00 after LEGO VIP points. I fought off all the urge to pick up the UCS X-Wing. I am sure they will have more promotion later and I have very few Star Wars set left to get.

UgQ7qckl.jpg

I pick up Brick Journal magazine along with the last Spring Time set and Summer Time set. (These were also gone by the time I left the store). Oh and the Yoda ear.

AbcN2oSl.jpg

I stop by TRU on the way home and pick up JEK-14 mini-build. I looked around TRU but all their stuffs are way higher than other stores, so I ended up just buying the Mandalorian Fighter polybag. (It's currently free with $20.00 purchase).

flyingpig

Neo Member
Online limit is 5? Huh. Odd that it is so high. No wonder it sold out quickly. I was expecting limit 1 or 2. Hopefully I can order a couple and get some nice presents to give out later. And multiple Hans!

ghostmind

Word.

ghostmind

Iron Man 3 spoilers (relating to LEGO):

Did LEGO troll us with these sets? Purposely misdirect? Or did they have no idea what the plot of the movie was, because other than the Malibu Mansion the sets might as well be fanfiction.

That means i WAS right ;) you just didn't pick up on my joke dude :p

Anyway we didn't have ears here, but we DID get some strange limited/numbered Star Wars post card thing with a 35 mm film snippet in it from of the movie scenes...

Pretty lame i suppose as was that Yoda Chronicles poster we got! Anyway all i wanted was Han and we got that!

I missed it, my bad. I was so distracted by Phonciple's Burrow find.

Did LEGO troll us with these sets? Purposely misdirect? Or did they have no idea what the plot of the movie was, because other than the Malibu Mansion the sets might as well be fanfiction.

Just got back from seeing it, I don't think they had anything to work off of besides the characters. Even those arent very accurate, look at Mandarin and Killian. Why is his face so pale?

I think it's just their own creation to make the set more "exciting" for kids. I mean what are they going to do there is just no iconic scene in that movie. May be Iron Man driving an Audi if they can get Audi license since that seems to be the most prominent iconic shot than even the Iron Man in that shitty movie. (Yes, I saw it and absolutely hate the movie, and I am usually pretty tolerable of bad movie. I enjoyed Thor, Captain America and even Hulk).

Also you post in Iron Man thread about LEGO spoiling the scene, if you just meant the destruction of his Malibu mansion that was in every trailers.

Chuck

Still without luck

It was the store manager's call. I think she didn't really want to deal with them the whole weekend. I thought the limit should be 1 per household. *grumble dirtbag resellers grumble grumble*

Bummer you didn't get one. :/ did they offer you shop and ship?

ghostmind

I think it's just their own creation to make the set more "exciting" for kids. I mean what are they going to do there is just no iconic scene in that movie. May be Iron Man driving an Audi if they can get Audi license since that seems to be the most prominent iconic shot than even the Iron Man in that shitty movie. (Yes, I saw it and absolutely hate the movie, and I am usually pretty tolerable of bad movie. I enjoyed Thor, Captain America and even Hulk).

Also you post in Iron Man thread about LEGO spoiling the scene, if you just meant the destruction of his Malibu mansion that was in every trailers.

No I meant
Pepper being in the armor.

Chuckie

Also posted it in the IM3 thread, but maybe peeps here are faster...

Which suit is this:

ptjndLi.jpg

It appears to be different from the Mark 42, because it has silver and a blue chest light.

Finished X-Wing.

Short review: SEX WING INDEED!

Huge. Magnificent. It may be large and in charge, but is right at the maximum size to swoosh. Yeah, I flew that bad boy around a bit before putting it back on its stand.

Worth every single penny, and probably the best set this year so far.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finished X-Wing.

Huge. Magnificent. It may be large and in charge, but is right at the maximum size to swoosh. Yeah, I flew that bad boy around a bit before putting it back on its stand.

How does it compare to the old UCS X-Wing?

Ainaurdur

Finished X-Wing.

Red Five: Maximized for Your Swooshing Pleasure!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished the X-Wing, a very enjoyable build. I would make two complaints.

The canopy. Seriously, fuck you LEGO. I kind of wish there could have been an organized boycott of the set till that's fixed. Went through both sets and it's still a bit off. And when I removed one sticker it left a ton of residue on the plastic so I had to go to the sing and scrib the thing off.

Other is a lack of landing struts. Seems like such a missed opportunity.

Loved the rest of the build though. The Wings, not surprisingly, were a little repetitive but the main body was tons of fun. Also, glad to see they learned from the B-Wing and didn't make a crappy stand.

Ainaurdur

Finished the X-Wing, a very enjoyable build. I would make two complaints.

The canopy. Seriously, fuck you LEGO. I kind of wish there could have been an organized boycott of the set till that's fixed. Went through both sets and it's still a bit off. And when I removed one sticker it left a ton of residue on the plastic so I had to go to the sing and scrib the thing off.

Other is a lack of landing struts. Seems like such a missed opportunity.

Loved the rest of the build though. The Wings, not surprisingly, were a little repetitive but the main body was tons of fun. Also, glad to see they learned from the B-Wing and didn't make a crappy stand.

I don't plan on buying it any time soon, but if I do later on, I will probably not even try to put the stickers on the canopy. I would guess it still looks decent enough without them.

Top Bottom