• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

2 UCS kits in one day? You're a building machine Phon!

I think our top-5 lists for 2012 are almost identical now.
Gandalf Arrives was the one different one right?

And this year a tiny set might be on there for me. The manager at the Lego store today was as big a fan of Galaxy Squad Space Swarmed, and he was happy to hear I loved it as well. It really is a perfect little set.

I will finish Silver Mine tomorrow and let you know my thoughts on it, but after two UCS in a day, I am spent.

Just for today. X-Wing is when I have free time in the summer...

BE5B4FEB-7BA1-4195-B523-FB6429264E35-1573-0000010D144246B6_zpsc8e2c373.jpg

love this pic.

So did you just build two UCS sets today? Awesome.

edit: dammit!
Built two in under twelve hours. I move fast.
And building sets is a horrible affliction. But next week it is back to that Pie Shop MOC. I have a fun idea for what business to put in the second floor, but having trouble figuring out a technique to pull off a piece of furniture I want in it.

Edit in response to your edit: I was saying the UCS B-Wing knocks off the regular X-Wing from my best of 2012 list. The UCS X-Wing is at the top, or damn near the top, of my 2013 list so far. And it was better than the B-Wing. The mechanical functions definitely help.

ghostmind

Gandalf Arrives was the one different one right?

And this year a tiny set might be on there for me. The manager at the Lego store today was as big a fan of Galaxy Squad Space Swarmed, and he was happy to hear I loved it as well. It really is a perfect little set.

I will finish Silver Mine tomorrow and let you know my thoughts on it, but after two UCS in a day, I am spent.

Yep, I have Unexpected Gathering and you have Gandalf Arrives.

Just built the Swarm Interceptor aka gateway drug into Galaxy Squad (we just got that theme here in EU)

Though i am pretty disappointed that one of the coolest things included in the set - the Mosquito Alien was INCOMPLETE :( both antennas were missing for the head piece, i must say i am impressed overall:

The Interceptor is probably one of my favorite Lego ships i have built so far:

- Dat rotating B-Wingesque cockpit, effortless and looks awesome when swooshed!

- detachable mini Spacecraft

- looks pretty slick when done and is extremely swooshable

- movable wings into many different positions, giving the ship a unique look each time

- most of all though: those awesome hidden flick fire missiles, ingenious design!

9/10

highly recommended (no pics for now since i don't like displaying incomplete sets, maybe later when i get my antenna from Lego)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Didn't really want B-Wing or X-Wing (definitely not at S@H's prices), so didn't take advantage of the May 5th promo, but I did pick up the Shell sets:

lego_ferrari_shell_600.jpg

The pit crew polybag isn't available in the Netherlands, but I ordered that on eBay instead.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Didn't really want B-Wing or X-Wing (definitely not at S@H's prices), so didn't take advantage of the May 5th promo, but I did pick up the Shell sets:

lego_ferrari_shell_600.jpg

The pit crew polybag isn't available in the Netherlands, but I ordered that on eBay instead.

Nice! Looking forward to these coming out in the UK.

Crappy late morning pics of my building yesterday!

B-Wing in its current display spot. The SSD flys over near the door. The B-Wing over the windows on the opposite side of the apartment. It is the only UCS set outside of R2 that is shallow enough to fit on the shelves. Well, the SSD might be able to. I need to play with that.

Current display space for the X-Wing. It BARELY fits there and had to do some maneuvering to get it there. I want to get the wings back down on the Imperial Shuttle though.

I still have a table near the window cleared off that the SSD and Imperial Shuttle used to be on, but just worry about long term sun damage to the sets if I leave them there. Of course, just being in the room might do it, but it is not direct sunlight. I need to move stuff around so the ships can not be crowded and everyone can bask in their glory.

If the apartment were cleaner and I had a large enough surface area, I would get a pic of all the UCS sets I have in one spot.

The Doop

No clue. Never had it. Brickset compared them though.

But now it is B Wing time, baby!

So awesome! Been wanting this set for quite a while, but $199 was too much. I just ordered it from lego.com and it says back ordered w/ estimated ship date of 5/16. Are they making more for this sale?

robochimp

Hey guys been on GAF for a long time, I've been lurking in this thread for a while (changed email addresses never re-verified and didn't have the ability to post for like the last year and a half)

This thread has been responsible for me purchasing way too many LEGO sets.

I finally decided to fix my NeoGAF issue the other day when I saw that you guys still hadn't had final confirmation on the B wing sale on Friday. Because it just so happens that I threw together a blog(I have an almost two year old and I decided to blog some stuff I was making with DUPLO with some LEGO Star Wars reviews thrown in). So I have the LEGO Affiliate program for ads and they had actually sent out an email Thursday confirming all of the May the 4th deals. In the future I'll keep you guys up to date

I really love the Star Wars ships and have been slowly filling out my collection through ebay over the last few months.

I saw that a few of you have the SSD. How wide does that measure when built? Every mention of it, that i can find only gives me the length.

Naka

I ordered the B-Wing online this morning since I missed out in the store. It's back ordered 30 days, but at least I get it for 50% and the Han figure. Better than nothing :)

How did the dreaded canopy sticker application go, Phonciple?
Everybody is complaining about this sticker. Is it because you have to apply it so close to the edge of the canopy? Can't wait to get the UCS Sex Wing the next time my daughter and I go to the LEGO store. Even though I already have the B-wing, I'm totally jealous that everyone is getting it for half price. I paid full price for it back in the day and I feel like a chump! It's great to see it finally getting the love that it deserves.

Just finished the canopy, most stressful thing I did all week!

Also I figured out a new technique for applying the smaller stickers
Thank you! I'm definitely going to try this!

Helps a lot if you're like me

4lRIjbs.png
MAN HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

My LEGO desk. I sort of took over day room / guest room. Need to do something about display, I seems to run out of space in our family room and it's becoming very cluttered.

P8rMMGbl.jpg

golem

I ordered the B-Wing online this morning since I missed out in the store. It's back ordered 30 days, but at least I get it for 50% and the Han figure. Better than nothing :)

Actually what Lego did was kinda smart if they planned it that way.. tempt the resellers into clearing out all the physical inventory at stores, then take online backorders for people who really want it so they can just fulfill by shipping in from other territories or building new ones with a better estimate of how many to actually produce.

serious question, what would postage of the B-Wing to Germany be?
and would anyone wrap it nicely as a gift and send it on to his/her good old pal in Germany? ;)

[edit]
frack it they are now finally sold out or what?
still really bumded out about this being NA exclusive.

Naka

Actually what Lego did was kinda smart if they planned it that way.. tempt the resellers into clearing out all the physical inventory at stores, then take online backorders for people who really want it so they can just fulfill by shipping in from other territories or building new ones with a better estimate of how many to actually produce.

Do you actually think they will look at those statistics though? I could have just as easily ordered 5 online as well.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So has there been any update on Iron a patriot figure? Last I hard was some kinda Walmart preorder promo?
Yeah, it's a Walmart preorder bonus for the LEGO Marvel game. No news on when that'll be out or other retailers/countries' offers as far as I know.

Wonder if the B-Wing was just not a hot seller.... can kinda see it being a bit more niche fighter from the series. Don't think we ever seen a UCS reduced so much so quick other than the Jedi starfighter.

Welcome good sir. The addiction will consume you.

It took me about 3 weeks before I had already spent more on LEGO than I did on video games last year. It is an addiction. I am selling off a lot on ebay/bricklink though. Best thing about this hobby - you don't lose all that much on resale.

Now I want to get helms deep too

NeoGAF LEGO thread strikes again. This is an enablers thread, perhaps there needs to be a ABS Anonymous thread to help those who want to stop LEGO addiction.

Just built the Swarm Interceptor aka gateway drug into Galaxy Squad (we just got that theme here in EU)

Though i am pretty disappointed that one of the coolest things included in the set - the Mosquito Alien was INCOMPLETE :( both antennas were missing for the head piece, i must say i am impressed overall:

The Interceptor is probably one of my favorite Lego ships i have built so far:

- Dat rotating B-Wingesque cockpit, effortless and looks awesome when swooshed!

- detachable mini Spacecraft

- looks pretty slick when done and is extremely swooshable

- movable wings into many different positions, giving the ship a unique look each time

- most of all though: those awesome hidden flick fire missiles, ingenious design!

9/10

highly recommended (no pics for now since i don't like displaying incomplete sets, maybe later when i get my antenna from Lego)

Galaxy Squad needs more love on the thread. The Swarm Interceptor build experience was better than I expected. I've noticed current LEGO sets have tons of brackets due to the amount of SNOT work in them. The rotating detachable cockpit is a bit too much for me. Love the detachable part, but I will mod to stop it from rotating. Very swooshable!

Of the alien vehicles, I only have the Warp Stinger which looks great, but the tail has no articulation. I find this one to be more of a display piece than swooshable; although it's buzzable around the room a bit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cockpit sticker on x-wing is horrible. I did it fairly neatly first time, but it required a lot of rubbi to get the mottled look out of the clear part. If they couldn't print such a large piece, why not just do grey strips to line the edges - why fill in the clear parts?

I've noticed that pretty much all the big game online warehouses also carry Lego now, but it's mostly the same (high) prices. I'll probably need to keep an eye on any sales though.

Draxal

Wonder if the B-Wing was just not a hot seller.... can kinda see it being a bit more niche fighter from the series. Don't think we ever seen a UCS reduced so much so quick other than the Jedi starfighter.

It's probably the case, which is why the next one was a reissue of one of the most iconic ships in the series (tied with the Falcon).

golem

Do you actually think they will look at those statistics though? I could have just as easily ordered 5 online as well.

A 50% discount is pretty big.. obviously they werent selling well so they'll have to take that into account for future products.

It saddens me that this might be the end of having more obscure/unpopular vehicles for UCS.. probably unlikely to see things like the Sandcrawler (that could be a pretty cool playset), Slave 1, or Ebon Hawk (very outside possibility anyways I know) anytime soon.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone have any Medusa figs up for trade? Cannot seem to find any.

Edit: Nevermind, just ordered 2 off ebay. And ordered a second B-Wing. 100 dollars parts back. oh well.

rallaren

I have quite the feels for 4 of the bigger GS sets. Yikes.

Just finished Logging truck btw. Cool model. I like the look of the front. 1300 technic pieces with all the tinkering was a tad too much for me in one sitting though. The 4x4 will be more fun I hope.

Ainaurdur

Just grabbed The Mines of Moria off eBay for $64.52.
It would have been $61, but somebody threw in a bid with 10 seconds left. (My max bid was $65.)

Now I just need Helm's Deep and Uruk-Hai Army to complete my LotR first wave. Still haven't decided if I will be picking up all of the Hobbit sets or to pick and choose.

mrkgoo

Wow just discovered this thread... so adults buy and build Lego sets. Fair play.

Lego is really fun to play with. I don't even know why you would see it as just a pastime for kids.

In other news, there's going to be a display of NZ's largest private Lego collection in about a month or so. Could be fun!

notsol337

marked forever
Today I got the UCS X-Wing, Han Solo (Hoth), and The Empire State Building. I was super disappointed that I couldn't get the B-Wing, but I'll keep trying the LEGO site to order one.

Top Bottom