• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Did stores sell out of the B-Wing? Went to the local Lego store around 2:30 and they had tons still on the shelves and the sales people kept mentioning the half off sale to me as I walked by each one.

Only picked up the X-Wing, kinda wanted the Death Watch Mandalorian fighter though...

Did stores sell out of the B-Wing? Went to the local Lego store around 2:30 and they had tons still on the shelves and the sales people kept mentioning the half off sale to me as I walked by each one.

Only picked up the X-Wing, kinda wanted the Death Watch Mandalorian fighter though...

They are sold out at the store I went to. That Mandalorian Fighter is pretty neat, Wal-Mart have it for 39.99.

I could see this piece being useful for the modulars

PwGuS64.jpg

R-User!

I love this thread and you "guys" are great!

Got the B-Wing for $65!!! (used 35 VIP points)!

I can only imagine how many resellers snapped up those B-Wings.

Saw one husband and wife grab two each....... Yeah, cuz they're going to build one each and save the other for posterity.... >_>

I can't wait to build it in June! (got other priorities right now! When I build it I'll post pics! :)

Thanks for the heads up on the sale Chuck! :)

Naka

It was the store manager's call. I think she didn't really want to deal with them the whole weekend. I thought the limit should be 1 per household. *grumble dirtbag resellers grumble grumble*

Bummer you didn't get one. :/ did they offer you shop and ship?

Surprisingly no. I thought about going back and doing that when I got to my car but since it's free shipping on the website I decided against it.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Austin LEGO shop was out of B-Wings, so I resorted to the order-and-wait online scenario. Still will get a Solo minifigure, just have to waaaaait.

Wife did get me the Metropolis set for MoS. Dat Zod.

Damn it. I buckled. Just ordered the Quinjet and two series 10 figures from Lego.com so I could score Hoth Han.

If I hadn't seen Iron Man 3 today, I most likely would not have bought anything.

We need an Eye of Sauron set now.

There aren't really any play-scenes to put in it though, and I can't see them doing an architecture style model for LotR. It's a shame, as there could be a sweet lineup: eye of sauron/barad-dur, architecture-style orthanc, golden hall, minas tirith, minas morgul, rivendell, lorien, some bigger piece of moria, the shire as a diorama, helm's deep architecture-style.....

Minas tirith would be amazing. Would also cost about as much as the ucs MF to really do it justice.

Also want a treebeard.

Spread it out over multiple sets. Have the gate and the orc's battering ram as one thing, have wall segments and siege towers as another; have the rest as a massive 3000 piece UCS set.

Or, maybe 2 ucs sets: One of the lower layers with the wall and gate, and bottom part of the massive protruding stone, the other with the upper part of the stone/courtyard/citadel thing. I'd be willing to purchase 2 orthanc-sized sets a year apart to get both halves of it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can't open up the canopy >..<, I also wished they snotted the bottom of the sfoils

Are there instructions to make a holder for the B Wing that allows it to be in the Horizontal or Vertical position?

Don't know about vertical, but the stand as is should be adjustable to allow fully horizontal placement.

Ponn

Banned
So my Attack on Weathertp came today by postal mail while i was at work. Mail person left it outside my door, all day. I live in Jax Fl where we have had this unending rain for a week causing flooding. Suffice to say i picked up the box and literally poured water out of it. The box disentigrated in my hands. By some miracle the instruction book is a little clammy but not soaked and ruined.

ruxtpin

Banned
Thanks for the comments. It looks like progress is getting put on hold until I either -

a. rip apart a bunch of sets

or

b. place a large order on bricklink

I'll probably end up doing both.

I want so bad to place a massive bricklink order for loose 'rock' pieces. IDK what I'd use them for but I would have so much fun embellishing things with them.

Sex-Wang was a ton of fun. The end was a little repetitive but that was expected. The B-Wing will be going in the back log. The wife and I still need to finish Tower Bridge. I won't be rushing out to buy every SW set now but it felt good to immerse myself back in that world.

So how long did the X-wing take you guys?

Took me around 5 hours. Had some breaks in there.

Anyone else think the X-Wing wings could have used one more layer of tiles for reinforcement?

They don't seem very flimsy to me. Any thicker and I think they would have looked weird.

B-Wing completed. Yeah, it was awesome.

I loved the mirrored nature of the build. It was slightly repetitive, but the unique nature of it made it so enjoyable. It felt like building bricks just to build it again. When you slide the parts of the ship together, it feels like a sturdy ship.
The set is huge and magnificent on display, and thankfully shallow enough to fit on the top of my bookcases, unlike the other ships.

Downsides:
The cockpit. The main cabin is fantastic and so awesome, and I love the auto leveling nature of it. But the back end of it is so damn fragile. I kept monkeying with the back to get it more rigid, but it kept breaking in my hands.
And what was with the wings? They look great and whatnot, but after doing an entire set with SNOT everywhere, the final part is where you stop doing it and have exposed bottoms? I know it would have added bulk, but it was a slight letdown at the end.

But, this knocks the X-Wing off of my top 5 list for last year. And I just cannot look at the X-Wing the same way after the UCS build today.

Speaking of which:

The X-Wing. Large and in charge. An iconic ship that was so much fun to build and looks great when done.

Good stuff:
The main body. That is the best part of the whole set. The mechanics to get the wings working to all the SNOT work, the main body is the highlight of the build. The nose is good, but not as much of a surprise as the nose on the regular X-Wing was.

The Bad Stuff:
The window stickers. It was not as horrible as I was made to believe, but it was still a very stressful part of the build.

Biggest offense:
No landing pads for the ship? Come on! We had landing pads for the Imperial Shuttle, why cant the X-Wing get it? And no storage compartment underneath? Well, the slope on the bottom could double as it if you open it up.

But the UCS X-Wing is right at the tip top for this year so far. It will be a tough build to beat in my opinion.

I will post pics in the next few days of both sets. And of the five UCS sets I have all together. Well, six if you count the Best Star.

ghostmind

B-Wing completed. Yeah, it was awesome.

I loved the mirrored nature of the build. It was slightly repetitive, but the unique nature of it made it so enjoyable. It felt like building bricks just to build it again. When you slide the parts of the ship together, it feels like a sturdy ship.
The set is huge and magnificent on display, and thankfully shallow enough to fit on the top of my bookcases, unlike the other ships.

Downsides:
The cockpit. The main cabin is fantastic and so awesome, and I love the auto leveling nature of it. But the back end of it is so damn fragile. I kept monkeying with the back to get it more rigid, but it kept breaking in my hands.
And what was with the wings? They look great and whatnot, but after doing an entire set with SNOT everywhere, the final part is where you stop doing it and have exposed bottoms? I know it would have added bulk, but it was a slight letdown at the end.

But, this knocks the X-Wing off of my top 5 list for last year. And I just cannot look at the X-Wing the same way after the UCS build today.

Speaking of which:

The X-Wing. Large and in charge. An iconic ship that was so much fun to build and looks great when done.

Good stuff:
The main body. That is the best part of the whole set. The mechanics to get the wings working to all the SNOT work, the main body is the highlight of the build. The nose is good, but not as much of a surprise as the nose on the regular X-Wing was.

The Bad Stuff:
The window stickers. It was not as horrible as I was made to believe, but it was still a very stressful part of the build.

Biggest offense:
No landing pads for the ship? Come on! We had landing pads for the Imperial Shuttle, why cant the X-Wing get it? And no storage compartment underneath? Well, the slope on the bottom could double as it if you open it up.

But the UCS X-Wing is right at the tip top for this year so far. It will be a tough build to beat in my opinion.

I will post pics in the next few days of both sets. And of the five UCS sets I have all together. Well, six if you count the Best Star.

2 UCS kits in one day? You're a building machine Phon!

I think our top-5 lists for 2012 are almost identical now.

Top Bottom