• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

jpatez34

Neo Member
Stunning!

20130505215321.jpg

Cockpit stickers lived up to there reputation and my model now has a very large air bubble on the front window :-( Other than this little annoyance the new UCS X-Wing is officially my 2nd favourite model of all time, 1st being my SSD.

Looking forward to seeing what other UCS sets LEGO have lined up for us.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Is there anywhere I can look online to see the contents of a set?

I got my son Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout and I'm missing a small bag. I would love to see where this bag was supposed to be. Small one likely inside one of the larger bags.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just got the UCS x-wing. Still have the SSD to build :( alas, with an infant at home, Legos are practically death sentences, but fortunately my new house has a man room where I can build in privacy and make sure htere are no little dropped Legos for the little guy to choke on.

With any luck by the time he is old enough to help a new UCS falcon will be out, though at the current brick/price it will cost $800!!

Mr Spliff

Just came from Mastermind in Toronto, completed series 10 minifigs in one go. Took 90min and I was 16/16 feeling bags. Went through four boxes, no Mr. Gold. I think that I will just let it go because I really dont want to go nuts looking for one all over the city.

Got my first 6 Series 10 minifigs today.

3 skydivers.

3 YMCA mechanics.

Sigh.

Anyone have any Medusa figs up for trade? Cannot seem to find any.

Edit: Nevermind, just ordered 2 off ebay. And ordered a second B-Wing. 100 dollars parts back. oh well.

The distribution bothers me more than the goldengate "scandal" with Mr. Gold.

I really hope LEGO fixes the distribution issue next series. Only reason I can think they had 6 skydivers and 6 motorcycle mechanics is because they are much cheaper to produce than the ones where there are only 2. Either that, or they are moving closer to the much crappier ultra rare, rare, uncommon, common model Mega Bloks uses. I hope the 30 count box is a flop or they change it so the distribution doesn't have to be exactly the same between 60 and 30 count boxes, especially since the 30 count box only has 1 complete set anyways.

I've felt at least 200+ bags and I consistently find plenty of those 2.

The distribution is pretty darn bad, I hate how often I end up with multiples of the same figures...series 9, it seemed like I could only pick Cyclops and Chicken Guys...=/

I guess if I was better at feeling the bags, I'd do better but I often don't have the patience for that and just grab a bunch and hope for the best. Least I can sell them off if I don't want them.

I finished the mini scale Hogwarts I've been working on the past few days

Aragog in the Forbidden Forrest

I mainly worked off this image. I'm pretty happy with it. Still needs a few finishing touches like more blue clear pieces for the water near the rocks. I threw the Forbidden Forrest on as an after thought. Not sure if I like it or not. I need a few more elements to make it look right.

I mainly worked off this image. I'm pretty happy with it. Still needs a few finishing touches like more blue clear pieces for the water near the rocks. I threw the Forbidden Forrest on as an after thought. Not sure if I like it or not. I need a few more elements to make it look right.

Dude that is awesome! Nice work.

Just grabbed The Mines of Moria off eBay for $64.52.
It would have been $61, but somebody threw in a bid with 10 seconds left. (My max bid was $65.)

Now I just need Helm's Deep and Uruk-Hai Army to complete my LotR first wave. Still haven't decided if I will be picking up all of the Hobbit sets or to pick and choose.

Are you in the US? Moria is $55.00 and Weathertop is 42.00 at Fred Myers (if you have one near by).

Thanks peeps!

I love the mini-scale build and you did awesome job on those. Someday when I have enough bricks, I need to do some Star Wars scene.

Snowspeeder is next I hope.

@_@

Would love to see this reprinted/re-engineered/re-something.

Being new to this, I don't know what/when these UCS announcements happen during the year, if they're usually at a con or whatever, but after SSD and what I bought this weekend I fear I might be in for the long haul.

neonglow

Looks pretty good. Where did you source most of the pieces from?

I stopped by TRU on my way from the Lego store and ended up picking up the regular 16 series 10 figures. It took an hour, but I managed to feel for each one. The librarian was hardest to find cause I couldn't easily find the handle of her mug. The old man and Paris Hilton weren't very hard since they were the only one with flat plates. (2x2 flat plate for old man and 1x2 flat plate for Paris) The sea captain was somewhat hard to find until I realized the seabird was made of rubber.

My favorites from this series are the honeybee girl, painter and clown.

R-User!

Stunning!

20130505215321.jpg

Cockpit stickers lived up to there reputation and my model now has a very large air bubble on the front window :-( Other than this little annoyance the new UCS X-Wing is officially my 2nd favourite model of all time, 1st being my SSD.

Looking forward to seeing what other UCS sets LEGO have lined up for us.

If you use the tip of an X-Acto knife (or sharp tiny point of some pin or knife) to pearce and allow the air out of that bubble, then you will no longer have that bubble!...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just took apart the Imperial Shuttle to make shelf space for the X-Wing.

UCS Falcon is not even close to the worst model to take apart anymore. This thing was brutal.

I love the mini-scale build and you did awesome job on those. Someday when I have enough bricks, I need to do some Star Wars scene.

There are a ton of scenes from Star Wars that would be great at micro scale.

Looks pretty good. Where did you source most of the pieces from?

Thanks. I want to clean up the rocks a bit. First time doing that, I need some more practice. Most of the pieces came from Big Ben, and a few Indiana Jones sets.

Able to get the UCS Sex-Wing for 223AUD, which is actually very good in terms of parity, but the ETA is September :(.

Sourcing OS is just too expensive.

EDIT: Really don't understand why there isn't a Lego store in Australia.

I just took apart the Imperial Shuttle to make shelf space for the X-Wing.

UCS Falcon is not even close to the worst model to take apart anymore. This thing was brutal.

Yeah, the Imperial Shuttle was a beast to take apart. The main body is fine. It is getting the wings off of it then taking them apart that was the real trick.
At the same time, it does speak for how sturdy it really is.

I am in the US, but none of that store nearby. I was happy with the price I got on Moria though.

Yeah, I think they are only in pacific northwest. I got quite a bit of LEGO from them. They have buy two get one free last Christmas and I snap up most of the Star Wars sets they have. That is a good price for Moria in any case. (I think it is also going out of production also).

Okay, Flyingpig is getting one of The Burrows sets I snagged yesterday. He was a kind man and got me a PAB cup of random parts I had lamented about wanting and sent it to me months ago out of the kindness of his heart. Thanks to good karma, I found a set he was really wanting.

After some deliberation, I will sell the other to someone on here. I would only strip it for a parts pack, and I know others on here would take joy in it as a set and give it a better home than I.

BentBricks said first that I should go get it, but Harry Potter was the first to explicitly say he wanted it. But BentBricks sent me a PM about it.

So, which one should actually get it? I will leave it up to you both or everyone else to say who technically should get it.

Either way, all I am looking for in return is a giftcard or set equal to the amount I paid plus cost of shipping. No milking it for the resale value here. I want to spread love around.

Bone: Who do you feel actually engaged you to snag the extra one?

Both BentBricks & Harry Potter are very active users in this thread. In the spirit of avoiding a popularity contest, I'd recommend quietly choosing the recipient and running with it. Or start a voting thread :)

On another note...

I'm only a few steps into the B Wing. Mixed the bags, because at 1,500 pieces I want to enjoy it. Can someone tell me exactly where the B Wing appeared in the original trilogy? I saw all three in the theatre and honestly don't remember the ship.

ruxtpin

Banned
On another note...

I'm only a few steps into the B Wing. Mixed the bags, because at 1,500 pieces I want to enjoy it. Can someone tell me exactly where the B Wing appeared in the original trilogy? I saw all three in the theatre and honestly don't remember the ship.

Towards the end of RotJ you see a handful lock the wings into attack position as they fly towards the second Death Star. And then you see some though out the space battle above Endor. I don't believe there are any in ANH and ESB.

Bone: Who do you feel actually engaged you to snag the extra one?

Both BentBricks & Harry Potter are very active users in this thread. In the spirit of avoiding a popularity contest, I'd recommend quietly choosing the recipient and running with it. Or start a voting thread :)

On another note...

Return of the Jedi. Almost always in the background as it was never prominent. They could never show the raw firepower of of it on screen, but it does pack enough heat to take out a Star Destroyer by itself.

Ponn

Banned
I put Weathertop together today, shame about the box its unsalvageable so reselling is out of question. Pretty meh, cant see what inspired them to make this set. If you get this set its for the Nazgul and Merry. I dont regret getting this though bcause ive started some MOCing ideas for my Halloween scene that this and Mines of Moria will be used for. The little fig statue pieces in this set will especially come in handy. Also this set does have that neat spiral staircase build like Vampyre Castle which could come in handy. I guess by itself the set is pretty boring but some nice pieces for MOCing.

mrkgoo

Return of the Jedi. Almost always in the background as it was never prominent. They could never show the raw firepower of of it on screen, but it does pack enough heat to take out a Star Destroyer by itself.
The a-wing 'packs enough heat' to take down a super star destroyer ;)

Actually the SSD comes with a mini star destroyer for scale, right? Cool if it came with a tiny a-wing as well. It would probably be smaller than a single stud, however.

The a-wing 'packs enough heat' to take down a super star destroyer ;)

Actually the SSD comes with a mini star destroyer for scale, right? Cool if it came with a tiny a-wing as well. It would probably be smaller than a single stud, however.
Only reason the A Wing took out the SSD is the shield generator was down.

ghostmind

Built the IM3 sets today after seeing the movie yesterday.

v1wM8Rg.jpg

Too bad there wasn't a base on the Mansion, because its not a bad set.

Extremis minifigs' faces glow-in-the-dark.

Need that Iron Patriot now!

Well, it took one pass to take out the generators and then kamikaze an a-wing!
That we saw. The generators probably took a beating for a while before Ackbar wanted the ship down. A-Wings are for hit and run and dogfights. Not for heavy firepower.

But that pilot did go down like a champ.

mrkgoo

That we saw. The generators probably took a beating for a while before Ackbar wanted the ship down. A-Wings are for hit and run and dogfights. Not for heavy firepower.

But that pilot did go down like a champ.

My favourite quirk in the entire series is from ESB, when the AT-AT commander says, "Target, maximum fire power'" and then the next shot is the AT-AT shooting some rebel trooper on the ground. Poor guy!

But yes, I kind of want the A-wing Lego set. A cool little ship, and all 3 figures seem pretty neat. Star Wars Lego seems a bit steep though. A-wing set is NZ$50.

I still have my Yavin and x-wing with pilot set in my closet. Maybe I'll open that.

Fowler

Did you try to feel the bags or was that from Lego.com?

Edit: Feel the bags, Luke!

I tried to feel the bags. I failed bloody miserably. I don't think I've ever managed to successfully grab a minifig I thought I'd felt.

The funniest/saddest part was when I opened the bags and got 3 skydivers in a row, and thought "oh no, I bet I got six skydivers".

Then I opened the fourth bag and got the YMCA mechanic and was ridiculously happy about that.

Then I opened the other two and resumed swearing...

Dear Ghostmind,

All that gushing you did about Silver Mine Shootout was completely justified. I want to build a whole mountain around it, then buy lots of train tracks and add onto it and have a train burst out of it. It has so many neat action pieces to it, but it just feels like a setup for the beginning of an epic train chase.

Yeah, this set is really damn cool to build and so cool once done.

You were right, but of course I never doubt your tastes.

Sincerely,
PhoncipleBone

mrkgoo

I tried to feel the bags. I failed bloody miserably. I don't think I've ever managed to successfully grab a minifig I thought I'd felt.

The funniest/saddest part was when I opened the bags and got 3 skydivers in a row, and thought "oh no, I bet I got six skydivers".

Then I opened the fourth bag and got the YMCA mechanic and was ridiculously happy about that.

Then I opened the other two and resumed swearing...

I think the main key is to understand the mini figs from the set. Feel a unique piece and think about what it could be. I've yet to get one wrong. Granted, sky diver only has his backpack that would be relatively easy to feel.

Damn you! Well, next 20-30% Lego sale I think I know what I'm getting ...

Maybe. There certainly seems a premium on licensed sets.

A-Wing is easily found almost everywhere, so sales should be easy to stumble upon with it.

And yes, you want it. Cool lil ship, but I would put it third to the X-Wing and Y-Wing (non UCS versions that is.)

I do want an UCS A-Wing.

I put Weathertop together today, shame about the box its unsalvageable so reselling is out of question. Pretty meh, cant see what inspired them to make this set. If you get this set its for the Nazgul and Merry. I dont regret getting this though bcause ive started some MOCing ideas for my Halloween scene that this and Mines of Moria will be used for. The little fig statue pieces in this set will especially come in handy. Also this set does have that neat spiral staircase build like Vampyre Castle which could come in handy. I guess by itself the set is pretty boring but some nice pieces for MOCing.

I would be pretty upset if stuff I paid for come in full of water. I would have complain to somebody either carrier or seller. I read several reviews and comments here on GAF that the set is overpriced and sort of uninspiring. I am not sure if I am going to keep mine.

Is there anywhere I can look online to see the contents of a set?

I got my son Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout and I'm missing a small bag. I would love to see where this bag was supposed to be. Small one likely inside one of the larger bags.

http://www.bricklink.com/
Bricklink is doesn't have the most user friendly interface, but it has a complete parts list for sets.

http://www.brickset.com/
Brickset also has a parts list, but it's automated to pull from LEGO.com or something and doesn't always have a complete list. It does however have links to set build instructions in PDF format.

Nice work.

Okay, Flyingpig is getting one of The Burrows sets I snagged yesterday. He was a kind man and got me a PAB cup of random parts I had lamented about wanting and sent it to me months ago out of the kindness of his heart. Thanks to good karma, I found a set he was really wanting.

After some deliberation, I will sell the other to someone on here. I would only strip it for a parts pack, and I know others on here would take joy in it as a set and give it a better home than I.

BentBricks said first that I should go get it, but Harry Potter was the first to explicitly say he wanted it. But BentBricks sent me a PM about it.

So, which one should actually get it? I will leave it up to you both or everyone else to say who technically should get it.

Either way, all I am looking for in return is a giftcard or set equal to the amount I paid plus cost of shipping. No milking it for the resale value here. I want to spread love around.

To keep the good vibes going on and not make this into a goldgate scene, with a handle like, Harry Potter, he would appreciate the set more. Harry Potter, if for any reason you hate the Bellatrix Lestrange minifig, feel free to sell it to me for less than the aftermarket price. ;)

Damn you! Well, next 20-30% Lego sale I think I know what I'm getting ...

Maybe. There certainly seems a premium on licensed sets.

You want it, but just wait for it to go on sale. I personally picked it up yesterday because I earned enough VIP points for $10 off the set (aside from the 10% discount from the sale) so I paid about $13 USD after tax.

It's a great set though, plus Mug Ackbar is worth it alone while both Han and the A-Wing pilot are fantastic minifigs as well.

http://www.bricklink.com/
To keep the good vibes going on and not make this into a goldgate scene, with a handle like, Harry Potter, he would appreciate the set more. Harry Potter, if for any reason you hate the Bellatrix Lestrange minifig, feel free to sell it to me for less than the aftermarket price. ;)

Decided then. Thank you. Good karma coming your way sometime as well.

The Boy That Lived shall get the set. PM me details, Potter!

ghostmind

Dear Ghostmind,

All that gushing you did about Silver Mine Shootout was completely justified. I want to build a whole mountain around it, then buy lots of train tracks and add onto it and have a train burst out of it. It has so many neat action pieces to it, but it just feels like a setup for the beginning of an epic train chase.

Yeah, this set is really damn cool to build and so cool once done.

You were right, but of course I never doubt your tastes.

Sincerely,
PhoncipleBone

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think it is going to be the hidden gem of that theme, since at the $70 price point casual buyers/parents are going for the train set instead.

MOD'ing it to work with the Constitution train (or any other train) is a great idea. If you built the base up a bit to give the tunnel more clearance it should work.

Right now it is in contention for my 2013 Top 5, we'll see if it holds on until the end of the year.

mrkgoo

A-Wing is easily found almost everywhere, so sales should be easy to stumble upon with it.

And yes, you want it. Cool lil ship, but I would put it third to the X-Wing and Y-Wing (non UCS versions that is.)

I do want an UCS A-Wing.

You want it, but just wait for it to go on sale. I personally picked it up yesterday because I earned enough VIP points for $10 off the set (aside from the 10% discount from the sale) so I paid about $13 USD after tax.

It's a great set though, plus Mug Ackbar is worth it alone while both Han and the A-Wing pilot are fantastic minifigs as well.

Yes it's widely available here in NZ. I am, however, jealous of your Lego prices! We routinely have 20-30% sales here, but prices are already very high. A-wing is NZ$50, so I can probably hope for ~NZ$40, about US$30-35.

I actually owned the very first Star Wars lego xwing, but it's dismantled and joined with a large box of Lego that belongs to my brother.

It was cool at the time (I believe the mini figs had yellow skin!h, but was unimpressed over time. Been a while since then, but my Lego obsession has returned so I'm kind of starting over.

Top Bottom