• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So far just the Silver Mine Shootout and the Bug Obliterator. The UCS X-wing will undoubtedly join the list, but I haven't built it yet (nor have I built Arkham). And there is so much more still to come...

I still need Arkham. And Bug Obliterator was really great, but the beautiful simplicity of the Space Swarmer slightly edges it out for me. Maybe it is how impressive something so tiny can be. I expect big sets to impress me.
Horizon Express is in the contention for top 5 as well.
Star Slicer has no competition for most disappointing though.

And I have little doubt Orthanc will be on both our top 5s unless it really screws the warg. But I doubt it will disappoint.

Galaxy Squad has so many strong sets this year: Bug Obliterator, Space Swarmer, Swarm Interceptor and Vermin Vaporizer are all great. And from the early reviews, the second wave could be even stronger. I am sure that GS will be in the Top 5 in some form.

And yeah, Orthanc will make an impact, I am sure.

I just realized that I never commented on the GS sets that I received for Christmas. Bug Obliterator is indeed an amazing set with a great build. Space Interceptor and Space Swarmer are awesome as well, not to mention that they really are a brother/sister combination.

I still need to pick to the Vermin Vaporizer, maybe next month for the Jor-El promotion. Can't wait for the next wave of the series. But I'll be skipping both the Star Slicer and Warp Stinger. Aesthetically, they don't appeal to me.

Also, I wish LEGO would release an "army builder" pack for GS. A few more aliens and some new, unique, team members. Last but not least, I'd seriously watch an entire GS show produced by the Ninjago/Chima people.

Man I will never be on board with those who demonize the term Legos. Even today at work we had a "favorite childhood toy" question asked in our morning standup and half the answers were Legos and one of the last guys was like AHEM NOT TO BE PEDANTIC BUT IT IS LEGO and I just would not have it. Just on a fundamental level I feel like anyone who corrects someone who says Legos is sterilizing someone's joy of the product. "No, you are wrong to call your toys what you call them." It really riles me up. I will pluralize (and de-capitalize) my wonderful building bricks in whatsoever manner I please thank you very much.

(Also non-Lego bricks are the spawn of Satan, on this we can agree.)

I don't mind LEGOs or Lego or Legos but lately I find looking at the word Lego seems weird because most of the place where I read about LEGO it is written as "LEGO" which make me start writing them as such.

As far as non-LEGO stuffs are spawn of Satan, that could be true. What I object to is that these stuffs are "off-limit" just seems so wrong. I don't disagree that these other construction set are clearly inferior (I had my shares of helping my son put together the Megablocks). The few Kre-O I got the mini-figs were a big disappointment. They look good but the fit are terrible like all the non-LEGO). I think this is where LEGO always win, the fit on their bricks are unmatch by their competitors. Even when Hasbro (Kre-O) step up the quality of plastics, they still can't match the fit of LEGO pieces.

frogg609

I don't care about the acronyms, they don't bother me. What I really don't like is interviews I have watched or articles I have read where people complain about how at Lego conventions having all the kids there. It blows my mind that you have these adults, complaining about kids who have interest in a toy.

Makes 0 sense to me.

Nice work.

To keep the good vibes going on and not make this into a goldgate scene, with a handle like, Harry Potter, he would appreciate the set more. Harry Potter, if for any reason you hate the Bellatrix Lestrange minifig, feel free to sell it to me for less than the aftermarket price. ;)

Had a bunch of meetings this morning, finally catching up with the thread. Wow, thanks! Bunch of classy people up in here. I'm constantly on the look out for HP sets so if I come across a Bellatrix I'll send it your way. Thanks again, class act.

Decided then. Thank you. Good karma coming your way sometime as well.

The Boy That Lived shall get the set. PM me details, Potter!

Also a big thanks to you, sir. I'll give it a good home. I'll shoot you a PM and we can work out the details.

Looks fantastic. I have a few photos from different angles of the large hogwarts model on display at the Harry potter studios tour in case they would be useful

Awesome, I'd love to see those. I'm going to work on Hogwarts a little more when I get home so if any of you have critiques on it please let me know. I can take it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't care about the acronyms, they don't bother me. What I really don't like is interviews I have watched or articles I have read where people complain about how at Lego conventions having all the kids there. It blows my mind that you have these adults, complaining about kids who have interest in a toy.

Makes 0 sense to me.

The kids probably make them feel implicitly like they're being told "this hobby is for kids what's wrong with you." Serious business, dem bricks. Oddly though I've never really felt bad about continuing Lego fandom into my adulthood. Even video games I am a TINY bit ashamed of, but the Legos, I think they bridge the gap between childhood and adulthood really well. I'd love even to see a bunch of excited kids at a convention like that, kneel down and look at a set with them, and share in the "aw man look at that neat stuff" experience. "Building things" transcends all age groups, we should all be able to sit in a circle with a pile of bricks and let our imaginations run wild.

ruxtpin

Banned
One thing I've always wondered about builds like this: How the hell do dust this thing?!

I watched a vid about folks that go to competitions. During one interview the guy was talking and dusting a big display piece at the same time. He was using what looked like a painter's brush. I'd imagine it just had really soft bristles, but it made sense; I'm sure it worked well for getting in most of the crevices. I've been meaning to try and pick one up myself to keep things dusted.

DJ_Lae

My May 4th order is showing shipped. I was worried maybe they would cancel the Hoth Han minifig, but nope. Now the wait begins.

I went to check mine and immediately got excited when I noticed that all of the prices on the online shop were so cheap - then saw that my region had reverted back to US.

My order's still waiting. I do find it interesting that shipping was free, though - never used to be except in the case of certain promotions and I didn't think there was one over the weekend.

frogg609

My May 4th order is showing shipped. I was worried maybe they would cancel the Hoth Han minifig, but nope. Now the wait begins.

Mine is still on Customer Service. My B-Wing is showing as backordered, which bums me out because I ordered it within 10 minutes of being available. Hopefully my whole order won't be out sitting for a month.

Man I will never be on board with those who demonize the term Legos. Even today at work we had a "favorite childhood toy" question asked in our morning standup and half the answers were Legos and one of the last guys was like AHEM NOT TO BE PEDANTIC BUT IT IS LEGO and I just would not have it. Just on a fundamental level I feel like anyone who corrects someone who says Legos is sterilizing someone's joy of the product. "No, you are wrong to call your toys what you call them." It really riles me up. I will pluralize (and de-capitalize) my wonderful building bricks in whatsoever manner I please thank you very much.

(Also non-Lego bricks are the spawn of Satan, on this we can agree.)

I'd never waste my or their time on telling anyone to not say Legos but it still sounds wrong to me. Same as I don't correct people when they say "going to the ATM machine".

There is a right way and a wrong way and personally I prefer to be right. Everyone else can do what they want.

Mine is still on Customer Service. My B-Wing is showing as backordered, which bums me out because I ordered it within 10 minutes of being available. Hopefully my whole order won't be out sitting for a month.

yep, my order shows exactly like yours, and I did order within the first 10 minutes as well.

I went to check mine and immediately got excited when I noticed that all of the prices on the online shop were so cheap - then saw that my region had reverted back to US.

My order's still waiting. I do find it interesting that shipping was free, though - never used to be except in the case of certain promotions and I didn't think there was one over the weekend.

This happens to me all the time. I think I've stumbled upon a new sale until I see that flag.

DJ_Lae

The entire B-wing store page is missing, too - I was curious to peek at the instructions but it just gives an error page when you try to access it.

I had to look that up when I first getting back into LEGO and yes it's pretty dumb and sound degrading like it's terrible to be adult and build LEGO that they have to have special term for themselves. Looking through that list I am just left wondering who the heck came up with these terms ... half of the term sound like something from grade school.

Oh and just out of curiosity, do LEGO fans really hate the non-LEGO stuff like MegaBlocks, nanoblocks or the recent Kre-O? You know the "Clone"... according to the glossary these things are off-limit. Seriously? I bought a few Mega-Blocks for my son when he was younger and he knew that they are not LEGO but he enjoyed them just the same. I have some Transformers and Masked Rider set that was given to me and even bought a few non-LEGO stuff that I find interesting.

Whenever I buy a box of old Lego, the first thing I do is position a trashcan or bag nearby and toss out every single Megablock, they feel cheap, they don't connect well and I have a deep seated hatred for those blocks...=p

Ditto on the crowd hating AFOL, it looks so weird to me honestly. I'm just a fan of the brick and since it's for all ages...

ghostmind

I'm sorry to go off on a tangent for a bit here, but that father (who apparently is journalist working for "freedom of the press") is way too up his own ass to see anything but his own "outrage". The Amazon comments are even worse, "Rape culture? Yes please!,If you want your child to grow up in a world where rape apologists and street harassment are normalized, then this product is for you. Teach your child that harassing a woman on the street is normal behavior."

These are the stickers (that LEGO contracted out in 2010) in question, BTW:

0ZzwwDH.jpg

Yes, apparently these stickers promote rape culture. This generation of complainers needs some perspective in life.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm sorry, but that father (who apparently is journalist working for "freedom of the press") is way too up his own ass to see anything but his own "outrage". The Amazon comments are even worse, "Rape culture? Yes please!,If you want your child to grow up in a world where rape apologists and street harassment are normalized, then this product is for you. Teach your child that harassing a woman on the street is normal behavior."

These are the stickers (that LEGO contracted out in 2010) in question, BTW:

0ZzwwDH.jpg

Yes, apparently these stickers promote rape culture. This generation of complainers needs some perspective in life.

Come on man - Look at the expression on the guy in the upper left with the text "Gettin' dirty" - that guy looks ready to do some sex on someone, with or without their consent.

DJ_Lae

Come on man - Look at the expression on the guy in the upper left with the text "Gettin' dirty" - that guy looks ready to do some sex on someone, with or without their consent.

Or the 'I love this job!' with an obvious phallus reference in that cone.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

What time did you order yours? I just checked and it is still in Customer Service for me as well. :(

Frostburn

I placed my order within the first 2 or 3 minutes of the sale. My order is still in "Processing" at the moment but I'm hopeful it will ship soon. The closest LEGO store to me is at least 2 hours away from where I live in VA.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I placed my order within the first 2 or 3 minutes of the sale. My order is still in "Processing" at the moment but I'm hopeful it will ship soon. The closest LEGO store to me is at least 2 hours away from where I live in VA.

Yea, Same here. I didn't feel like driving 2 hours and 30 minutes to Tyson's corner from WV. I purchased mine at 12:01 and it has been in Customer Service since then. I just emailed support asking what exactly that means. I will update everyone once I hear from them.

Ainaurdur

I watched a vid about folks that go to competitions. During one interview the guy was talking and dusting a big display piece at the same time. He was using what looked like a painter's brush. I'd imagine it just had really soft bristles, but it made sense; I'm sure it worked well for getting in most of the crevices. I've been meaning to try and pick one up myself to keep things dusted.

Makes me think of the brushes that have the pipe cleaner style tip instead of traditional bristles. Forget what they are called though.

And my B-Wing order is currently showing as "In Process".

Ironmask

Harry Potter your work is astonishing, i really like it and gave me the vibe for cloning your work, beccaues my wife has an HP altar at home (with a lot of LEGO Minifigs) :)

about minifigs, today i received the LEGO collectable minifigs encyclopedia and i've found it really enoyable to read. A lot of info on how each minifig was made, wich unique pieces it has
and what some of the text on them means (like the librarian girl, the book is called "orange and peaches" beccause there's a libriarian joke about someone who misheard "the origin of the species" by Darwin)

R-User!

Or the 'I love this job!' with an obvious phallus reference in that cone.

Or the dude with the Jackhammer extending from his nether-region saying:
---------It's A Dirty Job---------
But Somebody's Gotta Do It!

:/

Edit: Or the guy in the top left corner:

Just my Day Job!

What's his night job?

Answer:
RAPE!!!

Harry Potter your work is astonishing, i really like it and gave me the vibe for cloning your work, beccaues my wife has an HP altar at home (with a lot of LEGO Minifigs) :)

about minifigs, today i received the LEGO collectable minifigs encyclopedia and i've found it really enoyable to read. A lot of info on how each minifig was made, wich unique pieces it has
and what some of the text on them means (like the librarian girl, the book is called "orange and peaches" beccause there's a libriarian joke about someone who misheard "the origin of the species" by Darwin)

Thank you! My first attempt at doing something at micro scale. I want to learn some more techniques. I'm putting in a bricklink order to get some pieces I don't have. Hopefully they will give the buildings a more finished look.

That's awesome, thanks for posting it! I was curious about the reason behind the book.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'd never waste my or their time on telling anyone to not say Legos but it still sounds wrong to me. Same as I don't correct people when they say "going to the ATM machine".

There is a right way and a wrong way and personally I prefer to be right. Everyone else can do what they want.

Sure, I think basically whatever "sounds right" to you is what you should go with. I wonder, though, how people end up developing what sounds right to them. If you grew up with Legos as a child, I highly doubt the correct pluralization was anywhere within your sphere of awareness, and I'd guess the "normal kid" way to say them would be "Legos." Put an S on whatever was on the box. And through a life of that, you become an adult who says it that way.

So for people who say it LEGO pretty naturally, how did that occur? Was it like that since you were a kid? Did you start playing with them only later as an adult? Did you learn the correct way somewhere in between and just decide to change, and got used to it from there? I'm curious for some reason.

lingiii

Banned
If you are just looking for Mini-figs then Extremis Attack set is pretty decent, you get both Iron Man Mk42 and War Machine. (As someone post above his shoulder cannon is a bit lame but easily fixable with other Lego parts.) The boat is pretty cool build, but you really buy it for the figures. This is my main problem with Marvel stuff, is that all the vehicles are just generic design. (Batman sets at least have all his signature vehicles). Oh and as a bonus you get zombie (Extremis) Killian that glow in the dark.

Yeah I picked up this one myself. Super weird set, completely incongruous with the movie, but great figs, and the boat itself actually isn't bad. Set's cheap, too.

154 More votes for Wetwired's Tumbler Cuusoo project to get to 10,000 Votes and Reviewable Phase!

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8919

and it turns out I only supported the Ghostbuster's car--missed this one in the shuffle somehow. Looks great though! +1

t-minus 151 now

Anyone made a more angled stand for the new x-wing? Want it leaning over at least 30 degrees

Phonce to the rescue, he has you covered.

I will post pics of the stand I made when I get home. :)

EDIT: And back home from work. I posted these pics a few months ago, but if anyone is looking for stands for the Sex Wing and Y-Wing, here is what I did.

It props the ships up, and gives them the appearance of flying around. Simple and easy to assemble, and rather stable. You can gleam most of what I did just by glancing at the pics. Clicking them will go to the full resolution ones to get a better idea. I tried making a similar stand for the TIE Fighter, but the huge wings make it very difficult to make it look like the ship is banking, and there is not much area for a stand to connect.

Well I just got an email from LEGO letting me know that my order has been delayed because the items I ordered are out of stock.
I made the order online within the first 10 minutes the deals went live.

DJ_Lae

Well I just got an email from LEGO letting me know that my order has been delayed because the items I ordered are out of stock.
I made the order online within the first 10 minutes the deals went live.

I can only imagine how long I'll have to wait, then - I got my order in when they briefly took orders again the following morning.

I can only imagine how long I'll have to wait, then - I got my order in when they briefly took orders again the following morning.

On the website the B-Wing shipping date for new orders says "Around 24th may" , so I guess that's worst case scenario. Makes you wonder how many units LEGO moved during the weekend, you LEGO? you should price everything at 50% less forever!!!

Top Bottom