• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Right now it is in contention for my 2013 Top 5, we'll see if it holds on until the end of the year.

Right there with you. Out of curiosity, what are your top sets this year so far?

I have not gotten too many 2013 sets so far, but the king right now is the UCS X-Wing. Silver Mine is really great though. It is the little touches in it that help make it so awesome. It looks neat when you glance at it, but the chaotic nature of the building process makes it stand out, and there are so many interactive elements to it.
Definitely a sleeper, much like Quinjet was.

ghostmind

Right there with you. Out of curiosity, what are your top sets this year so far?

I have not gotten too many 2013 sets so far, but the king right now is the UCS X-Wing. Silver Mine is really great though. It is the little touches in it that help make it so awesome. It looks neat when you glance at it, but the chaotic nature of the building process makes it stand out, and there are so many interactive elements to it.
Definitely a sleeper, much like Quinjet was.

So far just the Silver Mine Shootout and the Bug Obliterator. The UCS X-wing will undoubtedly join the list, but I haven't built it yet (nor have I built Arkham). And there is so much more still to come...

So far just the Silver Mine Shootout and the Bug Obliterator. The UCS X-wing will undoubtedly join the list, but I haven't built it yet (nor have I built Arkham). And there is so much more still to come...
I still need Arkham. And Bug Obliterator was really great, but the beautiful simplicity of the Space Swarmer slightly edges it out for me. Maybe it is how impressive something so tiny can be. I expect big sets to impress me.
Horizon Express is in the contention for top 5 as well.
Star Slicer has no competition for most disappointing though.

And I have little doubt Orthanc will be on both our top 5s unless it really screws the warg. But I doubt it will disappoint.

ghostmind

I still need Arkham. And Bug Obliterator was really great, but the beautiful simplicity of the Space Swarmer slightly edges it out for me. Maybe it is how impressive something so tiny can be. I expect big sets to impress me.
Horizon Express is in the contention for top 5 as well.
Star Slicer has no competition for most disappointing though.

And I have little doubt Orthanc will be on both our top 5s unless it really screws the warg. But I doubt it will disappoint.

Galaxy Squad has so many strong sets this year: Bug Obliterator, Space Swarmer, Swarm Interceptor and Vermin Vaporizer are all great. And from the early reviews, the second wave could be even stronger. I am sure that GS will be in the Top 5 in some form.

And yeah, Orthanc will make an impact, I am sure.

Chuckie

Built the IM3 sets today after seeing the movie yesterday.

v1wM8Rg.jpg

Too bad there wasn't a base on the Mansion, because its not a bad set.

Extremis minifigs' faces glow-in-the-dark.

Need that Iron Patriot now!

I am so jeaulous of you. You got all them suits

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I finished the mini scale Hogwarts I've been working on the past few days

Aragog in the Forbidden Forrest

I mainly worked off this image. I'm pretty happy with it. Still needs a few finishing touches like more blue clear pieces for the water near the rocks. I threw the Forbidden Forrest on as an after thought. Not sure if I like it or not. I need a few more elements to make it look right.

Looks fantastic. I have a few photos from different angles of the large hogwarts model on display at the Harry potter studios tour in case they would be useful

R-User!

I tried to feel the bags. I failed bloody miserably. I don't think I've ever managed to successfully grab a minifig I thought I'd felt.

The funniest/saddest part was when I opened the bags and got 3 skydivers in a row, and thought "oh no, I bet I got six skydivers".

Then I opened the fourth bag and got the YMCA mechanic and was ridiculously happy about that.

Then I opened the other two and resumed swearing...

holy shit! lol :/

always try to feel for the smallest or most unique piece and know what that piece is so that if you encounter it again you can more easily identify it. Also, ignore the torso, feet, and head. Its all about those small pieces/accessories!!!

You can do it!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My May 4th order is still showing as "Customer Service" when I check its status. I had hoped it would have shipped already. Any idea what Customer Service means?

Fantastic MOC above, not my flavour really but really appreciate the amount of minifigs.

So, I got my 7191 UCS X-wing down from the shelf and dusted it down a little. I still need to give it a good clean once it's broken down before reassembling but it's OK for now.

Remembered I need to replace some parts from the great shelf collapse of '02 so just placed a BL order, damn some of those were expensive!

Some of my favourite parts of 7191 that I miss in 10240:

Slope above control panel; what can you say other than printed goodness?

Top grebbles look more detailed on 7191 although maybe not as movie accurate.

Black hose is a wicked touch, you can never go wrong with hose.

Torpedo; just chillin.

Side by side:

Things I like in 10240:

R2D2 is properly inserted, he sticks out too much in 7191.

T bar in the engine, delightful. Also no more STAMPs using SNOT instead. Don't like the tan snot piece (middle right of shot) though so may replace that.

Pink engine glow is a massive improvement over 7191 which lacked any colour in the back of the engine.

Nice comparisons Bakkuma. The pink engine effect is a touch I really liked.
And you made me learn a new acronym: STAMP. After much searching, I found it means "sticker across multiple pieces." In other words, what holds back Maersk.

IronRinn

Snowspeeder is next I hope.

*Sigh* I have slowly gathered most of the parts to build one of these. Unfortunately a few of the orange pieces seem impossible to locate and to say the windshields are pricey is an understatement. Would love it if they did a new version of this set.

Nice comparisons Bakkuma. The pink engine effect is a touch I really liked.
And you made me learn a new acronym: STAMP. After much searching, I found it means "sticker across multiple pieces." In other words, what holds back Maersk.

Cheers.

Just after posting I wondered if I should have put the full meaning but at least now everyone will know.

Chuckie

Kind of a off topic question: Where do the names for the Iron Man suits come from? Are they named "Mark 17" and "Heartbreaker" by the fans, or does Tony Stark actually announce them in the comics?

They are not names from fans. There is an 'official' list with all the Armors from the movies.
Not sure about the comics, but I assume it is indeed Stark who names them. Mark 17 being the official dedicated number and 'Heartbreaker' the nickname.

ghostmind

Kind of a off topic question: Where do the names for the Iron Man suits come from? Are they named "Mark 17" and "Heartbreaker" by the fans, or does Tony Stark actually announce them in the comics?

A lot of it was from preview art that Marvel released before the film, showcasing all the armors, but if I remember correctly Tony actually does refer to that suit as Heartbreaker in the movie.

I'm not really the right person to answer this question, but my daughter and I saw the movie yesterday and during the scene where all of the suits are fighting at the same time, Tony calls out for the Heartbreaker suit by name (if my memory serves me correctly) at one point. And he does refer to many of the suits as "Mark XX" during the movie and you even see a "MK XX" label on one of the pieces of armour.

EDIT - Beaten like a rented mule!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just got an email that my B wing order, placed in the first few minutes the sale went live, is delayed.

I wonder if I will get the same, since my order is in "customer service." I hope I don't have to wait a month for my order... Placed my order at 12:01.

Calm Killer

DJ_Lae

I had to look up SNOT a while back as well.

I also confess that as much as I like Lego, I do not care for any of its fanbase's acronyms - MOC in particular.

Ainaurdur

For US: I just noticed Target.com has an offer for Spend $100 get 20% off.
spend $100, save 20%
Offer available online only. Save 20% on purchases of $100 or more of select LEGOS. Discount applied at Checkout. Discount not applicable to gift wrap, tax, or shipping and handling charges. May not be applied to previous orders. Offer expires 05/06/13 at 11:59 PM EST.
Seems to only show up on Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, and Ninjago sets. It ends tonight! Also gets you free shipping.

I just grabbed Helm's Deep and Uruk-Hai Army for $116+tax.

AFOL is the worst

I had to look that up when I first getting back into LEGO and yes it's pretty dumb and sound degrading like it's terrible to be adult and build LEGO that they have to have special term for themselves. Looking through that list I am just left wondering who the heck came up with these terms ... half of the term sound like something from grade school.

Oh and just out of curiosity, do LEGO fans really hate the non-LEGO stuff like MegaBlocks, nanoblocks or the recent Kre-O? You know the "Clone"... according to the glossary these things are off-limit. Seriously? I bought a few Mega-Blocks for my son when he was younger and he knew that they are not LEGO but he enjoyed them just the same. I have some Transformers and Masked Rider set that was given to me and even bought a few non-LEGO stuff that I find interesting.

Oh and just out of curiosity, do LEGO fans really hate the non-LEGO stuff like MegaBlocks, nanoblocks or the recent Kre-O? You know the "Clone"... according to the glossary these things are off-limit. Seriously? I bought a few Mega-Blocks for my son when he was younger and he knew that they are not LEGO but he enjoyed them just the same. I have some Transformers and Masked Rider set that was given to me and even bought a few non-LEGO stuff that I find interesting.

UuA75.gif

;)

I had to look up SNOT a while back as well.

I also confess that as much as I like Lego, I do not care for any of its fanbase's acronyms - MOC in particular.

I don't mind MOC too much although it does strip a project of individuality so names are far better.

AFOL is the worst

AFOL is bad but although it's not an acronym LEGOs is the absolute worst. Like punch in the face bad.

DJ_Lae

Oh yes, there's a deep-seated hatred for them, some of it justified.

Mega Bloks pieces don't fit together particularly well and are made of a weird plastic. I have a couple of sets that I like (the large scale Halo Warthog in particular) but they are a decidedly lower quality.

I have one Kreo set that I bought cheap, too, and its pieces seem to be made of the same (or very similar) plastic to Lego and have a decent overall construction. Their Kreo minifig-like things are awful, though.

AFOL is bad but although it's not an acronym LEGOs is the absolute worst. Like punch in the face bad.

My aunt asked the other day if I was letting my daughter play with my Legos. I just sort of stared at her for a moment before responding.

My aunt asked the other day if I was letting my daughter play with my Legos. I just sort of stared at her for a moment before responding.
everyone around me knows, if I had them, my kids would get their own LEGO to play with, not mine :p

It would be all, you can look at dads SSD but you cannot touch dads SSD ;)

Oh yes, there's a deep-seated hatred for them, some of it justified.

Mega Bloks pieces don't fit together particularly well and are made of a weird plastic. I have a couple of sets that I like (the large scale Halo Warthog in particular) but they are a decidedly lower quality.

I have one Kreo set that I bought cheap, too, and its pieces seem to be made of the same (or very similar) plastic to Lego and have a decent overall construction. Their Kreo minifig-like things are awful, though.

Responding with a punch to the face?

I've only tried Kre-o and it was a terrible experience. Got a small Optimus Prime for 50% off so only about £3. The build was awful as the parts were so stiff, I find it hard to believe kids can put those together easily. Never mind taking it apart. In the end I threw it out (in the recycling bin) in disgust.

Ainaurdur

It mostly comes from our love of the quality and consistency of Lego. The other brands simply do not have it.

I have never liked any sets/bricks that I have played with that were not Lego. I will admit I am curious about Nanoblocks, have not taken the chance on them yet.

As you pointed out though, both Kre-O and MegaBloks have gotten access to some other licensed IPs that Lego will never have. So that is one thing they have going for them.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Just bought and built the Wolverine Helicopter showdown. I bought it solely for Deadpool, because he is my homeboy and I have to say he might have the best backpack piece I've ever seen. Its my new favorite minifig piece, it just looks so well done.

What are some of the other good Marvel sets for a good price?

DJ_Lae

Responding with a punch to the face?

I've only tried Kre-o and it was a terrible experience. Got a small Optimus Prime for 50% off so only about £3. The build was awful as the parts were so stiff, I find it hard to believe kids can put those together easily. Never mind taking it apart. In the end I threw it out (in the recycling bin) in disgust.

Kreo is a joy to handle compared to Megabloks if we're talking stiff, although yeah, neither one of them compares to Lego's precise fit.

I do still really like the big Warthog, and some day may try to recreate it with Lego (though its wheels and the two custom windscreen pieces play a big role in how it looks):

ibDLzXJJGTwiR.jpg

Building that, though, made me appreciate Lego all the more. Megabloks manuals in particular are awful because they show you the previous step with the current step's pieces floating above it. I found as I put it together that I had to look to the next step to see where pieces were actually supposed to go. It was ridiculous.

That Warthog is also significantly heavier than the equivalent Lego pieces, I think. Whatever plastic they use is really dense and has an ever so slight bendy quality that I think contributes to how stiffly it all fits together.

R-User!

Just bought and built the Wolverine Helicopter showdown. I bought it solely for Deadpool, because he is my homeboy and I have to say he might have the best backpack piece I've ever seen. Its my new favorite minifig piece, it just looks so well done.

Spider-cycle Showdown is good: you get Spidey, Venom, and Nick Fury and a Car and Motorcycle; both of which convert to flying vehicles by having their wheels rotate to a flat Back to the Future Delorean style mode!

gokieks

Personally, I feel that getting annoyed with people saying "LEGOs" is like getting annoyed with people saying "Daylight Savings Time" - pointlessly pedantic.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Spider-cycle Showdown is good: you get Spidey, Venom, and Nick Fury and a Car and Motorcycle; both of which convert to flying vehicles by having their wheels rotate to a flat Back to the Future Delorean style mode!

That sounds awesome, and I don't mind getting more Vehicles/Figs, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man I will never be on board with those who demonize the term Legos. Even today at work we had a "favorite childhood toy" question asked in our morning standup and half the answers were Legos and one of the last guys was like AHEM NOT TO BE PEDANTIC BUT IT IS LEGO and I just would not have it. Just on a fundamental level I feel like anyone who corrects someone who says Legos is sterilizing someone's joy of the product. "No, you are wrong to call your toys what you call them." It really riles me up. I will pluralize (and de-capitalize) my wonderful building bricks in whatsoever manner I please thank you very much.

(Also non-Lego bricks are the spawn of Satan, on this we can agree.)

golem

Lego apologizes for cat-calling sticker:

Not long ago, Josh Stearns, a father of two young sons living in western Massachusetts, posted photos of a set of LEGO stickers on his Tumblr account. Stearns, who had just begun introducing the “diminutive building blocks” to his 4-year-old son, was appalled by the image of a hard-hatted construction worker waving at an unseen passersby, shouting “HEY BABE!”.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/05/lego-apologies-for-cat-calling-sticker/

If you are just looking for Mini-figs then Extremis Attack set is pretty decent, you get both Iron Man Mk42 and War Machine. (As someone post above his shoulder cannon is a bit lame but easily fixable with other Lego parts.) The boat is pretty cool build, but you really buy it for the figures. This is my main problem with Marvel stuff, is that all the vehicles are just generic design. (Batman sets at least have all his signature vehicles). Oh and as a bonus you get zombie (Extremis) Killian that glow in the dark.

Cracklink is right. I just put in another order. At least with this I'm caught up on replacement parts.

Oh, and the fun of finding alternative ways to get a piece. I needed medium flesh arms and couldn't find them separately. However, there was a PotC set which had them, which also gives me a Jack Sparrow and misc furnishings. Much better than actually tracking them down separately :)

Top Bottom