• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Stepn3 looks like you cut off some of the backing sheet leaving a small sticky part revealed. I guess to allow you to position it accurately without the whole sticker grabbing in the wrong place.

Step 2 I don't know. I just peeled them off and stuck them on. I wish they were just stickers for the grey frame and not the entire window though

Edit: you cut the pieces out first, then remove the outer part of the sticker (so you just have the actual sticker left on the backing paper) then cut away some backing paper to let you align it right.

I didn't read it properly before, got away with it though.

mjc

Spent like a half hour picking through series 10 bags trying to find a Medusa...seriously couldn't find one. At least I got two Roman Soldiers and a Warrior Princess out of it.

Spent like a half hour picking through series 10 bags trying to find a Medusa...seriously couldn't find one. At least I got two Roman Soldiers and a Warrior Princess out of it.

Call me a broken record, but SMH at the distribution in series 10. Thought it couldn't get worse than series 9, but I was wrong.

I went through well over 60 packets during lunch at LEGO store and felt 0 Medusa and 0 Librarians. Surprisingly a lot of old men (~4-5), 2-3 trendy girls, 3 boat captains, and two bees.

Unsurprisingly I felt somewhere in the teens of parachute guys. Good number of bike mechanics, but not a huge number surprisingly.

The casual buyer, kids, and those that cannot feel bags will get hurt the most. These are the people that will most likely stop buying CMFs if they get too many duplicates.

Well I just got an email from LEGO letting me know that my order has been delayed because the items I ordered are out of stock.
I made the order online within the first 10 minutes the deals went live.

I had two separate orders. One for the B-Wing, one for the X-Wing.

B-Wing is still listed as "status: Customer Service" and Red Five was just straight up cancelled like...30 minutes ago.

There are no Lego stores here.

Apparently I'm not allowed to ship it to an address just across the border to pick it up. Lego enforces their hilarious Canadian markup seriously, and has now told me to fuck right off.

Welp, that was a short lived honeymoon. If I don't end up with a B-Wing either because of this I no longer imagine myself buying a lot of these. The Canadian joke prices aren't nearly EU bad, but they are still pretty awful.

neonglow

I just got a shipping confirmation for my B-wing. I ordered about 5 minutes of it going live. It went from "Customer Service" to "In Process" to "Shipped".

ruxtpin

Banned
How would they even know that (going across to pick-up from someone in the states)? That's bordering on bizzaro-levels of border enforcement.

flyingpig

Neo Member

B-Wing is still listed as "status: Customer Service" and Red Five was just straight up cancelled like...30 minutes ago.

Apparently I'm not allowed to ship it to an address just across the border to pick it up. Lego enforces their hilarious Canadian markup seriously, and has now told me to fuck right off.

Welp, that was a short lived honeymoon. If I don't end up with a B-Wing either because of this I no longer imagine myself buying a lot of these. The Canadian joke prices aren't nearly EU bad, but they are still pretty awful.

Let me know if you don't get one and I'll ship you one at cost

Where are you in Canada? I'm in Montreal and my nearest LEGO store is in Toronto, that's a 6+ hours drive and huge no.
what you did is not allowed by LEGO, if tha t was possible we all will be doing that here in Canada, if you want USA prices you need an american address and an american credit card or a good friend in the states who buys the stuff for you while you transfer him the money, but our situation here Canada sucks bad, higher prices + taxes really makes you not want buy anything.

How would they even know that (going across to pick-up from someone in the states)? That's bordering on bizzaro-levels of border enforcement.

I honestly wish I could tell you. Unless they have manually checked every single address that's not the same as billing, I honestly don't get it. But then that would create a whole host of problems if people are using their parent's credit card, or ordering gifts, or who knows what.

It's a private residence too, so it's really freakin' weird.

Let me know if you don't get one and I'll ship you one at cost

Thank you. I may take you up on that. I really appreciate the offer. :)

Where are you in Canada? I'm in Montreal and my nearest LEGO store is in Toronto, that's a 6+ hours drive and huge no.
what you did is not allowed by LEGO, if tha t was possible we all will be doing that here in Canada, if you want USA prices you need an american address and an american credit card or a good friend in the states who buys the stuff for you while you transfer him the money, but our situation here Canada sucks bad, higher prices + taxes really makes you not want buy anything.

Manitoba. The nearest store is probably in the Mall of America. There are none in this province.

Yes, the situation is shit. Yes, it's ridiculous. But "not allowed by Lego" is a load of hooey. I paid them in American dollars. I paid them to ship it to an American location, and I did it from the American site. I have never had a retailer in the states ever block this sort of transaction before in an attempt to justify their own hilarity markup. Imagine if Amazon did that? Holy hell, getting stuck with amazon.ca prices would be the worst thing. :(

I even have an American dollar MasterCard! This apparently doesn't mean anything if my billing address is still a Canuck one. I will remember this for the future if I have to do some travelling stateside.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I just got a shipping confirmation for my B-wing. I ordered about 5 minutes of it going live. It went from "Customer Service" to "In Process" to "Shipped".

That is reassuring. Mine went from customer service to in process this evening. Hopefully it ships today.

mrkgoo

I honestly wish I could tell you. Unless they have manually checked every single address that's not the same as billing, I honestly don't get it. But then that would create a whole host of problems if people are using their parent's credit card, or ordering gifts, or who knows what.

It's a private residence too, so it's really freakin' weird.

Thank you. I may take you up on that. I really appreciate the offer. :)

Manitoba. The nearest store is probably in the Mall of America. There are none in this province.

Yes, the situation is shit. Yes, it's ridiculous. But "not allowed by Lego" is a load of hooey. I paid them in American dollars. I paid them to ship it to an American location, and I did it from the American site. I have never had a retailer in the states ever block this sort of transaction before in an attempt to justify their own hilarity markup. Imagine if Amazon did that? Holy hell, getting stuck with amazon.ca prices would be the worst thing. :(

I even have an American dollar MasterCard! This apparently doesn't mean anything if my billing address is still a Canuck one. I will remember this for the future if I have to do some travelling stateside.

Pfft. I'm in NZ where the Lego prices are probably leagues worse. Lego (well I assume its Lego) won't allow me to buy from Amazon, as they won't allow it to be shipped to NZ.

No Lego stores here, just toy stores. I generally have to wait for 20-30% sales to get products to benignly moderately higher than US as opposed to ridiculously higher.

I used to be able to buy mp3s from amazon but they blocked me once they figured I was back in NZ.

chidrock

So I saw this on X-Wing review thread over at EB.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/8687483331_18175ceb99_c.jpg

So what's the deal with steps 2 and 3, I'm a little confused...

2. You peel off an extra border?
3. You cut part of the backing paper off so you show some sticky area?

Yeah, if you do that you can hold it better to line everything up and then peel it back like its a hori screen protector and lay it on the glass. I actually did this with the other large stickers and everything came out great, so I'll probably do this from now on with any big stickers on sets I get in the future. (I use tweezers for the smaller stickers so my fingers don't mess them all up)

One tip I can give on the x-wing canopy is to go from front to back on the main sticker. The picture shows it going from side to side, but I went the long way and it came out really good. I messed up one of the side stickers and had to peel it back a bit, but it didn't come out too bad.

I came in expecting the worst, but everything worked out pretty good. I have two bags left, but am happy with the set so far.

Ainaurdur

Well my hoth Han and poster shipped. B-wing ordered in the first minute is back ordered.

Yes, I got an email saying the exact same thing. Will be funny to get the small box weighing practically nothing at all.

I don't remember how long I was until clicking to purchase that night, within the first 15 minutes? I will just trust them to get it worked out in the end. (I hope.)

If not, I will tell them I will gladly accept a Tower of Orthanc set at 50% off on day one! ;)

ghostmind

This is what I'm going to attempt - see if I can manage to trim off the clear sections and apply only the border.

qVGYeFb.jpg

Redberyl

Neo Member
Just a heads up tracking info for FedEx shipments that went out today from US LEGO should now be available.

I ordered 1 B-Wing right after the sale started and tracking info says the package is 10 lbs (Hooray!).

I ordered around 2 minutes after the deal went live and got an email stating it is back ordered. Fuck I want this thing!!!! I would have went to the store and picked it up if I would have known it would be back ordered.

Ehhh

mrkgoo

In honour of all you guys getting the UCS X-wing, I decided to crack open my Yavin and Xwing minifig set :p

In other news, I was looking at my bags of 'extra pieces' that I keep for each set, and noticed that my highway speedster has some 1x1 plates. None of my other sets seems to have 1x1 plates as extra pieces. Is this a new policy? Or maybe one of the alternate models in that set uses 5....

I just wanted to know if I am missing my extra pieces for my blue roadster set I used in the first moc.

neonglow

In honour of all you guys getting the UCS X-wing, I decided to crack open my Yavin and Xwing minifig set :p

In other news, I was looking at my bags of 'extra pieces' that I keep for each set, and noticed that my highway speedster has some 1x1 plates. None of my other sets seems to have 1x1 plates as extra pieces. Is this a new policy? Or maybe one of the alternate models in that set uses 5....

I just wanted to know if I am missing my extra pieces for my blue roadster set I used in the first moc.

The main model of many creator sets don't use all the pieces. There's usually a plate of some kind left over that's used in other alternate models.

mrkgoo

The main model of many creator sets don't use all the pieces. There's usually a plate of some kind left over that's used in other alternate models.

Yeah I realise this, but these 1x1 plates are definitely extras as it's not listed in the contents. Just wondering if other sets ever had 1x1 extras that weren't round.

The mini x-wing is pretty neat. I like to put the lasers underneath the wing as opposed to on top, as I think it looks better.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just checked this morning and my Bwing order is still in processing, same as last night. I also have not received a return email from support about it.

wetwired

My 5 boxes of series 10 showed up today, don't like my chances of getting a gold dude though :(

Also Hi :)

I haven't had a chance to visit much, Sega Australia announced they're closing their doors when we finish Castle of Illusion so all my spare time at home has been spent working on a pitch some of us are putting together for a game idea. I wish I could tell you guys more but you'll have to wait unfortunately.

My 5 boxes of series 10 showed up today, don't like my chances of getting a gold dude though :(

I haven't had a chance to visit much, Sega Australia announced they're closing their doors when we finish Castle of Illusion so all my spare time at home has been spent working on a pitch some of us are putting together for a game idea. I wish I could tell you guys more but you'll have to wait unfortunately.
Best of luck with the pitch.

Calm Killer

Good luck man!

Vyer

Too bad about your place closing. That's a shame it seemed people are excited for CoI. Good luck!

wetwired

I think it should do well, I never actually played the original back in the day (I have since) but I think what we've done should both appeal to the original fans and make some new ones.

Welcome back, and good luck. You have a lot of supporters here.

It's really disconcerting how quickly studios are being shuttered after shipping a game. I realize the industry is in flux but it sure sucks to hear.

ruxtpin

Banned
dammit. I got two of the canopy stickers applied on the spot. The other two I messed up and now they look like fog city. Time to request more from Lego.

seriously. I would love to know why they could print the B-Wing canopy (which seems to have sold far less - because of the 50% discount) and left the X-Wing canopy a sticker (which - I'd imagine - will be a bigger seller since it's an icon of Star Wars).

IronRinn

This is what I'm going to attempt - see if I can manage to trim off the clear sections and apply only the border.

qVGYeFb.jpg

When I get this eventually, I think I'll try the same.

Waiting to see if someone attempts to just airbrush the border onto the canopy. Seemed like a fairly easy job until I saw some of those fine lines and rivets on the sticker.

R-User!

As others have said, good luck on you pitch, and I hope CoI sells like bonkers!

122 to go!

ghostmind

I think it should do well, I never actually played the original back in the day (I have since) but I think what we've done should both appeal to the original fans and make some new ones.

Looking forward to playing it (well my son the platforming guru will be playing it mostly).

Kickstarter is my kryptonite, so also looking forward to your pitch!

Buying individual bricks off Bricklink is more frustrating than I expected. I wish they had a cleaner layout.

Does anyone know if LEGO has made the skeleton leg piece in dark grey?

ruxtpin

Banned
So... Someone posted this YT video of their UCS X-Wing build. Of particular note is the part where the guy/gal puts the stickers on the canopy. They put the canopy in water and applied the decals wet. Then let them dry.

I'd never seen this technique used before for standard stickers. I used to build scale models when I was younger and recall specific water-slide decals, but that's not what Lego provided us.

Did a bit of Google-ing to see if I could find some more steps on this water application technique and found this link. Looks like these RC car builders were using a bit of water and dishsoap to apply stickers to their RC cars.

I'm going to order some more of the X-Wing canopy decals and give this method a shot.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm pretty sure LEGO doesn't replace sticker sheets for licensed sets.

They will if you pay. And you can also order replacements off Bricklink (but none of the canopy stickers are up yet). I've purchased numerous sets where the sticker sheets had been folded in half and the stickers were falling off, sent a request to Lego and they replaced them with a new sheet.

My SSD stickers came all mashed up. I contacted them via the support options and explained my issue and got a replacement set.

In most cases, they ask me to supply some code from the back of the manual in order to prove I bought the set.

DJ_Lae

Huh, the order I placed the following morning on my B-wing has shipped.

I'm surprised - expected ship date when I ordered was the 16th.

They will if you pay. And you can also order replacements off Bricklink (but none of the canopy stickers are up yet). I've purchased numerous sets where the sticker sheets had been folded in half and the stickers were falling off, sent a request to Lego and they replaced them with a new sheet.

My SSD stickers came all mashed up. I contacted them via the support options and explained my issue and got a replacement set.

In most cases, they ask me to supply some code from the back of the manual in order to prove I bought the set.

That's good to know! I thought they flat out wouldn't do it.

Some of the stickers in my UCS Starfighter were bent, but the thing was $35 so I didn't even look into it.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm still on the fence about stickers. Generally I don't like putting them on. If I do, and then tear the set down, I keep all my 'stickered' pieces consolidated so I can keep track. I've gotten into the habit of ordering an extra set (or two) of stickers for licensed sets. I feel better knowing I have some back-ups.

In the case of the X-Wing, I really want all the stickers going on to look their best.

Top Bottom