• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

robjoh

I don't think anybody here buys everything LEGO puts out, no. Even completing larger themes like Star Wars, Creator or Technic would be incredibly costly.

I know I know, just exaggerates :)

The thing is, it is insane I had promised myself not to buy anything before I am in my new apartment, and suddenly I am buying more Lego...

I know I know, just exaggerates :)

The thing is, it is insane I had promised myself not to buy anything before I am in my new apartment, and suddenly I am buying more Lego...

I've kinda gotten over the need for a new fix atm. but mainly due to massive constraints in my new flat.
The backlog of sets in my closet obviously tells a different tail :p

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Backlogs? I've got two-thirds of Arkham left and Helm's Deep.

There's a boxed Goblin King Battle, but no incentive to build that- just there for the parts!

LEGO USA: Wow sir you're truly evil.

People at work are wondering what the hell I'm laughing at. I don't think there's a legitimate way to explain this to them.

Just tell them it's a gift for whomever you're shipping it to, and while they're at it gift wrap it for your trouble.

A good idea, thank you.

At this point though I'm really interested in what they'll say. How silly this whole thing turned out to be.

DJ_Lae

The idea of a Lego backlog blows my mind. Whenever I pick something up (even multiples) I absolutely cannot wait to build it and everything else gets put on the backburner until they're done.

ruxtpin

Banned
Do you really need to buy everything Lego puts out?

I mean, what kind of question is this?! Of course I do.

The idea of a Lego backlog blows my mind. Whenever I pick something up (even multiples) I absolutely cannot wait to build it and everything else gets put on the backburner until they're done.

My backlog keeps building. It's not a matter of if I want to build, it's AMOS (a matter of space). I'd love to build my Pet Shop, Imperial Shuttle, Death Star, Tower Bridge, Tie Fighter, Helm's Deep, Arkham Asylum, Maersk Train, Apple Tree House, Mines of Moria, and more...

robjoh

it's grown since last I posted it...

And I am pretty sure we have worse offenders here.

Offenders is such a hard word...fellow addictive friends maybe?

Backlogs? I've got two-thirds of Arkham left and Helm's Deep.

There's a boxed Goblin King Battle, but no incentive to build that- just there for the parts!

But if you bought it for parts why have you not opened it?

Sounds like me...but I do not buy multiples.

mine's pretty calm at the moment - two helms deep, 4x4 crawler, highway hauler, ninjago epic dragon battle thing

Calm? You have more in your backlog than I have bought this year...

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
But if you bought it for parts why have you not opened it?
My sorting backlog is bad enough as it is already, trust me :p

I have two massive crates of unsorted raw brick. Need to get a lot of that organised before i'm even going to consider opening it!

robjoh

My sorting backlog is bad enough as it is already, trust me :p

I have two massive crates of unsorted raw brick. Need to get a lot of that organised before i'm even going to consider opening it!

Impressive, so much Lego that sorting new bricks is a problem...

7lVr8tC.jpg

This is so awesome.

ghostmind

I don't think anybody here buys everything LEGO puts out, no. Even completing larger themes like Star Wars, Creator or Technic would be incredibly costly.

I have every set in the Star Wars theme since 2010 (save for multi-set packs and extremely limited exclusives), and am currently working on 2009.

robochimp

On backlogs.
I've got a huge stash, most of the alien conquest series, Lex's power armor, and the wolverine Deadpool set all sitting in a closet waiting unopened for the day my now almost 2 year old son is ready to start building. It's going to be at least a few years from now.

I couldn't pass on the clearanced Alien conquest sets.

Frostburn

While waiting on my UCS B-Wing to come in from Shop@Home I built my normal X-Wing and love it! Just placed an order for the A-Wing and Tie Fighter from Amazon, by then my B-Wing should be in to start on! I was going to stick to just Castles and Modulars (Plus some LOTR/Hobbit sets) but now my new love is Star Fighters! I'll try to edit this post with some pics of my recent builds.

Naka

Has anyone pre-ordered anything from Walmart.com before? I want to ensure I get my Iron Patriot minifigure with the new Marvel game which the site says its a pre-order bonus for now. I just wonder if it's a safer bet to get it in store or not. I've only ever done pre-orders at gamestop so I'm not sure how good Walmart is with giving out the bonuses.

Has anyone pre-ordered anything from Walmart.com before? I want to ensure I get my Iron Patriot minifigure with the new Marvel game which the site says its a pre-order bonus for now. I just wonder if it's a safer bet to get it in store or not. I've only ever done pre-orders at gamestop so I'm not sure how good Walmart is with giving out the bonuses.

I just put the pre-order in on the Walmart website about 15 minutes ago and was going to ask the same question. I figured if it came down to it, I would just return the game for a full refund if it doesn't come with the minifig. Hopefully I can pre-order in store too, but not sure when that will start.

DJ_Lae

I always

xhK4cz2.gif

Mix the Bags

When my B-wing arrives I'm going to open all the bags (except maybe the final bag with the stand pieces) and dump them on the floor.

wksU0.jpg

Only set I haven't done this with yet is the Fire Brigade, though I did mix each floor's bags (and suffered so much courtesy of the awful reddish brown and brown pieces and my colour-impairedness).

I just put the pre-order in on the Walmart website about 15 minutes ago and was going to ask the same question. I figured if it came down to it, I would just return the game for a full refund if it doesn't come with the minifig. Hopefully I can pre-order in store too, but not sure when that will start.

Any word on whether Canadian retailers will be offering this?

No. Canadian retailers always secure & distribute exclusives differently than their American counterparts. The Gamestop Elrond minifig for example ended up showing up at Toys R Us as free giveaways.

Jørgen Vig Knudstorp is thinking right now new a very viable ways for us Canadians to get this minifigure

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My back log keeps growing as well. I will grab a picture when I get home. Basically I am out of space to display anything I build now, unless it is small. I want to build everything I have. Hell I want to go to my parent's house and get everything I have in their attic out and just sort for days, but that won't be happening for at least 3 more years. Need to build/buy a house and then have my LEGO room setup correctly.

Edit: Also I think I missed out on the $350 Eiffel Tower 10181. The guy wanted Paypal and I told him I would, but then I read Craiglist suggestions and they say always meet in person. I was apprehensive after that. He said he had another buyer that would Paypal him the money, so I think I missed out. Sucks but O well....

Edit: Also I think I missed out on the $350 Eiffel Tower 10181. The guy wanted Paypal and I told him I would, but then I read Craiglist suggestions and they say always meet in person. I was apprehensive after that. He said he had another buyer that would Paypal him the money, so I think I missed out. Sucks but O well....

I think you missed out on getting scammed.

Jørgen Vig Knudstorp is thinking right now new a very viable ways for us Canadians to get this minifigure

I'm sure he's scouring the list of Canadian proctologists as I type this.

neonglow

My back log keeps growing as well. I will grab a picture when I get home. Basically I am out of space to display anything I build now, unless it is small. I want to build everything I have. Hell I want to go to my parent's house and get everything I have in their attic out and just sort for days, but that won't be happening for at least 3 more years. Need to build/buy a house and then have my LEGO room setup correctly.

Never ever use Paypal for Craigslist. If they can't accept the cash in person, there's something very wrong.

You could always meet in person before sending the Paypal payment. If you have a smartphone, you could even use it to send the payment while at the meeting with them. Still carries the risk of being mugged or shot or otherwise assaulted... Is Lego worth that risk to you?!

I can never keep a set in the box for more than day before the urge to build it overcomes me... How you guys can keep backlogs I'll never understand!

R-User!

You made the right choice!

R-User!

You could always meet in person before sending the Paypal payment. If you have a smartphone, you could even use it to send the payment while at the meeting with them. Still carries the risk of being mugged or shot or otherwise assaulted... Is Lego worth that risk to you?!

I can never keep a set in the box for more than day before the urge to build it overcomes me... How you guys can keep backlogs I'll never understand!

Unless he meets in a police station parking lot. Odds are he won't have any problems in that setting... But you still never know I guess...

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
You made the right choice!

Yea I think so too. If he emails me back I will tell him I will meet him in person. Not doing anything else. Also found some LEGO by the pound on Craig's list for pretty cheap. Emailing about those.

Yea I think so too. If he emails me back I will tell him I will meet him in person. Not doing anything else. Also found some LEGO by the pound on Craig's list for pretty cheap. Emailing about those.

It sounds super shady. I really think you dodged a bullet. I found someone selling the midi Falcon for $20 but never heard back. It was disappointing.

Are there any services which poll & alert you to Kijiji / Craigslist postings based on certain criteria?

Ironmask

350$ for the tower was a really good deal, but it was really possible to be a scam. I've sawn an offer for the Grand Carousel at 100€ it was too good to be true and quick check on my database proved that the guy was a well known frauder

lingiii

Banned
Maybe someone can explain Bricklink to me? I want to pick out a bunch of parts generically, then have Bricklink set up orders to individual sellers for me. I want to set up a list of pieces and then buy those pieces.

I feel like a Wanted List should solve this, but I can't tell how.

ghostmind

Sales pitch for Galaxy Squad.

Wasn't too excited about the Hive Crawler set, but check out the model review video of the leg action (link below). Also, seems like a decent parts pack with the dark red pieces that I like. Not huge fan of lime green, but lots of pieces in that color for first time.

Tiny new bug pieces are cool as they are 2 bugs in 1.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/05/06/70708-hive-crawler-review/

Does anyone know of a US retailer currently selling the summer wave of Galaxy Squad? TRU has been unavailable since their original shipment.

flyingpig

Neo Member

ANYTHING ON CRAIGSLIST WITH PAYPAL NOT IN PERSON IS A SCAM. DO NOT BUY IF IT IS NOT IN PERSON.

Lego is a surprisingly popular scam on Craigslist now. Be aware.

So I just checked my order from the past weekend and the B-Wing is now showing as In Process rather than Backordered as it had been. Maybe it's going to ship soon? I hope so, getting that itch to build! Anyone else's backordered B-Wing showing as a different status now?

Top Bottom