• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

That will be a new small set. Denethor at a table with all the food, and it comes with a Pippin figure of him in his Gondor uniform so he can sing.

That actually is a good idea. I was thinking of it like a joke, but the more I think about it it would actually work pretty well and be a small lil $12 set or so.

Would buy. Ya, I'm picturing the table in Unexpected Gathering. Maybe a little shorter, with lots of food and plates on it.

Death Star is my planned family christmas present this year (last year was Diagon Alley and a few other things). However, I'm hoping there's a 20 or 25% off Star Wars Lego sale at Toys R Us because that $500CDN retail price stings and even VIP points don't amount to a whole much.

You can get some good deals at those sales. TRU slashes some "unpopular" sets when it's clearing them out but sadly Death Star is web-only up here so it won't get cut.

This week's deal is 20% off all City sets. No dice.

Would buy. Ya, I'm picturing the table in Unexpected Gathering. Maybe a little shorter, with lots of food and plates on it.

And some badass chairs. Maybe throw in some Guards of the Citadel.
Action%20Figure%20Toy%20Biz%20ROTK%20Minas%20Tirith%20Citadel%20Guard.jpg

A mini figure with that helmet would be awesome.

DJ_Lae

You can get some good deals at those sales. TRU slashes some "unpopular" sets when it's clearing them out but sadly Death Star is web-only up here so it won't get cut.

This week's deal is 20% off all City sets. No dice.

I could have sworn I saw the Death Star and SSD fall under a 20% off sale at some point on the Toys R Us website, but maybe I'm imagining it.

I can hope, anyway.

Superstore also has 20% off all city sets this week too. I peeked at them - tempted a little by the flatbed tow truck but man the prices on those vehicles seem so inflated that a mere 20% off does nothing.

I could have sworn I saw the Death Star and SSD fall under a 20% off sale at some point on the Toys R Us website, but maybe I'm imagining it.

You are correct. They're discounted on the website whenever SW sets go on sale.

I was referring to the in-store slashing they do on unpopular sets (40-60% off)...which won't ever apply to those big ones.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Hey Calm!

So the Woodbridge, VA stores' PAB Wall was last updated 2 weeks ago. Here is the link that shows what may still be sitting in that wall right now:
http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/side/off/30/

I was going to post McLean VA's Wall, but it isn't even close to being an effective tool to help you gauge what you want. Here have a look anyway:
http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/side/off/29/

So, if you are going to the Woodbridge store, do you think that you could get me two large cups for a Quinjet trade?

Presuming that you could ship me two cups, we could do it where I ship you a Quinjet with shipping included, and you ship me two large PAB cups:

Quinjet cost me $35 plus tax plus shipping ~$50 bucks in total costs to get it to you...
Two PAB Cups cost $32 plus tax plus shipping ~$45-50 to get it to me...

Whaddaya think? Huh!?

If so, here's my preliminary list... :p

White L-shaped 1x2 "Panel" (3/4 handfull)
White 1x1plate with modified clip light (little circular tube jutting out from one side of the plate) (large pinch)
And Black of the same piece as above (large pinch)
Trans-Clear 1x1 Plate/Stud Round (large pinch)
Dark Bluish grey 1x4 tile with Knob dials and Train Throttle Pattern (small pinch)
Red 3x3 Flowers (Sprue of 4) (medium pinch)
Green 1x1x2 plant stem (20 pieces)
Red 2x3x2 container cupboard (10-20)
Tan 1x2 slope (45degrees) (handfull)
Trans-Clear 1x2 plate (handfull)
White 1x2 brick (handfull)

Let me know what you think. :)

Thanks. The McLean store is the one in Tyson's Corner. My Motel is 3 miles from there so that is where I will be going. I will see what they have there. If its got what you need when I go I will grab it. I will post when I plan on going. It'll be somewhere between May 24-26th. Idk which day yet. But yea we can work something out.

DJ_Lae

You are correct. They're discounted on the website whenever SW sets go on sale.

I was referring to the in-store slashing they do on unpopular sets (40-60% off)...which won't ever apply to those big ones.

Ahh.

I don't think I've ever seen the big discounts...but I rarely go into an actual Toys R Us. Now I feel like I'm missing out!

DJ_Lae

Nah-I usually post them when I see it. Recent ones were the big City dump truck, the Y Wing and the Obi Wan UCS ship.

How much was the dump truck on clearance for? I picked that up last Christmas at Costco for $30 or $35, which seemed like a reasonable price (better than the $45 or $50 it retailed for at least).

Maybe I don't want to know.

I really should buy a few of The Hobbit/LotR sets but nothing's really grabbing me except for Unexpected Gathering...

Still, can't wait to see what they do for the Desolation of Smaug.

Also, if they do make a rather large-scale LEGO Smaug, I will probably buy some dark blue fleecy fabric and promptly tie a scarf around his neck for maximum fandom crossover.

I really should buy a few of The Hobbit/LotR sets but nothing's really grabbing me except for Unexpected Gathering...

People keep raving about this set. What makes it so good?

I'm not interested in LOTR/Hobbit sets but this is so universally praised I'm thinking of grabbing it for the Iron Man promo later this month.

Frostburn

I'm not interested in LOTR/Hobbit sets but this is so universally praised I'm thinking of grabbing it for the Iron Man promo later this month.
It's an iconic part of TLOTR and The Hobbit, makes a great display piece and has a good number of minifigs. Definitely my favorite set from those lines so far. I like the Gandolf arrives and Golem riddles small sets too. The rest are too 'play type' for me.

Personally for me, I like it because it's Bag End in LEGO. I love the look of the 'Hobbit Holes' and this one translated perfectly to LEGO.

You forgot TOMATOES!!!

Red
Juicy
Bloody
Squirting
Tomatoes!

Boil'em mash'em stick'em inna stew!

...wait, wrong vegetefruit.

PO-TA-TOES!

Are there LEGO potatoe pieces?

Git on it LEGO! I want to make me a Farm!

Doh, for some reason I thought it was a grape.

Come on Farmer Maggot set.

R-User!

That will be a new small set. Denethor at a table with all the food, and it comes with a Pippin figure of him in his Gondor uniform so he can sing.

That actually is a good idea. I was thinking of it like a joke, but the more I think about it it would actually work pretty well and be a small lil $12 set or so.

Comes with a Table, AND a Throne!

Then you add that whole set to your:
-Minas Tirith Hall-
Crowning of the King
--comes with King Aragorn and Queen Arwen! And the four hobbits all dressed up!! *bow*

*sniff*

It is a great balance between fun playability, display piece, and mini fig diorama. It really does hit every beat that a great set should hit. It is also the right size to display nearly anywhere, and it very recognizable.
The set just has a ton of character, and when complemented with the wonderful Gandalf Arrives it gets even better.

R-User!

Thanks. The McLean store is the one in Tyson's Corner. My Motel is 3 miles from there so that is where I will be going. I will see what they have there. If its got what you need when I go I will grab it. I will post when I plan on going. It'll be somewhere between May 24-26th. Idk which day yet. But yea we can work something out.

Do you have Quinjet? And thanks for looking when you go to that store.

jpatez34

Neo Member
20130510212510.jpg

Tower Bridge COMPLETE!!!!

This is a gourgeous dispaly piece and now one of my top 3 sets, 1 being the SSD and 2 the new UCS X-Wing.

Let us know your Quinjet impressions. I know you have put it off for some time. I hope you love it as much as I and Ghostmind did.

Will do. I have a busy weekend with Mother's Day, so I won't be able to start building until Monday. But I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I also received my first two Series 10 figures. It would have been cool if the LEGO Warehouse had unknowingly provided me with Mr. Gold and Medusa. But I'm not that lucky. Instead I received the Paintball dude and the Biker/Mechanic dude. Love the new helmet mold for the paintball dude.

20130510212510.jpg

Tower Bridge COMPLETE!!!!

This is a gourgeous dispaly piece and now one of my top 3 sets, 1 being the SSD and 2 the new UCS X-Wing.

I am seriously thinking of dismantling all my MOCs to rebuild Tower Bridge. It has been a year since I had it up. I like my MOCs, but I want that magnificent display piece back up.

Katoki

Caved and got a "Like New" Quinjet set for $53. I got scared when the price shot back up due to Amazon running out of stock and the third-party sellers being left sometime last week. I figure the set has run its year or so already and went without a steeper discount so I'd say a 23% off-ish price is as good as it gets since it's $55.99 with Amazon's 20% off.

Like New because the boxes get thrown out anyway.

Caved and got a "Like New" Quinjet set for $53. I got scared when the price shot back up due to Amazon running out of stock and the third-party sellers being left sometime last week. I figure the set has run its year or so already and went without a steeper discount so I'd say a 23% off-ish price is as good as it gets since it's $55.99 with Amazon's 20% off.

Like New because the boxes get thrown out anyway.

I miss the clearance at the Wal-mart by my work on the Quinjet. They were all gone. The Wal-mart by my house never seems to put anything on clearance like the other stores.

I found another Weathertop on clearance at Target. It's still at 41.99. I am curious if they are going out of production or some stores are just making room for all the summer movie tie in products. i am still debating if I should pick up Heli-carrier escape. So far all superheroes set just leaving me disappointed.

Well, B-Wing came today and I promptly spent my entire evening building it. Then I rearranged my stuff so that all my Star Wars Lego is on my coffee table, so behold:

I'd take pictures of the rest of my Lego displays but I'm too tired now, large sets always wear me out...

Oh, one thing. When applying the plaque sticker I tried a similar technique to how I see the new X-Wing canopy stickers are done, just sticking one edge on to align it and unrolling the sticker for the rest. It worked out well, no big bubble underneath it as my IS plaque has.

frogg609

I opened up the "Best Star" to start building tonight and I'm a little bummed. The gorgeous manual has a tear on the cover, and some of the pages are already tearing away from the binding.

My stickers in box 1 (and I'm guessing there are more), look like a little kid mashed them before I got to them.

Pretty lame for a $400.00 set that they don't take better care to package these things.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nice to see another Imperial Shuttle. So glorious.

Now you need an SSD, R2, and UCS X-Wing.

And a Falcon.

;)

I opened up the "Best Star" to start building tonight and I'm a little bummed. The gorgeous manual has a tear on the cover, and some of the pages are already tearing away from the binding.

My stickers in box 1 (and I'm guessing there are more), look like a little kid mashed them before I got to them.

Pretty lame for a $400.00 set that they don't take better care to package these things.

Call LEGO and tell them. Their customer service is fantastic.

:( to the manual and stickers.

And a Falcon.

;)

Call LEGO and tell them. Their customer service is fantastic.
God I want that Falcon UCS. Just too expensive now. But damn do I want it.

ruxtpin

Banned
Current shelving setup (I also have R2-D2, Grand Emporium, and Haunted House sitting elsewhere). Using a 4S, so the quality isn't the best...

Orcs, trolls and Nazgul - oh my... Attacking an alien bug.

8727996594_d0ffe6b8cd_b.jpg

Top of the shelf with Y-Wing, SSD, and B-Wing...

8727996234_73d0f8f2e5_b.jpg

Two of the middle shelves with a newer Star Wars model =)

8727995558_279427e4e7_b.jpg

And the last shot... Hulk posing for a photo, Shelob taking over Town Hall, and the janitor trying to sweep a purple cocoon off the street.

8728006352_5707af36e7_b.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
Nice pics!

I find myself compelled to display every minifig that comes with a set...but your modular display is set up really nicely. I may have to adjust.

Thanks. Aye, I wish I had more room. The interiors of all my modulars are crammed with CMF at the moment. Paintballers and zombie space marines are having a shoot out on the second floor of the grocer. My cat was getting in a habit of knocking minifigs over so I try to get most of them out of the way.

I've added quite a few sets since I took this picture but I have that type of shelving on three of the four walls. Keeps the cats away, but some of the sets are hard to see.

k4nujyT.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You have Green Grocer. I now hate you.

It's the one lego set I'd pay extortionate prices for (but haven't yet). I like how its relatively normal looking and not flat like so many of the other modulars. I might try and buy one or bricklink it actually.

The other UCS Star Wars sets I missed I'll just wait for new versions like the x-wing, or just live without them.

It does make me wonder whether to pick up the SSD and B-wing, even though I'm not a big fan, just to have all of them going forwards. Likewise with town hall and palace cinema which I'm not super fond of.

Or maybe I should just be content with not needing to be a completionist :)

Top Bottom