• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Yesterday i've met the girl selling his son's lego collection. She said "the boy is now 15 and doesn't play with this toys anymore" (insert my full red face here). She was so kind for willing to sell me the whole sets for the same price we decided prior, but i decided to put another 20€ for her kindness.

LEGOGAF now i ask for advice: how do i sneak all this stuff at home?!?

zomg.jpg

in every plastic box there is a complete set, with a post-it indicating the set's number. Everything is dust-free, not a single tooth mark so far, no major pieces missing, it's incredible that all this sets belonged to a 15yrs old kid!

neato :)
good find, that car transporter is an awesome set!

I have spent $400 on Lego in two weeks. My credit card is weeping. I still might go back to TRU for Family House. I just need to sneak it past the wife.

That's going to be a pretty big box to sneak in. I am lucky my daughter love building LEGO with me so often times wife will give me a pass for all the binge buying due to the fact that she think it's cute that we build stuff together still.

io2GWAll.jpg

Finish the Family House last night (more like Beach Condo, I think than a family house). We build it while watching Pretty in Pink (so we build to 80's music theme). I love the light brick, and the chandelier is genius. May be because I haven't build any LEGO house since the 70's and I am just in shock at how far the building have come along (though many elements are still the same like them walls).

Overall it was a very nice break from building the giant grey eyeball. (UCS Tie Advance). I know while my daughter doesn't complain about building Star Wars set, she really does enjoy stuff like this Creator house a lot more. She said it was nice not to see all the gray bricks.

p0qW88sl.jpg

We are having some trouble with the that one roof piece (keep popping back up), and the green plate on the bottom also tend to fall off easily. Other than that it was a fun build, my daughter already planning on taking it apart later today and build the alternate version.

Quick note, I really like how the house are modular in nature and you can take section apart, and that you can swing the house open in half. Are most Creator set like this or just this one?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The premise sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot during the summer television drought.

YES! My coworker turn me and my other coworker onto it. Great show. Season 8 just ended Wednesday. Its a great show.

YES! My coworker turn me and my other coworker onto it. Great show. Season 8 just ended Wednesday. Its a great show.

I think they should have ended with 5 seasons, that said, I find season 7 to be pretty fun. They already jump the sharks (several times) but it's still pretty entertaining.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I think they should have ended with 5 seasons, that said, I find season 7 to be pretty fun. They already jump the sharks (several times) but it's still pretty entertaining.

Yea, you get to the point where you are like, what more can they do. It is entrainment, and it is still entertaining IMO so I am glad the kept making it. Gonna miss it when its gone.

DOOOOO ITTTTT! The first season is good, but it isn't until near the end of season 1 that it finds its feet. The second and third season are great, but four and five are the best. Season 6 and 7 were pretty disappointing with a few gem episodes in there.

So many episodes, I love my 10-12 episodes a season series. It's on Netflix though, so I'll give it a shot.

The wife is working tonight so I'll be building the Weasley Bone Zone, aka the Burrow.

So after seeing the beauty of light brick lit up the little LEGO house, I want to add that to the UCS Tie Advance cockpit as it is pretty dark in there. What would be good easy option without a lot of modification? I remember wetwire was doing light for his Ecto.

My daughter finally said to me after finishing up the rear part of Tie Advance, that building LEGO house was more fun. Too many gray bricks she said. (I think deep down she rather have more girlie theme but doesn't want to admit it) I guess we might put off the B-wing for later...

Me think you are going to have to pamper your wife. I didn't see those when I was at TRU, but planning to go back to grab a few more Creator house set for my daughter as graduation presents. May be seaside house and some other things. She loath LOTR stuff so that definitely out of the question.

Me think you are going to have to pamper your wife. I didn't see those when I was at TRU, but planning to go back to grab a few more Creator house set for my daughter as graduation presents. May be seaside house and some other things. She loath LOTR stuff so that definitely out of the question.

At least he didn't buy two Black Gates ;)

At least he didn't buy two Black Gates ;)

all in due time.

Trust me, with the BOGO I was tempted, but the Hive Crawler was calling me. They had the rest of the LOTR summer line there as well. The Corsair Ship box is huge, but at $120 TRU price I walked away.

Now if they had the Galactic Titan, I would have been a goner.

Anyways, I need to build these things before my wife gets home. :)

Woorloog

Banned
I finally finished my first mech:

8748424484_d6f87180c3_z.jpg

Kinda neat. EDIT damn, the feet assembly is cool. What mech is this, by the way?
Now build it on minifig scale, with a minifig pilot.
Mechs need to be proper-sized.

I remember building Marauder from Battletech in minifig scale... It was quite accurate, if you forget colors (didn't have pieces or patience to make it even colored, was kinda rainbow-colored).

mrkgoo

I built my a-wing! It was fun. The stickers annoyed me somewhat less than I'd imagine and add some nice detail. I'm pretty OCD, but found repositioning them not too bad. My left side wing is slightly now matching the right but its be fractions of a millimetre.

My biggest problem is that the left wig is slightly more yellow than the right, obviously the factories that produce each piece was using slightly different formulas.

Is this common? I guess it's not an issue seeing as most white models yellow over time unevenly anyway.

Also, the centre sticker that goes on the back had off-centre printing so even though the sticker is on in the centre te little black detail is not centred.

Mini figs are awesome though. I really want to buy some more lego while they're still on special sale, but most sets at the moment don't have a lot that is appealing. Mostly just SOME parts.

I was hoping some newer sets would be out, but no sign or maybe they're holding them off until after the sale.

People do race about quintet, though... Ah, that set is kind of expensive.

lingiii

Banned
sorry to quote this from a few pages back:

so I got myself a nice week-long ban so I missed out on a bunch of stuff. came back today and started shifting through pics on the last few pages.

this looks great! I didn't see any discussion right around the pics, but do we have any kind of date deets on this bad boy? it's making me want to jump back in to SWTOR.

Screw it. Gonna watch Return of the King while I build the Black Gate.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first set with a mini fig that did not appear in the theatrical cuts?

lingiii

Banned
Screw it. Gonna watch Return of the King while I build the Black Gate.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first set with a mini fig that did not appear in the theatrical cuts?

there are Hobbit sets right now for movies that haven't released yet (barrel escape, elves of mirkwood), but they just have generic figs, right? and those aren't really scenes you could cut. I don't know anything about Harry Potter deleted scenes, but I don't think any of those sets have anything exotic.

so yes?

rallaren

sorry to quote this from a few pages back:

so I got myself a nice week-long ban so I missed out on a bunch of stuff. came back today and started shifting through pics on the last few pages.

this looks great! I didn't see any discussion right around the pics, but do we have any kind of date deets on this bad boy? it's making me want to jump back in to SWTOR.
I made a Jedi just to get it - I think I liked it more than the Sith Fury actually. (Didn't think it would be almost an exact copy of the Sith warrior so it got deleted though.)

I also finished Bucket Truck. I recommend it, even without an engine, as a first Technic set with plenty to build and I look forward to build the B-model Telehandler.

This page has some nice sets in it I must say. I am just discovering Creator too... so.. much.. to build...!

Sorry for not Hulkifying this review. But a quick run down of Battle of the Black Gate:

I posted pics of the figures up above.

A preview before the SNOT work comes in on the main gates.

Post SNOT work. Very cool appearance once done.

The tower on the side. A rotating catapult at the top of it.

The backside of the tower has a small lever that you can push...

And open up a secret entrance (or exit) from the tower.

The completed set.

The back side of the main gate.

There is a beam that crosses between the two doors, keeping them locked.

Turn it to the side to unlock...

And open up for the King of Gondor!
And his Galaxy Squad bugs. I just had them sitting on the table. Unintentional genre mash up.

The set easily comes apart so you can quickly add a second set to make the gate bigger.

Overall: Good but not great set. Some nice pieces in here (some dark grey 3x3 plates, which are new this year) as well as a couple of the new half arch pieces shown in the video for Orthanc.
The sad thing is the set looks a little sad as it is. I feel like it really needs a second one attached to it to get the true power across. I have no doubt this is intentional, but for the price it is good and easier for people to afford it and get the mini figures.

That is the one thing this set delivers on in spades though: the figures. Aragorn in his Gondorian armor. Gandalf the White. The Mouth of Sauron. An eagle. A demon horse with armor on. The figures are truly the star of this set.

Overall, I would get this a solid B.

Tuvoc

I took advantage of the TRU sale today.

Picked up Eradicator Mech(70707) $45, Swarm Interceptor(70701) $20, and the Log Cabin Creator Set(5766) $33. All for $67. I had a $10 off coupon and a $10 gift card from last weeks TRU deal.

The Eradicator Mech is everything I ever wanted it to be. It got me even more pumped for Pacific Rim. I've been saving and storing all my arm/leg mech hinges so I can design my own mech.

I've been eyeing the swarm interceptor for awhile but could never get myself to buy it. At TRU today, I had to spend another $14 to use my $10 off coupon so I got it. I was kinda pissed how "dangly" the ships cock-pit was when it was connected to the rest of the ship. I moved some pieces around to make it more sturdy. But now it doesn't disconnect so easily.

I haven't built the Log Cabin yet (gotta go out to dinner with the gf) but i'll put it together afterwards. It'll be the first lego house i've built in over a decade. I am excite! Kinda regret not buying The Family House. But I didnt want to spend too much money today.

ghostmind

You already got it? What are your impressions vs. Bug Obliterator?

Everything but the Galactic Titan... still looking for that one.

It may be the shine on new LEGO, but I'm thinking wave 2 is stronger than wave 1.

Obliterator and Crawler are each have their own strengths, with the former it's the split feature between the ship and rover, with the latter it's the crazy legs and cocoon-ball launcher.

Glad to hear you like the Crawler - I wasn't sure if the bugs would redeem themselves with you after the Star Slicer.

First off, I love this new element:

Shorter version of the curved slope. Only two studs long. I see this thing being very popular with MOCs once they become more common.

Second, I put ZERO sticks on the set. Some of it looks plain without it, but still cool in the end.

Awww...little bugs. :) Err, I mean: AAAAAAH! BUGS!

The Galaxy Squad: Red Shirt division. I do like the Daft Punk helmet dude, but these guys are going to get wasted.

The bug. Awesome head piece for this one. And you know why the Red Shirt Squad should be worried about him? Because in a theme where everyone is packing heat, from small pistols to massive cannons, this dude decides to roll with just two blades. He is so confident in his ability to kick your ass he doesn't need a gun.

The Galaxy Squad's ride in this set. Pretty cool build with so few pieces. It is lacking without the stickers though.

The back end separates off...

For our robot pal to fly around like a maniac!
Of all the sets so far, this is the most disappointing of the separations.

The main event. The big bug.

The back mounted cannons tilt and rotate in all directions. The way these are built is cool, as they are just modified flower pots.

The bug eggs hiding in the back.

Pull back the end (yes, there are rubber bands. Sorry.) and load an egg into the launcher.

Send a bug egg flying across the room. I might have to put the light up cat toy in this to launch it and drive them nuts.

But what is in the eggs? AAHAAHHHHH! BUGS! Creepy bugs! I envision these things as the face huggers of the Galaxy Squad universe.

A face only a mother could love. The way the head is built is pretty cool.

Underside of the bug, showing how the leg mechanics work.

Close up of the leg mechanics. It is hard to show in pics or in a short video, but it is really awesome how it works.

You roll the bug along the floor. This turns the middle piece, which is attached to two ball and socket joints on the front and rear legs. This makes them move up and down. As the middle rotates, it raises and lowers the middle leg.
Seeing it in motion is one of the coolest things about the set. I was giggling like a little kid as I rolled it along the table and heard the "click! click! click!" of the legs hitting the table.

The Eradicator Mech may have met its match!

Overall: A+. Seriously awesome set. It is a tad pricey at $70 MSRP for a 560 piece set, but it is worth every penny. Great figures, awesome build, and TONS of playability.
Definitely a set to beat this year.

BONUS: Thor just wanted to see his movie in peace...

Everything but the Galactic Titan... still looking for that one.

It may be the shine on new LEGO, but I'm thinking wave 2 is stronger than wave 1.

I still need Vermin Vaporizer, Swarm Interceptor, and Warp Stinger. But I loved the Bug Obliterator and Space Swarmer. Star Slicer was such a huge letdown.
After the Eradicator Mech and Hive Crawler, wave 2 is definitely better. I am afraid of how awesome the Galactic Titan will be. If they had had that at TRU today, I was going to snag that and something else around that same price.

And with the news of Orthanc releasing early for VIP, that hurts. I NEED that set, but after this week of pain I cannot get it until probably my birthday in August. And my five year anniversary is the first weekend in July, so must save to spoil the wife that weekend.

I didnt realize that Black gate is available. Where can you get it in the US?

Toys R Us. All the stuff this week was from TRU. They got stuff early, and with the BOGO, it is actually cheap for once there. Well, cheap if you buy two or more.

Ghostmind: I never got your impressions on the Star Slicer. Curious. And I loved the Space Swarmer bug set. So much awesome in such a tiny package.

We are making good progress. It's nice to see the ship come together. Shocking that they can do special printed cockpit piece for this set but not X-Wing.

kqgnONkl.jpg

ghostmind

Toys R Us. All the stuff this week was from TRU. They got stuff early, and with the BOGO, it is actually cheap for once there. Well, cheap if you buy two or more.

Ghostmind: I never got your impressions on the Star Slicer. Curious. And I loved the Space Swarmer bug set. So much awesome in such a tiny package.

It's... ok. That's mainly due to the blue team vehicle. The mantis itself is too spindly, with lots of exposed technic and weak limbs. I wish it had been better, because I was looking forward to a mantis.

Congrats on finding the LotR sets by the way - I think you are one of the first on the Internet to go do.

It's... ok. That's mainly due to the blue team vehicle. The mantis itself is too spindly, with lots of exposed technic and weak limbs. I wish it had been better, because I was looking forward to a mantis.

Congrats on finding the LotR sets by the way - I think you are one of the first on the Internet to go do.
Yeah, the vehicle in Star Slicer was great. The lil rover with detachable flight drone. Very cool. But yeah, the mantis itself was too spindly and weak. The SNOT work on one part of the body was cool, but the rest sucked. Especially they head. It was like an intern designed the head.

I am actually kind of thankful I was so down on Star Slicer, because I needed a great bug set. I am looking at Hive Crawler as the bug revenge set. So much awesome from the GS in wave one, the bugs needed a set to kick some ass, and they sure got it. I especially love the bug mini fig with the blades.

And my TRU had all the new LOTR stuff today. Was very tempting, but I have time on that. I need to finish my Galaxy Squad collection first. :)

Actually disassembling Bug Obliterator now just to rebuild it to see if I like it more than Hive Crawler. Still riding the glow of Hive Crawler right now.

No gold in a Weasley chest. Just socks.

Y7VQ9nh.jpg
Lol.

DOUBLE EDIT: A friend from my old job in NC just posted that he got this and built it while home sick with a cold:

168230_10103152872949270_1728674406_n.jpg

Bastard. :)

First off, I love this new element:

Second, I put ZERO sticks on the set. Some of it looks plain without it, but still cool in the end.

Awww...little bugs. :) Err, I mean: AAAAAAH! BUGS!

I still need Vermin Vaporizer, Swarm Interceptor, and Warp Stinger. But I loved the Bug Obliterator and Space Swarmer. Star Slicer was such a huge letdown.
After the Eradicator Mech and Hive Crawler, wave 2 is definitely better. I am afraid of how awesome the Galactic Titan will be. If they had had that at TRU today, I was going to snag that and something else around that same price.

And with the news of Orthanc releasing early for VIP, that hurts. I NEED that set, but after this week of pain I cannot get it until probably my birthday in August. And my five year anniversary is the first weekend in July, so must save to spoil the wife that weekend.

In a video review, they said the little bugs are double sided. So if you flip it over it becomes another bug and vice versa.

Top Bottom