• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ainaurdur

Kmart's having a 50% toy clearance sale again. Didn't see much on clearance, but I did pick up 3 of the Gandalf Arrives sets for $5 each. One for the nephews, one for a friend, and naturally one for me. :p
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to!"

I finished building UCS Tie Advanced X-1 (my daughter got tired after finishing up one part of the wings). The wings were very confusing to build because of the black parts and hard to see instructions so I can see why my daughter found it to be not very fun and gave up.

aG3Qfyml.jpg

The cockpit is fairly dark and while I would like more details, it would have been pointless as you can't really see anyway. The hatch is also small and pretty much just for show. It uses flat surface for seat so to put in mini-fig of Vader you have swap it for 2X4 stud piece otherwise he would be rolling around in the cockpit.

hZx2Gacl.jpg

Rear section of the fuselage is nicely details but not very sturdy. It was build on technic square and if you hold down on certain section the plate just collapse.

u0ZlKGel.jpg

The ship does show some age and lack of STUD. The front fuselage section really could use smoothing off and is probably easy to do. I am thinking about mod it to make it more "modern" looking.

YopblsFl.jpg

I love the printed cockpit piece, the stand is fairly stable. Absolutely loath the sticker sign (I used photocopy and kept the actual sticker for archive). I don't understand why for the set of this size they can't print certain part. Those stupid Planet Series have printed base for crying out loud.

I also don't think I will be picking up that many UCS set. The size and scale is just not very feasible for display. It does look impressive but I think I prefer the smaller scale ship.

rallaren

It looks good imo - it's an UCS afterall. Not far from the Sith Fury (this has more detail). Do you have it btw? If so can you post a picture of them next to each other for a comparison?

frogg609

In 2 weeks I will be going to the LEGO store in Denver for the first time. Will the stores have the exclusive sets like Barrel Escape and the Orc Forge?

ghostmind

In 2 weeks I will be going to the LEGO store in Denver for the first time. Will the stores have the exclusive sets like Barrel Escape and the Orc Forge?

They should... LEGO stores get all the store exclusives, however exclusives often get retired earlier than the rest of the theme. Last time I was at the LEGO store they still had both the ones you listed.

ghostmind

I finished building UCS Tie Advanced X-1 (my daughter got tired after finishing up one part of the wings). The wings were very confusing to build because of the black parts and hard to see instructions so I can see why my daughter found it to be not very fun and gave up.

I also don't think I will be picking up that many UCS set. The size and scale is just not very feasible for display. It does look impressive but I think I prefer the smaller scale ship.

Finding space to display the various UCS is a challenge - but I'm still hoping for a new UCS TIE next year (maybe a Bomber?)

mojiimbo

It depends. Barrel Escape should be fine since it was just released last November but Orc Forge is more than a year old by now and I haven't seen it at all at our local store. Not sure if it's across the board but the truck comes in on Monday mornings so from what I've seen stock is at it's lowest point on Saturday/Sunday so you might want to take that into consideration.

Another option if you don't mind waiting a few days would be to ask them to "shop and ship" an order in-store for you to your house. They should offer you free shipping if it's still available on the website and it's something they'd regularly carry in-store. I think they quote a 4-7 business day delivery time on that.

It looks good imo - it's an UCS afterall. Not far from the Sith Fury (this has more detail). Do you have it btw? If so can you post a picture of them next to each other for a comparison?

Sith Fury was my first purchase coming out from my LEGO Dark Age. It's puny in comparison.

e8xpSDyl.jpg

Here is a picture with rest of my Dark Side family. I have an old Tie Advance somewhere and Tie Fighter that is still in a box. (The Fury is sitting on top of a stand I made for it, I like to display the ship with the wings opened).

Q38SxhIl.jpg

Sith Fury was my first purchase coming out from my LEGO Dark Age. It's puny in comparison.

e8xpSDyl.jpg

Here is a picture with rest of my Dark Side family. I have an old Tie Advance somewhere and Tie Fighter that is still in a box. (The Fury is sitting on top of the stand, I like it displays with the wings opened).

Q38SxhIl.jpg
Jesus.

Kryten

I'm currently staring at an offer to buy a new UCS B-Wing for NZD$300 (about USD$240) and I just can't decide on whether I should pull the trigger or not.....retail here is NZD$450 (the box is damaged, which is not a big deal with me).

Gah. Help me out here guys. I love my current Star Wars sets and don't have a UCS set yet. Even with a damaged box, left unopened this wouldn't be a terrible buy, right?

R-User!

I think it's too early to say whether it is bombing. Sending out these tiny seeder packs is probably more about getting people aware of it

Especially IF many more episodes of the show are coming over the summer.

Snowball rolling down a slight incline takes longer to roll down the hill and get "big". But it remains to be seen.

If by the end of the year we dot hear about new sets and season 2 being in development, then it was probably a "bust".

rallaren

http://i.imgur.com/e8xpSDyl.jpg[IMG]

Here is a picture with rest of my Dark Side family. I have an old Tie Advance somewhere and Tie Fighter that is still in a box. (The Fury is sitting on top of a stand I made for it, I like to display the ship with the wings opened).

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Q38SxhIl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Dang. Thanks for the pics. There's a size difference indeed.

I think that depend on the store size. The store here in Oregon is fairly small with limited stock. You could always call ahead and ask them what they have. They would also hold item for you for a day. I went looking for the Toys R Us Exclusive Hoth set (2013 one) at Oregon store and they were all sold out. The Orc Forge I never see at that store, however Targets around here have been putting out the Orc Forge set (the one with Lightbrick I assume).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The one by Centennial. It's only a few minutes by the hotel I will be staying at.

I also see an entry for Dr. Brickenstein, is it a cool place?

Good, that's the better one in Denver. If for some reason they don't have the sets you're looking for, there's actually a Toys R Us right across the street from the mall that LEGO store is in.

I'm currently staring at an offer to buy a new UCS B-Wing for NZD$300 (about USD$240) and I just can't decide on whether I should pull the trigger or not.....retail here is NZD$450 (the box is damaged, which is not a big deal with me).

Gah. Help me out here guys. I love my current Star Wars sets and don't have a UCS set yet. Even with a damaged box, left unopened this wouldn't be a terrible buy, right?

Depends if you like the B-Wing. I passed it up at the amazing $100 USD price (I'm not trying to rub it in, I know how lucky I am seeing how other countries' prices are) not too long ago. I just have too many sets on my list and the B-Wing doesn't do it for me as a set or for the parts for MOCing.

As for the box, I don't care either. As long as the plastic bags are intact and it doesn't look like a car ran it over, it's worth it if the discount is really good.

The one by Centennial. It's only a few minutes by the hotel I will be staying at.

I also see an entry for Dr. Brickenstein, is it a cool place?

It's okay but everything is overpriced as hell. You can find some out of print sets there though.

Seems I'm the only one who prefers the Colorado Mills one!

neonglow

This is a reminder that the Lego Batman movie is out this Tuesday. It's just the CG movies from the Lego Batman 2 video game stitched together, but it comes with the exclusive Clark Kent figure.

Amazon has the DVD version for $9.99 if all you want is the figure or the Blu-ray for $13.99.
The DVD is also on sale at Best Buy if you want the figure right away in store.

DVD
Blu-ray

BATDVD-1.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

e8xpSDyl.jpg

Q38SxhIl.jpg

Love that USC Tie Fighter. Amazing.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Bought a second Fire Brigade to gift someone. Last time I use a local shipping company like ARAMEX...

I think I may have to give my personal unopened one instead.

Ohhh that is fail. I would send that bad boy back.

Ainaurdur

Bought a second Fire Brigade to gift someone. Last time I use a local shipping company like ARAMEX...

I think I may have to give my personal unopened one instead.

This kind of thing makes me question whether the people preparing the shipments have any intelligence at all. Thankfully this has never happened to me with a Lego set, but I have gotten other stuff shipped only in it's product box. Like a 27" monitor that I was buying for my parents as a Christmas gift one year. Kinda ruined the surprise for mom, at least dad didn't see it until he opened it.

I realize some product boxes can be large and it may be slightly more difficult to find a box big enough to ship in... but there really is no excuse. :/

ghostmind

This Thursday will see LEGO revealing the "world's largest LEGO model" in TImes Square at 11:00am. This is a tie-in somehow to the Yoda Chronicles. There has been debate as to whether this means that LEGO will be debuting a new set, such as The Ewok Village, with the highest piece-count of any previous set, or whether this will be a custom build by LEGO with the most pieces of any other LEGO build before it.

I would hate their biggest set ever wasted on that awful looking show. Also can't see them doing good business on an expensive set for such a little mini series. It will probably just be a show promo piece.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Eh, it's probably a large custom model.

I can't see a Star Wars set with more than 5922 pieces (Taj Mahal).

Calm Killer

This Thursday will see LEGO revealing the "biggest LEGO model ever" in TImes Square at 11:00am. This is a tie-in somehow to the Yoda Chronicles. There has been debate as to whether this means that LEGO will be debuting a new set, such as The Ewok Village, with the highest piece-count of any previous set, or whether this will be a custom build by LEGO with the most pieces of any other LEGO build before it.

Wouldn't Ewok village have nothing to do with the Yoda Chronicles? I don't know my Star Wars lore that well. Only into the movies.

ghostmind

Wouldn't Ewok village have nothing to do with the Yoda Chronicles? I don't know my Star Wars lore that well. Only into the movies.

It doesn't - but I can easily see a presenter segue into revealing something else Star Wars related.

If it is a custom build, the biggest ever is a tall order. By piece-count, it would be into millions of bricks.

See this site for current record-holders:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/lego.html

R-User!

Hi ghostmind. Do you think you know what post you made that had the preliminary slots for the 2013 10XXX sets? I would love to bookmark that post for reference.

IronRinn

Built my B-Wing this weekend. I know reviews on it were mixed but I thought it was fucking great. Some really neat stuff in there. Little things like using a black vine/whip piece for the cable on the bottom cannon. I didn't even mind building most of the model twice. Really a beautiful model. Understand why the wings are single-sided but, like others, I would have liked it if they weren't. A true steal at 50% off.

Ponn

Banned
Apparently i'm horrible at feeling for mini figs. I was going to to some place with the intent of getting one lego set this morning, was first thinking Target if nothing else I could get the exclusive Orc Forge set. Decided to go to Kmart because its always like a ghost town nice and quiet and sometimes i'm surprised by them. Lego couple shelves was disappointing, I think they actually had more of those megablocks Halo/WoW and Angry Bird sets then Lego. Found a Mini Fig series 10 rack and felt them all up. A couple I thought maybe, just maybe might be a Mr. Gold. Instead I got a mechanic guy, two Paris Hiltons (ugh), a paintball guy and a sad clown. I actually wanted the clown, but he was the only one I accurately felt up.

Also I moseyed down the clearance and happened about an Alien Conquest Mothership set on clearance half off. So I did get that for $27 so not to bad of a day. I will put that together today and abduct both of my new paris hilton figs.

ghostmind

Apparently i'm horrible at feeling for mini figs. I was going to to some place with the intent of getting one lego set this morning, was first thinking Target if nothing else I could get the exclusive Orc Forge set. Decided to go to Kmart because its always like a ghost town nice and quiet and sometimes i'm surprised by them. Lego couple shelves was disappointing, I think they actually had more of those megablocks Halo/WoW and Angry Bird sets then Lego. Found a Mini Fig series 10 rack and felt them all up. A couple I thought maybe, just maybe might be a Mr. Gold. Instead I got a mechanic guy, two Paris Hiltons (ugh), a paintball guy and a sad clown. I actually wanted the clown, but he was the only one I accurately felt up.

Also I moseyed down the clearance and happened about an Alien Conquest Mothership set on clearance half off. So I did get that for $27 so not to bad of a day. I will put that together today and abduct both of my new paris hilton figs.

Considering that there are only 2 Trendsetters per box, and they come with an exclusive dog and smartphone, I would say you did well.

Calm Killer

Yoda to visit Sydney Opera House. Reveal new set after.

Opera House, Ewok Village and Winter Set are the only ones we are waiting on right? So Ewok Village will be over 6k pieces if that is it? Guess I will have to purchase the Death Star /sigh

Top Bottom