• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Olivia obviously has all the power in Heartlake City. She has the pimp house. The invention lab. The speedboat.

First she gets the money. Then she gets the power.
All she needs is a meth lab and guns.

Pretty sure that's what the "riding camp" is for. Secluded location, free labor...

Heh, the blue ladder into the basement is an excellent touch.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Day 8 City Advent spoiler

Fireman's Emergency Ski Rack

wut

I dunno.

9269666-large.jpg

xi0ql.jpg

StkB3.jpg

Cl0jG.jpg

QBdta.jpg

9d3MI.jpg

(courtesy of BrickieB on Eurobricks)
Drooooooooool! I NEED to get this and put my Jabba's Palace on top of it. It actually looks good with the cage door partway open. I love that the Rancor trainer has a sad look on his face so that you can recreate the scene where he realizes that his "baby" has just died and he breaks down sobbing and inconsolable. Very nice touch!

Agreed. Only downside on Haunted House for me was how poorly bag 1 was handled. After that it was aces.
I wholeheartedly agree. What a bizarre design decision that was. The end result was amazing though, thus negating the premature furniture erection. Hmm, maybe I should re-word that...

Debating about dismantling mine. I love it, but Halloween is past. And there are so many nice parts in it.
I always thought that it would be funny to add it to your modular "street". Even though it doesn't technically connect to the other modulars, you could put it at the end of your modular street, separated from the real modulars by some train tracks. The dilapidated Haunted House would thus be on the wrong side of the tracks...

ghostmind

Tis the season for rumors:

Lord of the Rings (Summer 2013)

Battle of the Black Gate (Gandalf the White, Witch King (or Mouth of Sauron) and 3+ additional minifigs)

Pirate Corsair (apparently has 10-12 minifigs, most of which I would assume would be the Dead Men of Dunharrow)

R-User!

Battle of the Black Gate (Gandalf the White, Witch King (or Mouth of Sauron) and 3+ additional minifigs)

Pirate Corsair (apparently has 10-12 minifigs, most of which I would assume would be the Dead Men of Dunharrow)

Oh my god!

Shouldn't it be the stand at the Black Gate?

Anyways, PIRATE SHIP! I AM SO THERE!

I don't have high hopes for the film but hopefully we'll get a few cool western themed sets and new elements from this

My thoughts as well. I will still go see the film, because I hope Armie Hammer gets more work since I like his stuff so far.

Anyways, I liked this write up on Brickset about two of the best sets to buy this holiday season.

Brickset said:
For the final installment of our Holiday Gift Guide, we'll be recommending sets in the rarefied air of $150+ price tags.

Although we should remember there are many other things to be grateful for during this time of year, there is still something to be said about receiving this much LEGO goodness. One's great fortune will likely not be lost upon anyone lucky enough to receive LEGO in this price segment.

For Children: 10188: Death Star (US$399.99, £274.99)

I thought about selecting a LEGO train here since there is a nearly universal love of trains among children and there aren't many more natural holiday pairings than a toy train circling a Christmas tree.

However, train sets have come and gone, and there will always be some version available in the LEGO product line. The same can not be said for the colossal, truly epic set that is 10188 Death Star! If I were a betting man (and I am), this is the last holiday season for the Death Star. Even if that ends up not being the case, whomever gets this due to its selection here can thank me for the extra length of ownership!

Spanning four levels are 14 rooms which depict memorable scenes from the Star Wars movies. Each room is chock full of action elements for the use of the 24(!) included minifigures. The round nature of the model is conducive to multiple children playing at the same time, which should further add to the interaction with the set.

The set is available for purchase at all the usual places. At $399.99, it is tied as the most expensive of any current set, but it's worth every penny. Of course, you don't have to only trust my word, you can reference the flawless ratings by fellow Brickset users here.

For adults: 10225: R2-D2 ($179.99, £149.99)

I apologize if you're choosing a gift for someone that simply has no interest in Star Wars, but there was only a slight moment of deliberation in choosing 10225 R2-D2 over the other sets in this price range. I gave some consideration to 10228 Haunted House or 8043 Excavator, but ultimately it came down to many of the same reasons atkinsar listed when choosing the VW Bus: R2-D2 is iconic, accessible by the general public, and the set is a great build and charming display piece.

If it's not clear what I mean when I say accessible, I can best explain it by the following: if I brought it into work to display at my desk, everyone would recognize what it is, what it was made out of, and want to take a closer look. It would undoubtedly be seen as cool and stir up conversation, which is precisely what a great model should do.

There have been character models given the UCS Star Wars treatment in the past, but IMO they left something to be desired. The LEGO designers absolutely got this incarnation of R2D2 right and there is very little I could think of to improve the model.

Happy holidays and Play Well!

Well put, and two of my most highly recommended sets out there right now.

I am a little late on this, but why does Ackbar have a coffee mug? It's a frappe? It looks like the admiral and the A-Wing pilot are rushing for the last cup o' joe there.

win_ackbar_epic_ftw.jpg

TripOpt55

I have a few of those older Lego western sets from when I was younger. Curious how these will turn out (I have not been following news on the movie though).

Both no-brainers for me. The Lone Ranger stuff has potential as well but between the rest of my 2012 sets and the already-large list of 2013 sets I want they are going to have to be pretty damn good to attract my LEGO cash.

Dying to see the 2013 catalog at this point. I'm guessing the Black Gate set is comparable to Moria in many ways, but wih 10-12 minifigs I have no idea where they're going with the ship. It would have to be pretty damn big, yeah? Lots of potential for cool minifigs there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When do the new mini friends sets come out? I want to get my wife the karate one because that's a mini version of her.

I wonder if the Lone Ranger sets will affect the western modular cuusoo approval? Or will they maybe use the design within that theme?

Is the pirate ship part of The Lord of the rings theme? Confused.

wetwired

When do the new mini friends sets come out? I want to get my wife the karate one because that's a mini version of her.

Is the pirate ship part of The Lord of the rings theme? Confused.

I was wondering the same thing about the friends bag sets, I wanted to get 4 of those little turtles to go with the TMNT minifigs when I put them in an ikea frame.

it's that pirate ship from the end of return of the king when aragorn returns with all the ghosts.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

The Pirate Corsair ship shouldn't be very bulky I think. As for the minifigures - it'd probably be Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, the Dead Men of Dunharrow, and either the Corsairs of Umbar or a group of Orcs.

The ship is not supposed to be a very pretty or majestic ship, so it's not going to bump the Queen Anne or Imperial Flagship from its display pedestal :)

iuuk

The ship is not supposed to be a very pretty or majestic ship, so it's not going to bump the Queen Anne or Imperial Flagship from its display pedestal :)
Ah shucks. I was hoping for a pirate ship (modifiable) to display next to my flagship, since that one really needs a nemesis (because in my LEGO universe, pirates always win). That flagship got me back into Lego, and it needs a reward in a foe to match its own size. I don't like the Queen Anne, so please LEGO, bring back the pirate theme with a pirate ship UCS. That would also help a lot of people who missed out on the flagship, which has now become way too expensive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hi, amazing thread! Reading this thread is always tempting me to get back into LEGO, but I have to save my money :-( And I actually don't have space to display them.

Anyway, just wanted to give the Germans/Europeans in this thread a heads up: The Technic Super Car 8070 is a daily deal and down to 67€.
I don't know their regular price (it probably isn't 120€ like they claim), but it seems like a nice deal. I'm sorta tempted myself.

Ah, that's about £54, practically half price. Must resist

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Fire Brigade is still out in the open teasing me until Christmas...

Tidying the house ready for Christmas decorations so I'll soon be putting my winter village on display.

iuuk

That reminds me, were the Indians line from the late 90's any good?
The Indians were mostly so-so, but the cowboys were great. Every set in the cowboy line was a hit, those were a big part of my youth. If only I still had all the rocks I would rebuild them. They are big parts, so how on earth do you lose things like that... (I blame my mother always taking some of my lego out of the big box and putting it into smaller ones for the neighbours' kids to play with.)

The Indians were mostly so-so, but the cowboys were great. Every set in the cowboy line was a hit, those were a big part of my youth. If only I still had all the rocks I would rebuild them. They are big parts, so how on earth do you lose things like that... (I blame my mother always taking some of my lego out of the big box and putting it into smaller ones for the neighbours' kids to play with.)

Okay thanks. I was just trying to figure out why they all cost so much!

Tidying to make space for the Christmas tree andmade some sudden realisations.

Current unsorted LEGO:

I need to expand my storage system. Getting boxes in no problem ( I like the Really Useful Boxes) but space is my issue as we're in a small 1 bed flat right now.

Something a few did in the last thread with the aid of Brickset.com;

You own 158 sets (98 different)
We have piece counts for 99 of the sets you own. Using that data we have calculated that you own 41122 pieces! Here's a list of the sets you own that we don't have piece counts for.
We have retail prices for 69 of the sets you own. Using that data we have calculated that their total retail value is £3215.

This is not counting Bricklink which I think has added about 5000 pieces at last count.

Christmas break is going to be about sorting and storage I think.

Falch

Can't really get excited for Lone Rangers theme yet, I'd have to see the sets themselves first.

New LOTR sets rumours on other hand: gimme gimme gimme :)

Anyone else not too impressed with some of the hobbit sets? Really not digging the sets attack of the wargs, barrel escape and goblin king. Gonna brick link the hobbits from those sets.

Falch

Current unsorted LEGO:

I need to expand my storage system. Getting boxes in no problem ( I like the Really Useful Boxes) but space is my issue as we're in a small 1 bed flat right now.

This is not counting Bricklink which I think has added about 5000 pieces at last count.

Yeah I'm quite happy having an entire attic basically for my Lego. Bought a second IKEA closet with desk the other day to have more than enough room for the foresable future. :)

Yeah I'm quite happy having an entire attic basically for my Lego. Bought a second IKEA closet with desk the other day to have more than enough room for the foresable future. :)

We're looking at going 2 bed next move but that won't be fore another year or so. Looks like I either have to buy less or make some more room and I know which option I will take.

Tree is going up soon. Will sadly obscure the view at the moment.

We're looking at going 2 bed next move but that won't be fore another year or so. Looks like I either have to buy less or make some more room and I know which option I will take.

Tree is going up soon. Will sadly obscure the view at the moment.
The Imperial Shuttle is in landing mode. :( Sexy mode is wings down. But looking at that shelf it looks like there isn't room to do that without rearranging a bit.

Hi, amazing thread! Reading this thread is always tempting me to get back into LEGO, but I have to save my money :-( And I actually don't have space to display them.

Anyway, just wanted to give the Germans/Europeans in this thread a heads up: The Technic Super Car 8070 is a daily deal and down to 67€.
I don't know their regular price (it probably isn't 120€ like they claim), but it seems like a nice deal. I'm sorta tempted myself.

You should do it! First large Lego set I bought after getting back into Lego through the MOC contest on GAF. Really fun and it looks great after completion. The B-Model actually looks as good as the first model (and maybe even better).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Current unsorted LEGO:

Underbed storage? We have our son's scalextric there but ere would be space for tons of lego, and the shallow storage would give you access to a lot of lego when the lid was off.

Otherwise really useful is, well, really useful. Drawer units are handy. Or Ikea 'Alex' drawer units in their home office section caught my eye. I have a smaller one for my desk but the big one looks perfect for lego - a few deep drawers and a few shallow ones.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is LEGO trolling? They are offering a free Gandalf the Grey minifig when you buy their new Hobbit board/memory game. I already have more Gandalfs than any other Tolkien-themed LEGO figure >.<

ghostmind

Rumors are becoming more concrete:

Star Wars
75015 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid
75016 Homing Spider Droid
75017 Duel on Geonosis
75018 JEK-14's Stealth Starfighter
75019 AT-TE
75020 Jabba's Sail Barge
75021 Republic Gunship
75022 Mandalorian Speeder

Lord of the Rings
79005 The Wizard Battle
79006 The Council of Elrond
79007 Battle at the Black Gate
79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

ghostmind

And for anyone who needs a refresher on the sets being released for the Lone Ranger:

The Lone Ranger
79106 Cavalry Builder Set
79107 Comanche Camp
79108 Stagecoach Escape
79109 Colby City Showdown
79110 Silver Mine Shootout
79111 Constitution Train Chase

ghostmind

Oh, and for anyone planning on getting into the Chima theme, there will be approximately 36 sets coming in 2013. LEGO is putting some serious muscle behind the theme with the expectations that it will outdo Ninjago.

Top Bottom