• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So can we have another MOC contest over the holidays? Would be the perfect time. :)

seems like an idea.
I have some spare time on my hands, so If we all agree on timing I could get something set up by the end of the week.
suggest sets too ;)
I think after holidays is better personally. Then we all might have more sets to use as well as money to get stuff for contest.
And us retail slaves will have more time and energy. :)

Also, just left TRU and saw all the galaxy squad, tmnt, and creator sets. Grabbed a few then saw just how insane their mark up was. It was insane, even for TRU. So I left with nothing, although I almost got Fierce Flyer because that was minimal markup. But I know if I wait I can get it for msrp or less.

Bandicoot

Anyone know if the winter bakery is retired or just out of stock? It shows "sold out" on lego at home and the tag is "hard to find". I can't find it at any other retailers either. (Target, Amazon etc.)

Ironmask

I think after holidays is better personally. Then we all might have more sets to use as well as money to get stuff for contest.
And us retail slaves will have more time and energy. :)

Also, just left TRU and saw all the galaxy squad, tmnt, and creator sets. Grabbed a few then saw just how insane their mark up was. It was insane, even for TRU. So I left with nothing, although I almost got Fierce Flyer because that was minimal markup. But I know if I wait I can get it for msrp or less.

i hope to join this contest finally.
Also Lego Creator - City - Friends are starting to show on Amazon.IT

factorybelt

Neo Member
Target has the Super Star Destroyer on sale for $256+tax right now, so if you want it now is the time.

I ordered the Orc Forge at 20% off as well, to complete my LotR collection. :)

Target has the Super Star Destroyer on sale for $256+tax right now, so if you want it now is the time.

Mother of god. If I had not just dropped that much on my outstanding dental bill I would bite.

C'mon Santa! Daddy needs an SSD.

Chris R

So damn tempting :( Betting they produced too many for it to spike in price after it is OOP like the Falcon did so resale value probably wouldn't recoop the full price if I did decide to sell it one day...

edit: how is Shuttle Expedition? That would be 20% off too and would be a much easier pill to swallow...

ruxtpin

Banned
OHHH... You have to go thru to checkout to see the discount. I added it, but didn't see the discount in my cart.

The SSD is now mine... YES.

I want to buy LEGO bricks so me and my kid can build random stuff together, whats the best place and sets with an assortment of pieces to get?

I was thinking of this one
LEGO® Bricks & More Deluxe Brick Box 5508

I seems like a good assortment of varied stuff, any recommendations?

R-User!

So damn tempting :( Betting they produced too many for it to spike in price after it is OOP like the Falcon did so resale value probably wouldn't recoop the full price if I did decide to sell it one day...

edit: how is Shuttle Expedition? That would be 20% off too and would be a much easier pill to swallow...

It's off select Lego... Not all Lego sets. :/

Naka

If you have a Target RED Card you get an additional 5% off which drops the price to 243.19. That is insanely cheap all things considered.

If you have a Target RED Card you get an additional 5% off which drops the price to 243.19. That is insanely cheap all things considered.
I think this is the most painful day in here in a LONG time for me. A long time.

Thanks GAF. This is my payback for being so evil to many of you.

Naka

I think this is the most painful day in here in a LONG time for me. A long time.

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger myself. It's so hard to justify spending this kind of money this time of year...

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger myself. It's so hard to justify spending this kind of money this time of year...
I got a new credit card just to buy my wife an iPad. Then I just used it for dental work and R2D2. I also ordered diagon alley and Maersk. I have done enough damage this season.

I think $256 is still too rich for my blood. I'm pulling at $200 or less. I'm aware it may never hit that but I just cannot justify anything over that amount on 1 set.

Naka

I got a new credit card just to buy my wife an iPad. Then I just used it for dental work and R2D2. I also ordered diagon alley and Maersk. I have done enough damage this season.

Oh man, I guess I should shut up haha.

I did just have to spend 1200 dollars on my dog at the vet, so that was very unexpected.

I think $256 is still too rich for my blood. I'm pulling at $200 or less. I'm aware it may never hit that but I just cannot justify anything over that amount on 1 set.
Once you build a mega set like that, you realize it is worth the price. Death Star was my most expensive set, and it was glorious.

ghostmind

This is for ruxtpin and anyone else who takes up this awesome deal:

XdUH8.jpg

Chris R

Oh, good. Less painful now.

A little.

Still thought about it for a second or two at the 296 or whatever price was when shipping was included, but then I realized it was basically almost that much on Amazon earlier this year and I passed on it then :p

256 shipped and I'd be all over it!

suaveric

Did they change the deal at target? All I'm getting is 20% off, which is the same price amazon has it. I'm on their mobile site.

kilongs

looks like it might have been an error. The 20% off deal was happening twice. Once at the 399.99 price to make it 319.99, then again after checkout to make it 256.

Price is now changed to 399.

ruxtpin

Banned
I noticed that as well. I saw 20% off on the main item, but then when I added it to my cart, it removed another $70 dollars from the $320 total. I now wonder if they'll cancel my order.

Damn that SSD, this would be my first big set but i can't justify getting it atm :(

How long will this be available to buy at the Lego store (and other stores)?

Is it limited? :(

Fowler

I love this thread. And I hate this thread.

My backlog is now...

- Bag End
- Jabba's Palace
- Wampa Cave
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Hogwarts

The only reason I haven't built any of 'em is I don't even have space for ONE of them... and Arkham Asylum is coming in January... oh man.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Behold, KARMA!!!

Seriously thought that feeling sucks. I know it all to well.

Got a 15% off TRU coupon. Time for the 8110 Unimog (if my local store still has it in stock, i.e.).

Even at a $10 markup and tax, less than I can find it for anywhere.

Bandicoot

I think the SSD Target deal blew away my question. Let me try again!

Anyone know if the winter bakery is retired or just out of stock? It shows "sold out" on lego at home and the tag is "hard to find". I can't find it at any other retailers either. (Target, Amazon etc.)

factorybelt

Neo Member

It's my understanding that the bakery is done, like the toy shop was last year.

Our local experts say it's out of print. They also say that Post Office will also not be produced after this holiday season.

Alright so i decided the SSD is way over my head as i am just wanting to start out here and see whether the Lego collector/builder life is even for me ;)

Sticking with the Star Wars theme:

- What would you guys recommend would be a decent "mid-size" set for someone like me who is trying to learn the ropes that is great looking, timeless, well made and has a good bit of detail?

I am currently looking at the Millenium Falcon which kind of seems to fit these criteria, anything else?

R-User!

I purchased the SSD before the price change! This is my most expensive set ever purchased. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

I hope they don't cancel for you; I tried to get it too but a quick juggle of expenses wasn't a quick enough juggle I'm afraid! Alas! T'was not to be today for me.

Which reminds me: I need to check my Hyrule Historia preorder...

Alright so i decided the SSD is way over my head as i am just wanting to start out here and see whether the Lego collector/builder life is even for me ;)

Sticking with the Star Wars theme:

- What would you guys recommend would be a decent "mid-size" set for someone like me who is trying to learn the ropes that is great looking, timeless, well made and has a good bit of detail?

I am currently looking at the Millenium Falcon which kind of seems to fit these criteria, anything else?

My son and I love the Millennium Falcon, but I think that the X-Wing would meet your criteria as well for a cheaper entry price-point than the Falcon. :)

looks like it might have been an error. The 20% off deal was happening twice. Once at the 399.99 price to make it 319.99, then again after checkout to make it 256.

Price is now changed to 399.

It's irritating what retailers do: raise the price of an already discounted item back to MSRP so that they can do us the favor of offering us a new sale price of the exact same thing as before! I'm just bitter cuz I missed the boat (knock on wood for those who got their orders in). :/

Thanks, i am currently checking out the X-Wing hmm, doesn't have the cult factor of the falcon and is of course less detailed since smaller, BUT it looks alright, it doesn't come with a stand though does it? So how does it look if it's just "standing" there on it's wings since i will be using it primarily for display purposes lol.

Which kinda reminds me: Do most of Lego GAF have kids that actually play with these models or are there also some childless men here that simply enjoy these things just for collection, building and display reasons like i would? ;) just wondering how "niche" this hobby really is

ruxtpin

Banned
Which kinda reminds me: Do most of Lego GAF have kids that actually play with these models or are there also some childless men here that simply enjoy these things just for collection, building and display reasons like i would? ;) just wondering how "niche" this hobby really is

I swoosh all my models. Even if it's not something that's supposed to fly.

X-Wing, Y-Wing and Falcon all have great swoosh-ability, but that's cuz they're spaceships.

But there's nothing like swooshing a modular, or a bunch of modulars connected together.

I would definitely say it's a fairly "niche" hobby for adults to get into really heavily.

Lego is immensely popular with kids, and most adults would get a kick out of getting a set in their stocking...but hunting down very large & very expensive sets like a lot of people in this thread do is definitely not the norm. This isn't meant pejoratively either-my older daughter (6) loves Lego but there's some of daddy's stuff she knows not to mess with. Lego is popular enough that the subculture of adults who really dig it is large enough to build communities around-but not representative of the "societal norm". Remember: we are talking about following instructions meant for kids and then displaying the results.

I would definitely say it's a fairly "niche" hobby for adults to get into really heavily.

Lego is immensely popular with kids, and most adults would get a kick out of getting a set in their stocking...but hunting down very large & very expensive sets like a lot of people in this thread do is definitely not the norm. This isn't meant pejoratively either-my older daughter (6) loves Lego but there's some of daddy's stuff she knows not to mess with. Lego is popular enough that the subculture of adults who really dig it is large enough to build communities around-but not representative of the "societal norm". Remember: we are talking about following instructions meant for kids and then displaying the results.

LOL yeah i know what you mean, obviously the kick here is not to display your "building skill" but rather display the object and it's detail itself and to profess your love for that franchise it portrays.

Yeah i already know it IS a niche but i was wondering just how big or small a niche it really was. As you said though, i suppose there are quite a few collectors of these things around the world. I guess there are also non Lego models of these things available with far greater detail but these to me lose some of the "fun" to be had in being able to remove certain parts or interact with a model by adding little individual touches like placing figures in different places etc.

neonglow

Thanks, i am currently checking out the X-Wing hmm, doesn't have the cult factor of the falcon and is of course less detailed since smaller, BUT it looks alright, it doesn't come with a stand though does it? So how does it look if it's just "standing" there on it's wings since i will be using it primarily for display purposes lol.

I get the most enjoyment from building the models. They get displayed for awhile before I dismantle them due to space.

Ok so generally speaking the models that are out right now (2012 line probably) how long will they be available for (if they're not limited?) until they are discontinued?

Top Bottom