• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Nitemare1

So I think the plan for this little guy is to moc a phone booth for him to stand in outside the Grand Emporium !
Also is the movie decent enough or did I just buy a 14$ minifig

Photo1_zps1db02d8d.jpg

Went to the Sherway Gardens LEGO store in Toronto a few days ago with my daughter and while we were feeling the bags, one of the employees mentioned that somebody found a Mr.Gold at the Wal-Mart across the street. So close, yet so far.

Everytime someone gets the Sith Fury, I just nod my head and smile. You will enjoy that set, such a great build, so solid and detailed and so much swoosh factor.
Every time someone gets the Sith Fury, an angel gets its wings.

So I think the plan for this little guy is to moc a phone booth for him to stand in outside the Grand Emporium !
Also is the movie decent enough or did I just buy a 14$ minifig

You totally did, yeah. It's ok though, I bought the Empire Strikes Out video for the same reason. Turns out it is genuinely funny and my daughter loves it.

Went to the Sherway Gardens LEGO store in Toronto a few days ago with my daughter and while we were feeling the bags, one of the employees mentioned that somebody found a Mr.Gold at the Wal-Mart across the street. So close, yet so far.
Every time someone gets the Sith Fury, an angel gets its wings.

I was there last week for the Iron Man fig promo. The staff there are tremendous...it is a shame they aren't allowed to feel for series 10s. I need the bee, Medusa and a second Paris Hilton and am having a tough go at tracking them down.

Ponn

Banned
Mines of Moria finally came in today. Put the first bag together, mostly figs and Troll. The figs are indeed great, but i'm not really changing my mind on the actual set yet. Seems really disjointed. It's ok though because I actually had more of a MOC idea in mind for it then keeping it displayed as is.

I'm also starting to feel like i'm hitting a wall with lego sets. I'm already out of room, i've started tearing down some sets which to me having to store the pieces seems like wasted money. I think i'm definitely going to take a break for awhile with the exception of getting Haunted House sometime before Halloween and Orthanc. I will still pop in and keep tabs but just won't be posting new buys.

And? Impressions, boy! IMPRESSIONS!

It's the best looking set I've put together, if not the best looking set ever. Even though it took a long time, I'm glad I built it with my wife. It might have been more tedious by myself. We ended up each building a tower, which worked out perfectly. They really nailed a lot of little details from the real bridge. Now I really can't wait for the rumored Opera House.

It's the best looking set I've put together, if not the best looking set ever. Even though it took a long time, I'm glad I built it with my wife. It might have been more tedious by myself. We ended up each building a tower, which worked out perfectly. They really nailed a lot of little details from the real bridge. Now I really can't wait for the rumored Opera House.

It truly is a magnificent beast once assembled. Some steps are tedious (yes, lets use over 100 cheese slopes on one step!), but the look is worth it in the end.
I am still debating about disassembling all MOCs just to rebuild Tower Bridge. But damn is it daunting to disassemble everything.

It truly is a magnificent beast once assembled. Some steps are tedious (yes, lets use over 100 cheese slopes on one step!), but the look is worth it in the end.
I am still debating about disassembling all MOCs just to rebuild Tower Bridge. But damn is it daunting to disassemble everything.

Cheese slope nightmares will be had.

Rebuild it!

Cheese slope nightmares will be had.

Rebuild it!

It is more a problem of "where the hell do I put all these pieces!?" as I take apart the MOCs. My storage is busting at the seams now. There is not enough room for the MOCs. Of course, I could start going through the parts inventory for Tower Bridge and figure out exactly what I need and go from there. Hell, I may not need to take much apart at all at this point. My collection is MUCH larger than it was last year when I got Tower Bridge.

So, seeing as it's maybe the only worthwhile set that Amazon US will ship abroad for that delicious USD RRP... Any opinions on the 7965 Millennium Falcon?

MillenniYUM or MillenniDUMB?!

So, seeing as it's maybe the only worthwhile set that Amazon US will ship abroad for that delicious USD RRP... Any opinions on the 7965 Millennium Falcon?

MillenniYUM or MillenniDUMB?!

I liked it a lot. There are a few on here that were disappointed by it, but I thought it was a fun build. The figures are great as well, and it looks nice once done.
Is it to scale? No. But it is immediately recognizable.

TripOpt55

Started up King's Castle. Not too far yet. Just working on the front gate. The Drawbridge/Portcullis are pretty cool though I kind of wish the drawbridge used chains instead of string. Minifigures are nice. I never had one of those can-type helmets that the bad guy had due to my ill-timed Lego hiatus. Also my first of the new horses! Sweet!

Ainaurdur

PSA for USA LEGO GAF. Amazon now has the A-Wing on sale for $17.99.

Don't like the ship? Who cares?! It has Admiral Ackbar with a coffee mug!

I think I might order it, I also might grab the Swarm Interceptor which I have been watching for a couple weeks as well. The price has been dropping about 1% each day in the past week though, not sure if I should wait a little more, or grab it now before the price pops back up to full. It is impossible to tell with Amazon discount prices.

I think I might order it, I also might grab the Swarm Interceptor which I have been watching for a couple weeks as well. The price has been dropping about 1% each day though, not sure if I should wait a little more, or grab it now before the price pops back up to full. It is impossible to tell with Amazon discount prices.

Swarm Interceptor will be mine VERY soon. If not this weekend, by next weekend. If you have not yet gotten it, I highly recommend Space Swarmer. Tiny, cheap, and glorious. That set packs so much awesome into a $12 package.

Ainaurdur

Swarm Interceptor will be mine VERY soon. If not this weekend, by next weekend. If you have not yet gotten it, I highly recommend Space Swarmer. Tiny, cheap, and glorious. That set packs so much awesome into a $12 package.

I have not started into Galaxy Squad yet. Had to finish first wave of LotR first. But I am wanting to pick up at least half of GS mixed in with Hobbit and second wave LotR. But also still have not gotten the Sith Fury even though I have talked about it several times over the last 6 months.

Things keep coming up and stealing away my Lego funds!

I will absolutely get the Swarmer as well though, have no fear. To me, it is an essential companion set to the Interceptor. Almost like it should have just been two parts of the same set priced at $30-35, but they decided to split the Blue Team for some reason in the first GS wave. (As long as we ignore that Star Slicer even exists.)

mrkgoo

For whatever reason, I discovered that if you actually flick the flick missiles...they fire pretty far, like across the room. I thought you were supposed to just push them, and use the force of the clip itself, but then it's pretty lame.

Flick missiles are still pretty lame.

neonglow

For whatever reason, I discovered that if you actually flick the flick missiles...they fire pretty far, like across the room. I thought you were supposed to just push them, and use the force of the clip itself, but then it's pretty lame.

Flick missiles are still pretty lame.

I've never actually tried to flick one. I also thought you were only suppose to push them. The cannon in the Lone Ranger cavalry set actually launches the piece very far.

79106-1.jpg

mrkgoo

I've never actually tried to flick one. I also thought you were only suppose to push them. The cannon in the Lone Ranger cavalry set actually launches the piece very far.

79106-1.jpg

Hmm, strange. I remember having a canon from years back, but can't remember for the life of me what I ever bought that came with one.

Anyway, try flicking the flick missiles!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm, strange. I remember having a canon from years back, but can't remember for the life of me what I ever bought that came with one.

Anyway, try flicking the flick missiles!

I definitely had a cannon when I was younger too, think I must have had some Pirate/Shark/Treasure Chest/Cannon containing set as I had a bunch of that stuff. Didn't have a big boat though, so It must have been a little island or something.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

I built mine with my wife as well. It is easier to power through it that way. All the cheese slopes get annoying. My wife actually finished it off while she was home for a break.

PSA for USA LEGO GAF. Amazon now has the A-Wing on sale for $17.99.

Don't like the ship? Who cares?! It has Admiral Ackbar with a coffee mug!

Damn it. I have no desire to buy or build this.....I could buy the figure later if I wanted it... I will be strong. LEGO Store this weekend with $300 to spend. I need to figure out what I will buy. So many things I still want.

So is there anywhere I can buy just the most basic lego blocks for cheap? I realize this might be a dumb question since it seems like Legos are wallet breaking expensive, but I was hoping maybe since I'm not looking for any special pieces there might be a cheap bulk way of buying bricks.

I am literally looking ONLY for the BRICKS. No weird flat pieces or angles or wheels or anything.

I have recently been addicted to building these guys for my desk at work

hxrLfH6l.jpg

However one 30$ pack barely managed to build 2 of them. So I'm hoping there is somewhere I can just buy the normal colored normal bricks for cheap....does such a thing exist?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Alright guys, I still want/need to get 10220 VW Van, 10224 Town Hall, 10225 R2D2, 10228 Haunted House. Also I am in debate on 10188 Death Star. I have no desire to play with a set and $400 is a lot of money for this thing. What should I do. Obviously Death Star and VW Van are the oldest and most likely to retire. How long do I have on HH? WHAT DO I DO?

Calm Killer

So is there anywhere I can buy just the most basic lego blocks for cheap? I realize this might be a dumb question since it seems like Legos are wallet breaking expensive, but I was hoping maybe since I'm not looking for any special pieces there might be a cheap bulk way of buying bricks.

I am literally looking ONLY for the BRICKS. No weird flat pieces or angles or wheels or anything.

hxrLfH6l.jpg

However one 30$ pack barely managed to build 2 of them. So I'm hoping there is somewhere I can just buy the normal colored normal bricks for cheap....does such a thing exist?

LEGO Stores have pick a brick walls. They have many different options to pick from there. You can get a small cup for $7.99 and a large cup for $14.99. Or you can purchase them directly from LEGO.com's pick a brick: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme

Bricklink.com also sells pieces. I would say the pick a brick wall or website would be the best bet though.

Alright guys, I still want/need to get 10220 VW Van, 10224 Town Hall, 10225 R2D2, 10228 Haunted House. Also I am in debate on 10188 Death Star. I have no desire to play with a set and $400 is a lot of money for this thing. What should I do. Obviously Death Star and VW Van are the oldest and most likely to retire. How long do I have on HH? WHAT DO I DO?

I get the feeling with the Monster Fighters lineup being finished, we'll see the HH disappear soon.

Death Star is very nice but it really is a play set. It's very "busy" for a display piece.

hxrLfH6l.jpg

Bricklink is great. Find a seller who has the generic pieces for cheapest and is reasonably near you. Normally when you buy loads of similar pieces you can get discounts too.

I'm quite impressed by the way, S@H already shipped my minifigs and the PAB stuff will arrive later. I thought I would have to wait for all of it.

Bricklink is great. Find a seller who has the generic pieces for cheapest and is reasonably near you. Normally when you buy loads of similar pieces you can get discounts too.

I'm quite impressed by the way, S@H already shipped my minifigs and the PAB stuff will arrive later. I thought I would have to wait for all of it.

I took a quick look at bricklink and holy confusing site. Maybe I'm just confused because I'm very new to Lego and dont know all the terms, but man I can't seem to figure the site out. Granted I only gave it a few minutes look b/c I'm at work. Guess I'll have to dive in while I'm at home.

Calm Killer

I took a quick look at bricklink and holy confusing site. Maybe I'm just confused because I'm very new to Lego and dont know all the terms, but man I can't seem to figure the site out. Granted I only gave it a few minutes look b/c I'm at work. Guess I'll have to dive in while I'm at home.

It can be very confusing to start, but once you understand it it is a great tool. basically it is individuals selling all lego parts/sets/ items. The first thing you will want to do is determine what the piece number or name is that you are looking for. Then you can search for all the sellers that are selling those items.

Death Star is my personal favorite. Sure, it is a playset, but also a great display piece. PalaceBrother said it is a bit too busy, but that is where the versatility comes in. It doubles as a great mini figure display piece.

Having said that, of all the sets you listed, the combo I would go with would be VW Van and Haunted House. Both offer excellent, yet completely different builds. Both are also fantastic display sets once completed. Add in the fact that they probably wont last the year and that makes them the combo to beat.

Town Hall is nice and all, but you have another year or more for that one. Hell, I am surprised Fire Brigade is still hanging on.
R2D2 is another favorite set from last year, and is a cute lil bastard once completed, but you have another year or so on him as well.

So, again, I would say go for the VW Van and Haunted House combo.

Calm Killer

Death Star is my personal favorite. Sure, it is a playset, but also a great display piece. PalaceBrother said it is a bit too busy, but that is where the versatility comes in. It doubles as a great mini figure display piece.

Having said that, of all the sets you listed, the combo I would go with would be VW Van and Haunted House. Both offer excellent, yet completely different builds. Both are also fantastic display sets once completed. Add in the fact that they probably wont last the year and that makes them the combo to beat.

Town Hall is nice and all, but you have another year or more for that one. Hell, I am surprised Fire Brigade is still hanging on.
R2D2 is another favorite set from last year, and is a cute lil bastard once completed, but you have another year or so on him as well.

Thanks Bone, That was the direction I was thinking of heading. My Birthday is in August so I might be able to pool all my birthday money into the Death Star at that point.

R-User!

I agree. HH and VW!

Also, Calm are you still interested in our trade potential like we discussed before? :)

Calm Killer

I agree. HH and VW!

Also, Calm are you still interested in our trade potential like we discussed before? :)

Sure, I will have to review what all you wanted from the PAB wall. As long as my wife doesn't kill me for being in the LEGO store for 2 long. I will most likely be going this Friday. I will post when I get there.

Sure, I will have to review what all you wanted from the PAB wall. As long as my wife doesn't kill me for being in the LEGO store for 2 long. I will most likely be going this Friday. I will post when I get there.

Topsy turvy that shit on her. The amount of time I've spent following my wife around a clothes store like a lost puppy. Got me thinking, if LEGO could only put a PAB wall in every women's clothing store...

Calm Killer

Topsy turvy that shit on her. The amount of time I've spent following my wife around a clothes store like a lost puppy. Got me thinking, if LEGO could only put a PAB wall in every women's clothing store...

That is what I did when I got my Minifigs in Target. I'm going to the LEGO section. Find me when you need me.

Top Bottom