• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I love to tease the lego star wars nuts :p

forest-maiden-has-leia-hair.jpg

star-wars-leia-endor-ewoks.jpg

Nice find. Guess what minifig will be an exclusive to the Ewok UCS set.

mrkgoo

So the last day of our 30-50% off sale I bought Unexpected Gathering, which has been unavailable since it seemed to sell out at Christmas time.

They must've received a new shipment. I gave it to my wife, whom I also gave gandalf's arrival. She took months to get around to making that, so I don't know how long I have to wait this time...

I keep wondering if I should have bought something major like B-wing, SSD or Death Star for 30% off. But man, those models are expensive. Death Star is NZ$900!

Ponn

Banned
So I put the Mothership together.

klHpRoM.jpg

Two really cool figs.

oF1VBYP.jpg

"I'm looking for directions to a place called "Five Guys", please assist me human"

0wtdN1G.jpg

'Like no way, i'm totally getting abducted. Maybe I can make a new out of this world sex tape and become famous again!"

mjX6i5i.jpg

Okay so

Positives - Really, REALLY fun build with some repetition but just a very different build. Variety of pieces, some cool train track pieces put to unusual and unique use. Big pieces, small pieces, lots of cool blue and green translucent pieces.

Negatives - Only two figs, great mini figs, but only two. Sound block is going to get annoying fast. Its big and unusual shape with no landing gear and crane/hook on bottom make placement very hard. I'm afraid its going to be taken apart and stored quickly. Again, only two figs, I got it on clearance but still for an over $50 dollar set only two figs, the instructions and sticker sheet just thrown in the box kind of disappointed for price point.

Summary - Great set for the awesome and variety of pieces, 2 great figs, not great for display.

neonglow

I wanted to give Nanoblocks a try so I purchased the Taj Mahal. The blocks are just too small for me and my fingertips hurt after building it. The box listed 490 pieces, but most of those were tiny 1x1 circular blocks used in the 4 pillars. It looks alright after building it, but it looks like something that came out of a 3D printer.

Ponn

Banned

I didn't buy it, but I am sure others would like to know that this is in the wild now...
$55 tru price.

Not liking the old school feel on these Castle sets. Dragon is cool, but I have a feeling we are going to get some Hobbit wave 2 set announcements later, maybe summer that will include a certain central character from the 2nd movie.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wanted to give Nanoblocks a try so I purchased the Taj Mahal. The blocks are just too small for me and my fingertips hurt after building it. The box listed 490 pieces, but most of those were tiny 1x1 circular blocks used in the 4 pillars. It looks alright after building it, but it looks like something that came out of a 3D printer

I'll have to post pictures of my build of the Deluxe Castle I just finished. I prefer the display and style of Nanoblocks over LEGO myself. My collection has grown far beyond what I would hve expected.

TripOpt55

That set seems expensive for the piece count. I know a little is the markup for TRU, but is it partly because of the dragon that it is so high?

I think that may be the set I grab first though. Maybe I can modify the building to be a little cooler myself. I like the stairs a lot. Do you guys ever do that? Like half-MOC? Just kind of mod an existing set. I've been thinking of ways to do that with some of these upcoming sets. I'm a sucker for the classic Castle stuff though. That is what I grew up on.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'll have to post pictures of my build of the Deluxe Castle I just finished. I prefer the display and style of Nanoblocks over LEGO myself. My collection has grown far beyond what I would hve expected.

Blasphemy!!!! Kill it with fire!!!

Not liking the old school feel on these Castle sets. Dragon is cool, but I have a feeling we are going to get some Hobbit wave 2 set announcements later, maybe summer that will include a certain central character from the 2nd movie.

These don't scream old school castle to me, they kinda scream Castle Jr. to me. Some of those old castle sets were great...this, not so much...I like some of the pieces there and all but not enough to buy it at full price.

These don't scream old school castle to me, they kinda scream Castle Jr. to me. Some of those old castle sets were great...this, not so much...I like some of the pieces there and all but not enough to buy it at full price.
I think it is the bright colors mixed with the more traditional castle colors that gives me that vibe too. The figures look top notch though.

mrkgoo

The ultimate Iron Man Armory, by becauseBATMAN on Eurobricks:

9xmV4FG.jpg

JhUU1of.jpg

Nuts! That's awesome.

Of all places, I found some clearance lego at my super market. It was an Endor battle set that comes with a couple rebel troops, a storm trooper and a scout trooper minifig. Cost NZ$12 (~US$8-9), down from $30. Worth it for the two trooper minifigs and speeder bike!

I think it is the bright colors mixed with the more traditional castle colors that gives me that vibe too. The figures look top notch though.

I may have to see some examples because I'm just not seeing it. I have my Black Knight's Castle set on the table and except for the one housing area with the yellow walls, it doesn't jump out at me like this castle does.

I may have to see some examples because I'm just not seeing it. I have my Black Knight's Castle set on the table and except for the one housing area with the yellow walls, it doesn't jump out at me like this castle does.

6086-1.jpg

Black Knight's Castle was still pretty tame with the colors outside of that one roof and the baseplate.

The two castles I had as a kid were Black Falcon's Fortress and Black Monarch's Castle:
6074-1.jpg

6085-1.jpg

Compared to the new castle:
I think it is the colored cheese slopes all over the place, and the colored bricks as the hubs to the wheels that make it feel more like a kid's castle.
The construction and design look incredibly similar, but the bright colors at the top are just very jarring.

Ainaurdur

This image reminded me, I miss when sets actually came with baseplates. Now they seem to rely on having these small pieces of a scene set on regular plates that just end up scattered all over the table or wherever you may be displaying or playing with them.

At least they still sell the baseplates individually, maybe I should grab a couple in my next Lego order.

ghostmind

FW49Nhs.jpg

Filling in the gaps in my Star Wars collection with the awesome Venator.

In addition to the other display issues I am trying to sort out, I would like to create a capital ship collection display.

So now Lego has my credit card details. It starts...

I found out from the local shop that they won't be getting the Series 10 figures until sometime in June, along with Turtles and Lone Ranger, so I'm putting that off for now. Instead I ordered a bunch of the figures from Lego. I'm not certain how great my odds are for something good without feeling them up myself, but the random aspect of it is rather thrilling too.

I also get the missing items I needed off PAB, so that's one thing sorted. Oh, and a free Iron Man. Oh, and a whopping 31 points towards Orthanc.

robochimp

FW49Nhs.jpg

Filling in the gaps in my Star Wars collection with the awesome Venator.

In addition to the other display issues I am trying to sort out, I would like to create a capital ship collection display.

I'm planning something similar. My plans are built around the super star destroyer though. I don't like the scale difference between it and the other full star destroyer sets.

So far I have the midi scale star destroyer. Which is a really under rated and under valued set( got mine MNIB on eBay for $28)

My plan is to work on a midi scale venator. Found a few that people have made but no one included instructions.

After I saw a video review of the set, I was much more impressed with the set. I think this castle will make its mark on kids.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So now Lego has my credit card details. It starts...

I found out from the local shop that they won't be getting the Series 10 figures until sometime in June, along with Turtles and Lone Ranger, so I'm putting that off for now. Instead I ordered a bunch of the figures from Lego. I'm not certain how great my odds are for something good without feeling them up myself, but the random aspect of it is rather thrilling too.

I also get the missing items I needed off PAB, so that's one thing sorted. Oh, and a free Iron Man. Oh, and a whopping 31 points towards Orthanc.

I ordered 16 series 10 figures from S@H and I got 12 out of 16.

mrkgoo

Why does my storm trooper and scout trooper come with Teniers Morrison -looking heads?

Are the original trilogy troops all supposed to be clones now?

Calm Killer

That's very good for a random selection. What doubles did you end up with?

I am sorry I lied. It was 10 out of 16. I had 2 Clowns, 2 Roman Soldiers, 3 baseball players, 2 grandpas and 2 paint ballers. I was missing Librarian, Indian Warrior, painter, Medusa, Bee Lady and Captain. I didn't open the bags, just felt them so I am going to attempt to return them this weekend.

TripOpt55

I just bought King's Castle with the 20% off at TRU. Excited to start it tonight :D Going to try and make it bigger with some of my old pieces after I finish the first build.

mrkgoo

Will double check when I get home, but I think the Best Star Stormtroopers had solid black heads under the helmets.

Recent set I had still used the black blank heads

According to the comparison, I have the 2012 troopers with a slightly different chest design (uses thick lines instead of shading from what I can tell):

185px-Newtrooper.jpg

It has back painting too that is different. It does NOT look like this:

3621360701_f372fbfd15.jpg

ghostmind

Looks like LEGO stores are starting to put the summer sets out for Creator, City, Castle and Galaxy Squad. Apparently they have (or at least some of them have) LotR in the back room, but they aren't supposed to put them out until June 1st.

Top Bottom