• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

When customising today, I realized that one of the torsos used for a red figure was actually a Space torso in pretty good condition, that I must have picked up early in my Bricklink adventures. Like hell that's getting painted over. Luckily I had a spare airtank and helmet, so now I've got a red spaceman extra. Also put together an extra blue and yellow one to keep him company.

I wish Lego would make a true retro Space theme and add more colors to the original set, but I'm guessing they don't have the mold for the old helmet anymore, since the minifig reissues use the new visor design.

PSA: Target has the Sith Fury on sale in stores for $69 and change. Less than $.10 a piece. Awesome build. Maximum swoosh factor.

When customising today, I realized that one of the torsos used for a red figure was actually a Space torso in pretty good condition, that I must have picked up early in my Bricklink adventures. Like hell that's getting painted over. Luckily I had a spare airtank and helmet, so now I've got a red spaceman extra. Also put together an extra blue and yellow one to keep him company.

I wish Lego would make a true retro Space theme and add more colors to the original set, but I'm guessing they don't have the mold for the old helmet anymore, since the minifig reissues use the new visor design.

They still make helmets and visors for the Futuron/Blacktron helmet designs.

Man that'd be sweet. I want blacktron and magnetron... Heck I miss me some spytron or ice planet

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Where have all the Amazon Warehouse deals and all the walmart sales gone?

neonglow

Where have all the Amazon Warehouse deals and all the walmart sales gone?

Around July or early August, Walmart should be clearancing last year's stuff to make room for this year's Christmas toys. I expect to see the rest of the City Forest, City mining, and first wave of Marvel and DC sets to get clearanced.

Around July or early August, Walmart should be clearancing last year's stuff to make room for this year's Christmas toys. I expect to see the rest of the City Forest, City mining, and first wave of Marvel and DC sets to get clearanced.

My local Wal Mart sucks for clearance. It is only the Harry Potter rare find that makes me keep checking them, but otherwise nothing gets marked down, and if it is it is minuscule.

neonglow

My local Wal Mart sucks for clearance. It is only the Harry Potter rare find that makes me keep checking them, but otherwise nothing gets marked down, and if it is it is minuscule.

I usually check like 4-5 Walmarts in my area. There's always one that has something marked down further than the rest. One time, I found a Walmart that had An Unexpected Gathering for $40.

I was playing around with my Hive Crawler and discovered one of my cats is terrified of it. LOL. She is fine until the legs start moving and it seems like it is stalking her.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

I guess the would be about the same time I bought a lot of my in sale/clearance stuff last year. Thanks.

R-User!

Sure, I will have to review what all you wanted from the PAB wall. As long as my wife doesn't kill me for being in the LEGO store for 2 long. I will most likely be going this Friday. I will post when I get there.

What time of the day around do you think you'll arrive at the store so I can keep a lookout refreshing this thread looking for your post? And if you do end up being able to pile up a couple of cups for me, then thanks in advance. And if not, no sweat. :) just enjoy yourself in the store, because I don't want you filling cups for me to be a burden for you or your wife!! :)

So what do you think about it?

And I'm hoping to get the Galactic Titan later this week, if they get it in stock.

I liked it a lot. It does look a little plain without the stickers, but was a really fun build. Not a fan of the exposed sides though. The little details inside of it did make me think of Earth Defense HQ. The mech is great though. So cute, but so lethal looking.

I was scouring for the Galactic Titan today at TRU. No luck obviously. I will have to wait on that. Going to snag Swarm Interceptor and Warp Stinger in a week though.

Rankings of Galaxy Squad so far: Hive Crawler>Bug Obliterator>Vermin Vaporizer>Space Swarmer>Star Slicer

And I also took a mech family portrait once I finished. I really need to get the Samurai Mech now.

Full size image when you click.

ghostmind

I liked it a lot. It does look a little plain without the stickers, but was a really fun build. Not a fan of the exposed sides though. The little details inside of it did make me think of Earth Defense HQ. The mech is great though. So cute, but so lethal looking.

I was scouring for the Galactic Titan today at TRU. No luck obviously. I will have to wait on that. Going to snag Swarm Interceptor and Warp Stinger in a week though.

And I also took a mech family portrait once I finished. I really need to get the Samurai Mech now.

I need to get that Chima mech when it comes out, and then build my mech army.

ghostmind

Did you get Kai's Fire Mech yet? The little guy in this pic? I loved that little guy. Really cool and posable, and only $10.

My son got the Fire Mech for Christmas, so I would need to "borrow" it, the Samurai Mech, the Fangpyre Mech, and the Golden Mech from his Ninjago collection.

Did you get the Crater Creeper yet?

ghostmind

The Warp Stinger looks way better without the two spindly front legs. It's obvious they put them in for balance reasons, but the set will stand up on its own without them.

Calm Killer

What time of the day around do you think you'll arrive at the store so I can keep a lookout refreshing this thread looking for your post? And if you do end up being able to pile up a couple of cups for me, then thanks in advance. And if not, no sweat. :) just enjoy yourself in the store, because I don't want you filling cups for me to be a burden for you or your wife!! :)

Probably 7 or 8 eastern. I'll do my best.

My son got the Fire Mech for Christmas, so I would need to "borrow" it, the Samurai Mech, the Fangpyre Mech, and the Golden Mech from his Ninjago collection.

Did you get the Crater Creeper yet?

Oops. Forgot about that one. It keeps blending in on the shelf at TRU. That will come eventually. But Galaxy Squad is my favorite thing this year so far. It reminds me so much of the awesome space stuff as a kid, but with a lot more detail and playability now.

Thinking of clearing off the table and finding all the grey and crater baseplates I can find and making a big space battle between the Galaxy Squad and bug menace.

ghostmind

Oops. Forgot about that one. It keeps blending in on the shelf at TRU. That will come eventually. But Galaxy Squad is my favorite thing this year so far. It reminds me so much of the awesome space stuff as a kid, but with a lot more detail and playability now.

Thinking of clearing off the table and finding all the grey and crater baseplates I can find and making a big space battle between the Galaxy Squad and bug menace.

Planning on that as well, once I have that Titan!

Galaxy Squad is my "Monster Fighters" for 2013, though the MF's are still the superior theme.

Planning on that as well, once I have that Titan!

Galaxy Squad is my "Monster Fighters" for 2013, though the MF's are still the superior theme.

That is the only thing holding me back. I want them all before setting up the epic battle. Of course, I could have the GS getting killed out there, and when the Titan arrives the tide of battle turns.

And Monster Fighters wins just for the mini figures and the Haunted House. I only need to get Ghost Train to have all the MF stuff. Most are in boxes unopened right now as I wait for Halloween.
So far though, I like the builds and playability of GS more, but MF had more character to it.

And MF still has the trump card of Haunted House in its favor. Unless LEGO gives us a HUGE Galaxy Squad set near the end of the year.

I think that's BS by LEGO. They make new moulds all the time. That said, as much as I would like the classic space helmet remakes for nostalgia purposes, I think LEGO was smart not to remake them. IMO, they are very fragile and I think all of mine cracked in the front by the chin line.

Rankings of Galaxy Squad so far: Hive Crawler>Bug Obliterator>Vermin Vaporizer>Space Swarmer>Star Slicer

That is a great sales pitch for buying any sets with mechs in them. Lex Luthor is a favorite of mine, but the Orange GS Mech looks awesome next to it. Ninjago fire mech is great for the price, but I find it lacking. I think it's the ornamental stuff that tends to fall off.

I was bad today and picked this up while at Target. Now all I need is Swarm Interceptor, Warp Stinger, and Galactic Titan to finish the line.

Soon...

I was going to write how you have a buying problem, but then I looked in the mirror and realized I'm the same. I'm somewhere around 200-400% over budget. That number is also probably low too as I'm in denial.

But Galaxy Squad is my favorite thing this year so far. It reminds me so much of the awesome space stuff as a kid, but with a lot more detail and playability now.

Yes! Exact reason why I love Galaxy Squad and 2011's Alien Conquest theme. The Space Vermin Vaporizer is going to be my next GS purchase as well, can't wait to build it. And what are you thoughts on the Warp Stinger and Star Slicer? I may skip them...

Finally finished the Quinjet today. Damn, this IS an awesome set that is truly impressive once it's build in person. Can't believe I waited so long to pick it up.

That is a great sales pitch for buying any sets with mechs in them. Lex Luthor is a favorite of mine, but the Orange GS Mech looks awesome next to it. Ninjago fire mech is great for the price, but I find it lacking. I think it's the ornamental stuff that tends to fall off.

I like the ornamental stuff. Notice I have a bad guy impaled on one of the ornamental swords. :)

Yes! Exact reason why I love Galaxy Squad and 2011's Alien Conquest theme. The Space Vermin Vaporizer is going to be my next GS purchase as well, can't wait to build it. And what are you thoughts on the Warp Stinger and Star Slicer? I may skip them...

Finally finished the Quinjet today. Damn, this IS an awesome set that is truly impressive once it's build in person. Can't believe I waited so long to pick it up.

First off: QUINJET STRIKES AGAIN!

Second: I need Warp Stinger still. I have been extremely vocal in my disappointment in Star Slicer for a bit now. The red bug mini fig is cool, as is the GS vehicle that comes with it. But the giant mantis itself is flimsy looking and ugly. I would get it only if you are a completist.

Second: I need Warp Stinger still. I have been extremely vocal in my disappointment in Star Slicer for a bit now. The red bug mini fig is cool, as is the GS vehicle that comes with it. But the giant mantis itself is flimsy looking and ugly. I would get it only if you are a completist.

Sounds like I can skip them both. Thankfully the second wave of GS has much better Bug sets. The small "base" included with the Galactic Titan is pretty nice and the two dedicated sets in the Crater Creeper & Hive Crawler are definite must buys.

If there are anymore GS sets after the second wave, I hope the Red Team will finally receive a full vehicle. They've been shafted twice!

If there are anymore GS sets after the second wave, I hope the Red Team will finally receive a full vehicle. They've been shafted twice!

Well, they are the red shirts. They are there to get killed. At least that is my theory at least. The red shirts get the crap vehicles and the biggest bugs to fight. They are expendable.
All the while Team Orange gets the coolest toys.

TripOpt55

I was bad today and picked this up while at Target. Now all I need is Swarm Interceptor, Warp Stinger, and Galactic Titan to finish the line.

Soon...

I'm not sure why, but this is the GS set I had been eyeing the most. Maybe it was just the Green color. Looked pretty rad though. If I have some more in my Lego Budget this year after Castle, I'm going to get some of these.

Well, they are the red shirts. They are there to get killed. At least that is my theory at least. The red shirts get the crap vehicles and the biggest bugs to fight. They are expendable.
All the while Team Orange gets the coolest toys.

Then LEGO should give us an army builder set made up of Reds with new faces. I'd love that!

I'm not sure why, but this is the GS set I had been eyeing the most. Maybe it was just the Green color. Looked pretty rad though. If I have some more in my Lego Budget this year after Castle, I'm going to get some of these.

This one was cool, but two of the best sets this year so far are Bug Obliterator and Hive Crawler. Seriously awesome stuff. I am afraid of how much Galactic Titan is going to kick my ass.

Then LEGO should give us an army builder set made up of Reds with new faces. I'd love that!

Thankfully I have some old school space figures around. :) And the Alien Conquest figures along with some of the collectible mini figs fit in nicely.
Maybe the zombie space man from one of the last series is a GS member that got infected by the bugs.

My Microscale Hogwarts is complete. I finally got all my Bricklink orders in, cleaned up the buildings and added a few new elements. Sorry for the image dump:

Full Shot

fof6uBLh.jpg

The Great Hall with courtyard

LkM9P0l.jpg

Marble Staircase Tower

dgPWgLE.jpg

Bell Towers

zzDweaM.jpg

Path leading down to the boathouse

5sNcAOy.jpg

Rear shot with the Quidditch Pitch

tuELtqN.jpg

Quidditch Pitch with spectator stands in the four house colors

38qBO04.jpg

and now the money maker, the Great Hall, illuminated

uysK9vR.jpg

rMCQOYx.jpg

Tell me what you guys think!

Woorloog

Banned
What's with the red cross-bar (or whatever it is called) in that one pic? EDIT is it the lightswitch?

Pretty good otherwise, if a bit cramped.

lingiii

Banned
incredible work on the elements, Harry, but I agree it's a little cramped. only room for one set of Quiddich goalposts :(

still though, super awesome work.

My Microscale Hogwarts is complete. I finally got all my Bricklink orders in, cleaned up the buildings and added a few new elements. Sorry for the image dump:

Full Shot

fof6uBLh.jpg

I think this is tremendous; well done.

Others are saying it's cramped, but frankly I think that fits with the style you're going for. It's instantly recognizable and shows very nicely.

Your fully-lit photographs are very well framed.

Full Shot

fof6uBLh.jpg

Looks great. Love the Quidditch area and the light brick. It does feel a bit cramped, but yet it really doesn't need to open up anymore either. Only thing I would say needs improving is to cover the activation area for the light brick.

Fantastic work though.

Thanks for nice words, guys. I can see how people might find it cramped. I really wanted to keep the size of the set small, like some of the Architecture line. Making it any bigger and I thought I might lose the cozy feel. I tried to cover the switch, but I ran out of room. Again, thanks for the nice words and critiques. I submitted it to CUUSOO for the hell of it. I doubt it will get many votes, but I figured I should get some work out there since I'm already planning my next micro project.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mister Potter, I see you've been wasting your time playing with lego yet again. Perhaps if you spent a little less time playing with toys, and a bit more time practicing potions, you wouldnt be so behind in class? But I suppose that would be too much to ask of the famous Harry Potter. 10 points off Gryffindor

Seriously though, great set. Personally I'd have left the quidditch pitch off, but love all the little details elsewhere - the path to the boathouse is a nice touch.

Full Shot

fof6uBLh.jpg

Rear shot with the Quidditch Pitch

tuELtqN.jpg

Quidditch Pitch with spectator stands in the four house colors

and now the money maker, the Great Hall, illuminated

uysK9vR.jpg

Awesome! I love the Quidditch area. Would be nice to see a comparison with the previous version next to the final one.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That looks fantastic. I actually love the little quidditch pitch, great touch! Shame there's no forbidden forest/whomping willow, but that would probably be too much to squeeze in!

Calm Killer

I just received an email that TRU is having a Memorial Day sale. Buy any LEGO set and get a free Series 10 minifig. Not really a big deal but thought I would pass it along.

Top Bottom