• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

You're a wizard Harry!

vJvZ09I.gif

Mister Potter, I see you've been wasting your time playing with lego yet again. Perhaps if you spent a little less time playing with toys, and a bit more time practicing potions, you wouldnt be so behind in class? But I suppose that would be too much to ask of the famous Harry Potter. 10 points off Gryffindor

Seriously though, great set. Personally I'd have left the quidditch pitch off, but love all the little details elsewhere - the path to the boathouse is a nice touch.

Haha, well played. Thanks again for the pictures btw, they helped me nail down more details.

That looks fantastic. I actually love the little quidditch pitch, great touch! Shame there's no forbidden forest/whomping willow, but that would probably be too much to squeeze in!

Before the pitch, I had the forbidden forest with the whomping willow. The tree was nice, but looked more like a regular tree than the willow. I ended up scrapping it because I wanted the Ford Anglia in the scene, but because of the scale, the car was just too damn big. After that I did Hagrids hut, and I was going to settle on that until I had the idea of using wrenches as Quidditch goals.

Thanks to everyone else for the compliments!

Cruzito

Neo Member
Hello and Hi!

New to posting but have enjoyed reading and viewing the posts/images all of you have shared.
I blame you guys for this new addiction of mine! Sold off a good portion of my Transformers and G.I. Joe to fund the new habit!

I'm excited for the unveil at Times Square in NYC. Actually heading up there at lunch time. Promised my son I'd take "lots of pictures!"

Below is a Twitter pic of the "unveil" rolling through:
QbQgYRO.jpg

I don't think it's a X-Wing!
So much for the photo my son and I worked on last night for the Celebration Guess Submission on the Lego site:
mON8qTG.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
World's Largest SeX-wing

http://i.imgur.com/PaaEUcC.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://gizmodo.com/this-incredible-full-scale-lego-x-wing-is-the-largest-m-509484787"]http://gizmodo.com/this-incredible-full-scale-lego-x-wing-is-the-largest-m-509484787[/URL][/QUOTE]

why

It has rubber-bands. why

My initial reaction to the life size X-Wing was "Really? Make it look exactly like the regular model and not a real X-Wing?"

But looking through the Gizmodo pics, I am more impressed. They actually built the exposed studs, and even the exposed technic pieces on the underside. Very cool attention to detail.

EDIT: That cockpit looks like a printed piece. Where are the mini figs? The price per brick is too high. Will wait for a sale or when they give me a free fig when buying it.

Sorry, bad attempt at mimicking many other LEGO sites.

Hello and Hi!

Below is a Twitter pic of the "unveil" rolling through:
QbQgYRO.jpg

Welcome to the thread!

I don't any hint of big stupid Clone Wars Yoda ears under that tarp. Maybe some assembly is required.

Edit:

Oh holy hell! I didn't realize the Gizmodo story highlighted that the thing was actually brick built! Wow!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That huge LEGO X-Wing is pretty great. Makes me want to buy myself the smaller version now! Found one online for a hair over £30, worth it at that price? Part of me hopes I'll find one in the £20-25 range, don't mind it used, but I doubt it'll happen because it's the X-Wing. Unless anyone here was willing to part with theirs after getting the UCS one anyway...

That huge LEGO X-Wing is pretty great. Makes me want to buy myself the smaller version now! Found one online for a hair over £30, worth it at that price? Part of me hopes I'll find one in the £20-25 range, don't mind it used, but I doubt it'll happen because it's the X-Wing. Unless anyone here was willing to part with theirs after getting the UCS one anyway...

Which is why I think they used the regular model and not the UCS one for the basis. Easier for parents and people to digest. "Look! Buy your own smaller version of this!"

And as for your question, get the regular set. It is fantastic. Unless you can afford the UCS version.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Which is why I think they used the regular model and not the UCS one for the basis. Easier for parents and people to digest. "Look! Buy your own smaller version of this!"

And as for your question, get the regular set. It is fantastic. Unless you can afford the UCS version.

I honestly can't, or I would. I don't have much in the way of disposable income at the moment as I'm saving for a deposit (and live in London so house prices are ridiculous). So I might get myself this as a treat if I can find it for a good price. I definitely can't justify spending £180 on the UCS X-Wing, at least not to my girlfriend, haha. Will bricklink bits for making a little stand and have it as a display piece on my desk maybe.

I honestly can't, or I would. I don't have much in the way of disposable income at the moment as I'm saving for a deposit (and live in London so house prices are ridiculous). So I might get myself this as a treat if I can find it for a good price. I definitely can't justify spending £180 on the UCS X-Wing, at least not to my girlfriend, haha. Will bricklink bits for making a little stand and have it as a display piece on my desk maybe.

I keep reusing this pic, but this is how I made a stand for the X-Wing and Y-Wing. Some others on here made stands as well.

I made stands for my X-Wing and Y-Wing but not the TIE. I want to try and make it look like it is banking or something.

It props the ships up, and gives them the appearance of flying around. Simple and easy to assemble, and rather stable. You can gleam most of what I did just by glancing at the pics. Clicking them will go to the full resolution ones to get a better idea. I tried making a similar stand for the TIE Fighter, but the huge wings make it very difficult to make it look like the ship is banking, and there is not much area for a stand to connect.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wow, That is truly impressive. Wonder why they did the little xwing instead of the UCS? Also where is my EWOK VILLAGE!

I'm sitting here waiting for the FedEx truck to bring me my Red Five :)

This will be my first LEGO build in a long time, and my first UCS build ever. I'm pretty excited. I'll post pictures/impressions when I'm done :D

I'm sitting here waiting for the FedEx truck to bring me my Red Five :)

This will be my first LEGO build in a long time, and my first UCS build ever. I'm pretty excited. I'll post pictures/impressions when I'm done :D

You have just taken your first step into a larger world.

And soon, you will hear the voice of your bank account crying out in terror, and then suddenly silenced.

lingiii

Banned
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-23/life-size-x-wing-fighter-worlds-biggest-lego-model-lands-in-new-york said:
“We have 250,000 known AFOLs in the global community,” says Michael McNally, brand director for Lego in North America. “Of that total, we estimate about 60 percent of them would identify Star Wars as their biggest Lego passion, or who would say that Lego Star Wars reignited their passion for Lego building in general.”

Every North America's LEGO Brand director says AFOL! Bummer!

damn that's silly of him. It's just... .like, adults already have social pressure against spending time and money on kids' toys. distinguishing them with a dorky acronym doesn't help the pr. What community of lego fans invented the acronyms, anyway? MOC is weird, AFOL is awful... I guess "BURP" is kind of funny in a good way.

Woorloog

Banned
Why can't one just call fans "fans"? Adult or not.
Why make things complicated?

EDIT besides, doesn't Lego Company say that legos are for all ages? So... "adult-fan" is kinda reduntant...

lingiii

Banned
damn that's silly of him. It's just... .like, adults already have social pressure against spending time and money on kids' toys. distinguishing them with a dorky acronym doesn't help the pr. What community of lego fans invented the acronyms, anyway? MOC is weird, AFOL is awful... I guess "BURP" is kind of funny in a good way.

BURP and SNOT are great. If anyone has every said "I'm an AFOL!" outloud, they're cruisin' for a bruisin'.

BURP and SNOT are great. If anyone has every said "I'm an AFOL!" outloud, they're cruisin' for a bruisin'.

hmm forgot about SNOT.... idk how I feel about it yet. I like that it's pronouncable. We need a term for that type of building technique. It just isn't hilarious like BURP.

hmm forgot about SNOT.... idk how I feel about it yet. I like that it's pronouncable. We need a term for that type of building technique. It just isn't hilarious like BURP.

They're all terrible. I don't know what BURP is and I refuse to look it up.

Grown-ass folks who like to play with & collect kids' toys. That's all it is and couching it differently is disingenuous.

They're all terrible. I don't know what BURP is and I refuse to look it up.

Grown-ass folks who like to play with & collect kids' toys. That's all it is and couching it differently is disingenuous.

big ugly rock piece. It doesn't offend me because it's so goddamn specific that it is basically never gonna get used. I just like the idea of something officially being called big and ugly.

ghostmind

Welcome to the Community forum folks. I don't think this will change much for us, as we'll still be an open and inviting place for all who want to join in on the conversation.

LEGO-GAF is best GAF.

neonglow

Welcome to the Community forum folks. I don't think this will change much for us, as we'll still be an open and inviting place for all who want to join in on the conversation.

LEGO-GAF is best GAF.

I'm already subscribed to this thread so it's no big deal for me. I hope new posters keep visiting though.

ghostmind

I'm already subscribed to this thread so it's no big deal for me. I hope new posters keep visiting though.

It might be a good idea to post larger news stories to the OT from time to time, not only to share the news with a broader audience, but to also bring awareness to others regarding this main thread.

neonglow

It might be a good idea to post larger news stories to the OT from time to time, not only to share the news with a broader audience, but to also bring awareness to others regarding this main thread.

A good time to do that is when the Ewok Village gets unveiled. The Orthanc Tower would have made a good one too.

Vyer

Moved to the Megablocks of sub forums. :(

Yeah that's going to have to be pretty important now, as far as getting new people to find it.

LEGO-GAF is best GAF.

Agreed.

I like your suggestion of off-topic OTs. It's always great to get new blood into the thread.

Top Bottom