• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

The stickers on this one don't look necessary at all.
Nope. I won't be putting those pasties on my gorilla.

Edit: looking at Warp Stinger and thinking of the giant battle scene I want to make with Galaxy Squad sets. This one can easily be taken into chunks to make it look like it is exploding. :)

TripOpt55

I finished King's Castle the other night. Here are some pictures:

ibeODwJDBT8JpJ.JPG

iWnBKLZja6QSm.JPG

iUdzBUBkSps4M.JPG

ibrwhEyfIYLVDX.JPG

i80gFbjYOY4cq.JPG

Pretty fun. I think it compares pretty well to old castle sets though it has been a while since I've made one. Both opposite corners were kind of same-y and need a bit more pizzazz I think. The way the catapult was built is cool. I like the look of the little rolling one too. Also my first new horse! Look at it getting up on its hind legs.

I started working on some Castle renovations tonight though. Plan is to add stables, armory, main hall/counsel room and some kind of king's keep/bedroom. Was just trying to figure out how to expand the size of the castle tonight without the new walls just looking out of place. So trying to spread some of the main sets peices around, so it feels the same all around. But without rebuilding everything. I'm keeping at least the main gate untouched. Some other parts just adjusted a bit. Other parts totally new. Anyway, once I finish some of it, I will be sure to show you guys some progress pics.

Doesnt he slide around all over the place? Or did you use !gasp! glue! Or double !gasp! Double sided tape!??

I am commuting to work on I205 and not driving on a racetrack ><

He does occasionally slide but most of the time they stay put. I am thinking about using those blue tag but they tends to dry out in the summer heat.

I finished King's Castle the other night. Here are some pictures:

Pretty fun. I think it compares pretty well to old castle sets though it has been a while since I've made one. Both opposite corners were kind of same-y and need a bit more pizzazz I think. The way the catapult was built is cool. I like the look of the little rolling one too. Also my first new horse! Look at it getting up on its hind legs.

The castle set look better than I expected. I love the knight on the horse. I never had any of the castle LEGO set when I was a kid...

ghostmind

I'm liking the look of the new Dragon Knights.

And speaking of castles, here is a short history of the LEGO Castle.

sfmVeeU.jpg

1978 - Castle My cousin had this one, and I was sooo jealous.

KzkOaz7.jpg

1984 - Knight's Castle This was for the Black Falcons.

yObAUM7.jpg

1984 - King's Castle This one was for the Lion Knights. Two castles in one year? Madness!

048WCRu.jpg

1986 - Black Falcons Fortress This one is sort-of a castle. Wasn't sure if I should include it.

hiouheQ.jpg

1988 - Black Monarch's Castle Look at this badass castle! I could see this one being very popular back in the day.

m1MDbu6.jpg

1990 - King's Mountain Fortress The start of the custom baseplates. Also a very atypical design, including a ghost?

G1VBdDT.jpg

1992 - Black Knight's Castle LEGO really liked their "evil" castles in this period.

MD9vhDb.jpg

1995 - Royal Knight's Castle I really like the look of this one.

6vm5WIE.jpg

1997 - Night Lord's Castle Getting experimental now. Digging that TALL tower!

yQIcF4w.jpg

2000 - King Leo's Castle Return of the King! *groan*

1HvbpR9.jpg

2004 - The Castle of Morcia Throwing scorpions at your opponent is a valid tactic!

y2J6AgL.jpg

2005 - Vladek's Dark Fortress I am really liking this look of this one.

MJjdyt7.jpg

2006 - King's Castle A 10,000 series Castle!

ju99ex4.jpg

2007 - King's Castle Siege A Fantasy-Era castle, which is my favorite period.

BJFP1m3.jpg

2009 - Troll's Mountain Fortress Another Fantasy-Era set, with a very unique design.

mOv44JG.jpg

2010 - King's Castle Return to traditional castles in the Kingdoms series.

ZdFLJGO.jpg

2012 - Vampyre Castle A different theme, but still a System castle. My love for this set is known.

NPHd0qx.jpg

2013 - King's Castle A callback to the classic castles of yore.

Groof

I came in to pose a question, but then I see this:
MD9vhDb.jpg

I have this exact set standing on top of my wardrobe, albeit in shambles now, considering it's been left alone up there even when I moved away for longer periods. So many memories, though... Loved building this as a kid!

Anyway, the question I was going to ask was how do you guys generally keep your sets clean? I've been merely vacuuming them at a very low strength, making sure to be careful not to accidentally suck something in, but I'm paranoid that'll happen someday. Any advice?

ghostmind

I came in to pose a question, but then I see this:

I have this exact set standing on top of my wardrobe, albeit in shambles now, considering it's been left alone up there even when I moved away for longer periods. So many memories, though... Loved building this as a kid!

Anyway, the question I was going to ask was how do you guys generally keep your sets clean? I've been merely vacuuming them at a very low strength, making sure to be careful not to accidentally suck something in, but I'm paranoid that'll happen someday. Any advice?

I use cans of compressed air - the same as what is used for computers/electronics.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Haven't made it to the LEGO store yet. Going Monday now.

TripOpt55

G1VBdDT.jpg

1992 - Black Knight's Castle LEGO really liked their "evil" castles in this period.

MD9vhDb.jpg

6vm5WIE.jpg

1997 - Night Lord's Castle Getting experimental now. Digging that TALL tower!

1HvbpR9.jpg

2004 - The Castle of Morcia Throwing scorpions at your opponent is a valid tactic!

y2J6AgL.jpg

2005 - Vladek's Dark Fortress I am really liking this look of this one.

NPHd0qx.jpg

2013 - King's Castle A callback to the classic castles of yore.

I believe I had all of these. I just took down Morcia which I rebuilt earlier this year since I got the new castle. Morcia felt a little disjointed. Like it has these parts you build and then set in the baseplate, but doesn't feel like one big castle like a lot of these others. Vladek's I have up now and it is pretty cool. Nice color scheme. I wonder if they will do a big Dragon Knight Castle next year? I hope so. Those two sets have these really wild knights with green and red and blue and purple armor. Kind of unique.

I still have the black dragon and witch and some other unique parts from those older castles. I will take some pictures. Unfortunately all those pieces went into one big tub when I was younger, so not easy to rebuild... unless I ever divide up all my pieces again!

I really wish I didn't miss out on the Fantasy era sets from five years ago or so. After college, I sort of fell out of the hobby for a bit. When I came back they were all super expensive :( They look really cool.

Dragoshi1

Is the Dragon Mountain Castle set out? Anyone have it with pics?

I'm heading to Legoland Florida again in two weeks, and with my 10% discount I planned on buying that set. I needs me that dragon.

ghostmind

31010 Treehouse; Creator 2013; 356pcs

The new Treehouse is part of the summer 2013 wave of Creator sets, and, for the first time is tied into another set (31012 Family Home). As with all Creator sets, there are three builds that have instructions included for the kit. I'm going to go through all three of them, and provide my thoughts on each.

The Quick Build

qOmW6OV.jpg

tG1xbse.jpg

This build, which is a barn-like structure, only uses half the available pieces. It does feature the winch, and gives you a larger wagon, but you lose a lot of land mass with this build. Easily my least-favorite of the three.

The Medium Build

bzvabiZ.jpg

o2sCl3o.jpg

dJunTL7.jpg

II1PsX7.jpg

The Medium Build is a small cabin, with an attached dock and a small tree. It uses about 2/3rds of the available pieces and includes all of the base plates. The roof can easily come off the cabin, revealing a kitchen area, including a stove that is being used to prepare pizza (which solves the mystery of the where the pizza came from in the Treehouse build). I really liked this structure, and would have been satisfied with it as the main build (if it were a $20 set).

The Advanced Build

UcKbzDj.jpg

ZbbuK2i.jpg

3qVf08p.jpg

The Treehouse is the main attraction, a point that will be very obvious when you start building it. Almost all the pieces are used in this build. Some cool techniques in constructing the tree, and a great-looking finished set with lots of play features make this a winner. In addition to the treehouse itself, you also get a small wagon and a great-looking brick-built dog. Recommended.

ghostmind

Q99mkyJ.png

Rrrr... why man put metal ring in Hulk's head? Does man not know Hulk is strongest one there is? Hulk just want to be left alone. Rrrr...

Q99mkyJ.png

Rrrr... why man put metal ring in Hulk's head? Does man not know Hulk is strongest one there is? Hulk just want to be left alone. Rrrr...

I know what my new keychain will be now.

And when will that figure get into a regular set? I need another Hulk. The hair and hands are really loose on mine from all the changing out. It is obvious my Hulk figure has gotten a lot of love over this past year.

EDIT: And why did they use the worst facial expression from the figure? The other face is the best one.

robjoh

yObAUM7.jpg

1984 - King's Castle This one was for the Lion Knights. Two castles in one year? Madness!

My brother had this castle and I had these below.

048WCRu.jpg

1986 - Black Falcons Fortress This one is sort-of a castle. Wasn't sure if I should include it.

G1VBdDT.jpg

Why was you not sure why you would ad the Black Falcons Fortress? It was always my castle :)

I would love to see a return of Wolfpack honestly... I still think they had the coolest logo and clothing, even if their hoods were odd... plus they were all scruffy and missing eyes ^_^

Yeah the wolfpack is my favorite, I have all their sets. Or used to have all my castle sets is at my brothers place so my niece and nephew has something to play with :)

31010 Treehouse; Creator 2013; 356pcs

The new Treehouse is part of the summer 2013 wave of Creator sets, and, for the first time is tied into another set (31012 Family Home). As with all Creator sets, there are three builds that have instructions included for the kit. I'm going to go through all three of them, and provide my thoughts on each.

Thanks for the review. The treehouse looks like something I have to buy.

Finally read all of the Dolphin Cruiser and Galactic Titan review. Cruiser seems to live up to my excitement for it, and the Titan shows that they saved the best for last with Galaxy Squad.

Ironmask

i love both the galactic titan (for me) and the dolphin cruiser (for me... ehm my daughter) hopefully they will be some affordable christmas gifts

I really want to do a MOC (that acronym sucks!) of Spaceman Spiff from Calvin and Hobbes...what would be the best circular pieces for the spaceship?

R-User!

In the parking lot waiting for the mall to open now. Let me know what you want from the wall.

Lol but I dont know what your wall has!! :) I'll edit this post or tell you what I'm looking for in a bit. Do you remember what page my list ht I made was on? Remember?

Edit: which store was yours? McLean? Or Woodbridge?

My List from that post before...

White L-shaped 1x2 "Panel" (3/4 handfull)
White 1x1plate with modified clip light (little circular tube jutting out from one side of the plate) (large pinch)
And Black of the same piece as above (large pinch)
Trans-Clear 1x1 Plate/Stud Round (large pinch)
Dark Bluish grey 1x4 tile with Knob dials and Train Throttle Pattern (small pinch)
Red 3x3 Flowers (Sprue of 4) (medium pinch)
Green 1x1x2 plant stem (20 pieces)
Red 2x3x2 container cupboard (10-20)
Tan 1x2 slope (45degrees) (handfull)
Trans-Clear 1x2 plate (handfull)
White 1x2 brick (handfull)

I'm going to look at this link because it was updated last week and see what new potential elements are in your wall.

McLean's Wall
http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/side/off/29/

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Lol but I dont know what your wall has!! :) I'll edit this post or tell you what I'm looking for in a bit. Do you remember what page my list ht I made was on? Remember?

My List from that post before...

I'm going to look at this link because it was updated last week and see what new potential elements are in your wall.

McLean's Wall
http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/side/off/29/

It's the McLean wall. It's out of date. I'll try and check your list and grab what I can.

Calm Killer

My List from that post before...t

White L-shaped 1x2 "Panel" (3/4 handfull)
Got em

White 1x1plate with modified clip light (little circular tube jutting out from one side of the plate) (large pinch)
None here

And Black of the same piece as above (large pinch)
None here

Trans-Clear 1x1 Plate/Stud Round (large pinch)
They have round not square. Want those?

Dark Bluish grey 1x4 tile with Knob dials and Train Throttle Pattern (small pinch)
None

Red 3x3 Flowers (Sprue of 4) (medium pinch)
None

Green 1x1x2 plant stem (20 pieces)
None

Red 2x3x2 container cupboard (10-20)
None

Tan 1x2 slope (45degrees) (handfull)
Got em

Trans-Clear 1x2 plate (handfull)
Got em

White 1x2 brick (handfull)
None

R-User!

It's the McLean wall. It's out of date. I'll try and check your list and grab what I can.

By out of date do you mean that from a week ago there are already discrepancies? Anyway, if by still have those White 1x2 on top x x 2x2 in the side. Looks like an upside down "L" and is used for sideways building. A handful of those would be one of the more important pieces... It's located at Column 18, Row 5 (Top right region of your wall...)

Top Bottom