• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ponn

Banned
So I know i'm going to get laughed at for this but after saying I was going to drop Lego for awhile this happened.

NLoALIx.jpg

No idea why or how it happened, I just suddenly wanted to build the Malibu Mansion and the armory underneath. This is my first official MOC and I just kind of jumped right in. I tore down the other Iron Man sets after building them and i'm also using a tore down Weathertop, Mothership and various Monster Fighter vehicles. I started with Malibu Mansion intact but has since broke up.

The outer circular base the Stark podium is static but the inner part twirls.

I'm taking a break on it right now but any suggestions would be welcome. I don't have enough free parts to make the outside look clean and if I do display it when i'm through it will be on shelf with the back there facing the wall anyways. I was going to try and make it sort of modular with the Malibu Mansion just connecting to the top but that just wasn't working with how angular it was. So I decided to take the Mansion sort of apart and build it into the second level. Since I used my alien Motherships twirly-gig for the armory I left the one in the mansion for a..um..sort of kinky idea I had for Starks Bedroom portion. I'm going to build a sofa and maybe a table if there is room over near the kitchen part. I'm honestly thinking to make it look nice all around and do everything I want to do I may have to get another Malibu Mansion.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
That is a godly haul.

Thanks. It'll go in my pile/backlog. Basically anything I buy now goes there since I have no more room to display. But I at least have them to build in the future now.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Yeah, they might have just forgotten. Go back and let them know and they will probably give you one since it needs to technically be scanned which will put the item on the receipt. I'm fairly certain they won't accuse you of lying. :p

I won't be back at the store for months. It's in Washington, D.C. and I live in West Virginia. Guess I can't call support huh?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I am a little disappointed on which mini figures are available in certain sets.

My irritation comes from trying to get the complete Avengers team for my five year old son. While spending the least amount of money possible and avoiding duplicate figures.
From my knowledge Black Widow is only available in one set. The largest one with the Quinjet. The set has Loki, Ironman and Thor as well. So if I chose that set and then the set with the Hulk I would have doubles of both Thor and Loki. Captain America has his own set so that is fine.
But so far I have bought Hulk's set, the Captain America set and one with Ironman. So the only character I am missing is Black Widow and I would need to drop $80 to get a set with her.
That just sucks.

Question: those minifig key chains - are those real minifigs? Do the arms, hands and legs move? Head turns? Cause some of those are pretty sweet. Pretty easy to just take the chain off the head and have some new figures yes?

Ponn

Banned
I am a little disappointed on which mini figures are available in certain sets.

My irritation comes from trying to get the complete Avengers team for my five year old son. While spending the least amount of money possible and avoiding duplicate figures.
From my knowledge Black Widow is only available in one set. The largest one with the Quinjet. The set has Loki, Ironman and Thor as well. So if I chose that set and then the set with the Hulk I would have doubles of both Thor and Loki. Captain America has his own set so that is fine.
But so far I have bought Hulk's set, the Captain America set and one with Ironman. So the only character I am missing is Black Widow and I would need to drop $80 to get a set with her.
That just sucks.

Question: those minifig key chains - are those real minifigs? Do the arms, hands and legs move? Head turns? Cause some of those are pretty sweet. Pretty easy to just take the chain off the head and have some new figures yes?

Are you in U.S.? If so Amazon frequently has Quinjet for $55 - $60. Now that i have Tonys pad im working on im now eyeing the Quinjet myself. I really dont want bulky hulk so will probably get one of those keychains, the Cap'n set and buy a loose Hawkeye.

mrkgoo

Are you in U.S.? If so Amazon frequently has Quinjet for $55 - $60. Now that i have Tonys pad im working on im now eyeing the Quinjet myself. I really dont want bulky hulk so will probably get one of those keychains, the Cap'n set and buy a loose Hawkeye.

I repeatedly get sad when I see retail and special prices of lego overseas in US. The quintet retails for nz$160, which is US$130. Yeah it's including tax, but still...

Checking out the Super Heroes figures reminds me of those exclusive Comic Con ones and DARN do they cost a pretty penny, I want a Jean Grey one but not for that much...=/

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm in Canada so the Quinjet is $89.99.
And like I said its for my five year old and I'm still training him to not use his teeth to take stuff apart when they get stuck.
For instance he opened Hulk's Breakout set and Hawkeye's head was stuck, habit took over and he used his teeth and one side of his sunglasses has a tooth dent in it now.
So I look to save money just cause my kids are still in Lego training. And although I do like to gather and collect toys I think they should be played with.
That also means that dropping $17 for a single Black Widow figure is absurd for my situation.

People don't like that big Hulk? That guy is incredible!!! My kids love him. I was very excited to see Lego find a way to give some characters the size difference that they should have. Cave Troll, Goblin King.

Kids might have to do without Black Widow.

I'm also staying away from all of the Ironman 3 sets except the Malibu Mansion. I want a set with Iron Patriot not random War Machine. Almost seems like Lego didn't have a clue about what the movie was gonna be like.

Ainaurdur

Just began Book 2 of Helm's Deep.

Love the Uruk Scimitar.

The surprise underneath the causeway... unexpected, but quite believable.

edit: Then I started listening to the Two Towers OST. Adding so much emotion to the build! Quotes from the movie keep flying through my head too. So good.

What is this Iron Patriot promo you speak of?

IronPatriot.jpg

As fredrancour said, it's tied to a video game release at selected retailers in the US.

The last time this happened (Elrond minifig) Toys R Us Canada ended up getting a bunch of them and giving them out for free. I love the look of the Iron Patriot fig though, and don't want to miss out.

IronPatriot.jpg

As fredrancour said, it's tied to a video game release at selected retailers in the US.

The last time this happened (Elrond minifig) Toys R Us Canada ended up getting a bunch of them and giving them out for free. I love the look of the Iron Patriot fig though, and don't want to miss out.
I pre-ordered LEGO Lord of the Rings through EB Games so that I could get the Elrond minifig, but they "claim" that they never came in. Uhh huh. So I was pissed that I never got it. But then when LEGO City Undercover came out, I popped over to TRU on release day and they were giving out free Chase McCain minifigs for their promotion. I already had this minifig from the small set that has a code for unlocking extra content in the game, so I asked the lady if they still had any Elronds left. She confirmed that they did and I asked if I could grab an Elrond instead of the Chase McCain. She recognized me as a somewhat frequent customer who's always looking in her section for Skylanders and decided to throw in BOTH minifigs! Needless to say, if TRU has the Iron Patriot promotion for the next LEGO game, then I'm pre-ordering through them without hesitation.

Matt

Short version: everyone go to Target and buy Galaxy Squad sets.

Alright, I have seemingly become a Lego addict as of about 3 weeks ago (before that, the last time I built one was when I was around ten years old). So far, I have bought and completed:

-Palace Cinema
-Apple Tree House
-Blue Roadster
-Helm's Deep
-Uriaki Army
-Gandalf's Arrival
-Quinjet
-A-Wing

And now I'm not feeling that drawn to many other sets (save for the other ones like Palace Cinema). Tell me, what's so great about Galaxy Squad?

Alright, I have seemingly become a Lego addict as of about 3 weeks ago (before that, the last time I built one was when I was around ten years old). So far, I have bought and completed:

-Palace Cinema
-Apple Tree House
-Blue Roadster
-Helm's Deep
-Uriaki Army
-Gandalf's Arrival
-Quinjet
-A-Wing

And now I'm not feeling that drawn to many other sets (save for the other ones like Palace Cinema). Tell me, what's so great about Galaxy Squad?

Based on your current purchases, I think Haunted House and Arkham Asylum are in your future. Best you don't get convinced to try another theme (reverse psychology).

-Palace Cinema
-Apple Tree House
-Blue Roadster
-Helm's Deep
-Uriaki Army
-Gandalf's Arrival
-Quinjet
-A-Wing

Based on your current purchases, I think Haunted House and Arkham Asylum are in your future. Best you don't get convinced to try another theme (reverse psychology).

Haunted House is a must buy. Truly a god tier set. And Orthanc shall be mine!

But as for what is great about Galaxy Squad? Allow me to let Russell Hammond of Stillwater to sum it up:
tumblr_lu94pm6EeA1qmr448o1_r1_500.jpg

"To begin with...everything."

Great builds, neat mini figures, and lots of character. The true spiritual successor from the glory days of Space System, but with modern pieces and techniques.
The bugs give you neat, organic builds that look menacing while done, but also lots of playability.
The Galaxy Squad sets give you firepower, but also the sweet transforming functions of nearly all the sets.

I may be a bit biased towards them since I was a nut for the Space System as a kid, but the Galaxy Squad theme is hitting every single button this year for me.

EDIT: Just got the email from LEGO that new Galaxy Squad is available online. But what is missing? GALACTIC TITAN! Why must they tease me so!? I NEED THAT SET SO BAD!

Got the Hulk one yesterday. The arms & legs move, but the head doesn't turn. Still trying to remove the chain :)

R-User!

Nice haul. You just need the speedboat set and maybe the bricks to build the Hall of Armor.

Is there an easy way to remove the chain?

Pliers and a slow and steady "twist left and right while exerting a vertical pull with no bending otherwise you may snap off the pin at the head.

tl;dr slow and steady with pliers.

Nice haul. You just need the speedboat set and maybe the bricks to build the Hall of Armor.

Is there an easy way to remove the chain?

Heating the metal seems to be the most common way. Solder iron is most common, but I've read someone using an open flame from a candle to heat the chain and pull with pliers.

I've done the solder iron method which works, but you have to be careful if won't be replacing the hat/hair pair as you can melt and deform the area by the hole if you put too much force sideways or touch it with the iron.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12145

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmUb5QI_jwI

Szu

Cross-post from the Pics of Yourself thread.

I went to the LEGO Star Wars Event at Times Square on Friday.

The HUGE X-Wing Fighter.
U1UCkdC.jpg

QgvmINU.jpg

T10yAcn.jpg

VqLozVe.jpg

o0wEk8g.jpg

3aPyslF.jpg

N3gV0O0.jpg

CegcBGk.jpg

You're gonna hate me...

So I bought twelve random minifigs off S@H. They arrived today. I wasn't that lucky with the allocation... I have no use for the 1800's soldiers or the baseball players, but the extra old man will be useful and I can probably find a use for extra red cloaks.

ymW6zzI.jpg

And then for one of them I noticed something strange. A straight rod? No figure in this series has that... unless...

JXnZgON.jpg

So, a ridiculously rare figure I don't need. He's going away, the question is where to.

He sells for $600+ on Ebay, but I'm very wary of scammers. Mine obviously hasn't been opened or the code registered. So, is there any serious collector here who wants a shot at him for less than that?

I'm not giving him away, but a trade of a reasonable value would be interesting. The upcoming LotR sets, modulars or possibly some other cool collectible are what I'm looking for. If you're in Europe, shipping is probably easier (for you, this will be rather cheap, except of course insurance).

That last shot is hilarious.

You're gonna hate me...

JXnZgON.jpg

So, a ridiculously rare figure I don't need. He's going away, the question is where to.

He sells for $600+ on Ebay, but I'm very wary of scammers. Mine obviously hasn't been opened or the code registered. So, is there any serious collector here who wants a shot at him for less than that?

I'm not giving him away, but a trade of a reasonable value would be interesting. The upcoming LotR sets, modulars or possibly some other cool collectible are what I'm looking for. If you're in Europe, shipping is probably easier (for you, this will be rather cheap, except of course insurance).

AWESOME!!! So glad someone in the thread got one!! Congrats.

How might you get scammed on eBay? I've sold tons of things, including some pretty expensive records and haven't been scammed.

ghostmind

You're gonna hate me...

So I bought twelve random minifigs off S@H. They arrived today. I wasn't that lucky with the allocation... I have no use for the 1800's soldiers or the baseball players, but the extra old man will be useful and I can probably find a use for extra red cloaks.

ymW6zzI.jpg

And then for one of them I noticed something strange. A straight rod? No figure in this series has that... unless...

JXnZgON.jpg

I'm just stoked that someone from LEGO-GAF managed to get Mr. Gold. Bravo!

That last shot is hilarious.

AWESOME!!! So glad someone in the thread got one!! Congrats.

How might you get scammed on eBay? I've sold tons of things, including some pretty expensive records and haven't been scammed.

They might claim the item never arrived or was faulty, or otherwise reclaim the payment. As a seller, you basically have no rights. It's a high profile item, so there's a risk...

You're gonna hate me...

Awesome! I'm glad one of us got him.

You're gonna hate me...

ymW6zzI.jpg

JXnZgON.jpg

Congrats! No hate. The more people that find them randomly the better. Gives hope anyone can get lucky finding one without searching every store in the city on delivery day.

Thanks for checking with the fellow GAFfers on the offer for Mr Gold for a much more reasonable price than $600+.

CegcBGk.jpg

Caption time!

"You want to give me your LEGO collection."

"Feel the Bag, Luke. Mr. Gold find you must."

"I find your lack of addiction disturbing."

"You want the UCS R2-D2."

R-User!

You're gonna hate me...

ymW6zzI.jpg

JXnZgON.jpg

Wow, Congrats! You became a Sun God! But seriously I'm happy you got Mr. Gold! I'm sure you'll get a great set or good score for his value! :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're gonna hate me...

ymW6zzI.jpg

JXnZgON.jpg

Only upcoming LotR? I have a couple of Helms deep sets in my loft and I don't need both so you're welcome to one. In UK.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Posted the first picture ages ago but think I made some solid progress today! I started on an interior but it's not going to work as well as I hoped so I think i'm going to skip it unfortunately. Might actually be finished in the next two months! :p

ghostmind

10234 Sydney Opera House $279.99
10236 Star Wars Ewok Village $249.99

Sydney Opera House is going to be HUGE!

Ewok Village I am expecting around 2,500 to 3,000 pcs. So no where near the Death Star in piece count.

Ainaurdur

Ewok Village I am expecting around 2,500 to 3,000 pcs. So no where near the Death Star in piece count.

I hope Ewok Village is disappointing. Only so that I won't want it. Too many other sets I want this year!

Ironmask

You're gonna hate me...

ymW6zzI.jpg

JXnZgON.jpg

omg, you lucky man :) pming you

R-User!

Nice to get an update on that Opera House! Can't wait to see it! Thank's ghostmind!

Edit:

Five Thousand Plus Pieces?! I simply WILL buy it!

/Hotel owner in Ghostbusters

Calm Killer

I emailed support to see if I could get my Ironman minifig. If they tell me no, that is fine. But I figured it was worth a try.

Calm Killer

You're gonna hate me...

ymW6zzI.jpg

JXnZgON.jpg

Congrats! I bought 16 from S@H hoping this would happen, but I didn't luck out. Glad someone got it.

Top Bottom