• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I can come up with the ideas. I just lack the talent and resources to make them reality.

Edit: on a different note. I have a question for Ghostmind. What order would you place these sets in: Hive Crawler, Bug Obliterator, Silver Mine Shootout ?
I know we both loved all three, but I am curious how you would rank just those three.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really need to trim my displayed sets down, but my storage is almost at capacity now. I reckon the displayed sets would easily double my pieces so it wouldn't just be a small expansion.

Wondering whether to break down UCS and modulars back to their boxes in the loft.

ghostmind

I can come up with the ideas. I just lack the talent and resources to make them reality.

Edit: on a different note. I have a question for Ghostmind. What order would you place these sets in: Hive Crawler, Bug Obliterator, Silver Mine Shootout ?
I know we both loved all three, but I am curious how you would rank just those three.

This question hurts my brain.

At the moment, I would say:

1. Hive Crawler
2. Bug Obliterater
3. Silver Mine Shootout

The brilliance of the Hive Crawler design has shot it to the top of my favorites for this year.

All three are stellar sets though, and are highly recommended.

Chuckie

Celebrated what was probably my best birthday ever this past Saturday.

My wife and kid surprised me with these:

WhUYHDH.jpg

AND I treated myself to something extra special...

I sold 1 G.I. Joe piece to pay for 3,803 pieces!

3BeWelX.jpg

Need to finish the wings on the Shuttle before I can crack open dat BIG BOX!

Sweet! Happy birthday btw.

I noticed you had the Iron Man lab. Did you order the extra pieces or did you have shitloads of LEGO pieces and made it with your collection?
These ironman sets are just being released in Holland and I haven't had the chance to buy them yet so I have no idea what is already in the sets, and what I will have to order from Bricklink.

This question hurts my brain.

At the moment, I would say:

1. Hive Crawler
2. Bug Obliterater
3. Silver Mine Shootout

The brilliance of the Hive Crawler design has shot it to the top of my favorites for this year.

All three are stellar sets though, and are highly recommended.

Think that is how I would rank them as well. I think Silver Mine Shootout wont be as fun on a rebuild though. But once done it is damn fun.
I do need to rebuild Hive Crawler though to see if it still kicks my ass as much as it did the first time. It won't have the element of surprise this time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not sure if anyone here from the UK is familiar with Flubit, but I submitted a link to them for the Lego X-wing (9493) and they managed to get me a 13% discount on it, only £26.38. Very tempted to bite, especially as it's payday tomorrow...

Anyway, might be worth using Flubit to try and get some deals on older sets if you're in the UK and not after VIP points or other assorted extras that come with buying from the stores.

You're gonna hate me...

So I bought twelve random minifigs off S@H. They arrived today. I wasn't that lucky with the allocation... I have no use for the 1800's soldiers or the baseball players, but the extra old man will be useful and I can probably find a use for extra red cloaks.

ymW6zzI.jpg

And then for one of them I noticed something strange. A straight rod? No figure in this series has that... unless...

JXnZgON.jpg

So, a ridiculously rare figure I don't need. He's going away, the question is where to.

He sells for $600+ on Ebay, but I'm very wary of scammers. Mine obviously hasn't been opened or the code registered. So, is there any serious collector here who wants a shot at him for less than that?

I'm not giving him away, but a trade of a reasonable value would be interesting. The upcoming LotR sets, modulars or possibly some other cool collectible are what I'm looking for. If you're in Europe, shipping is probably easier (for you, this will be rather cheap, except of course insurance).

Congrats on the Mr. Gold! I've felt every bag in 5 brand new cases looking for him and you get him through S@H. XD
;_;

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am just curious how they are going to pull off the curves of the Sydney Opera House and make it look good. But in Jamie I trust...

Has it been confirmed that Jamie is designing it?

Cruzito

Neo Member
I need to ask, what'd you sell to get the Best Star? I was thinking about big sets and the HQ doesn't appear to go for much. Did you sell an original Zarana mold or something?

It was actually a Sideshow Collectibles 12" G.I. Joe (Cobra) - Firefly.
Was shocked at the value of worth and after it sold, I was initially sad to see it go, but Death Star quickly made me forget! Fire...who? :)

Cruzito

Neo Member
Sweet! Happy birthday btw.

I noticed you had the Iron Man lab. Did you order the extra pieces or did you have shitloads of LEGO pieces and made it with your collection?
These ironman sets are just being released in Holland and I haven't had the chance to buy them yet so I have no idea what is already in the sets, and what I will have to order from Bricklink.

Thanks for the bday wishes! :)

I actually used Bricklink for all of the pieces (including additional sets of stickers). I didn't want to break apart my existing sets.
It was my first experience with bricklink. It was a positive experience but I probably paid more than I should have. It was a total of 5 different orders from different sellers.
But once built, it really is gorgeous!

Chuckie

Thanks for the bday wishes! :)

I actually used Bricklink for all of the pieces (including additional sets of stickers). I didn't want to break apart my existing sets.
It was my first experience with bricklink. It was a positive experience but I probably paid more than I should have. It was a total of 5 different orders from different sellers.
But once built, it really is gorgeous!

If I may ask, what did it cost? And what stickers did you buy? You didn't use the ones in the malibu set?

oneHeero

A Lego store just opened up in San Antonio this past week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOMGOMGOMGMOGMOGMMGOGMOGM

I bought the Batman vs Bane tumbler set, the great thing was they let me use my 15$ gift certificate that was attached to my VIP account that I didnt have on me (used my email) on top of the $25 GC I already had. So I paid NOTHING! Well I bought 3 minigures so I paid 12bucks and some change lol.

So good.

Ponn

Banned
10235 Winter Village Market $89.99

No piece count yet, but expect around 1,300 pcs.

Mmmmmm...Bakery not returning right? Could be interesting but would like to see a Toy Shop re_release or Santa workshop. Also including that big tree for the town square.

Mmmmmm...Bakery not returning right? Could be interesting but would like to see a Toy Shop re_release or Santa workshop. Also including that big tree for the town square.

As nice as it would be, they won't do a re-release from this theme.

Toy Shop already has a big tree that sits very well at the center of the little village. It was retired two years ago, a year ago the Bakery was retired and this past Christmas the Post Office went away.

If you're still waiting on last year's Cottage, get it now!

I would love for them to do a quaint Winter Village Church, but I can't see that getting much traction.

ghostmind

Weird question time, since when does LEGO have sets including guns? I was under the presumption they never made sets with modern military equipment, my nephew has some LEGO City police station stuff and I never saw guns.

Lego gun causes panic on school bus; kindergartener gets detention
Classmates in at Old Mill Pond Elementary School in Massachusetts freak out when they a boy, 6, shows them the tiny fake weapon the size of the quarter.

That looks like a custom gun - made by BrickArms or someone similar.

However, the article reads like an Onion piece - I've almost become numb how the country has become a bad parody of itself over the last 15 years.

Weird question time, since when does LEGO have sets including guns? I was under the presumption they never made sets with modern military equipment, my nephew has some LEGO City police station stuff and I never saw guns.

Classmates in at Old Mill Pond Elementary School in Massachusetts freak out when they a boy, 6, shows them the tiny fake weapon the size of the quarter.

Lego has had sets with guns...maybe not that realistic but they have them...but I swear that reads like an Onion article...it's the size of a quarter...a QUARTER.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

.... seriously?

ghostmind

Some perspective on the Ewok Village:

sKI0c1H.jpg

The above set, "The Battle of Endor" was released in 2009. It has 890 pieces and 12 minifigs, at a price of $100.

At 2.5 times the price, and the same pricing structure, the Ewok Village could be around 2,200 pieces. However, higher price sets do not always work in a linear scale for piece-count, so it is possible that the Village could be at a higher count than that.

hym

Banned
Lego has had sets with guns...maybe not that realistic but they have them...but I swear that reads like an Onion article...it's the size of a quarter...a QUARTER.

At first I thought it was satire as well but they seem to be quite serious with the TV report an all. I only knew of scifi 'guns' and classic pirate cannons.

While trying to find the gun in question I did run into this awesome piece:

P2EHYdP.jpg

6RPDg1o.jpg

Some perspective on the Ewok Village:

sKI0c1H.jpg

The above set, "The Battle of Endor" was released in 2009. It has 890 pieces and 12 minifigs, at a price of $100.

At 2.5 times the price, and the same pricing structure, the Ewok Village could be around 2,200 pieces. However, higher price sets do not always work in a linear scale for piece-count, so it is possible that the Village could be at a higher count than that.

Depends on how many small bricks they use. I hope it is more in line price wise with Orthanc or R2D2 than it is the SSD or B-Wing.

I ordered the Galaxy Squad Space Vermin Vaporizer from Amaxon last week abd it cane in just under $50 with my Prime shipping. Cracked it open today and was able to build through both bags one and two during my lunch. Great set so far and I love the classic space theme "space chair" that went into the buggy build of bag one.

Galaxy Squad is such an amazing theme that I feel will be severely under appreciated, just like Alien Conquest.

At first I thought it was satire as well but they seem to be quite serious with the TV report an all. I only knew of scifi 'guns' and classic pirate cannons.

While trying to find the gun in question I did run into this awesome piece:

P2EHYdP.jpg

6RPDg1o.jpg

That's a sweet looking replica of a classic gun...very nicely detailed

I still don't get it, would those kids freak out if he showed them a Lego sword too? I mean, that could at least poke an eye out, are they gonna whine about that too?

Jimbro72

Galaxy Squad is such an amazing theme that I feel will be severely under appreciated, just like Alien Conquest.

It does seem to get quite a bit love here though, sadly, it will have to be a theme that I pass on due to space and fund issues. Gotta draw the line somewhere, plus Star Wars already scratches that space/sci-fi itch for me, I suppose.

On a side note, I'd like to post pics of my collection here before I start the purging and tear down of several of the smaller/older sets before being replaced with new, what is the pic hosting site of choice around here? Is there a preferred one many of you use? Hopefully I'll have time later tonight to post those here.

ghostmind

On a side note, I'd like to post pics of my collection here before I start the purging and tear down of several of the smaller/older sets before being replaced with new, what is the pic hosting site of choice around here? Is there a preferred one many of you use? Hopefully I'll have time later tonight to post those here.

I use imgur for all the pics I post, but if you wanted to link to a whole gallery then Flickr may be more your thing.

Consolation gold minifigure for all those people that don't get Mr. Gold.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Gold-Minifigure-Key-Chain-850807

Hopefully it gets a third wave, red team needs some love.

The red robot is my favorite of the different teams. If they don't have a 3rd wave would be nice to have a battle pack or more polybags. I hope that theme is selling fairly well.

No feels allowed at this store

43mcCZH.jpg

What!?! That's crazy! Seems like a lot of effort for an inexpensive item. Do they only have 10 of them or something in the whole store?

mrkgoo

Consolation gold minifigure for all those people that don't get Mr. Gold.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Gold-Minifigure-Key-Chain-850807

The red robot is my favorite of the different teams. If they don't have a 3rd wave would be nice to have a battle pack or more polybags. I hope that theme is selling fairly well.

What!?! That's crazy! Seems like a lot of effort for an inexpensive item. Do they only have 10 of them or something in the whole store?

Maybe they only have skydivers left!

My local toy store goes the complete opposite and feels them FOR you and labels the bags.

I guess they figure people are going to feel them anyway, and this saves people time and money. I mean, it probably gets MORE people to buy the figures than less, as casuals can now just get what they want instead of being shyed away from the risk.

Maybe they only have skydivers left!

My local toy store goes the complete opposite and feels them FOR you and labels the bags.

I guess they figure people are going to feel them anyway, and this saves people time and money. I mean, it probably gets MORE people to buy the figures than less, as casuals can now just get what they want instead of being shyed away from the risk.

I know from my experience, when my Lego store just felt them out prior and had them separated in boxes behind the counter, I was more apt to spend more since I knew they were the figures I wanted and I didn't have to risk getting burned.

Started building the Death Star last night.

Finished bags (1) and bags (2) of 3 in the first of the four boxes lol.. SO many pieces. And the thing is massive already. Already up to UCS R2's leg joints.

Just having all the minifigs sitting on the table watching the construction is awesome enough. ALL THESE MINIFIGS.

P7RpJqq.jpg

Top Bottom