• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

shadow29

Neo Member
Is this too far from you?:

Super Target
175 W Center St
Orem, UT 84057

They have affordable bookshelves... :)

I've been using the cheap bookshelves that Walmart sells so far, and ouside of the Tower Bridge and the SSD, everything fits. I was just thinking going forward if there was anything else that would be useful to use for display, outside of buying longer/Deeper bookshelves.

Edit: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ameriwood-3-Shelf-and-5-Shelf-Bookcases-Mix-and-Match/22282370 These are the types I have so far, and Ill probably end up picking up another tall one to fit the UCS Xwing and Palace Cinema I picked up on vacation last week.

ghostmind

It looks like Jimbro72 is using IKEA Billy bookcases with great results.

I have been using IKEA Expedit shelving units, but I think I'm going to invest in some Billy bookcases as well, especially for the longer sets.

Do your bookcases have high-gloss white, or just regular white Jimbro?

Jimbro72

Would the color of the Starwars stuff play into it as well. Gray = not showing dust?

Oh, I'm sure you're right in that the gray color hides any dust better than something like black or white pieces. I guess I'm not trying to say this room is 100% dust free, I'm just saying there is less dust there than a heavily trafficked area of the house would have so that after even a couple years, you aren't going to find like a very noticeable layer of dust on stuff. Damn, now I think I'm going to need to take a close up look and check things out when I get home from work.

It looks like Jimbro72 is using IKEA Billy bookcases with great results.

I have been using IKEA Expedit shelving units, but I think I'm going to invest in some Billy bookcases as well, especially for the longer sets.

Do your bookcases have high-gloss white, or just regular white Jimbro?

Not a bad guess but they are not IKEA shelves. All the short ones and I think even all the tall ones are just cheap ones that can be found at Walmart that I picked up 3-4 yrs ago when we bought our house. I think the little ones were like $16 or $19 each, with the big ones like $29 or so. They are cheap but they get the job done just fine since most of the shelves are adjustable, which was key for some of them. Problem is, finding them in white lately is proving to be a real challenge in my local stores, which is why there is that gap where 2 more short ones could be stacked. I just can't find them anymore.

As to the color, I think they are just a regular white, maybe? I don't think they are a super shiny gloss, anyway.

ghostmind

Not a bad guess but they are not IKEA shelves. All the short ones and I think even all the tall ones are just cheap ones that can be found at Walmart that I picked up 3-4 yrs ago when we bought our house. I think the little ones were like $16 or $19 each, with the big ones like $29 or so. They are cheap but they get the job done just fine since most of the shelves are adjustable, which was key for some of them. Problem is, finding them in white lately is proving to be a real challenge in my local stores, which is why there is that gap where 2 more short ones could be stacked. I just can't find them anymore.

As to the color, I think they are just a regular white, maybe? I don't think they are a super shiny gloss, anyway.

Good to know, and cheaper than the IKEA shelves, if I can find them. Thanks!

shadow29

Neo Member
The Walmart ones are cheap and pretty solid. The only gripe I really had with them are that the top shelf is not even with the sides of the casing. So it sits like a quarter of a inch lower, creating a lip at the top. I used a few layers of shelving mats to even it out so I could place the Tower Bridge there without bending the plates. It wouldnt really be a problem though for smaller sets or sets with stands (SSD looks nice on the small ones).

Okay, a mystery. I've got one of these yellow plates:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=700eD&colorID=3&in=A

As far as I can tell, it only ever came with a green plate in that set. Now, I've got a green plate... but it's the mold with double cross supports under it:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=700eD2&colorID=6&in=A

I can't really tell if any of my really old stuff came from the Universal Building Sets, but either there was a mixup with the plates set, or there was once a green one that went missing before I got this Lego. Very weird.

Edit: Aha! Oh how great the internet is. I can tell that this set was one that I owned, since I have the 8x8 baseplate, the doors and windows, the finger figures and exactly four white fence parts.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=333-1

krispyk

All this thread is doing is making me want to start building a giant collection of Star Wars Lego. This is going to cost me dearly I fear.

Whatcha makin'?

Barren space landscape to put all the Galaxy Squad sets onto. Trying to make rock formations for bugs to be crawling over and supports to make it look like a ship is actually flying over the bugs.
The other trick is that I am doing it so I can take the baseplates apart, but when together they look like bigger rock formations.

Dammit. Was waiting for a sale on Haunted House. Amazon had it for $134 but it sold out before I noticed.

Son of a....! Thanks for reminding me to put a watch on that.

Amazon is one of the best places to get LEGO, but you have to move fast and keep an eye out for those amazing deals like that.

ghostmind

Barren space landscape to put all the Galaxy Squad sets onto. Trying to make rock formations for bugs to be crawling over and supports to make it look like a ship is actually flying over the bugs.
The other trick is that I am doing it so I can take the baseplates apart, but when together they look like bigger rock formations.

I was thinking about getting a load of trans-clear bricks to use as supports for the flying GS vehicles. None on my local PAB wall as of last week, but I could order them from LEGO (though that takes a while).

I was thinking about getting a load of trans-clear bricks to use as supports for the flying GS vehicles. None on my local PAB wall as of last week, but I could order them from LEGO (though that takes a while).

I have tons of trans clear 1x2 bricks, but was actually looking at using technic beams to have the ships supported. At least from certain angles it will be invisible.

And uhhhh...must resist urge to buy Arkham now. MUST RESIST!

EDIT:I was going to put Bug Obliterator at one of two angles. These are just the rough ideas of how I would attach it.

Flying at a downward angle. The cockpit would cover this up easily.

OR

Move the technic piece to have it look like the ship is banking.

Just build in areas to attach the technic beams to the rock formations and keep it stable.

Right, I've put Mr Gold on Ebay. I'm hoping that this works out.

A bit annoyed that Ebay/Paypal might be holding my payment for a long time. I've sold some expensive items on Ebay before, but it has been quite a while, so I'm not sure if I qualify as a trusted seller.

Since he's so light, I'll make sure to send him with all kinds of insurance and tracking.

neonglow

Right, I've put Mr Gold on Ebay. I'm hoping that this works out.

A bit annoyed that Ebay/Paypal might be holding my payment for a long time. I've sold some expensive items on Ebay before, but it has been quite a while, so I'm not sure if I qualify as a trusted seller.

Since he's so light, I'll make sure to send him with all kinds of insurance and tracking.

Make sure you do signed delivery confirmation. For extra precaution, take a video of you packing the box and slapping on the label.

ghostmind

I have tons of trans clear 1x2 bricks, but was actually looking at using technic beams to have the ships supported. At least from certain angles it will be invisible.

And uhhhh...must resist urge to buy Arkham now. MUST RESIST!

I just ordered 100 of the trans-clear 2by2 round bricks off of Bricklink. That should take care of my needs.

What are you using for the rock? Any BURPS?

I just ordered 100 of the trans-clear 2by2 round bricks off of Bricklink. That should take care of my needs.

What are you using for the rock? Any BURPS?

No BURP here. Only BURP I own is in Silver Mine. Just lots of gray, tan, and dark grey bricks and slopes. Some SNOT work along the sides for more ruggedness. The interiors are just lots of 2x4 bricks of varying colors to keep it heavy and stable. You never see them.

Also SNOT on the sides of rocks to attach bugs so it looks like they are crawling around.

ghostmind

No BURP here. Only BURP I own is in Silver Mine. Just lots of gray, tan, and dark grey bricks and slopes. Some SNOT work along the sides for more ruggedness. The interiors are just lots of 2x4 bricks of varying colors to keep it heavy and stable. You never see them.

Also SNOT on the sides of rocks to attach bugs so it looks like they are crawling around.

Looking forward to seeing it, once the Titan arrives.

Amazon actually has a sale on the Arkham Asylum! It's only $120. I think this is the lowest it's ever been.

Arkham Asylum

Sale is over. I already have it and was soooo tempted to get another one so I could expand my existing Arkham. The minifigs alone sell for $70+ on Bricklink so that would have subsidized a 2nd Arkham a LOT. The temptation is now gone. Phew.

Sale is over. I already have it and was soooo tempted to get another one so I could expand my existing Arkham. The minifigs alone sell for $70+ on Bricklink so that would have subsidized a 2nd Arkham a LOT. The temptation is now gone. Phew.

Jesus. That was fast. Well, that makes it easier for me to not order it.

Looking forward to seeing it, once the Titan arrives.

Gonna set it up without the Titan. Also looking to add things to make the bug cocoons hang upside down from some rocks.

neonglow

Here's another temptation. The Horizon Express is only $101. Not as good as Arkham, but still 22% off for an Jamie set. I ended up buying one but considering getting a second. Has anyone gotten 2 to put together yet?

Horizon Express

Edit: Amazon is actually going crazy with deals right now. Town Hall is $151 now. It's now in the same price range of other modulars.

Town Hall

Edit: Amazon is actually going crazy with deals right now. Town Hall is $151 now. It's now in the same price range of other modulars.

Town Hall

Deal 11% now. Was 24% earlier.

They must be doing rolling discounts. I saw the town hall deal, but then it was gone after I IM'd some friends. Gonna keep an eye out on the other modulars I don't have for any 20+% deals.

neonglow

Got the new catalog in, I really want the Tree House and the Family Home...which one do I go for first?

Did it come with a 10% off coupon? If so, use it on the bigger set. Otherwise just get the Tree House. If you decide to get the Family House, I'd wait until June 1st. Lego will be giving away the exclusive Jor-el figure if you spend $75 or more.

I got the coupon but I already plan to give it to someone since I don't use it. Looks like I'll wait until June then for the Family House then!

Put a marathon build session into the Death Star last night. Onto the 6 bags now (so the superlaser is next!). Finished building the hallway last night with the jail area and trapdoor to the trash compactor. Loved this bit.

Marko723

Neo Member
Congrats!!

You made Pick of the Week on the GlenBricker's site.

http://blog.brick-hero.com/

I was approved!

fcsGoGJ.jpg

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/40731

Jimbro72

I missed out on a lot of this stuff today, too, since it seemed to hit about the time I was driving home from work. But I'm on the verge of placing a monster order with a relative tomorrow, so that should make up for it.

I missed out on a lot of this stuff today, too, since it seemed to hit about the time I was driving home from work. But I'm on the verge of placing a monster order with a relative tomorrow, so that should make up for it.

I am terrified at what you would consider a monster order...

Congrats!!

You made Pick of the Week on the GlenBricker's site.

http://blog.brick-hero.com/

Oh nice, some advertising. Thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to seeing it. There's something about brick built rocks that are very aesthetically pleasing to me.

Put a marathon build session into the Death Star last night. Onto the 6 bags now (so the superlaser is next!). Finished building the hallway last night with the jail area and trapdoor to the trash compactor. Loved this bit.

I love how the trapdoor in the cell block actually drops the figures into the trash compactor.

Wait until the Emperor's throne room. That is a really cool lil bit when you get to it. Just too much awesome contained in that set.

I love how the trapdoor in the cell block actually drops the figures into the trash compactor.

Wait until the Emperor's throne room. That is a really cool lil bit when you get to it. Just too much awesome contained in that set.

You know I tried it. They fell. The walls began closing in. Chewey held the bar. It was magnificent.

You know I tried it. They fell. The walls began closing in. Chewey held the bar. It was magnificent.

I currently have my trash compactor filled with terrified Snow Troopers. :)

EDIT: Crappy preview of one of the baseplate of my Galaxy Squad battleground. The plate that will be next to this one will have the biggest rock formation. Like, most of the plate.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Deal 11% now. Was 24% earlier.

They must be doing rolling discounts. I saw the town hall deal, but then it was gone after I IM'd some friends. Gonna keep an eye out on the other modulars I don't have for any 20+% deals.

Damn it. I was gonna bite on that. 11% is not enough for me though. Bummer.

Thank god, because you have not been pulling your weight lately.

Top Bottom