• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Started building the Death Star last night.

Finished bags (1) and bags (2) of 3 in the first of the four boxes lol.. SO many pieces. And the thing is massive already. Already up to UCS R2's leg joints.

Just having all the minifigs sitting on the table watching the construction is awesome enough. ALL THESE MINIFIGS.

P7RpJqq.jpg

Oh, you poor, poor boy. You aren't even to the biggest part of the set. Nor the coolest.

The next tier has two of my favorite parts. The trash compactor and the chasm for Luke and Leia to swing across. The tier above that has the prison block and the super laser. :)

One part of me just wants to leave work and put in a marathon build session haha. The other part of me wants to string the build out and enjoy it slowly.

Some perspective on the Ewok Village:

sKI0c1H.jpg

The above set, "The Battle of Endor" was released in 2009. It has 890 pieces and 12 minifigs, at a price of $100.

At 2.5 times the price, and the same pricing structure, the Ewok Village could be around 2,200 pieces. However, higher price sets do not always work in a linear scale for piece-count, so it is possible that the Village could be at a higher count than that.

Do you think there could be a big markup due to lots of figs?

One part of me just wants to leave work and put in a marathon build session haha. The other part of me wants to string the build out and enjoy it slowly.
The longer you take to build it, the longer the Rebel scum has to plan their attack to destroy it.
Build it. Witness the firepower of the fully armed and operational battle station!

Jimbro72

Ok, so here goes, pics of what I currently have displayed in my collection room. This first pic shows a full shot of everything but within the flickr gallery you will find more closeups of everything. This is just about all my SW Lego sets here, except for a few of the older, real small sets which are still in a bag, along with several other figs. (Hopefully I'm doing this right).

The most notable of the large sets that I am missing is the first UCS X-wing (and new one, but that will be bought soon enough), the Death Star II, the first release Turbo Tank and the re-released MTT, and then a handful of smaller and medium size sets, mostly from the Ep3 wave some years back. Also missing some polybaged exclusive figs and ships but have some of those.

And here is what is still waiting to be opened and built....of the SW sets, that is. I have another pile equally as big of non-SW sets.

- Ok, it appears as though I'm doing something wrong with inserting pics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

ghostmind

Ok, so here goes, pics of what I currently have displayed in my collection room. This first pic shows a full shot of everything but within the flickr gallery you will find more closeups of everything. This is just about all my SW Lego sets here, except for a few of the older, real small sets which are still in a bag, along with several other figs. (Hopefully I'm doing this right).

The most notable of the large sets that I am missing is the first UCS X-wing (and new one, but that will be bought soon enough), the Death Star II, the first release Turbo Tank and the re-released MTT, and then a handful of smaller and medium size sets, mostly from the Ep3 wave some years back. Also missing some polybaged exclusive figs and ships but have some of those.

And here is what is still waiting to be opened and built....of the SW sets, that is. I have another pile equally as big of non-SW sets.

- Ok, it appears as though I'm doing something wrong with inserting pics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Click the "other ways to share" link, grab the HTML code and strip out everything but the image URL and...

8885851244_168365c30f_b.jpg

OMG!
qSoq2MD.jpg

You can also just hyperlink the whole gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38561248@N02/with/8885851244/

Jimbro72

Ha! Thanks. That first pic doesn't even show off all the shelves, either.

Click the "other ways to share" link, grab the HTML code and strip out everything but the image URL and...

Thanks for the help. Is the "other ways to share" link within the posting a reply screen here or is that on Flickr? I'm not seeing it. Sorry for not knowing much about this, I generally lurk in forums and don't do much posting, so I rarely ever have posted pics before.

ghostmind

Ha! Thanks. That first pic doesn't even show off all the shelves, either.

Thanks for the help. Is the "other ways to share" link within the posting a reply screen here or is that on Flickr? I'm not seeing it. Sorry for not knowing much about this, I generally lurk in forums and don't do much posting, so I rarely ever have posted pics before.

You can also drill down in each image to where you can pick specific image size, and then just copy the image URL from there.

If you want, I can post them for you... just let me know.

Jimbro72

I am in awe of your collection! You have it.. all of it!

Look at those sets! Cloud City! UCS Tantive IV!

Thanks!! Well, not quite all of it. Still two very large holes in my collection, that being the DSII set and the first UCS X-wing set. One of these days....they shall be mine....I hope.

Jimbro72

You can also drill down in each image to where you can pick specific image size, and then just copy the image URL from there.

If you want, I can post them for you... just let me know.

If you wouldn't mind, that would be great. Thank you! I'll still need to play around with Flickr and the posting of pics here for future times, as this is basically first time I've shared my collection online before. I figure it was time others got a peek.

Jimbro72

Awesome! Thanks for posting those.

And I thought that I had a lot of Star Wars sets. WOW!

One question - do you keep the boxes? Break them down flat?

I keep the boxes. I had not been breaking them down, but instead storing smaller boxes within larger ones and then storing them all in a large closet in my basement. But, space was becoming an issue so just very recently, I broke about 80% of them down to free up more space. Also, some of my very biggest boxes are gone due to a some water damage that crept over from the furnace room and into this closet. I did not notice it until months later, when the damage (and mold) had been done and among the boxes I lost that day were the USC Falcon box, the USC ISD box, and about 4-5 other larger boxes. I was not happy with that discovery. : (

ghostmind

Awesome! Thanks for posting those.

I keep the boxes. I had not been breaking them down, but instead storing smaller boxes within larger ones and then storing them all in a large closet in my basement. But, space was becoming an issue so just very recently, I broke about 80% of them down to free up more space. Also, some of my very biggest boxes are gone due to a some water damage that crept over from the furnace room and into this closet. I did not notice it until months later, when the damage (and mold) had been done and among the boxes I lost that day were the USC Falcon box, the USC ISD box, and about 4-5 other larger boxes. I was not happy with that discovery. : (

Damn, yeah that would have sucked.

Looking at your collection, I figure I have between 1/3 and 1/2 of what you have. It's really nice seeing them all together like this to compare scale/design. And your pics have given my some ideas for finally getting mine out for display. Thanks for sharing!

Jimbro72

Damn, yeah that would have sucked.

Looking at your collection, I figure I have between 1/3 and 1/2 of what you have. It's really nice seeing them all together like this to compare scale/design. And your pics have given my some ideas for finally getting mine out for display. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. Thanks again for the help with the pics.

I figure it best to photograph how the display is now before I start weeding out some of the sets to break down and put away and make room for the new stuff and maybe rearrange things. Now the dilemma of just what all gets packed up.

ruxtpin

Banned
Looking at your pics Jimbro and all I can hear is the sound of majestic flaming steeds as they leap over the rivers of Avalon. Huzzah! A thousand times huzzah!

w17fJ9M.gif

dZpF0Oa.gif

fXAPa7U.gif

lPRMkGE.jpg

By Grabthar's Hammer...what a collection!

lingiii

Banned
Hey guys, did you notice that collection is BONKERS!?

I wish I had a room to dedicate like that. Hot damn I'd just sit in it foe hours, laughing maniacally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't see the UCS imperial shuttle?

Great collection, fun to window shop what you'd want for your own collection. I think I'd be happy with all the UCS line (if only), I do wish they'd make a UCS A-Wing

Can't see the UCS imperial shuttle?

Great collection, fun to window shop what you'd want for your own collection. I think I'd be happy with all the UCS line (if only), I do wish they'd make a UCS A-Wing

It is off the stand and hiding behind the Best Star. It sadly does not have the room needed to be in its glorious opened up mode.

And once he builds the SSD, I am curious where it will go.

Where does Orthanc stack up in size compared to other huge builds? I know SSD and probably Tower Bridge are longer, and Taj Mahal is bigger overall, but is it the highest? I can't remember the size of the Eiffel Tower right now.

Edit: Eiffel looks huge in my old picture, probably around 80 cm. Statue of Liberty is pretty big too.

Jimbro72

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the pics. First time I've shown it to people outside of friends and relatives who have seen it in person.

It is off the stand and hiding behind the Best Star. It sadly does not have the room needed to be in its glorious opened up mode.

And once he builds the SSD, I am curious where it will go.

Yeah, that's one of the challenges I'm facing now with nearly hitting my limit on room. I've decided to start selling off some of my non-Lego SW collection to free up even more of the shelving space in that room. But once I've packed up a few things and done some rearranging, the SSD most likely will go on those shelves to the right, where it's only the 3' high shelves, or, and this might be ideal, I find another place for the shuttle and the Death Star and have it sitting next to the ISD.

Finding a space for the SSD is only one of my problems since I started collecting other lines in Jan. I'd still like to find space to display my other large sets like the modulars, etc. And this doesn't include future purchases I want to make like the other modulars I don't have yet, Orthanc, Ewok Village, and most likely, the Opera House. What I need is another room for all this but no way in hell would my wife go for that. She already is not pleased with the fact that there are built sets sitting in the office now, waiting to be moved to the basement.

Samurai Mech says hi.

Edit: Holy moly at that SW collection. I got emotional by just the first two photos. The Imperial Shuttle needs to be more at the front - one of the best looking sets imo.

I totally agree, it's a set that was made to be on display front and center some where, so with my re-do of my room, finding a better spot for that should be a priority.

sharbhund

Where does Orthanc stack up in size compared to other huge builds? I know SSD and probably Tower Bridge are longer, and Taj Mahal is bigger overall, but is it the highest? I can't remember the size of the Eiffel Tower right now.

Edit: Eiffel looks huge in my old picture, probably around 80 cm. Statue of Liberty is pretty big too.

Eiffel Tower is 42.5" tall, Orthanc is 28".

Eiffel Tower is 42.5" tall, Orthanc is 28".

Wow, Saruman is envious of the French.

And I read a review of Council of Elrond. Man, I really feel like buying a few of those, to make a few more Rivendell scenes.

It's a really good idea by Lego to make the Black Gate and the Council expandable, and also include wanted figures. This gives people a reason to buy spare sets and either sell off the figures they don't need or the extra set pieces.

R-User!

On Amazon it says Eiffel Tower is 3 1/2 feet tall, and Orthanc is over 28" inches (2ft 4.X inches).

Edit: Beaten... :)

R-User!

Jimbro, how do you handle "dusting" that shit, lol? :)

Edit: and by "shit" I mean "that Ridiculously Amazing Awesome Cool Collection" .... :)

Jimbro72

Jimbro, how do you handle "dusting" that shit, lol? :)

Edit: and by "shit" I mean "that Ridiculously Amazing Awesome Cool Collection" .... :)

Dusting? What is this dusting thing that you speak of? ; )

Seriously, though, I don't dust my collection. Call it part laziness, part procrastination and part simply being overwhelmed at the thought of that task. I think some of the much older sets could probably use it but for the most part, this room in my basement gets very little traffic from people or our dog, so it does not have any where near as much dust as you may think it would. I think the Fire Brigade set that is currently sitting in my office upstairs for only a few months has more dust on it than many of those in my collection room. Though if and when the time comes to deal with dust, I may try going the route of one of those cans of compressed air and see if that does the trick, unless others here have better solutions for dealing with dust.

ghostmind

I'm thinking of moving my LEGO down to the basement for reduced dust, as well as more space to grow.

Go to purge the basement first, because it has become a storage apocalypse down there.

shadow29

Neo Member
Sigh its unfortunate in a way to be stuck in an apartment. There's never enouogh room and you are really limited by your options on how to display and store things.

I was thinking of using a table to better display some of the buildings and larger displays next to the bookcases, but once again moving to Utah seems to be a big drawback. Can't find a cheap table thats not a folding one anywhere. A folding table just looks a bit too cheap, but I don't need like a 100+ table either. I was thinking that Ikea would probably have a solid looking, poorly constructed table in my price range, but the only Ikea in Utah is 30+ minutes away. On the off chance that they also don't have a decent table, what would you guys suggest for displaying the larger sets? My main concern right now would be the Tower Bridge since it is too long for my standard bookshelf and hangs off the edges if it sits on top. Going forward the Opera House may also cause problems depending on the Width of the set.

Also It only took 2 months, but I finally can post here. Huzzah.

R-User!

Sigh its unfortunate in a way to be stuck in an apartment. There's never enouogh room and you are really limited by your options on how to display and store things.

I was thinking of using a table to better display some of the buildings and larger displays next to the bookcases, but once again moving to Utah seems to be a big drawback. Can't find a cheap table thats not a folding one anywhere. A folding table just looks a bit too cheap, but I don't need like a 100+ table either. I was thinking that Ikea would probably have a solid looking, poorly constructed table in my price range, but the only Ikea in Utah is 30+ minutes away. On the off chance that they also don't have a decent table, what would you guys suggest for displaying the larger sets? My main concern right now would be the Tower Bridge since it is too long for my standard bookshelf and hangs off the edges if it sits on top. Going forward the Opera House may also cause problems depending on the Width of the set.

Also It only took 2 months, but I finally can post here. Huzzah.

Is this too far from you?:

Super Target
175 W Center St
Orem, UT 84057

They have affordable bookshelves... :)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Dusting? What is this dusting thing that you speak of? ; )

Seriously, though, I don't dust my collection. Call it part laziness, part procrastination and part simply being overwhelmed at the thought of that task. I think some of the much older sets could probably use it but for the most part, this room in my basement gets very little traffic from people or our dog, so it does not have any where near as much dust as you may think it would. I think the Fire Brigade set that is currently sitting in my office upstairs for only a few months has more dust on it than many of those in my collection room. Though if and when the time comes to deal with dust, I may try going the route of one of those cans of compressed air and see if that does the trick, unless others here have better solutions for dealing with dust.

Would the color of the Starwars stuff play into it as well. Gray = not showing dust?

Top Bottom