• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

jpatez34

Neo Member
GALAXY SQAUD IS IN THE UK!!!

20130601120458.jpg

Just returned from a mega LEGO Store shopping trip, also picked up the new Republic Gunship, can't wait to start building. It seems that the Galactic Titan is also not available in the UK yet, it may be launched next month or later in the Summer.

Also I have completed UCS set no. 5. The amazing looking B-Wing!

20130601120513.jpg

Seeing the Ewok Village for the first time and..... I expected more. Where is the AT-ST?

Fowler

I'll be honest, I don't like the Ewok Village much.

The video did a good job of selling it based on a lot of clever little features (rotating trees, nice), but as I don't much like Ewoks and hated most of the Endor parts of RotJ, I'm OK with ignoring this set.

(My wallet just breathed a sigh of relief.)

R-User!

Fewer pieces than I imagined, but what they did with the piece-count (and some of those are LARGE pieces) is amazing!

So many features!

I agree! I was off on my prediction by 621 pieces, but I don't feel that the set is lacking in any way that I can tell so far. It has what I want. 5 Ewoks, 4 trees and New Luke and Leia and lots of tree elements! :)

Bloody hell, looks much better than I imagined it would be! Love the brick rope bridges and dat Leia :)

Same here, I though I would pass this up since I hate them Ewoks and LEGO's trees, but dam that look really nice. Where am I going to put all these LEGO! Good thing my work currently automatic approve all overtime hours.

GALAXY SQAUD IS IN THE UK!!!

Just returned from a mega LEGO Store shopping trip, also picked up the new Republic Gunship, can't wait to start building. It seems that the Galactic Titan is also not available in the UK yet, it may be launched next month or later in the Summer.

Seeing the Ewok Village for the first time and..... I expected more. Where is the AT-ST?

I didn't know the summer Star Wars set are out! Is this only in UK?.

AT-ST will be available separately, all your wallets belong to us.

Initial reaction to the pics of Ewok Village: meh.

But the closer I looked, the more impressed I was. But then the designer video helped sell me on it. Actually pretty impressive looking model for under 2000 pieces. But it does have the Star Wars tax on it.

Thing about the set that is selling me more than anything is Marcos is the designer on it. If anything, it should be a killer build. And this is his biggest set yet, right?

EDIT: Looked at the hi res pics of close up detail, and the SNOT work is nuts on those trees. Yeah, this set gets more impressive the more I look at it. I think my initial disappointment was from wanting a MONSTER set to rival the Death Star. But this will be very cool indeed.

Jimbro72

I think it looks pretty nice but am surprised that a $250 set has less than 2000 pieces in it (then again, its SW, so maybe not). Maybe its all the figs that are pushing the price a little higher.

Also, I look at that and think crap, that is going to take up a lot of real estate to display once it's built.

Ewok Village reminds me of the Swiss Family Robinson/Tarzan attraction at Disneyland. It doesn't appeal to me but I'm sure some SW fans are pretty happy with it.

Now when are we going to see the Opera House?

Also, what is up with the Scout Trooper's arms? Shouldn't there be some white painted onto them for the pads?

Are there any figs with two different colors on the arms?

ghostmind

I think it looks pretty nice but am surprised that a $250 set has less than 2000 pieces in it (then again, its SW, so maybe not). Maybe its all the figs that are pushing the price a little higher.

Also, I look at that and think crap, that is going to take up a lot of real estate to display once it's built.

I was thinking of your display when they showed it.

I think it's going to look glorious when on display though - it will make a nice break in all the grey ships and vehicles, even morseo than Jabba's Palace/Rancor Pit.

Between the Ewok Village, Orthanc, and Arkham, licensed theme fans are getting a embarassement of riches.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't know if Star Wars prohibits this, but they should have put in ghost Yoda, Obi Wan, and Anakin (Sebastian Shaw).

Jimbro72

Are there any figs with two different colors on the arms?

I just took a look through my collection and did not immediately see any other SW figure with printing on their arms. However, a quick peek through the Minifigure Character Encyclopedia shows that they do have figs with printing on their arms, most recently from series 10 with the Motorcycle Mechanic and the Tomahawk Warrior. So it is not a new concept for them to do printing on arms, making it seem more odd that the Biker Scout's arms are all black, which just looks a little.....off.

Edit: Scratch that, the Boba Fett that comes with Cloud City has printed arms.

I was thinking of your display when they showed it.

I think it's going to look glorious when on display though - it will make a nice break in all the grey ships and vehicles, even morseo than Jabba's Palace/Rancor Pit.

Between the Ewok Village, Orthanc, and Arkham, licensed theme fans are getting a embarassement of riches.

Good point, I could use more color on display that isn't white, black or grey. I just need to free up more space as the EV is going to need a lot of it to display it properly.

I just took a look through my collection and did not immediately see any other SW figure with printing on their arms. However, a quick peek through the Minifigure Character Encyclopedia shows that they do have figs with printing on their arms, most recently from series 10 with the Motorcycle Mechanic and the Tomahawk Warrior. So it is not a new concept for them to do printing on arms, making it seem more odd that the Biker Scout's arms are all black, which just looks a little.....off.

Edit: Scratch that, the Boba Fett that comes with Cloud City has printed arms.

Oh nice. I was just looking through my figs and didn't see any with more than one color on the arms but I figured they must have done it at some point.

Edit: I'm waiting outside the LEGO store and I noticed they display their X-Wing on a piece of clear plastic that makes it appear as if it's flying on an angle. I think I might try to buy something like that and attempt it at home.

Fowler

Initial reaction to the pics of Ewok Village: meh.

But the closer I looked, the more impressed I was. But then the designer video helped sell me on it. Actually pretty impressive looking model for under 2000 pieces. But it does have the Star Wars tax on it.

Thing about the set that is selling me more than anything is Marcos is the designer on it. If anything, it should be a killer build. And this is his biggest set yet, right?

EDIT: Looked at the hi res pics of close up detail, and the SNOT work is nuts on those trees. Yeah, this set gets more impressive the more I look at it. I think my initial disappointment was from wanting a MONSTER set to rival the Death Star. But this will be very cool indeed.

Yeah, I'm surprised by how good a job he did with that set. I don't even have a little bit of love for Ewoks, but the video impressed me quite a bit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Happily I'm not loving the ewok village. It seems to not know what it wants to be - why have scout troopers and speeder bikes and the logs (which were for the AT-ST) but not have an AT-ST? Or just keep it purely as the village? It's like they wanted to put some good vs bad in it, but not go the whole hog.

I like Jedi but I'm happy with my imperial shuttle. I think I'm more interested in the ships I guess (even though i didn't get the B-wing or SSD)Phew.

Wonder what we'll get of SW UCS next year?

Nice pickup!

They did not have the Corsair Ship and Black Gate in stock? Surely not, because you would have bought them too! ;)

They didn't have the Corsair Ship in yet. They did have the Black Gate, and I stood and looked at the box for a good few minutes, but I convinced myself to hold out and see if it gets discounted down the road. I really only want that set for the Mouth. Small will power victories.

Ainaurdur

They didn't have the Corsair Ship in yet. They did have the Black Gate, and I stood and looked at the box for a good few minutes, but I convinced myself to hold out and see if it gets discounted down the road. I really only want that set for the Mouth. Small will power victories.

But he has a token he was bidden to show thee! How could you hold him in your hands and resist?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
What's the opinion on the Ironman Malibu Mansion set? Was looking to pick something up today that was in that mid price range sweet spot and figures it would be a good one. Plus I am trying to gather the different Ironman suits.

That Endor set is amazing. I am totally fine with being in the minority by liking ewoks and the whole Endor setting.
In my opinion that is hands down the best looking Luke figure ever released too. The lapel flap open like that is a very nice touch.

Wil have to find a way to rationalize saving up the money for that.

Good thing I don't care for Ewok Village too much, I'm already struggling to figure out how to go about buying all the big sets I do want to get (like Pet Shop, Town Hall, Palace Cinema, Orthanc, Death Star, SSD, UCS X-Wing, R2-D2...)

Seeing it has made me look at Death Star some more, and as some suspect I worry that Ewok Village may finally be the replacement for it in terms of "large Star Wars playset with tons of minifigs" and that Death Star may finally be due for retirement. This has bumped it up in priority in my mind some, but $400 is really too much for me to spend all at once now.

I've been looking at Amazon and see that I could get 6 month financing with their credit card, putting the monthly cost at just around $66.67 for six months. Anyone have experience in Amazon's financing? It sounds like a promising option, putting the Death Star (and perhaps later the SSD, I just do not know how I would possibly display it) within my budget.

Ponn

Banned
Cute little set. The back part detaches. Elrond and Arwen's hair pieces are very cool.

92ekWlU.jpg

Nice. I have to say i was totally against that set when i first saw it but the recent reviews and pics have made me pull a 180 on it. I think im going to follow Mr. Potter's lead and pick this and the Wizard set up and wait for discount or AWD on Black Gate so i can just get two at the same time.

Dat Elrond Council.

What colour are the new leaf pieces? Are they red-brown or more orange looking? Figs look great.

Bricklink lists it as Dark Orange officially. I'm gonna wait a bit until more people get them because I want those leaves and lots of them.

I thought the olive green leaves were new but it seems that they've been around for awhile because Bricklink has tons of them...I need to stock up.

Kryten

Recent purchasings with some bonuses on the right:

Watch out, 9394 was my gateway drug into Technic, an addiction which is not abating. I'm currently building the Super Car with the Excavator and Unimog on ice, but my resistance to getting all three sets underway at once is weakening.

Nice. I have to say i was totally against that set when i first saw it but the recent reviews and pics have made me pull a 180 on it. I think im going to follow Mr. Potter's lead and pick this and the Wizard set up and wait for discount or AWD on Black Gate so i can just get two at the same time.

As always, Swedish MSRP is way, way out of whack here. I was going to get it, but seriously, it's $75 and I pretty much need two of them. Somehow the disparity doesn't hurt as much on the low end and high end sets, but the middle ones like this, Uruk Hai army and Weathertop are just massively overpriced.

I'll probably buy just Orthanc off S@H and then find imports of the rest.

rallaren

Watch out, 9394 was my gateway drug into Technic, an addiction which is not abating. I'm currently building the Super Car with the Excavator and Unimog on ice, but my resistance to getting all three sets underway at once is weakening.
Supercar is actually the one I started with this year and I thought it would be the only Lego I'd buy. Then I got the helicopter, Quinjet etc. etc.... I still have 4x4 unbuilt.

There are still some sets I look forward to this year but I'd say I'm more excited for next year.

sharbhund

Bricklink lists it as Dark Orange officially. I'm gonna wait a bit until more people get them because I want those leaves and lots of them.

I thought the olive green leaves were new but it seems that they've been around for awhile because Bricklink has tons of them...I need to stock up.

Speaking of leaves, the Pick-A-Brick wall at my Lego Store just had the bright green leaves in stock. This was the first time I'd seen that piece in stock, so I grabbed 200+ of them in 2 large cups.

Jimbro72

Has anyone actually got the Orc Forge set? Is it any good really or more so just for orc figs?

I have it and have built it. I like it and think its a neat little set. In addition to the cool figs it also comes with a light brick that is used quite cleverly. I also like that is has some height to it, too. Feels a tad overpriced at $40. Despite the piece count and figs, feels more like a great $30 set but I dont regret buying it at full price less the red card discount.

Speaking of leaves, the Pick-A-Brick wall at my Lego Store just had the bright green leaves in stock. This was the first time I'd seen that piece in stock, so I grabbed 200+ of them in 2 large cups.

I'm gonna have to check this weekend...I have ideas and those ideas need plenty of those leaves.

mrkgoo

Whoa, there be Aucklanders here. :) Lineup! Insane lineup no less. Oh shit. That doesn't bode well, hah.

Yep first thing sounds like the way to go. Am at work tomorrow, thinking of dragging some work people along, or go early the next day. Hmm.

Must be worth seeing then I guess at least =:)

Bah. I'm here in the morning and the lines are twice as long as yesterday.

Oh nice. I was just looking through my figs and didn't see any with more than one color on the arms but I figured they must have done it at some point.

Edit: I'm waiting outside the LEGO store and I noticed they display their X-Wing on a piece of clear plastic that makes it appear as if it's flying on an angle. I think I might try to buy something like that and attempt it at home.

I saw the same stand in Stratford last weekend and am also looking online. I may be able to get a hold of a document holder from work that does the job but won't know till next week.

NHy2Gjx.jpg

Ponn

Banned
I have it and have built it. I like it and think its a neat little set. In addition to the cool figs it also comes with a light brick that is used quite cleverly. I also like that is has some height to it, too. Feels a tad overpriced at $40. Despite the piece count and figs, feels more like a great $30 set but I dont regret buying it at full price less the red card discount.

Cool thanks, I still wanted to get it to have a complete wave 1 LotR set but have been hesistant.

sharbhund

This wasn't one of the Georgia stores was it?

Nope, it was Tigard, Oregon. The employee that I asked about it thought that it was a piece that Lego just recently made available for the PAB wall, so if your store doesn't have it, you could always ask them to order it. If anyone else comes across them, I recommend taking the time to stack the leaves. Because of the awkward shape, it makes a huge difference in the number of pieces you can fit in one cup.

Here's everything I was able to fit into 2 cups:

2pnaIuWl.jpg

207 leaves
78 red flowers
139 white flowers
185 1x4 brown tiles
72 2x2 gray tiles
222 red gems
130 1x2 lime tiles
73 purple cones
75 1x2 tan plates
45 1x1 gray bricks with handle