• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Welcome back!

That reminds me, one time I need to go through a few more of my sets and find what I'm missing so I can bricklink the missing parts...I really could use an instruction booklet for the Forestmen's River Fortress.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Found the USC Death Star II (10143) on craigslist for $450. One owner, full box and instructions. I really want this set over the Death Star (10188), but I can't really justify spending 450 on it, even though i think that is a good deal.

lingiii

Banned
welcome back dude, it's always a russian roulette to post on the "pics that makes you laugh" thread :)

more like "Pics that make you banned" amirite? shit's a minefield.

Meanwhile, I'm moving this weekend and after much deliberation decided to bust up the Best Star for transit. I tried to vaguely separate the chunks into the four boxes based on level, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to take everything apart down to the bricks, mix the boxes, and build all the way back up.

I... am super excited to do this.

Ainaurdur

more like "Pics that make you banned" amirite? shit's a minefield.

Meanwhile, I'm moving this weekend and after much deliberation decided to bust up the Best Star for transit. I tried to vaguely separate the chunks into the four boxes based on level, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to take everything apart down to the bricks, mix the boxes, and build all the way back up.

I... am super excited to do this.

Or you could take the long tedious route of following the directions backwards to make sure that the pieces you need in each step end up in the same bags.

---

I have discovered I enjoy dusting my displayed sets using a small paintbrush. I am almost inspired to go buy a fan brush for some of those larger surfaces.

And I cannot decide, since space is limited, do I build my sealed Hayabusa that has been in my backlog for a few months. Or wait and build my Galaxy Squad ships coming tomorrow?
Expect someone to respond with whynotboth.gif
;)

Jimbro72

Anyone here down for posting minifigures they want to trade, or a no-no?

I'd be up for that, too. I have spares and needs from series 9 and when my order from S@H gets here later this week, I suspect the same will apply for series 10, as well, as I ordered 16 and do not expect to luck out and not get a single duplicate.

Are you going to get all the original pieces or will you be substituting the more expensive pieces?
im substituting some parts.
no way in hell am I paying 50+ for a satellite dish et al.
I've also substituted some parts for different colours, e.g. the yellow technic angles are black.
But 99% of the pieces will be as they are supposed to be.

welcome back dude, it's always a russian roulette to post on the "pics that makes you laugh" thread :)
yea i just got caught on the wrong page at the wrong time.
I am pretty sure the picture would have been harmless on any other page...
oh well c'est la vie.

R-User!

Or you could take the long tedious route of following the directions backwards to make sure that the pieces you need in each step end up in the same bags.

---

I have discovered I enjoy dusting my displayed sets using a small paintbrush. I am almost inspired to go buy a fan brush for some of those larger surfaces.

And I cannot decide, since space is limited, do I build my sealed Hayabusa that has been in my backlog for a few months. Or wait and build my Galaxy Squad ships coming tomorrow?
Expect someone to respond with whynotboth.gif
;)

If you go to an electronics store like Fry's Electronics you can find vacuum hose attachments for cleaning P.C. fans, and they usually come with adapters to fit a standard household vacuum cleaner. And you can get some that let you control the suction level so that there is less likelihood having a piece pulled into the vacuum.

I basically have this set right here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BSJCLY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

, and it's great for vacuuming my entire entertainment center every couple months.

I'll be using it on LEGO going forward!

Not sure if it was actually Marcos Bessa or not. Regardless, the posts exchange was funny. From ToysNBricks.com http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8782

marcosbessa
I'm New !

marcosbessa wrote:

pogie wrote:
skeet318 wrote:

Does the guy in the video shave his hands? No way can your arms be that hairy and not your hands (I know, I know, shut up Skeet).

LMAO!-from the opening still of the movie it looks like a prosthetic hand.

LOOOL.... I had to register myself in this forum just to answer to the funniest comments about my video! xD

No, I don't have a prosthetic hand nor I shave my hands. But I do have some hairy arms...

Ainaurdur

I'm not sure if Gollum and Hulk are happy being alone at this pub.
golhulkdrink.JPG

May send them off to meet up with some others later when I have more time. I had to get back to work.

Hidden topic: Lego avatar ideas? I know quite a few of us already have them, thought it might be nice to come up with more to share and quietly continue to spread Lego-GAF awareness across the board.

I'm not sure if Gollum and Hulk are happy being alone at this pub.
golhulkdrink.JPG

May send them off to meet up with some others later when I have more time. I had to get back to work.

Hidden topic: Lego avatar ideas? I know quite a few of us already have them, thought it might be nice to come up with more to share and quietly continue to spread Lego-GAF awareness across the board.

Come up with a minifig that represents you or just some made up character you like and use that.

Picked up Weathertop... Putting it together now n really liking it :)

Last figure I need from LotR to complete my fellowship is Samwise and I don't know if I should buy Shelob or trade with my friend's kid for their Sam >_<

Ainaurdur

Last figure I need from LotR to complete my fellowship is Samwise and I don't know if I should buy Shelob or trade with my friend's kid for their Sam >_<

Glad you are enjoying Weathertop, has some nice little added details to it.

Shelob herself is amazing and worth getting the set for, even if it wasn't currently the only way to get Sam. And Gollum too, unless you already grabbed the newer Riddles of the Ring set.

Just find something you like and run with it. R-User! has a new one and I like it.

I've been meaning to try and find a fig combination that looks like Will Oldham but haven't been able to. Maybe we'll get some alternate colors of the Series 10 "old man" bald head that'll help.

Ponn

Banned

Buy the Shelob set, great set for $20. The mini build can be blended into other sets pretty nice, you get a Gollum and Frodo figure which you can never have enough of, you get Samwise and Shelob is a fun build and great for amusing set bombing.

Finally made myself finish Mines of Moria today. Meh. The figs are great, troll is great but thats really the only reason to buy this set. Disjointed scenery is just not interesting. I will find a way to work it into my Helms Deep set and I got some ideas to use the well and tomb for my Halloween diorama.

Buy the Shelob set, great set for $20. The mini build can be blended into other sets pretty nice, you get a Gollum and Frodo figure which you can never have enough of, you get Samwise and Shelob is a fun build and great for amusing set bombing.

Finally made myself finish Mines of Moria today. Meh. The figs are great, troll is great but thats really the only reason to buy this set. Disjointed scenery is just not interesting. I will find a way to work it into my Helms Deep set and I got some ideas to use the well and tomb for my Halloween diorama.
The disjointed aspect of Moria sucks, but I like the interactive features. Lots of fun lil details as you build it.
However, dem figures!

R-User!

Just find something you like and run with it. R-User! has a new one and I like it.

I've been meaning to try and find a fig combination that looks like Will Oldham but haven't been able to. Maybe we'll get some alternate colors of the Series 10 "old man" bald head that'll help.

My mind starting thinking about spreading the LEGO GAF message, and it came to me like a new unknown LEGO technique:

What if someone skilled made a banner like the #PS4NODRM one, but ours would be something like:

#LEGOGAF (diagonally across upper left corner)

=BESTGAF (diagonally across lower right corner.

Solid Yellow Background with Black, Blue and Red alternating letters. ?! :)

So I was checking out the Bug Obliterator and thinking about how I may buy it this month when I noticed it's on sale for 23% off at Amazon, $61.77.

Well, my first Galaxy Squad set's on its way.

Ponn

Banned
The disjointed aspect of Moria sucks, but I like the interactive features. Lots of fun lil details as you build it.
However, dem figures!

Not a fan of all the stickers. The little pillars was kind of cool I guess. Overall i'm just tired of building doors and walls for LoTR sets.

I say that, yet i want to get two of the Black Gate sets. Orthanc will be a breath of fresh air along with the Elrond set. I'm also a little bit more excited for the pirate ship just for a change as well.

My mind starting thinking about spreading the LEGO GAF message, and it came to me like a new unknown LEGO technique:

What if someone skilled made a banner like the #PS4NODRM one, but ours would be something like:

#LEGOGAF (diagonally across upper left corner)

=BESTGAF (diagonally across lower right corner.

Solid Yellow Background with Black, Blue and Red alternating letters. ?! :)

I support this initiative.

So I was checking out the Bug Obliterator and thinking about how I may buy it this month when I noticed it's on sale for 23% off at Amazon, $61.77.

Excellent choice! The set looks great when built and even better when both vehicles are separated.

Only problem starting with that set (like I did) it is all downhill after that. Well, Hive Crawler humbles Bug Obliterator for me. But the GS stuff just got cooler as I got more and more of them. Definitely the theme that has brought me the most joy this year.

Fantomex

So, time to share soemething. And forgive any typos as I am stuck using my phone for all Internet for a bit.

About 10:30am this morning I heard a loud bang outside my window. I live on the second floor and I went over to the window and see there is a car against the building. Someone drove their car over the curb and hit the apartment beneath us. No one was harmed thankfully.
But, once the fire marshal and building inspector came, they discovered that the main support of that wall was broken by the car. The apartment below and mine were deemed unsafe, so my wife and I had to pack stuff up (including two cats) and move into a hotel for the next few days until they can repair the wall. And we even had to beg the in laws for money for the hotel until insurance reimburses us.
So, sitting here in a crummy hotel with sub 56k wifi, and two pissed off and scared cats with my wife. Fun times. Honestly never been happier to go to work and take my mind off stuff.

But, there is a LEGO story in this. When the first fireman came up, as he was leaving he saw the display shelf with all my modulars near the door. He immediately saw Fire Brigade and said how much he loved it. Of course my wife and I had to show him the interior, and he had to take pics to tell the other firefighters.
Later when they came back to tell us to evacuate, a few other firemen were with him and they wanted to see Fire Brigade. I feel the local firehouse will soon have Fire Brigade on display in their office soon. :)

Dang Phone, just came in to post that I'm glad you and yours weren't hurt or anything.

And to all my lego brothers and sisters, thanks for all the stuff you post. I'm always watching, always lurking, keep it up!

R-User!

Can you change text color, or are we limited to just the red highlight function? I tried to make each letter of #LEGOGAF
=BESTGAF a different color to demonstrate visually what the potential look of the design could be, but I couldn't figure out how/or if it's possible to type in a different font color... Is it possible on this forum? My hunch is that you can't.

Dang Phone, just came in to post that I'm glad you and yours weren't hurt or anything.

And to all my lego brothers and sisters, thanks for all the stuff you post. I'm always watching, always lurking, keep it up!
Third night in shitty hotel tonight. Insurance company will be getting us in a better hotel tomorrow. Might not get back into my own home for a week or more.

The lady from MetLife was kind, caring, and awesome. That went a LONG way for me. The people from our apt complex were essentially "tough luck. Get out. We won't help you find anything." Yeah, that pissed me off something fierce.
I haven't been sleeping much at all these last few nights , so hopefully new hotel does the trick. I appreciate the well wishes from here though. And you know I will spoil myself with a big purchase of LEGO this month. If my alcohol bill doesn't cut into it too much. Gotta say, this Sam Adams New World brew is helping a lot tonight.

Fantomex

Third night in shitty hotel tonight. Insurance company will be getting us in a better hotel tomorrow. Might not get back into my own home for a week or more.

The lady from MetLife was kind, caring, and awesome. That went a LONG way for me. The people from our apt complex were essentially "tough luck. Get out. We won't help you find anything." Yeah, that pissed me off something fierce.
I haven't been sleeping much at all these last few nights , so hopefully new hotel does the trick. I appreciate the well wishes from here though. And you know I will spoil myself with a big purchase of LEGO this month. If my alcohol bill doesn't cut into it too much. Gotta say, this Sam Adams New World brew is helping a lot tonight.

Yeah man, it really helps when the insurance companies have real people behind them. Sometimes man, these things happen and they make you better for it in the end. Can appreciate things more. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it though, it absolutely sucks to be in that tough position. But you'll make it man. The new hotel should help, think of it as a vacation!

R-User!

Sounds like a good beer!

*holds up invisible glass*

Cheers!!!

Ainaurdur

Great choice indeed, mine arrives tomorrow.
I got a nice surprise when I got home from work tonight, my Warp Stinger arrived a day early. Just finished building it, left all the stickers off for now.

Not a fan of all the stickers. The little pillars was kind of cool I guess. Overall i'm just tired of building doors and walls for LoTR sets.

I say that, yet i want to get two of the Black Gate sets. Orthanc will be a breath of fresh air along with the Elrond set. I'm also a little bit more excited for the pirate ship just for a change as well.
I think there will be several of us doing this. It is practically essential to have two for a complete gate. Still sad they did not scale it large enough to include the trolls to open the gate though.

What store was selling it? So I can find it and enjoy some to celebrate my move this weekend... :)
I just find it at my local stores in CT. It is only available in one 750ml bottle for around $9-&10. Look in their craft or limited section for it. This and their Thirteenth Hour are fantastic. Thirteenth is a chocolate coffee stout with a 9% ABV or something. Tasty, but not as refreshing as New World.
If you want a truly godly beer though, ask your local liquor store about Ommegang's Three Philosophers beer. It is expensive as hell ($11 for a 750ml bottle here, or $16 for a four pack of 12oz bottles) but amazing. A quadruple ale(!) that is dark, heavy, and full of flavor. ABV of 9.7%, so be cautious. It is the one beer I get as either a special treat to myself or as a gift to others. Just amazing.

R-User!

I just find it at my local stores in CT. It is only available in one 750ml bottle for around $9-&10. Look in their craft or limited section for it. This and their Thirteenth Hour are fantastic. Thirteenth is a chocolate coffee stout with a 9% ABV or something. Tasty, but not as refreshing as New World.
If you want a truly godly beer though, ask your local liquor store about Ommegang's Three Philosophers beer. It is expensive as hell ($11 for a 750ml bottle here, or $16 for a four pack of 12oz bottles) but amazing. A quadruple ale(!) that is dark, heavy, and full of flavor. ABV of 9.7%, so be cautious. It is the one beer I get as either a special treat to myself or as a gift to others. Just amazing.

I feel like Homer Simpson right now: ....."Beeeeeeeeer!" *drool*

R-User!

But what about the Fall LEGO Review … you know, from last year?

While you’ve been anxiously awaiting the results of the Fall 2012 LEGO Review (and subsequent reviews, let’s be honest), our team has been considering the  UCS Sandcrawler, Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, and Thinking with Portals! projects as potential LEGO products.

!!!

Why does it take so long?

Since we began quarterly review batches last year, we’ve been learning that it’s difficult to give definite timeframes to expect results. Our posts on the review process present a nice framework for how we consider a project for production–but it is by no means an easy process. Ultimately, the products we release must fit our brand and strategy, have a strong business case, and a final model must fit our design, buildability, and playability standards. These factors are compounded when working with license partners, each of whom has their own terms and standards.

Projects in each quarterly review are considered in batches, so we announce the results for each project simultaneously. All three projects in the Fall 2012 review period require that we negotiate and collaborate with license partners and this adds complexity to the process. Especially in cases where we are negotiating with third parties, we won’t share news about some projects earlier than others.

We’re anxious to share the exciting news about the Fall 2012 and subsequent LEGO Review groups, and will do so when the time is right. Thanks again for your patience through the process, and stay tuned!

R-User!

Sandcrawler isn't going to happen. Not for a bit at least. I feel we will see a Portal set in the next year though.

Yeah, what does the Portal side of he equation have to lose? Free pub for a Portal 3. And as LEGO, I haven't had the fortune to play Portal, but I imagine its rated "PG" enough for LEGO to be comfortable with it to make it a set?

Also, the could get the clearance for the "go ahead" for the UCS Sandcrawler, but tell us that it may come out next year; time enough for them to properly create the best version to date!

Top Bottom