• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

LTTP (and don't know how I missed it either, I basically live in this thread), but just seen the preview for Ewok Village. Damn.

I didn't want to get it and was secretly hoping it'd be terrible so I wouldn't be compelled to grab it.

So, damn. I love it.

EDIT: Geez, missed the PhoncipleBone post(s) too, sucks to hear bro. Hope the new hotel stay lifts the mood a bit!

ghostmind

Sandcrawler isn't going to happen. Not for a bit at least. I feel we will see a Portal set in the next year though.

I wonder if LEGO's license for Star Wars allows them to put it out as CUUSOO regardless? They might release a System/UCS Sandcrawler instead as a nod to the demand for such a set.

I wonder if LEGO's license for Star Wars allows them to put it out as CUUSOO regardless? They might release a System/UCS Sandcrawler instead as a nod to the demand for such a set.
Still say Sandcrawler won't happen. Not at that scale. Maybe a $100-$150 regular set, but not UCS level. Never ever.

ghostmind

Still say Sandcrawler won't happen. Not at that scale. Maybe a $100-$150 regular set, but not UCS level. Never ever.

I can see a $200+ set with around 1,800 pcs, since they did a 1,669 pc set back in 2005. It won't be UCS - more like the Ewok Village.

Cloud City is where I want the true successor to the Death Star to come from, but there is plenty of time to release both of these, since I think Disney is expecting a resurgence of interest in EP4 to 6 once the new movies start coming out.

R-User!

They could make a Limited Edition initial run of 10,000 sets for the potential worst case scenario that no one actually goes out and buys the thing.

And what would probably happen in that scenario is that a good 2-5000 speculators would come out of the woodwork, because if they hold the vast majority of those sets, and LEGO never makes another run because only 500-2000 (a bomba scenario -only 20% of LEGO fans
buying it)
fans buy the set (leaving appx 3-6000 unsold, then the sets that the speculators did buy would become some of the rarest, if not the rarest of UCS sets; which would make them much more valuable to dem specs.

Also, LEGO did only do an initial run of 10,000 Minecraft sets to gauge interest in that set, so they could potentially do smaller batches based on the size/piece count of a given set.

Larger the Cuusoo set the smaller the batch.

We do know that LEGO is willing to make only 5,000 of one minifig...
I think that we could have a chance at buying an initially "rare" UCS set!!! :)

Make the other $15 pack a Sandpeople pack.

Then make a $30+ Bantha set.

Leading into a $100 Mos Eisley Cantina set.

And how about a Lars Homestead?

I could go on...
Tatooine is a bigger gold mine of sets than Cloud City. Only episode IV Tatooine. VIP exclusive set is Lars Homestead with charred Owen and Beru mini figures.
f067f518a1629337dda9a74a1e31b160.jpg

R-User!

I could go on...

Okay dammit!

I want a Best Star sized Tattooine Planet in the vein of the Best Star with vignettes like the cantina and Lars homestead.

and with the Twin Suns floating off the planet using clear long poles so the Suns look like they are floating of the horizon if you look over the set from a certain angle!!!

Okay dammit!

I want a Best Star sized Tattooine Planet in the vein of the Best Star with vignettes like the cantina and Lars homestead.

and with the Twin Suns floating off the planet using clear long poles so the Suns look like they are floating of the horizon if you look over the set from a certain angle!!!
Bah! Cloud City or bust!

I'll still vote on Cusoo projects I like, but it seems like it's a broken system.

Just give me a third wave of Galaxy Squad, LEGO. I'll be happy with that.

neonglow

I can see a $200+ set with around 1,800 pcs, since they did a 1,669 pc set back in 2005. It won't be UCS - more like the Ewok Village.

Cloud City is where I want the true successor to the Death Star to come from, but there is plenty of time to release both of these, since I think Disney is expecting a resurgence of interest in EP4 to 6 once the new movies start coming out.

Ewok Village isn't considered a UCS set? I assumed anything above $200 would be. Isn't R2D2 considered UCS?

R-User!

I'll still vote on Cusoo projects I like, but it seems like it's a broken system.

I wouldn't say broken, just more complicated for LEGO to turn around a product... Think of it as Bonus LEGO! If it comes great, if not than oh well.

Ewok Village isn't considered a UCS set? I assumed anything above $200 would be. Isn't R2D2 considered UCS?
I think anything with the info plaque is considered a true UCS. So R2 counts, but Best Star and Ewok Village don't.

And while I want a 3rd wave of Galaxy Squad, I would love for one giant 2000+ piece set to end the series with a bang. Of course, the delay on the Titan means it will end with a bang either way.

R-User!

I think anything with the info plaque is considered a true UCS. So R2 counts, but Best Star and Ewok Village don't.

And while I want a 3rd wave of Galaxy Squad, I would love for one giant 2000+ piece set to end the series with a bang. Of course, the delay on the Titan means it will end with a bang either way.

That plaque factor makes sense.

R-User!

That does make sense. I still can't believe the Jedi Starfighter was a UCS set.

This is an old video but the first time I've seen it. Some Japanese guy created a pop-up book out of LEGO! A freaking pagoda appears when he opens the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlA3NV0rFA

Yeah, that shit is insane!

Edit: for someone with under 1000 posts since 2004, the fact that you got tagged is a bit impressive... :) low odds and all that...

I wondered about the "UCS" exclusivity too.

Didn't realise the Best Star didn't have a plaque until I'd cracked open the final bag and it wasn't in there.

Just assumed it was UCS.

Ainaurdur

I am still upset that I never bought that set while it was in stores!

Make a $15 Jawa pack. Comes with a random droid and 3-4 Jawas. Will sell like hotcakes to people like me.

I could go on...
Both of you, stop. You are making me hot and bothered and desiring these things that may never come. They would be amazing and I would have to buy multiples too.

Tatooine is a bigger gold mine of sets than Cloud City. Only episode IV Tatooine. VIP exclusive set is Lars Homestead with charred Owen and Beru mini figures.
f067f518a1629337dda9a74a1e31b160.jpg
That... I laughed. Reminds me that we should still have some of my brother's original Kenner SW figures somewhere in the garage. Of course they were played with by at least 3 of us over the course of about 20 years, so if I found them, they will likely be in terrible condition.

Jimbro72

I could go on...

Do you think Lego would ever do a proper Cantina set, though? After all, it's the SW version of a bar and not entirely sure they'd go for that, though I hope I'm wrong on that. Would be a shame too, as I'd love a $200 huge Cantina set. Think of the brand new minifig potential that could bring.

And getting back to the discussion of a UCS Sandcrawler, what gets made first in UCS scale, if any of these ever do; Sandcrawler, AT-AT or Slave I?

For anyone who has Lone Ranger stuff: how big is the stud on Tonto's bird accessory? Is it a standard handheld peg or a small one like Friends hair accessories? Trying to figure out if I should go with that or the seagull for an idea I have.

Man I hope the cantina set comes back. Not happy I missed out on the dewback in that set... I go nuts for anything Sandtrooper

If Ewok Village was a set that just came with 30 Sandtroopers and an Ewok, I'd buy 16 sets

For anyone who has Lone Ranger stuff: how big is the stud on Tonto's bird accessory? Is it a standard handheld peg or a small one like Friends hair accessories? Trying to figure out if I should go with that or the seagull for an idea I have.

Small hair pin, not a normal stud. Seagull from the mini fig line has a normal stud on the bottom.

R-User!

Is Orthanc considered UCS?

Based on the "Plaque Factor" it wouldn't seem that way. But perhaps that actually will be how LEGO brands it. But I doubt it.

Edit but to me if it's a replica and more than 2000 pieces that's enough for me to view it personally as a pseudo-UCS (PUCS) (another lousy LEGO acronym)...

Actually, what was the last set to officially be called an UCS set? I mean right there in the name of the set.

Oh, and now back in my own home. THANK GOD! Apartment complex called at 9am and said we could come back in. They are still reconstructing the wall in the apartment beneath us, but we are back. Phew. Time for my own shower, then work.

Jimbro72

Based on the "Plaque Factor" it wouldn't seem that way. But perhaps that actually will be how LEGO brands it. But I doubt it.

Edit but to me if it's a replica and more than 2000 pieces that's enough for me to view it personally as a pseudo-UCS (PUCS) (another lousy LEGO acronym)...

Has Lego ever categorized anything other than the SW sets as UCS?

R-User!

Do you think Lego would ever do a proper Cantina set, though? After all, it's the SW version of a bar and not entirely sure they'd go for that, though I hope I'm wrong on that. Would be a shame too, as I'd love a $200 huge Cantina set. Think of the brand new minifig potential that could bring.

And getting back to the discussion of a UCS Sandcrawler, what gets made first in UCS scale, if any of these ever do; Sandcrawler, AT-AT or Slave I?

Since SC (Sandcrawler) is a Cuusoo related project I think it could come out before either AT-AT or Slave-1.

I also think that you could concurrently have UCS SC and either ATAT or S1 release within the same year.

Remember the UCS SC is sort of in it's own universe right now due to CUUSOO. And it could be released as a Test Batch (10,000) sets whereas an ATAT or S1 could be a normal wide UCS release.

Does Lego still even use the UCS label? From what I've seen the new X-Wing, which is definitely a UCS model if you go by the plague, has no mention of being a UCS anywhere on the box or its product page on S@H. It seems to me Lego may be moving away from calling anything UCS, so this whole discussion may be moot.

Man I'm so excited for the Bug Obliterator and it hasn't even shipped. I saw Vermin Vaporizer's also on sale but I shouldn't buy that now, need to save for Pet Shop or Orthanc or Death Star... And the Galactic Titan whenever that starts being available...

Jimbro72

7784 The Batmobile was a UCS. I think that's it.

Edit: From a quick Google image search it looks like this set didn't have a plaque.

So I guess only SW gets the UCS classification? Or at least did if they stopped using it. Odd.

Since SC (Sandcrawler) is a Cuusoo related project I think it could come out before either AT-AT or Slave-1.

I also think that you could concurrently have UCS SC and either ATAT or S1 release within the same year.

Remember the UCS SC is sort of in it's own universe right now due to CUUSOO. And it could be released as a Test Batch (10,000) sets whereas an ATAT or S1 could be a normal wide UCS release.

I'd hope that, eventually, all three of those will be released as a UCS type model at some point before the line ends. But with the new movies starting up in 2 more years, what do you think gets released during those years? Stick with the large OT ships and playsets or do they put out something in that format from the new movies, potentially leaving an even longer wait for something like the AT-AT to ever be released in like a 3000 piece set?

Does Lego still even use the UCS label? From what I've seen the new X-Wing, which is definitely a UCS model if you go by the plague, has no mention of being a UCS anywhere on the box or its product page on S@H. It seems to me Lego may be moving away from calling anything UCS, so this whole discussion may be moot.

I don't understand some of the labeling done by TLG. Like Palace Cinema says 'creator' on the box but I don't think any of the other modulars have that label.

ghostmind

I don't understand some of the labeling done by TLG. Like Palace Cinema says 'creator' on the box but I don't think any of the other modulars have that label.

At the start of 2013, LEGO changed their branding for the old "Direct" line of sets. They are now called "Creator Expert" - Horizon Express and the Palace Cinema are the first sets of this type with the new branding.

Creator Expert is the new branding for all their 10000 series exclusive sets. That is why Horizon Express had it as well.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds!

But I expect the upcoming Sydney Opera House to carry the same branding.

ghostmind

In an odd move - LEGO is re-releasing the discontinued set 7641 City Corner from 2009, now labelled as set 60031.

The odd part is that this is the predecessor to 60026 Town Square, which is also being released this year. Both sets have a bus, a pizza shop and a bike shop.

Why have two competing products out at the same time?

R-User!

In an odd move - LEGO is re-releasing the discontinued set 7641 City Corner from 2009, now labelled as set 60031.

The odd part is that this is the predecessor to 60026 Town Square, which is also being released this year. Both sets have a bus, a pizza shop and a bike shop.

Why have two competing products out at the same time?

Good question. Maybe they think they will somehow complement each other for city builders????...... ? :)

R-User!

Creator Expert is the new branding for all their 10000 series exclusive sets. That is why Horizon Express had it as well.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds!

But I expect the upcoming Sydney Opera House to carry the same branding.

I'm not sure that's totally technically correct, because the new X-Wing (10240) doesn't have the Creator Expert labeling, and is an exclusive set... Right? Or we're you talking about JUST the Creator line.

This classification of just WHAT exactly makes a LEGO set an Ultimate Collectors Series is sort of complicated... :/

EDIT: or Exclusive=Non-Licensed sets; which would be the Modulars and the Creator Line. ? :)

Top Bottom