• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

R-User!

That list is strange, because they include sets like the 10195 Republic Dropship, but not the 10198 Tantive IV.

And then there is this old LEGO poster...

Well, that Briki is a Class 4 article, and it would need to be a Class 2 to be considered "complete", so I guess it's not that good of an indicator.

Also, why wouldn't the Tower Bridge be considered UCS?

Is it because the Creator line implies that someone will build it and then demolish it to Create something with it whereas with the UCS MF people are only buying it to build it then display it?

This is what a poster over on the Brickset forums said in 2011 about the UCS delineation...
bluemoose
April 2011
Prof is right; 10xxx numbered sets are just those that have been commissioned by LEGO's D2C (Direct to Consumer) team; They are sets that are principally intended to be sold through LEGO's direct-to-consumer channels, but are increasingly being offered to other retailers.

'UCS' is whatever LEGO decides it to be, and what it means has & will continue to change over time. For me they are (should be) sets that are primarily intended to be display models, rather than play models (i.e. they aren't really designed with play features).

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/458/star-wars-ucs-sets

I think I agree, but I'm open to persuasion... ;)

I wouldn't say broken, just more complicated for LEGO to turn around a product... Think of it as Bonus LEGO! If it comes great, if not than oh well.

Yes. There are definitely issues with Cuusoo, but calling it broken is a bit harsh IMO. It pains me when they say no to ideas I truly want (I'm talking about you Link/Zelda), but Cuusoo was never meant to make sets if it got enough votes. It simply means LEGO will review the proposal. I will be devastated if Ghostbusters isn't done, but I will still support Cuusoo.

Bonus LEGO is an absolutely correct way to look at it. Without Cuusoo, how else would fan ideas ever get made into an official LEGO set? I can imagine if there were too many complaints and bashing making its way to LEGO, they would shutdown the whole program. If anyone feels there is an issue with Cuusoo, it would be more constructive to have a suggestion on how to fix it when communicating with Cuusoo or LEGO/

In an odd move - LEGO is re-releasing the discontinued set 7641 City Corner from 2009, now labelled as set 60031.

The odd part is that this is the predecessor to 60026 Town Square, which is also being released this year. Both sets have a bus, a pizza shop and a bike shop.

Why have two competing products out at the same time?

That is truly bizarre. Did they find a huge stash in a forgotten warehouse? Maybe they'll put Mr. Gold statues in that set. That goes against their prior acknowledgement of how poorly re-released sets did before (LEGO Legends or something).

R-User!

So I guess only SW gets the UCS classification? Or at least did if they stopped using it. Odd.

I'd hope that, eventually, all three of those will be released as a UCS type model at some point before the line ends. But with the new movies starting up in 2 more years, what do you think gets released during those years? Stick with the large OT ships and playsets or do they put out something in that format from the new movies, potentially leaving an even longer wait for something like the AT-AT to ever be released in like a 3000 piece set?

I think with the new movies coming in 2015 that it looks not release any sense until after the films are released attributing that holiday season with a summer following the release so before that I think would be mostly original trilogy stuff more things and wanted for a while as a last hurrah before they don't have the option to focus mainly on the original $.20

^Thanks Voice to Text..... <_<

I think that with the new movies coming in May 2015, LEGO will have the opportunity to do a "last hurrah" and potentially offer up some rereleases of some fan favorites, as well as use their small window of opportunity to release so things they haven't done yet before their focus has to primarily be on New Content from the Sequel Trilogy. I would imagine LEGO would not release any new designs from the ST until AFTER Episode VII release (after May 2015 - no early leaks and probably a wave during the week following the launch of the film...).

So they have two years to give us UCS CUUSOO SC, UCS CLOUD CITY, UCS TATTOOINE MODULARS, and the one EVERYBODY would pick up right before the ST launches........... Wait for it......... Keep waiting..........You know what it is............

THE ULTIMATE COLLECTORS SERIES

MILLENIUM FALCON!!!

Wow, that was exciting thinking of those sets!

Fowler

I think I've just realised what would have sent me over the edge and made me want to buy the Ewok Village...

Ghost Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin minifigs.

That'd be awesome.

R-User!

http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/07/you-have-reached-your-destination.html?m=1

AT-AT

NSC+2011+AT-AT+%2528WM%2529.jpg

NSC+2011+AT-AT+%2528front%2529+%2528WM%2529.jpg

Sandcrawler

NSC+2011+Sandcrawler+%2528front%2529+%2528WM%2529.jpg

"Witnessing the gasps of delight from watching kids (and more than a few adults as well...) as the massive motorised Sandcrawler lurched forward and lowered its front ramp was a reminder of the ability of LEGO to bring a smile to peoples' faces."

NSC+2011+Sandcrawler+%2528side%2529+%2528WM%2529.jpg

Endor

NSC+2011+Endor+Scene+%2528WM%2529.jpg

R2-D2
The Droid moves, the head spins, and it lights up!!!

NSC+2011+R2-D2+%2528WM%2529.jpg

B-Wing
NSC+2011+B-Wing+%2528WM%2529.jpg

R-User!

drdavewatford
October 2011
At STEAM, Cavegod, myself and a number of others spoke with the LEGO designers who'd come over from Denmark about possible future UCS sets; requests included a remake of the 1999 UCS X-Wing, an A-Wing and an ARC-170....

So we got the X-Wing two years later... Maybe well get a UCS A-Wing next year then a UCS ARC-170 in early 2015...

That list is strange, because they include sets like the 10195 Republic Dropship, but not the 10198 Tantive IV.

And then there is this old LEGO poster...

yty1B9b.jpg

I would not have known this poster was from © The LEGO Group, thanks for making sure I dont miss that © The LEGO Group

*rolleyes*

ps I agree not enough LEGO avatars around ;)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Agreed. Looks like a giant turd on tracks. There really isn't anything memorable enough from the movies to include in the interior either, IMO. Not like the Death Star.

LIES!

Don't hate on sandcrawler :p

I love me (second to Sandtroopers) Jawas...

On a side note, anyone miss Blacktron? I got excited when I saw they had a Blacktron figure in the minifigure collectible series :)

... And going from that anyone here ever read the ice planet comics where the Lego Maniac helped the planet by foiling one of the Blacktron dude? I loved it as a kid.

ps I agree not enough LEGO avatars around ;)

Is Minecraft close enough? :p Give me a Jolteon minifig and maybe I would have a Lego avatar then!

In other news, the Bug Obliterator STILL HAS NOT SHIPPED. God Amazon, get your stuff together already. I'm crossing fingers for it coming tomorrow even if estimated delivery isn't until Thursday, that does happen a lot with me and Amazon.

R-User!

Amazon is sitting on a minimum of 999 SSD, 189 DS's, 169 R2's, and 303 Sith Fury Interceptors.

66 Arkham Asylum's
224 Ghost Trains
195 City Forest Police Stations

Both FB and GE each have a 999 minimum on hand... So it doesn't look like FB is in fear disappearing for folks as long as they keep an eye on it. Just add 999 to you cart, then save for later. To check just Move to Cart to see if the number has depleted. Then put it back in the Save for Later section because otherwise Amazon will boot all you "in cart" stuff to your "saved for later" section if you have too many things in the cart at once...

Just thought I'd randomly share that.

Hoping for some deals on the SSD when it gets replaced

Big box, taking up lots of room... I smell a bargain

So do a bunch of resellers. Make sure you are first in line if there is a discount/sale. Friend of mine went to get B-Wing at LEGO store for the 50% sale and first guy in line bought 5 (the max allowed) and they ran out of stock before he got his. They really should limit to 1 or 2 for massive deals like that.

R-User!

So do a bunch of resellers. Make sure you are first in line if there is a discount/sale. Friend of mine went to get B-Wing at LEGO store for the 50% sale and first guy in line bought 5 (the max allowed) and they ran out of stock before he got his. They really should limit to 1 or 2 for massive deals like that.
The max allowed varies per store...

Store near me said 3 per person, but amended that to two for the B-Wing...

R-User!

is that confirmed then? is there a date?

I don't think it will be replaced until late this year. I think the B-Wing clear-out was to make room for Ewok Village.

Same size box and almost same size piece count. 2cents

Edit and for redundancy: there are lots of Star Wars ships but not a lot of play sets... The B-Wing had to go.

I don't think it will be replaced until late this year. I think the B-Wing clear-out was to make room for Ewok Village.

Edit and for redundancy: there are lots of Star Wars ships but not a lot of play sets... The B-Wing had to go.

frack that will be bitter when I have to get both the b-wing and the ssd in autumn...

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

I think the B-wing sale was due to lack of movement on the product. I am a huge fan, but there is no way I was going to pay $199 for that set. The Star Wars tax caused that one to perform poorly I believe. At least it did in my eyes/wallet.

R-User!

I think the B-wing sale was due to lack of movement on the product. I am a huge fan, but there is no way I was going to pay $199 for that set. The Star Wars tax caused that one to perform poorly I believe. At least it did in my eyes/wallet.

So do you think they did it just to clear inventory temporarily... In fear that they would get stuck with a whole bunch of them and have difficulty clearancing them out later?

to get the ball rolling

Haves:
Minifigures:
(all complete with bag, foot stand, and instructions)
Series 9: Chicken Man, Cyclops
Series 10: Bumblebee Girl

Wants:
(package/bag and instructions included preferred)
Series 1: Demolition Dummy
Series 3: Pilot
Series 4: Hazmat Guy
Series 5: Lizard Man
Series 8: Lederhosen Guy, Businessman
Series 9: Policeman, Knight

frogg609

to get the ball rolling

Haves:
Minifigures:

Wants:

I've got like 6 Policemen, want to trade one for a Cyclops?

ghostmind

TUDHBWH.jpg

The right look for a LEGO® House

The LEGO Group today revealed the design of the experience center &#8220;The LEGO House&#8221;. The center, which will be built in Denmark, illustrates the systematic creativity of LEGO bricks and is expected to attract 250,000 visitors annually.

When the LEGO House opens in 2016 visitors to the house in Billund, Denmark will enter a building that resembles gigantic LEGO bricks combined and stacked in a creative way to create an imaginative experience both outside and inside. In the experience center guests can expect hours full of active fun while at the same time engaging in an educational and inspirational experience &#8211; everything that LEGO play offers.

Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, LEGO owner, explains:
&#8220;The LEGO House will show the past, present and future of the LEGO idea and I am certain it will be a fantastic place, where LEGO fans of all ages and their families and friends will get a wide range of unique LEGO experiences. It is our belief that LEGO play fosters innovative thinking, and the LEGO House gives us an opportunity to make it very tangible what LEGO play offers and how it stimulates children&#8217;s creativity and learning.&#8221;

The project has been under way for more than a year and today the design of the house was revealed.

&#8220;Architect firm BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group) has designed a building that encapsulates what LEGO play and LEGO values are all about&#8221;, says Hans Peter Folmann, Marketing responsible for the LEGO House and adds:

&#8220;The creative use of the LEGO brick shape is a true visualization of the systematic creativity that is at the core of LEGO play, so we believe that this is the right look for the LEGO House. And it simply looks amazing.&#8221;

You can see an early concept video of the LEGO House here. The interior of the building has not been designed yet and will look very different from what can be seen in the video.

http://legoexternal.23video.com/v.ihtml

The LEGO House will be approximately 30 meters tall, and there will be public access to several roof-top gardens from the outside. The building will offer visitors a total of 7,600 square meters of exhibition areas, a café, a unique LEGO store and a large public square.

&#8220;It is our wish that the LEGO House is used by both visitors and the citizens of Billund; the birthplace and home town of the LEGO Group. For this reason a large part of the building &#8211; 1,900 square meters - will be a covered square with free access for the public, and we hope it will be a natural gathering point for people living in Billund as well as visitors. We do not know what specific activities will be in the house,&#8221; says Hans Peter Folmann and adds:

&#8220;We are very ambitious with the LEGO House &#8211; It is our hope and mission that a visit to the LEGO House will be an experience you will never forget, no matter if you are a long time fan or just want to know more about what LEGO play stands for.&#8221;

Construction of the building is expected to begin in early 2014 and the LEGO House will be inaugurated in 2016.

The LEGO House&#8230;
&#8729; Will cover an area of 80 by 100 meters and it will be approximately 30 meters tall.
&#8729; Will feature a total of 7,600 square meters &#8211; including exhibition areas, a café, a LEGO store and a public square.
&#8729; Will be built at the center of the town of Billund, and many entrances will open up the building to the surrounding area.
&#8729; will be built in collaboration between KIRKBI A/S, the LEGO Foundation and the LEGO Group, but the LEGO Group will handle the daily operation of the LEGO House once finished.

Calm Killer

to get the ball rolling

Haves:
Minifigures:

Wants:

I need a bee girl but I don't think I have anything you need.

Calm Killer

So do you think they did it just to clear inventory temporarily... In fear that they would get stuck with a whole bunch of them and have difficulty clearancing them out later?

I think it done for, but that is just my personal opinion.

R-User!

I agree. More specifically, I think that it's done for in stores and when S@H sells out little by little and then sells the rest of their lot, I think that it will be EOL'd.

It's funny, even Amazon (not private sellers) has to lower their price of the B-Wing to compete with Resellers.
Amazon has 601 units and they are selling it for 155.20 with free shipping of course. That's because there's 25 sellers selling it for 170 or under; with or without shipping included.

Amazon "Will NOT be undersold!!! :O

My local LEGO store does not have B-Wing in stock and doesn't know when they'll be getting it again...

Oh for sure. The thing has really grown on me, but initially I thought it was a swing and a miss. It's a ship that most casual Star Wars fans aren't familiar with (someone in this thread had to point out where in Jedi the ship appears, and I've seen that movie tens of times), and it was really overpriced.

Much like the Obi Wan Starfighter and the Gold Leader Y Wing, I think they likely sold poorly and needed to go. The difference with the B Wing is the amount of shelf space it takes up.

Now if only they'd discount Jabba's Palace. I still can't bring myself to pay full price for that.

Got my summer catalog in the mail today, but it did not have the Iron Man cover like the one posted here. Instead it had a Superman cover. Also, much to my surprise, there was a 10% off coupon on the back! EGADS! TigerKiddo was kind enough to send his coupon to me (which hopefully arrives tomorrow or so), so I have two. I feel greedy keeping them both, but I was not expecting one since they never sent one before.

But that means one coupon for Orthanc, and one for the Titan. Speaking of which, why must they tease me and have the Titan in the catalog but not at S@H? Anyone spotted it in stores yet? I will drive out there tomorrow to get the Titan if they have it.

Also, snagged Swarm Interceptor after work tonight. All that remains is the Titan and the Crater Creeper for 100% completion of Galaxy Squad.

EDIT: Looked at the instructions for the Galactic Titan online. I was weak. DAT SNOT WORK! I can't wait to get a hold of this beast.

I ended up emailing LEGO support about my catalog issue and 10% off coupon. Here's the response I got:

Thanks for your interest in our products, Jonathan. We're sorry you had trouble finding a copy of the LEGO® catalog. I've made sure there's one on its way to you (it should arrive in the next couple of weeks). Unfortunately, we don't have a mailing list for future mailings, but you can always call or email to request our most current editions and also, whenever you place an order through LEGO Shop you will receive catalogs for a 12 month period. We mail approximately 6 times per year with the concentration being toward the end of the year&#8217;s holiday time.

The person didn't even address my 10% off coupon question. I live 5 miles from a store and I got them in the past. Should I call?

I ended up emailing LEGO support about my catalog issue and 10% off coupon. Here's the response I got:

The person didn't even address my 10% off coupon question. I live 5 miles from a store and I got them in the past. Should I call?
I cannot be greedy knowing this. If you call and cannot get a coupon, let me know. I will send one of mine.

kms_md

Still have not seen the Titan in the wild (but I have not looked at TRU) and refresh the s@h page several times daily to check.

I cannot be greedy knowing this. If you call and cannot get a coupon, let me know. I will send one of mine.

Thanks Phon, trust me that wasn't my plan all along. Customer service is closed now but I'm going to call in the morning. I'd like to get some resolution on this issue. I live so close and spend quite a bit money there. I've been bricklisted!

Still have not seen the Titan in the wild (but I have not looked at TRU) and refresh the s@h page several times daily to check.

Not at either of my local TRU either. Gonna call the closest Lego store and see if they have it.

Finished Swarm Interceptor. Cool, but not spectacular. I like the self leveling feature of it, but it also cuts into the swoosh factor of the set. This thing is made to swoosh, but the (still cool) always rotating cockpit makes it swoosh a bit less.
Guess I would rate this a B+ in the end.

Thanks Phon, trust me that wasn't my plan all along. Customer service is closed now but I'm going to call in the morning. I'd like to get some resolution on this issue. I live so close and spend quite a bit money there. I've been bricklisted!
Let me know as soon as you can. Otherwise I am going to use the sucker. But I gotta look out for a brother!

Finished Swarm Interceptor. Cool, but not spectacular. I like the self leveling feature of it, but it also cuts into the swoosh factor of the set. This thing is made to swoosh, but the (still cool) always rotating cockpit makes it swoosh a bit less.
Guess I would rate this a B+ in the end.

Switch the 1x2 blue "grate" with the 2x2 light blue piece. That'll lock up the rotating cockpit, I'm not a fan of that feature either.

Patience, LEGO bro. The Titan will be unleashed upon us all soon enough.

Switch the 1x2 blue "grate" with the 2x2 light blue piece. That'll lock up the rotating cockpit, I'm not a fan of that feature either.

Patience, LEGO bro. The Titan will be unleashed upon us all soon enough.

Might try that mod. The self leveling cockpit is cool on the B-Wing, but the small form factor of the Swarm Interceptor makes it less cool. The shape and size makes me want to swoosh it and blow up bugs!
Another knock against the set is that this is the one Galaxy Squad set that looks very bare without stickers. The others still rock without them, but this one looks less than without them. Still a B+ though.

And as for the Titan, the fact that it is on TRU.com, in the LEGO catalog, and instructions available online just makes it a big tease. Every other set from the series is out there except this one. The tease and lack of availability just makes the wait for it that much worse. Hell, I think I want this more than Orthanc at this point because at least I have a hard date for Orthanc while the Titan is "you get it when you find it." Way to drum up suspense for it, but I do feel in my bones that they are saving the best for last with the Titan.

Also, I looked through the new catalog and there are some notable omissions in it.
No Fire Brigade (no surprise. It hasn't been in the last few)
No Tower Bridge (but VW Camper is still there)
Only Galaxy Squad is the Titan and Crater Creeper (only two I don't own yet. They are messing with me! But seriously, I would not look too much into that as it is a new theme)
Biggest omission: NO UCS SSD. Is this the first clue that the SSD is on the way out? The Best Star is still there, but the SSD is no longer listed.

I still need to ask my wife if she minds me getting the Titan. It's such a large set and not an "oh hey, let me pick up this $20 set while we're in Target" kind of deal. Going to frame it as a Father's Day gift to win her over on it.

Forgot to mention at I picked up the Crater Creeper over the weekend. Great $20 set for the Buggoids. Love the pincer claws that will throw around tiny Galaxy Squad vehicles.

I still need to ask my wife if she minds me getting the Titan. It's such a large set and not an "oh hey, let me pick up this $20 set while we're in Target" kind of deal. Going to frame it as a Father's Day gift to win her over on it.

Forgot to mention at I picked up the Crater Creeper over the weekend. Great $20 set for the Buggoids. Love the pincer claws that will throw around tiny Galaxy Squad vehicles.
Soon for the Crater Creeper. Soon. Kinda holding off on that because I can easily sneak that in. Can't sneak the Titan either. Lol.

I am glad to see some others get in on the Galaxy Squad love here. The fact that Europe has them now helps. Which sets from it have you gotten so far?

Top Bottom