• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

Figures are for scale. I didn't feel like taking Hulk out of his tree house.

Cool set when done, but incredibly repetitive. Of course, that was obvious. But it looks really nice once done. The Architecture stuff has been pretty solid this past year. The only exception was the Sydney Opera House. But we know that will be rectified soon. :)

But anyways, this set was bigger than I anticipated, and has tons of useful parts for MOC buildings to come. Lots of white hinge plates too.

It is also one of the low-mid range Architecture sets that is fairly priced at $35. Think of it as a good gateway set, and a nice desk decoration. But nothing amazing that you should run out and buy immediately.

I've thought about picking up various Architecture sets, but the repetition turns me off.

I'm now thinking about making that UN HQ set my gateway Architecture model - that one looks really slick to me.

I've thought about picking up various Architecture sets, but the repetition turns me off.

I'm now thinking about making that UN HQ set my gateway Architecture model - that one looks really slick to me.

White House, dude. White House. Much bigger and more detailed than the box lets on.

The repetition does not hurt my enjoyment for the most part. Repetition usually yields really great looking results in the end. Just look at Tower Bridge and Grand Emporium. I do HATE the squared off binding on the instructions though. Impossible to just lay on the table beside me while I build. I have to hold it open and keep picking it up instead of just thumbing through.

EDIT:

Gandalf makes his escape...

R-User!

Figures are for scale. I didn't feel like taking Hulk out of his tree house.

Cool set when done, but incredibly repetitive. Of course, that was obvious. But it looks really nice once done. The Architecture stuff has been pretty solid this past year. The only exception was the Sydney Opera House. But we know that will be rectified soon. :)

But anyways, this set was bigger than I anticipated, and has tons of useful parts for MOC buildings to come. Lots of white hinge plates too.

It is also one of the low-mid range Architecture sets that is fairly priced at $35. Think of it as a good gateway set, and a nice desk decoration. But nothing amazing that you should run out and buy immediately.

I love that pic. I kinda want that set but for like 20% off or more... :)

Ponn

Banned
I'm getting a little nervous about Haunted House, Amazon hasn't put it back in stock since that sale last week.

Jimbro72

I'm getting a little nervous about Haunted House, Amazon hasn't put it back in stock since that sale last week.

I'd be shocked if that one went away right now. I gotta think it's going to be available through the end of this year (or at least Halloween), if not next year. I think Amazon is just out of stock for the time being. They ran out of Grand Emporium for a bit earlier this year when I was watching it but that one is back now.

rallaren

I've finally finished the Super Car (I end up stretching out my builds, I kinda don't want to finish them). The motorised functions are ok but my favourite is definitely how the rear wing slides in under the boot lid (that's the trunk, to Americans).

My friend hadn't applied the stickers and he didn't include them when I bought the set from him, I'm hoping LEGO will let me buy some as it looks a bit naked right now!
Have you looked at the second model? It seems more interesting I'd say.

I finished 9394 Jet Plane last night and it has ended up to be kind of a favorite. When I started it was extremely tedious, i didn't feel like building it, thought it was my last Technic set (only been thinking of Galaxy Squad past weeks), but it got very pleasant to build by the second manual. Good amount of parts (499) and just an overall cool set.

The local shop brought in LotR, Lone Ranger, TMNT and Series 10 all at once. No yacht, I didn't look for Galaxy Quest. I got six fairly random figs, but it looked like the bags had been felt already. Couldn't find a Medusa but I didn't stick around too long.

Gonna head back for Council, I think.

I built Shelob attacks yesterday.

You guys weren't kidding. That spider rocks.

Now start hanging it from lighting fixtures at work to frighten coworkers.

Dat banana ammo belt!

EDIT: Looked at their review of Haunted House. 4 people rated that set as POOR? Huh? What does it take to get even a decent grade from them? 2000+ pieces plus 20 mini figs for under $100 or something? I can understand not being over the moon in love with it, but rating it as POOR seems a bit much.

ghostmind

Now start hanging it from lighting fixtures at work to frighten coworkers.

Dat banana ammo belt!

EDIT: Looked at their review of Haunted House. 4 people rated that set as POOR? Huh? What does it take to get even a decent grade from them? 2000+ pieces plus 20 mini figs for under $100 or something? I can understand not being over the moon in love with it, but rating it as POOR seems a bit much.

Some people just want to watch the world burn. Either that or they can't read or are deathly afraid of monsters.

I can't get into the monsters themes but I can see the appeal. The only one I do like though is the werewolf one.

I got the space girl and rocker girl from the minifigures and they have easily become my favorite non lisceneds figures. I do hope they reuse the rocker girl hair for future stuff. Might get another n make David Bowie or something.

Still waiting for Hobbit sets to drop in price in my area... None yet :( really want that bag end and Warg attack

I'm only a bit worried. I highly doubt LEGO would stop selling a set that is selling well and is barely 1 year old, especially with Halloween not too far away. My guess is they will ramp up making more of those sets closer to Halloween. I will definitely get the set during Fall double points if the set is still around.

ghostmind

Oh oh oh! Thank you.

I could never figure out why the cheese slopes looked so strange on its chest (textured).

Turns out they are the 1x2 plates with a cheese slope on the end.

I love the flick-fire configuration on this set. For once they get it right.

By the way, this is a Mark Stafford set - previously he has designed the Samurai Mech, the Fire Mech and had a hand in most of the Alien Conquest sets.

ghostmind

Here's the latest Chima minifig checklist.

HJ4zi9Y.jpg

I can't resist the Gorilla Tribe. If the theme continues in 2014 and they bring in the Rhino Tribe, I will have to get them too. We could also see the Bear tribe and Beaver tribe next year, and once the new Cartoon Network show kicks off in July other tribes could be added.

Jimbro72

By the way, this is a Mark Stafford set - previously he has designed the Samurai Mech, the Fire Mech and had a hand in most of the Alien Conquest sets.

Just curious, but where exactly can you find who designs all these sets and what else they've designed for Lego? I'm talking all the Lego sets in general, not just the Chima theme.

ghostmind

Just curious, but where exactly can you find who designs all these sets and what else they've designed for Lego? I'm talking all the Lego sets in general, not just the Chima theme.

I just get it from bits-and-pieces around the web, such as Brickset, the LEGO wiki, LEGO's website, designer videos, message boards, etc. Some of the designers, such as Jamie Berard, Marcos Bessa or Mark Stafford I have committed to memory, so when their name comes up I have a general understanding of their set history.

I would really like to see someone tackle a website dedicated to sourcing and indexing the designers though.

So I built Bug Obliterator yesterday and everyone is right, it's fantastic. It's just so cool and detailed, and the play features (launching the car, raising its missiles, lowering the plane's cockpit and sweeping out the wings) are just so cool I keep idly separating it and swooshing the plane around. I remember in PhoncipleBone's review he didn't apply the stickers, however as I always do I did on mine and I love the little details they add, such as how the tiles on top of each cockpit are meant to be shield generators. I'll definitely have to pick up the Galactic Titan sometime, and would like to get Vermin Vaporizer and Hive Crawler sometime if budget allows.

That gorilla mech looks cool and isn't badly priced, I too love how the chest opens to reveal the flick missiles. And looking at that sheet and seeing all the minifigs... Well maybe it's the furry in me, but my interest in that line is sort of rising now, haha.

iuuk

White House, dude. White House. Much bigger and more detailed than the box lets on.

The repetition does not hurt my enjoyment for the most part. Repetition usually yields really great looking results in the end. Just look at Tower Bridge and Grand Emporium. I do HATE the squared off binding on the instructions though. Impossible to just lay on the table beside me while I build. I have to hold it open and keep picking it up instead of just thumbing through.
The White House and Brandenburger Tor are the best looking architecture sets, but unlike everyone else I'm actually partial to the Opera House. It's a fun build and an interesting interpretation of the real thing.

I'm still a bit bitter about the series though. I've got most sets available, but have no way of obtaining the John Hancock Center for a decent price. Stupid completist nature.

Chuck

Still without luck

HJ4zi9Y.jpg

I can't resist the Gorilla Tribe. If the theme continues in 2014 and they bring in the Rhino Tribe, I will have to get them too. We could also see the Bear tribe and Beaver tribe next year, and once the new Cartoon Network show kicks off in July other tribes could be added.

The fox and skunk appear to be referees.

HJ4zi9Y.jpg

what's the cheapest way to get some of the gator chima guys? I nave a moc in mind that I might want to make.

also, I dont care for the gorilla stuff but I love those fist pieces

Jimbro72

I just get it from bits-and-pieces around the web, such as Brickset, the LEGO wiki, LEGO's website, designer videos, message boards, etc. Some of the designers, such as Jamie Berard, Marcos Bessa or Mark Stafford I have committed to memory, so when their name comes up I have a general understanding of their set history.

I would really like to see someone tackle a website dedicated to sourcing and indexing the designers though.

Thanks for the info. And I agree, it would be cool to see a site listing every designer who's worked for Lego with a list of every set they've worked on. I would think Lego themselves would want a section on their website that has bio's of all their designers with at least some of the highlights of what they've been responsible for.

ghostmind

what's the cheapest way to get some of the gator chima guys? I nave a moc in mind that I might want to make.

also, I dont care for the gorilla stuff but I love those fist pieces

Other than Bricklink'ing them?

70006 Cragger's Command Ship is often around $60 on Amazon. You get three crocs plus a great olive-green ship hull (and assorted pieces) which would be perfect for military-based MOC's.

70014 Croc Swamp Hideout is not out in NorthAm yet (I think), but it will net you three crocs as well for around $60.

Jimbro72

This reminds me, my local TRU has a box damaged Falcon for $150. I really want that ship to complete my OT ships from the 2011/2012 series but it just doesn't speak to me. It's also on sale at the same store (undamaged for $159).

I know I'll regret not getting it but it's hard to pull the trigger.

If you don't care about box condition, Amazon Warehouse Deals now has a couple of them for sale at $118.83

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon/dp/B004P95ABG/ref=sr_1_13?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=merchant&ie=UTF8&qid=1370628741&sr=1-13&keywords=lego

Edit: Actually, they have a lot of good sets listed there now including Town Hall, UCS R2, and an SSD. I'm sure they'll go quickly, though.

Other than Bricklink'ing them?

70006 Cragger's Command Ship is often around $60 on Amazon. You get three crocs plus a great olive-green ship hull (and assorted pieces) which would be perfect for military-based MOC's.

70014 Croc Swamp Hideout is not out in NorthAm yet (I think), but it will net you three crocs as well for around $60.

What's the cheapest for one of them without bricklinking them? I just need one croc head but probably cragger

If you don't care about box condition, Amazon Warehouse Deals now has a couple of them for sale at $118.83

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon/dp/B004P95ABG/ref=sr_1_13?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=merchant&ie=UTF8&qid=1370628741&sr=1-13&keywords=lego

Edit: Actually, they have a lot of good sets listed there now including Town Hall, UCS R2, and an SSD. I'm sure they'll go quickly, though.

Thanks. I may bite the bullet and have it shipped to my US office.

HJ4zi9Y.jpg

I fear we may not see the Rhino. That is would be my favorite one. I just wish they had more generic heads without all the tribal markings. Skunk, Fox, Gorillas! Oh my! I'm getting at least one of each.

awesome, thx

Also to note, there will be a polybag, but those can be hard to come by when the come out. Also, Chima isn't selling extremely well. They will have a buy 2 get 1 free on Speedorz later this month at LEGO store. That's about 33% off each. Also, I expect some good clearance on the Speedorz eventually. If you check Amazon, some of the Speedorz have decent discounts on occassion. Sets seem to be selling OK as I hardly see those discounted as much as Speedorz.

http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?Theme=Legends of Chima

That is a LOT of Chima, I didn't realize there were so many different figures already. Makes me long for a Fabuland update.

Chima is the Fabuland update.

DJ_Lae

According to the Lego flyer I got in the mail the other day, Southgate's Lego store finally opens on the 14th.

I'm leaving on the 14th for vacation so I won't be here. I'd love to get one of those Lego store sets.

Oh well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't like the X Wing like that. Just looks thrown in there because that was the only space they had. If it were a slightly different angle and if the wings were open I would love it.

The angle the standard set has is fine for me (lets you display it either horizontally or tilted)

Jimbro72

It has arrived....

8980431915_b447b580f5.jpg

Also got my S@H order with the Train Station, 16 series 10 figs (about to open now), free Jor-El fig and yet another Chima Speedorz starter set like they were giving out with the May 4th stuff. Didn't really need a 3rd one of those.

Edit: Upon opening the series 10 figs, no Mr Gold and only 11 of the 16 figs with 5 dups. Am now missing Librarian, Paintball guy, Sad Clown, Painter/Decorator and the Trendsetter. The dups I got were Tomahawk Warrior, Warrior Woman and 3 extra Revolutionary Soldiers. Could have been worse. At least they were all army builder types, I guess.

orthanc review

EDIT: watched the lego set overview videos finally for LOTR... damn, seeing the couble black gate makes me want to get it, but at a non sale price the sets are hard to swallow... $120 at least... probably good to wait for a BOGO 50% to do that.

Top Bottom