• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

awesome, thx

Talk about timing. This is a brown one though. I assume you prefer the olive green ones as I do.

http://toysnbricks.com/crugs-swamp-jet-polybag-30252-now-available-in-united-states/

LEGO-30252-Legends-of-Chima-Crugs-Swamp-Jet-Polybag-Set-Toysnbricks-1024x478.jpg

R-User!

So if you already owned Helms Deep sealed, and you could get another one for 100.00 bucks but it was opened but had everything in it, would you pick it up or just let it be?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So if you already owned Helms Deep sealed, and you could get another one for 100.00 bucks but it was opened but had everything in it, would you pick it up or just let it be?

Are you looking to sell the unopened one later?

TigerKiddo, the coupon arrived today. Thank you. Now the long wait for Orthanc. I would drive to the store this weekend if only they had the Titan. :(

neonglow

I would pass. You can probably still find deals on Helm's Deep for $100 new. Might be different at end of the year though.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
You could keep checking Amazon Warehouse Deals for one. I got mine on there about a month ago and paid just under $100 for it. Box had slight damage but was still factory sealed.

Do you guys search for specific sets on there or just LEGO in general.

Jimbro72

Do you guys search for specific sets on there or just LEGO in general.

I just do a general search by Lego and then click on the Lego brand link on the left to further refine the search. Usually there is about 100-120 items on there at any time. When I think to and have time I try to search a few times throughout the day to see if anything new has popped up.

Jimbro72

I want to kill you with my jealousy. I check it daily but apparently at bad times.

Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I got lucky that day as a lot of times the deals go quickly for certain sets. I've missed out on getting a Vampyre Castle on AWD several times until I finally just bought it from the regular site to get it over with.

I picked up Ghost Train tonight to complete my Monster Fighters collection.
It is also raining like hell here and I have the weekend off. I hate knowing that I have boxes of unbuilt sets waiting for Halloween to be built. They have been calling to me from the other room for months.

Screw it. I am building Monster Fighters stuff this weekend. Starting Vampyre Castle now. I am bored and need something fun to do on a rainy weekend and don't have the brain capacity for MOCing.

I can also justify it by saying that if I know what the sets are like before hand I can more easily visualize a MOC landscape to house them all on when Halloween comes.

Finished first book of Vampyre Castle. Yeah, this thing is awesome. Not only does it have perches for the Manbats to hang upside down from, but it has a witch's cauldron, exploding wall, and trap door to a spike pit for anyone foolish enough to find the treasure map; but it has a torture chamber to string up prisoners? How could a sick mind like me not love this set? Peeking at the second book, it seems the cool stuff hasn't even been built yet.

Also, this set doesn't have flick missiles. It has a flick spider.

So what do you all think, did the move to the wastelands (aka community) harm our little merry band?
I almost feel like it had little influence as we were a self contained group living of the same subscribed members for a while now. never the less I am 100% sure it will make getting fresh blood in here much more difficult...
:(

R-User!

So what do you all think, did the move to the wastelands (aka community) harm our little merry band?
I almost feel like it had little influence as we were a self contained group living of the same subscribed members for a while now. never the less I am 100% sure it will make getting fresh blood in here much more difficult...
:(

I think it may be more difficult. But you know the rules are: New News, New Thread. So like when Ewok Village was released, we should have posted a new thread; perhaps titled: New Star Wars Ewok Village Set announced! 249.99 1990 Pieces!

Then the opening post would have all the pictures and the YouTube announce video embedded, and then the specs for the set in list form and of course a beautiful link to this here glorious thread with an invite to those who may not have noticed us before; and I remember seeing at least 3 people in the last year that I've been participating say something along the lines of "I never noticed this thread before!", blah blah etc... :)

I think doing that no more than once per major announcement will help us scoop up a few more good folks like Jimbro along the way. Plus even if we don't get new people to join and participate in this thread, at least we get to pop in, post a bit in the OT and see the "light for the trees". I think it would be exciting! :)

We could take turns creating the announcement threads so that it doesnt put the burden on one person...

Soul4ger

My friends in LEGO, I have plunged head first down the rabbit hole, only to find that it is very deep and so very dark...

Speaking of rabbits:

Zombie Bunny is perplexed by carrot. Does it have ... BRAAAAAAAAINS??

Finished making some stands for my various Star Wars ships. They're not as good as I'd like as I was mostly limited by what my local LEGO Store PAB had available, but they do the job:

very cool, so you got it all in a PAB wall, your lucky to find so much stuff you can use, I never find what I need :p

Mr Gold stopped at $663. Still pretty happy with that, and it went to a UK buyer. Once Paypal finalizes the transaction, this will go to the Lego fund.

I'm thinking of skipping Wizard Battle. It's neat, but do I really get anything there that isn't with Orthanc? From what I can see, the throne and lights are identical, you're just missing out on the Saruman flick switch and the rotating Palantir. Oh, I guess it doesn't have the Eye.

Currently going with one full Council, one loose without figures, and probably one full Black Gate simply because I would have to pay half of the price for just Aragorn and Gandalf.

Finished making some stands for my various Star Wars ships. They're not as good as I'd like as I was mostly limited by what my local LEGO Store PAB had available, but they do the job:

Like the way you've used different angles for each ship.

Making a stand for the B-Wing currently but local PAB was not so great so a few orders from Bricklink need to come in before it's finished. Will show some pics soon.

Ironmask

I'm thinking of skipping Wizard Battle. It's neat, but do I really get anything there that isn't with Orthanc? From what I can see, the throne and lights are identical, you're just missing out on the Saruman flick switch and the rotating Palantir. Oh, I guess it doesn't have the Eye.

Currently going with one full Council, one loose without figures, and probably one full Black Gate simply because I would have to pay half of the price for just Aragorn and Gandalf.

I'm happy that your auction is doing good. if i was you i'd still grab that little set. The orthanc is majestic but wastes a lot of space, maybe someday you'll want to make space in your room but still want a little set on that spot :)

I just bought Wizard Battle yesterday...mostly for that amazing eye.

Why doesn't LEGO put the model designer info in the instructions or on the box? They do with the Architecture series. It would be nice if their designers got a bit more recognition. I am tired of reading about the same designer on the Architecture line. Of course, it also shows that he designs almost all the ones that I love.

Ironmask

Why doesn't LEGO put the model designer info in the instructions or on the box? They do with the Architecture series. It would be nice if their designers got a bit more recognition. I am tired of reading about the same designer on the Architecture line. Of course, it also shows that he designs almost all the ones that I love.

nice idea, but it's unfair for them. If a designer gets a bad streak of sets, it'll be cursed for life.
It's best to remember that some sets are restricted in design due to licensing issues, retail price vs cost of production or target's age (like AFOL wanting only star wars sets and kids wanting the cool features like flick missiles, robots, badass characters)

Jimbro72

Some great building ahead there - what are you going to tackle first? Are you saving the holiday sets for their respective holidays?

Yep, as tempted as I am to crack open the HH first, I'm going to do what many in here have said and save the holiday sets for later this fall and winter and build all that I have from those themes.

For now, I'm probably going to start with Pet Shop as soon as time allows. That, or Horizon Express if I decide to go with something a little smaller.

nice idea, but it's unfair for them. If a designer gets a bad streak of sets, it'll be cursed for life.
It's best to remember that some sets are restricted in design due to licensing issues, retail price vs cost of production or target's age (like AFOL wanting only star wars sets and kids wanting the cool features like flick missiles, robots, badass characters)
I feel the opposite. A good set is a good set. A designer pulling off a great set with limited piece count and price is very impressive. Just as infuriating as it is when you have a huge set with average design. The designer should get credit no matter what. The quality of the set should shine through.

And as far as what AFOL want, there is no pleasing a lot of them. If they can't recognize that the sets are aimed at a broad age range and tastes and not just their whims, that is their problem.

Was this set as awesome as many others on here gushed about? Yes.

Looks so much better sitting in front of you than it does in pics or on display in a store. So many neat little details in the set that you can't really see unless you are building it.
The set just has a lot of personality, and is a great playset for the figures.

Two best features: the organ in the tower and the torture chamber.

I am late to the party on this one, but everyone was correct. This was a fantastic set.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Whew! I didn't realize LEGO-GAF got moved to OT Community! Thought I lost you guys. :(

Since the thread has slowed down for a bit, I wanted to show off a cool Kre-O creation. I know you Kre-O fans are out there! I remember the original OT.

In anticipation of the new Fall of Cybertron Titan Class Metroplex, I built my own custom Kre-O Metroplex with his little buddy Scamper based on G1 Metroplex and the FoC one.

I'll link it so that I don't spam the LEGO thread with Kre-O stuff.

Custom Kre-O Metroplex with Scamper

I promise it's worth looking at! :)

Ainaurdur

Vermin Vaporizer has been constructed, ready for deployment.

I want to try and wait at least a week or two before I open the Obliterator, don't want a new set drought to feel too long.

ghostmind

Was this set as awesome as many others on here gushed about? Yes.

Looks so much better sitting in front of you than it does in pics or on display in a store. So many neat little details in the set that you can't really see unless you are building it.
The set just has a lot of personality, and is a great playset for the figures.

Two best features: the organ in the tower and the torture chamber.

I am late to the party on this one, but everyone was correct. This was a fantastic set.

The Vampyre Castle is just fun to build - something about it was so enjoyable.

Ainaurdur

Vermin Vaporizer is a great set. Bug Obliterator is better. You know you want dat Orange Team tonight.
I do, and I am about to give in!

Curious to see if your train impressions match mine once you have finished it.
I helped my nephew build it, was not too impressed. Some parts repetitive, some just kinda boring. I knew when I first saw the MH theme that I probably wouldn't care for the Train, and aiding in the build, my suspicions were confirmed. But I admit the flapping wings are a highlight. Tis not all bad.

I still kinda want to jump in on Vampyre Castle before it disappears forever though. Trying to see if I can find it for less than $86. I'll keep an eye on eBay for most of June, since I have a $25 off coupon that expires the 30th.
I just used my coupon to get Goblin King Battle for about $43, shipped. I could not pass up the price. My set priority autopilot kicked in and made me ignore the desire for Vampyre Castle yet again.

Top Bottom