• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Draxal

I think the Sith Fury interceptor has to be my top of last year, it's build was more fun than the Quinjets (basically the wing design on the interceptor was insanely fun) and it's just simply heftier than the xwing.

Thanks for that. Beat me to it. But after getting the B-Wing, it would replace the X-Wing in my top 5. Haunted House is still king.

I think the Sith Fury interceptor has to be my top of last year, it's build was more fun than the Quinjets (basically the wing design on the interceptor was insanely fun) and it's just simply heftier than the xwing.

The wings were definitely the highlight of the Sith Fury. Very, very cool. With Quinjet it was all about the body construction though. Both are very swooshable, but Quinjet felt more durable. The Fury is hefty, but still feels fragile through the middle. The Quinjet feels like I could throw it to the floor and very little would come off of it.

ghostmind

Thanks for that. Beat me to it. But after getting the B-Wing, it would replace the X-Wing in my top 5. Haunted House is still king.

The wings were definitely the highlight of the Sith Fury. Very, very cool. With Quinjet it was all about the body construction though. Both are very swooshable, but Quinjet felt more durable. The Fury is hefty, but still feels fragile through the middle. The Quinjet feels like I could throw it to the floor and very little would come off of it.

The Sith Fury was a contender for Spot #5 in my list - Unexpected Journey beat it because that set just makes me feel good. Plus I was still riding on that new Hobbit movie wave.

I'm hoping that we get a bunch of Top-5's at the end of this year - it's really cool to read everyone's justifications for ranking as they do.

The Sith Fury was a contender for Spot #5 in my list - Unexpected Journey beat it because that set just makes me feel good. Plus I was still riding on that new Hobbit movie wave.

I'm hoping that we get a bunch of Top-5's at the end of this year - it's really cool to read everyone's justifications for ranking as they do.

justification for all rankings: i can't afford more than 5 sets in a year :(

justification for all rankings: i can't afford more than 5 sets in a year :(

Knight.png

Then you must choose. But choose wisely...

Sith Fury was top 10 stuff. As was Unexpected Gathering. But I agree, something about the way it makes you feel as you build it and how you feel at completion plays into the ranking. That is why I am still riding the glow of Hive Crawler. I still have fun with that set.

I have been thinking about top 5 for this year, and thinking that I might do two top 5's this year. A true top 5, and a list that does not allow more than one set from a specific theme. In other words, only ONE Star Wars set or ONE Galaxy Squad set will be in the top 5 on that list. Something to spread the love.

Jimbro72

Excellent! Thanks for that. Both lists, too, as I was interested in yours, as well. I see I have some great building ahead of me based on those reviews. I have most of what was on your lists but sadly have only put together the R2. And I just don't know if I can break down and get the quinjet, despite it ranking so high on your lists. The completist tendencies I have would make buying a single set from a theme difficult to then not want more from it and I definitely do not need more themes to get into.

Excellent! Thanks for that. Both lists, too, as I was interested in yours, as well. I see I have some great building ahead of me based on those reviews. I have most of what was on your lists but sadly have only put together the R2. And I just don't know if I can break down and get the quinjet, despite it ranking so high on your lists. The completist tendencies I have would make buying a single set from a theme difficult to then not want more from it and I definitely do not need more themes to get into.

Quinjet, bro. Quinjet. It was the biggest surprise for me last year. I bought it solely for a parts and mini figure pack, but the build was so awesome that I could not bring myself to take it apart for months.
It is also the set that makes me seek out anything designed by Marcos Bessa. After Quinjet, his name alone is selling me on a set.

ghostmind

LRC6CTn.jpg

The new LEGO tools, included with sets 60025 and 60027 are made of a harder sturdier plastic than the old ones and are separate elements - not connected by a sprue.

Jimbro72

Quinjet, bro. Quinjet. It was the biggest surprise for me last year. I bought it solely for a parts and mini figure pack, but the build was so awesome that I could not bring myself to take it apart for months.
It is also the set that makes me seek out anything designed by Marcos Bessa. After Quinjet, his name alone is selling me on a set.

Damn, I guess maybe I might look for a good deal on one then. It is a cool looking ship, I'm just not into the marvel or dc super heroes like I am with star wars, so it's been an easier pass for me because of it. Any one have any guesses on if this one will still be available for a while or gone by years end?

Jimbro72

Just about to start building the Pet Shop. A little sad to see numbered bags but it might also help contain the mess as I doubt I'll be finishing it this weekend.

Just about to start building the Pet Shop. A little sad to see numbered bags but it might also help contain the mess as I doubt I'll be finishing it this weekend.
Pet Shop is god tier though. So glorious. It also has one of my favorite single details from all the in print modulars. The second floor of the town house part. It involves the mini figure. You will know when you get to it.

Dat second floor of Fire Brigade is still my favorite build ever. That floor alone makes that set worth the price.
1. orthanc
2-5. MOCS of food so i can stare and imagine what afffording dinner would be like.
Orthanc is a given. I am itching to drive to the Lego store on Sunday, but must be strong for one more week to go get Orthanc.

shadow29

Neo Member
Picked up Swarm Interceptor. Pretty neat little set. Been holding out on Galaxy Squad because I've been catching up on some other series. Probably won't go too heavy on it anyways. I'm going to order the Bug Obliterator off of Amazon for 62 since its a good price. Probably pick up the Mech when I find it in stores. Maybe the big one you've been stalking when it comes out too. That'll probably be i though. While the Bugs look pretty solid, I don't think I am really interested in picking them up. Its a shame but it looks like Ill miss out on Red and Green Folks for now.

PhonBone tells no lies. The Quinjet is amazing. I wish I hadn't waited so long to pick it up. I paid full MSRP, but it's so worth it.

Picked up Swarm Interceptor. Pretty neat little set. Been holding out on Galaxy Squad because I've been catching up on some other series. Probably won't go too heavy on it anyways. I'm going to order the Bug Obliterator off of Amazon for 62 since its a good price. Probably pick up the Mech when I find it in stores. Maybe the big one you've been stalking when it comes out too. That'll probably be i though. While the Bugs look pretty solid, I don't think I am really interested in picking them up. Its a shame but it looks like Ill miss out on Red and Green Folks for now.

For bugs, at least pickup the Crater Creeper. Great $20 set that looks awesome and has a fun "pincer" feature. And you should strongly consider the Vermin Vaporizer is you like mechs.

If you want a cheap, but awesome bug, get the Space Swarmer. Very solid set for only $13. But if you have the means and get only one bug, Hive Crawler is it. Just an awesome build, but the moving legs made me give a maniacal lil laugh the first time I moved it on the floor. It made me feel like a kid again.
And it terrifies one of my cats.
PhonBone tells no lies. The Quinjet is amazing. I wish I hadn't waited so long to pick it up. I paid full MSRP, but it's so worth it.
Ghostmind swears by it too. Maybe not as fanatically as me though. But it is god tier stuff, and you don't expect it either.

Gentlemen, man your e-carts.
It only makes sense. If they see a big enough increase in orders, I see it being permanent. It makes me want to order online instead of spending $20 in gas to go to the store, but that $20 means I don't have to deal with FedEx. The debacle during Christmas and New Years has made me want to NEVER deal with my local driver again.
Of course, it might be better now. Might try in July and see if they improved.

Ponn

Banned

You don't say?

Purchase Date: 06/08/2013
Walmart.com
Order #########
Item Order Status & Delivery Date
1 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Wolverine's Chopper Showdown Play Set
Add to Remind Me List

Processing
Your order should be ready for pickup by 10:00 AM, 06/09/2013.
Item Order Status & Delivery Date
1 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Quinjet Aerial Battle Play Set
Add to Remind Me List

Processing
Your order should be ready for pickup by 10:00 AM, 06/09/2013.

I've actually been eyeing it since I got the Iron Man sets weeks ago. I'm going to pick up a loose hawkeye off Amazon, they are going for just a couple bucks.

I got my Lego.com order, got a free Speedorz set, will probably give it as a xmas gift to my friends kid. Got both the free Jor-El and free Iron Man polybags. Also got my Hulk Keychain to do surgery on and Orc Forge and Elrond sets.

Draxal

Yeah, I don't think the fury is that swooshable while the Quinjet is very very swooshable. I just think I like very fun builds (non UCS xwing nose; fury wings); and I rate that as the most important part of the process. If swooshability was the metric I used to judge them; the Quinjet would destroy the Fury.

Quinjet is the set from last year I am trying to champion. A set that I and many others had written off, but wound up blowing me away.
This year it is Hive Crawler. At least until some other set I had written off comes along to blow my mind.

Probably the #2 for "low expectations, mega high awesome satisfaction" this year is Silver Mine Shootout. I blame Ghostmind for gushing so much about it that made me grab that ASAP. His tastes and mine line up pretty well.

I still get the dealing we will get Sauron's tower as well at some point. Would be a perfect compliment... Plus I would just want to see how or if they do the eye atop it.

Speaking of The Eye I threw the one that came in Wizard Battle into my minifigure series 9 Cyclops and it takes him from cute to scary

I still get the dealing we will get Sauron's tower as well at some point. Would be a perfect compliment... Plus I would just want to see how or if they do the eye atop it.

Speaking of The Eye I threw the one that came in Wizard Battle into my minifigure series 9 Cyclops and it takes him from cute to scary

image.jpg

The cyclops needs to stop sitting at the computer all day. He's got red eye. I am mesmerized by the Eye of Sauron. I can see why Saruman converted. It's a great piece to play with your minifigs. Man, $1.80+ for that eye piece on Bricklink.

Jimbro72

Pet Shop is god tier though. So glorious. It also has one of my favorite single details from all the in print modulars. The second floor of the town house part. It involves the mini figure. You will know when you get to it.

Dat second floor of Fire Brigade is still my favorite build ever. That floor alone makes that set worth the price.

I agree about the second floor of FB. I enjoyed the whole build but that second floor is where is really shines.

Just finished the #1 bags of Pet Shop and already see where all the praise comes from. So many cool details and clever techniques already. The toilet, the staircase, the front porch awning, all good stuff. Looking forward to that second floor now, which will need to wait for another day.

The cyclops needs to stop sitting at the computer all day. He's got red eye. I am mesmerized by the Eye of Sauron. I can see why Saruman converted. It's a great piece to play with your minifigs. Man, $1.80+ for that eye piece on Bricklink.

It's worth it honestly... It's the first minifig head in a while that I just want to put on different bodies and stuff ^_^

I agree about the second floor of FB. I enjoyed the whole build but that second floor is where is really shines.

Just finished the #1 bags of Pet Shop and already see where all the praise comes from. So many cool details and clever techniques already. The toilet, the staircase, the front porch awning, all good stuff. Looking forward to that second floor now, which will need to wait for another day.

The feature that I love on the second floor of Pet Shop is incredibly simple. No weird technique or anything. Just a simple little thing that adds so much life to the second floor. I spent a few steps wondering what the hell was going on, then once you put one simple brick in place and place the mini figure in, it all clicks.

EDIT: Finished Ghost Train. Cool set, but nothing to really write home about. A lot of neat pieces in it, and I am a sucker for Ghost mini figures. The Monster Fighter vehicle was pretty sweet though. Better than the one in Vampyre Castle.
But the train itself was just above average. Not great, not terrible. The main engine was obviously the best part, but overall I would say it is a B for this set.

R-User!

If you want a cheap, but awesome bug, get the Space Swarmer. Very solid set for only $13. But if you have the means and get only one bug, Hive Crawler is it. Just an awesome build, but the moving legs made me give a maniacal lil laugh the first time I moved it on the floor. It made me feel like a kid again.
And it terrifies one of my cats.

Ghostmind swears by it too. Maybe not as fanatically as me though. But it is god tier stuff, and you don't expect it either.

That's the real reason you like it isn't it?... :)

Finished the Quinjet (my first build outside!). It was hot indoors so built it outside on this nice (almost) summer night in LA while grillin burgers and listening to some of my fav bands.

Not as fun of a build as the Sith Fury, but the end result rocks a bit more and I'm happy to have all the avengers in Lego form.

This pic makes me wish I built that Spidey set for to add Fury. Thinking Arkham next Saturday night.

Fred Myers still have sale on Monster Fighters, and it seems no one is buying them even at discount. I am fighting all my urge to pick these up. There are so many new Star Wars set coming out this month and while I find Monster Fighters set to be very interesting I just don't have much connection like I do with Star Wars.

I am not going to ask you guys what I should do because you guys are just bunch of enablers! I might just pick up the coffin car, but man the train set for $55.00 seems like such a bargain!

Fred Myers still have sale on Monster Fighters, and it seems no one is buying them even at discount. I am fighting all my urge to pick these up. There are so many new Star Wars set coming out this month and while I find Monster Fighters set to be very interesting I just don't have much connection like I do with Star Wars.

I am not going to ask you guys what I should do because you guys are just bunch of enablers! I might just pick up the coffin car, but man the train set for $55.00 seems like such a bargain!

It will help you beef up your supply of ghosts...and it's a train...for ghosts, doesn't get any better than that!

Kryten

An hour and a half of sorting the 8043 Excavator (with Breaking Bad playing in the background). I've since separated out the very long black girder pieces as well. For the Aussies and Kiwi's, these are large 8 bay Fischer compartment organisers that I picked up 2 for $20 at Super Cheap Auto. I used them for sorting the Super Car pieces as well (only used two that time, not 3).

8043-before.jpg

8043-after.jpg

Silly bucket! Why u no fit?

Knackered now, building can commence in earnest tomorrow.

I hope it's permanent. I think this may be a test run for a few months. See how much their orders increase and stay profitable.

I like to think I had a small role in this happening. I took the time to send them an email saying basically, "bro, your shipping rates are ridiculous. Every other store gives free shipping above a certain point. you're losing business left and right. you should try it. I know volume matters for retail and you probably do less business direct than via amazon, but no consumer gives a crap."

edit: And I'm sure it will work on me sooner rather than later...

HULK FREEEEE!!
I finally managed to get Hulk from his key chain. What I did was thread a screwdriver through the link closest to the head, stand on it and pull :)
The hair doesn't look too bad with a hole in it, but I might get another one off Bricklink.

R-User!

Off topic: we FINALLY moved into our first home... I'm soooo effin tired... Just want to sleep all week... :(

But :) we have a New House!!! 0_o

On topic: I have no LEGO on display :(, and I won't realistically have time to build any anytime in the next few weeks....

Bright side... I may get to build Imperial Shuttle for the first time for Fathers Day, but I'm not sure... If not than for sure in July at some point!!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Off topic: we FINALLY moved into our first home... I'm soooo effin tired... Just want to sleep all week... :(

On topic: I have no LEGO on display :(, and I won't realistically have time to build any anytime in the next few weeks....

Bright side... I may get to build Imperial Shuttle for the first time for Fathers Day, but I'm not sure... If not than for sure in July at some point!!

Congrats!! Enjoy the new digs!! Can't wait until we have enough money save to buy or build a house.

R-User!

Congrats!! My fiancée and I just started the process of looking for a place to live. It can be daunting. I'm sure it's a lot of work for you now, but think of the mancave privileges once you get settled in!

Oh yes! The Man Cave! Thanks for the well wish!

Congrats!! Enjoy the new digs!! Can't wait until we have enough money save to buy or build a house.

Thank you. It's nice to hear someone be excited for us! :) Takes the load off a little.

But that Lawn is laughing at me...

Ainaurdur

Thank you. It's nice to hear someone be excited for us! :) Takes the load off a little.

But that Lawn is laughing at me...

Yes, congratulations!

I have a feeling if I ever get a house with a large lawn, it will be knee high weeds and the neighbors will like it! ;)

I am still mid-build on the Obliterator. Just finished the missile launcher on the rover and gave a test run. So good!

Yes, congratulations!

I have a feeling if I ever get a house with a large lawn, it will be knee high weeds and the neighbors will like it! ;)

I am still mid-build on the Obliterator. Just finished the missile launcher on the rover and gave a test run. So good!

You aren't even to the good part of that set yet. :)

And congrats R-User!

Jimbro72

I have finished the entire town house part of the Pet Shop and yep, I know exactly which part you are talking about now. Funny, too, as those first parts that attach to the 2nd floor I thought were odd bits of furniture but once you put that one piece up and then add the minifig to the room, it all makes sense. I sat there for a moment, taking it all in when it finally dawned on me what those things were suppose to be next to the fig and thought, damn, that's a real nice touch there. Overall, loving the build so far and also the finished model now that I'm one half done with the set.

Congrats on the house! So will you be getting a whole room just for your collection?

Ponn

Banned
So I put Wolverine Chopper together while my slow cooker lasagna was...cooking. Eh, another chopper, i'm already starting to form a little armada of these things. This set is definitely about the figs which did not disappoint. Figpool just oozes awesome, he's hanging out with the orcs at Battle of Helms Deeps right now.

I may still put House of Elrond together tonight but i'm saying Quinjet for tomorrow during my E3 watching marathon.

So this VIP program is very confusing. I signed up awhile ago, I had my lego ID and was signed in during checkout but I can't see anywhere to check if I earned VIP points on my purchase.

So I put Wolverine Chopper together while my slow cooker lasagna was...cooking. Eh, another chopper, i'm already starting to form a little armada of these things. This set is definitely about the figs which did not disappoint. Figpool just oozes awesome, he's hanging out with the orcs at Battle of Helms Deeps right now.

I may still put House of Elrond together tonight but i'm saying Quinjet for tomorrow during my E3 watching marathon.

So this VIP program is very confusing. I signed up awhile ago, I had my lego ID and was signed in during checkout but I can't see anywhere to check if I earned VIP points on my purchase.
The points show at the top right corner of the shop screen. You can also look at your purchase history and see what you earned points with.

Top Bottom