• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

Holy crap!!!!! That looks.......very large.

I get the feeling that this is one of those sets that pics just don't do it justice. It will look even more impressive in person.

Geez, that price is insane.
Well, it is fair. I would expect $300 with that piece count. Probably because it isn't hundreds of cheese slopes like Tower Bridge makes it look like less of a deal, but there seems to be a high number of large parts in this and in unique colors.

Jamie says that it is the most difficult model he has ever worked on in his career.
It looks it. And if he says that: set of the forever!

Jamie says that it is the most difficult model he has ever worked on in his career.

It does looks very intricate.

Are you going to make an OT thread for it?

Well, it is fair. I would expect $300 with that piece count. Probably because it isn't hundreds of cheese slopes like Tower Bridge makes it look like less of a deal, but there seems to be a high number of large parts in this and in unique colors.

Good point. Im buying it for sure.

SpeedNut

Can anyone take a guess how much longer Tower Bridge will be around? It's on my list, but my cash flow is all sorts of fubar at the moment.

ghostmind

It's beautiful and it looks like such an interesting build.

This reveal settles it - I'm going to seek out and get the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower, so I can have the complete landmark series.

POAVdit.jpg

A considerably smaller amount of pieces than Tower Bridge.

I'm mixed on this one. It does look great from some angles, but others not as much. Definitely a nice looking set overall.
And it's almost surrounded by cheese slopes. Would have been "funny" if they used 1x1 cheese slopes instead of the 1x2 slopes.

ghostmind

I think Phon has a point with the pieces being more unique in type and color, but still it seems steep.

Taj Mahal retailed at $299 and it had almost 6000 pieces.

Some of the parts in the Opera House are pretty big though, larger than those in the previous models in this series. You are definitely paying a premium for those elements.

ghostmind

Did they mention a release date or did I just gloss over it?

More press release:

”The famous Australian landmark is latest structure to be added to LEGO® Creator Expert range. The set contains nearly 3,000 LEGO bricks, and will launch in September.

The LEGO Group is set to pay homage to one of the greatest buildings of the Twentieth Century when it debuts a striking new official Sydney Opera House model on 1 September 2013.

The construction skills of LEGO fans from around the world will be put to the test as they recreate the unmistakable rooflines and complex angled walls of the Opera House using advanced building techniques and a total of 2,989 LEGO bricks.

Scaling 28cm high x 63.5cm wide x 38cm deep, this authentic representation of the Opera House will even stay true to its iconic harbour surrounds with the introduction the LEGO Group’s largest blue stud baseplate ever along with an abundance of dark tan LEGO bricks including the rare 1x1x2/3 stud and 1x2x2/3 stud slopes.

The Opera House model joins the LEGO Creator Expert product range, which has previously seen the likes of the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower and Tower Bridge immortalised in LEGO bricks.”

ghostmind

LEGO CUUSOO Fall Review Results

Results of the Fall 2012 LEGO® Review

We’re excited to share the results of the Fall LEGO® Review. In September, three LEGO CUUSOO projects entered the second quarterly review period for projects that successfully reach 10,000 supporters. These three projects—the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, UCS Sandcrawler™, and Thinking with Portals!™—have been being considered for production by the LEGO Review Board.

21104 Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover- pending final name confirmation

It is with great pleasure we reveal that the next LEGO CUUSOO set will be the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, based upon the LEGO CUUSOO project by Perijove.

This project rose to popularity in late summer 2012, when the real Mars Curiosity Rover approached and landed on the planet Mars in its historic mission. The model designer, LEGO CUUSOO user Perijove is a Mechanical Engineer who worked on the actual Curiosity rover at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Perijove writes that he built and submitted the rover to further the educational outreach of the Mars Curiosity rover’s incredible mission, and to encourage greater public support for space exploration.

The final product is still in development. Exact pricing and availability is still being determined, so stay tuned for an update on when you can buy your own Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover in the coming months.

No UCS Sandcrawler, which is not surprising.

Ponn

Banned
Good lord that Opera House. That base plate, those windows, those curves. I've been staying away from the building and modular sets but I may have to make an exception for that. Where the hell would you put it?

Good lord that Opera House. That base plate, those windows, those curves. I've been staying away from the building and modular sets but I may have to make an exception for that. Where the hell would you put it?
It is nowhere near as wide as Tower Bridge, and it is only 16 studs deeper.

Ainaurdur

Sandcrawler Sadness. Moving on!

Seems like there is a slight scientific/exploration theme that Cuusoo has been sticking with so far. Could be coincidence, or team bias?

I like the choices they have made, but hope they are not so restrictive in the future.
I had to get the Hayabusa, I would have gotten the sub if it was made available in the US, I should pick up the MC set since I love the game... and I probably will get Curiosity.

ghostmind

Sandcrawler Sadness. Moving on!

Seems like there is a slight scientific/exploration theme that Cuusoo has been sticking with so far. Could be coincidence, or team bias?

I like the choices they have made, but hope they are not so restrictive in the future.
I had to get the Hayabusa, I would have gotten the sub if it was made available in the US, I should pick up the MC set since I love the game... and I probably will get Curiosity.

I am fine with the exploration theme they have going, though others may not be.

Since they are going this route, I'll pick up the Hayabusa as well, as it would look good in a display with the Curiosity Rover and the 10231 Space Shuttle.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

vader-nooooo.jpg

Edit: They didn't even really say anything about the sand crawler in the video. I will still hold onto hope that they will use this in a future build not related to Cuusoo

ghostmind

Edit: They didn't even really say anything about the sand crawler in the video. I will still hold onto hope that they will use this in a future build not related to Cuusoo

UCS Sandcrawler™
by mb_bricks
This is a project of epic proportions; a Sandcrawler that could potentially dwarf even the Taj Mahal, currently the largest LEGO set ever produced. Unfortunately we can’t approve this project in the LEGO Review based on our ongoing relationship and collaboration with Lucasfilm on LEGO Star Wars.

I would expect to see a Sandcrawler set at some point, as LEGO does like to update their previous SW sets, but it will be branded as the Star Wars theme, not CUUSOO.

Also:

Thinking with Portals
by Brickthing and Team Jigsaw
When this project was posted, Portal™ fans showed up in force to vote this to the top. As of today, the test results are not yet in; we’re still looking into the possibility of releasing a set based on the Thinking with Portals! Project. Once we have a decision, we’ll share it with you here.

Just watched the designer video. My god, it is beautiful.
The modular action of how it is put together, to the parts selection. It truly is grand and epic.

It is almost not fair to Marcos Bessa and his Ewok Village to release this on the same day.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I would expect to see a Sandcrawler set at some point, as LEGO does like to update their previous SW sets, but it will be branded as the Star Wars theme, not CUUSOO.

Also:

That was my thought process as well. They will just use cuusoo as a reference point to see that fans want it. Free ideas for a product they already have a license for. I fully suspect we already know the answer we will get for wet wires tumbler now. It'll be the same as this and the western town answer from last review.

shadow29

Neo Member
Was hoping for a cheaper price on the Opera House. Luckily I have been saving my VIP points for such a set. I have 80 now and after that Utah Lego store opens, I'll probably be able to save up around 100-120 after that opening weekend splurge. Can't wait.

R-User!

In a nice, dust free, glass-on-all-sides, display case! :)

Or on your mutha effin coffee table!

Dat centerpiece talking point!

Yeah I saw that, but I don't think LEGO was counting direct-channel LEGO Education products when they made that claim though.

Most likely not.

All I am thinking now is if I buy in September or wait a month for double VIP. Either way, whatever money I get for my birthday in August is going to the Ewok Village/Opera House fund.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Sidney Opera House looks very interesting to build! I don't really have anything special with the building itself so not getting it, although all those dark tan pieces will be very useful.

As expected, the UCS Sandcrawler is a no go, but I do hope we get Jawa minifigures again at some point. Not surprisingly the Mars Rover is accepted. Depending on the final model I'm definitely interested. I do hope the Portal 2 project will be accepted!

Ainaurdur

All I am thinking now is if I buy in September or wait a month for double VIP. Either way, whatever money I get for my birthday in August is going to the Ewok Village/Opera House fund.

I'd say the extra $25+ in VIP points are very much worth waiting the extra month. Surely there will be other things you could keep busy with during September?
You could spend the month working on a MOC or two! :)

I'd say the extra $25+ in VIP points are very much worth waiting the extra month. Surely there will be other things you could keep busy with during September?
You could spend the month working on a MOC or two! :)
Been holding off on Arkham until double VIP. But August and September could be when I finally destroy all MOCs and rebuild Tower Bridge.

Top Bottom