• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Holy mother of god. I have nowhere to put it, and it would cost me... well, an entire minifigure. But it's beautiful. And the modular construction is probably the most impressive thing. I would have thought that it would have to be completely solid to not fall apart as you lift it, but apparently Jamie is not only a builder but also an engineer.

neonglow

The Opera House looks good, but I'm not very interested in buying it. It feels like it fits more in the Architecture line than the Creator Expert line.

Curiosity always seemed the favourite to me, pleased they've picked it. Interesting they've not dismissed Portal but bearing in mind the next set of submissions look a bit dull, I wouldn't be surprised if Portal appears then.

Is it just me, or are all the Youtube Lego reviewers the same? Hyper OCD listings of everything. "This is the box, this is the bottom of the box, there is a picture here. You get five minifigures (slowly turns them all around). You get FIVE leafs, that's cool. You get a bunch of cheese slopes. There's a flick missile... oh, where did it go? It's a pretty cool set, but I would have preferred if it came with six minfigures."

Is there anyone who actually reviews stuff? Who compares with older things, points out improvements? Someone going into the creators of the set? Any actual criticism?

It also doesn't help that most also come across as either hyper nerds or fairly normal people who act silly for some reason (The Brick Show). Not that I should say anything, I've got my share of awkward videos, but with all these Lego fans around there should be someone who actually does a good presentation.

Obviously the official Lego presentations are more professional, but those guys are as nerdy as it gets and they still show real dedication and enthusiasm. That's what should be aimed for, I think.

Is it just me, or are all the Youtube Lego reviewers the same? Hyper OCD listings of everything. "This is the box, this is the bottom of the box, there is a picture here. You get five minifigures (slowly turns them all around). You get FIVE leafs, that's cool. You get a bunch of cheese slopes. There's a flick missile... oh, where did it go? It's a pretty cool set, but I would have preferred if it came with six minfigures."

Is there anyone who actually reviews stuff? Who compares with older things, points out improvements? Someone going into the creators of the set? Any actual criticism?

It also doesn't help that most also come across as either hyper nerds or fairly normal people who act silly for some reason (The Brick Show). Not that I should say anything, I've got my share of awkward videos, but with all these Lego fans around there should be someone who actually does a good presentation.

Obviously the official Lego presentations are more professional, but those guys are as nerdy as it gets and they still show real dedication and enthusiasm. That's what should be aimed for, I think.

You are totally right; I mostly avoid "reviews" for this reason.

They simply regurgitate box contents and then gripe about specific figs/pieces/parts that should have been included (or not, in the case of stickers). It would be great to get more informed opinions in terms of build characteristics or alternative arrangements which could have improved the sets.

ghostmind

Recently I've discovered LEGOJANG on YouTube - he's not exactly what you are looking for, but I've found his reviews to be more thoughtful than the other ones that are available.

Recently I've discovered LEGOJANG on YouTube - he's not exactly what you are looking for, but I've found his reviews to be more thoughtful than the other ones that are available.

Hmmm, yeah, he's pretty good. He does a good job of interesting me in City stuff. Oh, to get a complete city of modulars, some major City sets and then a Horizon Express to go all around it.

Dammit.

Soul4ger

Reviews rant.

I've watched a few reviews on YouTube since I started buying LEGO again, and the thing that really stands out to me is the absolute lack of research that every person does. Mispronunciations of names, places, and even themes; ignorance of previous sets or LEGO as a company, in general. It's shocking. I mean, I've been back into the hobby for about a month, and I already know how easy it is to find a lot of the information they fudge. I can understand acting a little silly. The BrickShow guys have kids and are making the reviews for kids as well as adults, so they try to have fun with it. At the same time, they're also trying to operate what seems like a brand, but they constantly say stuff incorrectly and lack knowledge about older themes. It's really disappointing.

frogg609

Love the Opera House. I've never been there in real life, but that is just gorgeous. Price is a little high, but if I want it bad enough I'll make it work.

Went to Gamestop last night to pick up Animal Crossing. They had a couple of minifigs they gave me, including 30164 which is some Lex Luthor fig. Interesting that it's going for 20+ on Ebay. I'd figure you could get this one pretty easily. Need to check another Gamestop today and see what I can find.

mrkgoo

You are totally right; I mostly avoid "reviews" for this reason.

They simply regurgitate box contents and then gripe about specific figs/pieces/parts that should have been included (or not, in the case of stickers). It would be great to get more informed opinions in terms of build characteristics or alternative arrangements which could have improved the sets.

Maybe there's a website idea there...

But yeah I can across the same issue. Thing is, that review style is common throughout the Internet for everything. Like video game reviews explaining modes and controls. It's meant to be utilitarian, letting you know what you're getting. From that point of view, they can be useful.

But for more hardcore who want impressions, since we can see what's in the box, I find written reviews in forums much better. I tend to click euro brick ones. YouTube is much more 'attention whore-y'.

I suppose we have to realise we're complaining about amateur YouTube videos here - what do expect, honestly?

Soul4ger

Picked up my first Series 10 Collectible Minifigures today on a whim. Randomly grabbed eight of them. I got the two I wanted most: Medusa and Bumblebee Girl. But I also got three Motorcycle Mechanics. :(

I finished another four of my custom figures, bringing the total to 26. When I draw up designs and figure out what colors to paint, it gets relatively quick, as I can do all the applications of a color at one time.

Sounds like a fun build. Ooofa, that sticker sheet.

I'm not too bothered by that when it's decorative elements like paintings. I didn't look too closely at the details as I don't want to spoil the building progress, but it looks very good.

It's apparent that the Ent isn't Treebeard and that they're saving him for a separate build, but it may be possible to modify it into him, using his look from the game. Now, if they could only unlock that order button...

Kryten

LEGO customer service is the best. One of the Technic sets I acquired from my friend didn't have the sticker sheet included and he hadn't applied them earlier. I emailed LEGO about paying for a new sheet and yesterday one just arrived in the post. Awesome. They admit in the included letter that they can't actually figure out how to handle selling replacement parts themselves and actually recommend approaching places like bricklink.com.

R-User!

Thirteenth Hour is the tasty coffee chocolate stout. I didn't like the Stony Brook Red. New World is the lighter and sweeter one, but harder to find.

Yeah, they didn't have New World, but I'll ask them if they've had it or if they can get it...

What sizes have you seen on these? Just the 20+ounce bottles, or do they come in 12oz bottles too?

Or do they come in pints!? /Merry

I might get that Imperial Shuttle tomorrow!!!
Too bad I'll probably be busy mowing the lawn for the first time or sealing some grout in the upstairs bathroom.... :/

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the Crater Creeper today. It's an amazing little creature, but I just realized that his eyes are the red translucent pieces.

I can't unsee the two black pegs for the rubber band being his actual eyes. They're right next to the mouth!

It makes him a super cute evil buggoid thing!

e7Bl3Ep.png

I picked up the Crater Creeper today. It's an amazing little creature, but I just realized that his eyes are the red translucent pieces.

I can't unsee the two black pegs for the rubber band being his actual eyes. They're right next to the mouth!

It makes him a super cute evil buggoid thing!

e7Bl3Ep.png
That and Galactic Titan are all I need for 100% Galaxy Squad.

This is where I pimp Hive Crawler again. If you liked that bug, get the big daddy now.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
That and Galactic Titan are all I need for 100% Galaxy Squad.

This is where I pimp Hive Crawler again. If you liked that bug, get the big daddy now.

He's just so adorable with those big buggy black eyes! The red translucent pieces kinda look like li'l blasters now.
...Poor guy was trying his hardest to be menacing.

Definitely getting the gorgeous Hive Crawler and the Galactic Titan if I can afford it someday. It's tough being a LEGO/Transformers/Skylanders man!

chidrock

Anyone see anything official stating that the Tower of Orthanc will be available to VIPs on June 17th?

If so, anyone else annoyed that they missed Fathers' Day by one day lol? I know my son always likes to pick out sets for us to put together and that would be an awesome choice if it was available.

Random musings:

I have been thinking for months about how I regard the 10000 series sets from Lego. I obviously expect a certain degree of class and brilliance from them, and why it is harder for them to surpass my expectations like smaller sets like Quinjet, Hive Crawler, or Silver Mine Shootout do. Those smaller sets outside of the 10k series or UCS branding can surprise me because I don't have many preconceived notions of how the build and model should be. And I suddenly realized the best analogy for what UCS and 10000 series sets are: they are the Criterion collection of Lego.

DJ_Lae

Lego store opened in Edmonton yesterday.

We left around noon to visit inlaws in another province, but I timed it so that we could stop by the store on the way out, buy the $65 (or whatever the minimum required was) and get a free Lego Lego store set.

I called just before we left - they were only giving out t-shirts that day with purchases - the Lego store set was today only. So I missed out on getting one, which sucks. But I couldn't postpone my trip.

Oh well.

Ponn

Banned

I really like this set. Completely astounded how I didn't care for it from the nytf previews to being one of my favorite sets this year. Just alot of great stuff for a $30 set. Great pieces, unique pieces, 2 great unique figs, really nice display set and a fun build. I haven't had experience with modular or house sets but it was really fun building that roof and seeing it come together. Highly highly recommended.

I really like this set. Completely astounded how I didn't care for it from the nytf previews to being one of my favorite sets this year. Just alot of great stuff for a $30 set. Great pieces, unique pieces, 2 great unique figs, really nice display set and a fun build. I haven't had experience with modular or house sets but it was really fun building that roof and seeing it come together. Highly highly recommended.

Soon. There are so few LOTR sets this year, it should not hurt too much to get them all. Soon.

Thats not soon enough.

Orthanc next week my friend. Orhtanc. Nothing else matters until Orthanc. Well, perhaps Galactic Titan. After Orthanc, all that matters is Dolphin Cruiser until September when Ewok Village and Sydney Opera House drop.

Also, Brickset posted their review of Hive Crawler.
They give it good scores, but I greatly disagree with some of their criticisms. Perhaps my initial lowered expectations played a part in my complete surprise with the set, but this is seriously my favorite set so far this year. If there is any set out right now that will make you feel like a child again, it is this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got the Black Gate set, and it's nice.

I am a little annoyed that they'll do special molds for Sting, but not a special mold for Anduril.

Got the Black Gate set, and it's nice.

I am a little annoyed that they'll do special molds for Sting, but not a special mold for Anduril.

That is annoying. No molds for Anduril or Glamdring. BAH!

Besides, Glamdring is the sexiest of Middle Earth swords. Anduril has the boss "I once cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand" factor to it, but the sexy curves of Glamdring make it the coolest LOTR sword to me.

After watching Man of Steel, I kind of want to buy a few more of those sets at least.

My son said the same thing during the credits... :)

Man that film was good!

During some sequences I was thinking "Now I want that set!"

But in the end the movie was very cold and depressed me. I posted my thoughts in the main Man of Steel thread, but the more I think about the film the more it pisses me off. Hell, it downright offends me.

I am glad that some people are enjoying it. But I am not one of those people.

LOL, nice comparison...

hx7HM9s.jpg

LOL. Once I build Orthanc this week I will put it next to the Imperial Shuttle. That will be a cool comparison.

But in the end the movie was very cold and depressed me. I posted my thoughts in the main Man of Steel thread, but the more I think about the film the more it pisses me off. Hell, it downright offends me.

LOL. Once I build Orthanc this week I will put it next to the Imperial Shuttle. That will be a cool comparison.

Eh that's okay, I understand it seems to be a polarizing film. My dad thought it was okay (He seems to go less and less for films like this nowadays) but it was good. I didn't have any crazy high expectations for it though

I enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3, but I agree with you that while it is a good comic book movie, it's not a very good film. The characters all lack personality, I want to cheer for Superman but I just can't find reason to. I want to know more about Lois but she was just pretty face reporter, I want to care for black Perry White but I don't see why I should care for him or the rest of Daily Planets. I think the original did it right by splitting the story into two movies and let you get to know Superman and the rest of the casts. Also don't care for the flashback story telling.

Anyway, I do now want Jor-El mini-fig also I though LEGO just add some random ship into the set and didn't realize they were just using the (crappy design) from the film.

Speaking of great LEGO customer service, they mail me my missing parts and now I can complete my ARC-170. I might thanks then for their great service by going to the store tomorrow for Father day. That 10% coupon is burning a hole in my pocket.

PS:phonciple, I send out the Galaxy Squad mini-Mech earlier this week, I hope you get it soon. I didn't have any stamps (who used them these days anyway!) then I finally got some but the envelope doesn't fit into our community mailbox. So I have to wait until my day off to go to post office.

My daughter ask me at the end of the movie, "hey dad, isn't Superman suppose to save lives. He wrecked half of the city!". And she is not fan of comic book heroes by any stretch of an imagination (she ask me if Lois is Wonder Woman, I lol) but even she understood what Superman should represent.

Confirmation that your daughter is awesome.

Question: what does LEGO GAF think of waists on female figures? Since long, long ago, there has been attempts to slim down female characters by printing a little curve on the torso. The first (?) female with a distinct face, the pirate girl, also came with the slimmed torso, but I don't remember if any of the medieval maidens had them too.

It's funny. There is a problem, especially when you try to depict characters like Slave Leia, and end up with something looking more like that fat dancer at Jabba's. Even if you do add the slimming paintwork, you still have the square legs, the huge hands, the lack of a chest, and the cylindrical heads. It's hardly sexy, whatever you do.

I prefer to see all figures as stylized depictions of a human anyway, so I just ignore that part.

Is there anyone who prefers this workaround, or even would like to have separate character parts or something like Friends in the regular lines?

Top Bottom