• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

I'll be passing on it, for now, but I do look forward to pics and reviews of those who do get it soon.

I've also begun the task of tearing down some of the SW sets I currently have displayed to make way for new stuff and have noticed how all the early SW sets had very few, if any, stickers and instead just included a whole bunch of printed pieces. I just found that fascinating how it's the complete opposite of now when it comes to stickers. A shame that they went away from using printed pieces like that.

I noticed that on a review of the new Castle... castle. Loads of the big wall parts have stickerd instead of a few different prints. Rather cheap. Eldorado had at least three different white walls.

Picking up and picking up... I'm jealous of you guys with actual stores where you can just waltz in and get it.

However, in the meantime I got Black Gate today, so I have something to keep me occupied.

ghostmind

Who's picking up Orthanc today?

I'm thinking about it, which may be surprising given the time I devoted to digging up info on this set.

The reason is the freebie. I don't really have any use for another Jor-El, and would much rather have another Hot Dog Cart.

Of course, I will probably crack and give in within a few hours.

Picking up and picking up... I'm jealous of you guys with actual stores where you can just waltz in and get it.

It's good and bad. :)

I'm thinking about it, which may be surprising given the time I devoted to digging up info on this set.

The reason is the freebie. I don't really have any use for another Jor-El, and would much rather have another Hot Dog Cart.

Ya, I really want the hot dog cart. I just don't know what I would buy next month. Maybe Pirate Ship Ambush.

Like you said, I'll probably crack in a couple hours and go and get it on my lunch.

Jimbro72

I think you should wait. I mean, can you think of two sets that compliment each other as perfectly as Orthanc and the Hot Dog Cart? Those two are just begging to be ordered (and displayed) together!

I am getting Orthanc on Wednesday. The Titan or Dolphin Cruiser will be my July purchase to get the hot dog cart.

Think I'm going to wait until July 1 and get the hot dog cart. (Curious, will that promo be included in Shop@home orders as well?)

Ya, it should.

I think I found the minifig display case you posted on the last page. I'm only seeing an oak color though, I'd like to get the dark brown/black that you have.

ghostmind

I am getting Orthanc on Wednesday. The Titan or Dolphin Cruiser will be my July purchase to get the hot dog cart.

My dilemma is that I want 3 Hot Dog carts, and apparently Star Wars (which would have easily taken care of that) isn't out until August.

Though if the Titan, Dolphin Cruiser, Gorilla Mech and the two City sets are all released in July, I should have enough with those alone.

My willpower is fading quickly however...

ghostmind

I think you should wait. I mean, can you think of two sets that compliment each other as perfectly as Orthanc and the Hot Dog Cart? Those two are just begging to be ordered (and displayed) together!

I am picturing that in my mind, and now I must make it a reality.

Looks like you're right Harry. (For those that are curious: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DansPlugsandLures?ref=seller_info)

My wife said the seller only had 1 in stock, so she asked them to create a second one of the black ones (how I got 2).

Ah ok. I'm going to have my wife message them. We've been looking for display cases the last couple weeks. There are these things called "letterpress drawers" that we saw on etsy that are pretty cool and unique for displaying figs. Some are quite pricey though.

rallaren

The Titan or Dolphin Cruiser will be my July purchase to get the hot dog cart.
Vuu0jju.gif

Finished Black Gate as a preparation for all the SNOTty goodness on Orthanc. And well... this thing is black. And obviously a gate. It's big and spiky and it would probably be an excellent starter kit for Evil Fortress 1A, but I really don't see the play value in it. Kind of like Helm's Deep it's sorely missing a ton of figures on either side to even start making a battle out of it, and in the case on Black Gate those simply don't exist yet (Gondorian soldiers, although you could put together the survivors from Helm's Deep there). So it's basically a gate for Mouth to exit and get his head chopped off. Which is not an advertised action feature.

However, it's an excellent part pack. You get tons and even more tons of black tiles in various sizes. Plenty of SNOT bricks as well, and a good selection of various spikes. I could possibly see it being used to bulk up Orthanc with another floor.

And you get three unique figures, as well as a rather important (but simple looking) eagle. Ultimately, I think this eagle will transfer to the inevitable Frodo and Sam At The End Of All Things scene. Aragorn is still rather ugly but the cape really helps this figure. Mouth is delightfully evil. And Gandalf is a really, really excellent figure. So yeah, three good figures, an eagle and a parts pack. Not that bad. But unlike Council of Elrond, it won't stay built for long.

I'm sure there was outrage over that from a vocal minority. It wouldn't be a minifigure to me if they changed the "standard" design. Also, you don't find it sexy? ;)

This is what a custom torso would look like:
http://www.arealightcustoms.com/shop/Curved-Torso/

Arealight's printed Twi'leks by xwingyoda, on Flickr

Frankly, I wish they would do this with female mini-figs and set them apart from boy. I always find it odd that both girl and boy mini-figs have the same body.

IronRinn

Man, that Sydney Opera House is fantastic. Also expensive. But FANTASTIC.

On another note, I received the newest LEGO catalog in the mail a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that the Star Wars section did not have the Super Star Destroyer in it. Does that mean it's on its way out?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Okay, So i have purchased about $600 worth of LEGO in the last month.... And now I have a 10% coupon that Nico3000 sent me...Thanks. I am trying to tell myself I cannot afford to go to the LEGO store this weekend and buy Death Star.....But I am weak....

ghostmind

Okay, So i have purchased about $600 worth of LEGO in the last month.... And now I have a 10% coupon that Nico3000 sent me...Thanks. I am trying to tell myself I cannot afford to go to the LEGO store this weekend and buy Death Star.....But I am weak....

It is unavoidable. It is your destiny.

Jimbro72

Yeah, I've had that argument with myself many times and all you're doing is putting off the unavoidable. I predict you'll own that set by month's end, if not by this weekend, like you said. ;)

I had a bunch of Rohirrim* (including one I'm making my own character from), some elves and some orcs standing around, so I bolstered the figures around the Black Gate and the Council. Also replaced parts on my army of Centurions to have them stand in as Gondorians. Suddenly the Black Gate looks pretty cool. I knew it!

* Speaking of which, I hate how people use "Rohans" as the name of the people inhabiting Rohan. Tolkien came up with a collective noun for them, dammit! Also applies to "Harads", etc.

Ainaurdur

I had a bunch of Rohirrim* (including one I'm making my own character from), some elves and some orcs standing around, so I bolstered the figures around the Black Gate and the Council. Also replaced parts on my army of Centurions to have them stand in as Gondorians. Suddenly the Black Gate looks pretty cool. I knew it!

* Speaking of which, I hate how people use "Rohans" as the name of the people inhabiting Rohan. Tolkien came up with a collective noun for them, dammit! Also applies to "Harads", etc.

Mellon nin!

ghostmind

I'll start either tonight or tomorrow.

The LEGO store had one built, standing beside the Palace Cinema. The modulars have never looked so small - Orthanc is a beast!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Glad you got it - totally forgot to send it at first because of other things getting in my head.

Also, you know you want the Death Star. :)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Glad you got it - totally forgot to send it at first because of other things getting in my head.

Also, you know you want the Death Star. :)

Yup. Thanks again. The awesome thing is with the coupon I get it for the same price amazon was selling it for and my wife was completely fine with it..... I think I should worry about that....

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just finished the tower. It's a really fun build.

I do think we got short changed on mini-figs though.

Ent, but no Merry and/or Pippen. They give Wormtongue his dagger, but there should have been a Arragorn and Gandalf the White on horseback (really this or the Black Gate should have come with Shadowfax).

I will not succumb to the power of the Dark Lord.

hotdog.jpg

Hot Dog cart, give me strength!

I'm forced to wait till July but i'm right there with you anyways, STAY STRONG! The Urak-Hai army needs wieners!

Give into the power of the Ring. Order Orthanc now. In July you will have the Galactic Titan and Dolphin Cruiser.

I really don't know if the hot dog cart would be funnier outside of Orthanc or near Galaxy Squad stuff.

I will not succumb to the power of the Dark Lord.

hotdog.jpg

Hot Dog cart, give me strength!

What kills me is that I could make the damn thing. I'm sure 99% of us in the thread have the parts....but I still want it.

Dammit, LEGO.

My meetings in Cincinnati went long today, so I did not get to visit the local LEGO store. Back home with nothing for the girls...am disappointed. On the upside my daughters and I did watch the Friends "New Girl In Town" movie yesterday on Netflix. I always get a kick out of how all of the structures in these things are brick built-the show was fine, but it looks like it didn't get past the pilot episode. It's too bad, as I'm sure it would have helped maintain my kids' interest and let me back my way into the Yacht, High School & Riding Camp.

The older one turns 7 in a couple of weeks, so my wife and I are each doing something special with her. The wife is taking her to NYC to go shopping for a few days, but I've got my priorities in order:

http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.ca/toronto/

She's very excited. I love this disclaimer on the site:

Please note: Adults must be accompanied by a child to visit the LEGOLAND Discovery Centre.

R-User!

Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade...

Already built but broken up in original box including instructions...

I already own both of these sets...

Approximately four thousand four hundred and something combined pieces for MOC's...

All for the low, low price of...

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

One more "wait for it".....

$104.00 USD..........FOR BOTH!!!

$52 bucks each set!!!

67% off MSRP!!!

2.35 cents per piece!!!

What do you guys think?! O_0

I'm still in shock....

What a find! :)

4400 pieces for 104???!!!! Wow!

Edit... Good night - sweet maiden - of
the LEGOGAF! hic!

mrkgoo

Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade...

Already built but broken up in original box including instructions...

I already own both of these sets...

Approximately four thousand four hundred and something combined pieces for MOC's...

All for the low, low price of...

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

One more "wait for it".....

$104.00 USD..........FOR BOTH!!!

$52 bucks each set!!!

67% off MSRP!!!

2.35 cents per piece!!!

What do you guys think?! O_0

I'm still in shock....

What a find! :)

4400 pieces for 104???!!!! Wow!

Edit... Good night - sweet maiden - of
the LEGOGAF! hic!

Nice!

That feels extremely cheap. That said, I think retail price if Lego in US feels cheap already.

Top Bottom