• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I remember when my wife bought me that. Such a great ship, and a fun build too. May have to break it down and rebuild it.

Awesome to hear, dude. I absolutely dig its aesthetic. Ended up paying 112AUD with shipping from a seller located in Australia, which is actually not bad for a 2008 set that goes for around 110 on Bricklink and only available overseas. There are a few going for around 200 on eBay, which is pretty crazy.

ghostmind

Hmm, LEGO store doesn't think they would be getting the Titan in until next week - they weren't even aware that it was up on S@H.

With that being the case, I am going to wait until July 1st and get a Hot Dog Cart with the Titan. I've got plenty to keep me busy until then.

Jimbro72

No way. That's $200 I could put towards the Opera House.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. Way too much newly released stuff coming out between this month and Sept. With the open back design, I was just curious if there was someone who was thinking about adding a second to close it off, or at least have it open up like the Haunted House does. I know I'm not but you just know someone, somewhere, is buying two to make a super sized Orthanc.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. Way too much newly released stuff coming out between this month and Sept. With the open back design, I was just curious if there was someone who was thinking about adding a second to close it off, or at least have it open up like the Haunted House does. I know I'm not but you just know someone, somewhere, is buying two to make a super sized Orthanc.

Ya, I'm sure we'll see some mods of it soon enough. I haven't had chance to dig into mine yet but just from pictures I've seen I feel like two of them together would look odd. Too much girth. Opening up like the Haunted House would be really cool though.

Edit: You got me thinking about how godly the Haunted House is. I need to break that down soon for a Halloween rebuild.

Jimbro72

Ya, I'm sure we'll see some mods of it soon enough. I haven't had chance to dig into mine yet but just from pictures I've seen I feel like two of them together would look odd. Too much girth. Opening up like the Haunted House would be really cool though.

Edit: You got me thinking about how godly the Haunted House is. I need to break that down soon for a Halloween rebuild.

Yeah, I don't think you could directly combine two into one and have it look good due to the very odd shape. You'd just have to use a lot of pieces from a second one to make it more round, maybe with a hinged back.

And to keep hearing about how good the HH is is making that wait for fall all the more difficult to hold off and build mine. But I need to spend more time dismantling to make room to display stuff before I can start building again. Some progress has been made but much to still break down.

Jimbro72

I was browsing my Facebook wall and this popped up:

http://m.today.com/news/buyer-beware-major-stores-may-mislead-sales-6C10367331

I wonder if Toys R Us' sales practices regarding LEGO could be targeted for something like this?

I don't see why not unless there is some legal loophole that lets them get away with it. I see TRU always listing their "sale" price as what the normal retail price for it should be at any other retailer but it's a sale price to them because of their usual 10-20% markup. It's why I rarely ever buy Lego at TRU due to their ridiculous pricing.

shadow29

Neo Member
Atleast at my TRU, most sales tend to cut the price to below MSRP even with the mark up. But then again, I usually don't bother to go unless there is BOGO or 20% off.

Fowler

I'd like to make a rather large PAB order from LEGO.com, but I live in Hong Kong so they won't ship to me. Can anyone please order it for me? I'll gladly PayPal you the money up front!

R-User!

So is there anyone here that is even considering buying two Orthancs to combine into one large, fully enclosed tower?

Nah, I might buy a second to combine into a MOC of the Tower of Barad-Dûr! :) $

Sacrifice Orthanc in honor of Barad-Dûr!

Edit: if this pic works, wow
It makes me re-think wether I should even bother... :)

http://m.flickr.com/photos/41823416@N08/8652310285/

Edit 5: well at least I got the link for you guys to see... :)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Well I bought my first ever lego set today. Since I saw the thread in OT on the new Sydney Opera House the other day, I decided that I would like to buy it (I am an aussie). Anyway, I also saw the 3 others from that series in the thread. Since the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower are very expensive, I decided to buy the Tower Bridge! Unfortunately I had to pay the aussie lego tax, so cost $380. I looked into having it shipped from USA but the shipping price was $100 so since it was only ~$50 more I decided just to buy it from the lego shop online. At least if there's a problem with shipping I'll probably have more luck with them rather than some random person in USA. Only downside is 13 business days shipping time..wtf? Will post a photo after it's been built. I might look at getting the first 2 in the series next year used.

Congrats. Welcome to the build.

gokieks

Picked up Architecture Fallingwater and Y-Wing from the TRU sale since those were sets at MSRP or a price that's pretty close to what they cost elsewhere, and the Y-Wing is close to being hard to find now.

Snagged a small PAB cup (they had tree leaves!), Orthanc, and Sopwith Camel. Good day ahead.

And the guy at the store said the reason for the Titan delay was the treads. Apparently there was a recall on sets with treads because they were breaking easily.

g5Yfh1l.jpg

credit to Dare_Wreck on Brickset

Those Academy sets look great, but I just can't bring myself to pay the additional costs of the "training" aspect as there is so much available online. Granted these are most likely highly structured and good quality instructions. There also is online access or something you get with it. I'm too used to buying most of my LEGO below MSRP with coupons, sales, and clearances.

In need of some LEGO suggestions! So I started a LEGO Club at my library back in January and it's been a big hit. We currently have 10 or so bins of the Deluxe 5508's and a couple Creator sets so we're pretty good on brick counts but I was looking into expanding into playsets and unique pieces (ala Hero Factory).

I'm currently looking at Kingdom's Joust, Vampyre Castle, and Pirate Ship Ambush. Do you have any other suggestions for playsets or themes with cool brick pieces? I have about $350 to spend, thx!

Soul4ger

In need of some LEGO suggestions! So I started a LEGO Club at my library back in January and it's been a big hit. We currently have 10 or so bins of the Deluxe 5508's and a couple Creator sets so we're pretty good on brick counts but I was looking into expanding into playsets and unique pieces (ala Hero Factory).

I'm currently looking at Kingdom's Joust, Vampyre Castle, and Pirate Ship Ambush. Do you have any other suggestions for playsets or themes with cool brick pieces? I have about $350 to spend, thx!

Good luck with the club! I don't know about Vampyre Castle or Pirate Ship Ambush, but I did order Kingdoms Joust because I was afraid that it would go away before I'd have the chance to get it. As fas as "unique pieces" go, this set doesn't have 'em. It's beautiful as far as Castle sets go, really quite something for display, but it actually has a LOT of small pieces. There are a bunch of the smallest slope piece, and little plates and stuff like that. Good if you're a medieval MOC'er, maybe? But not exactly anything overly different that you can't get in cheaper sets.

I hope this helps a little! I do still really recommend the set!

Wonderful. The AC in the apartment just went to shit, so it is like an oven in here.
First few floors of Orthanc completed. Just put the SNOT work along the outside. Time for a break to go somewhere with AC and cool off.

Ponn

Banned
Wonderful. The AC in the apartment just went to shit, so it is like an oven in here.
First few floors of Orthanc completed. Just put the SNOT work along the outside. Time for a break to go somewhere with AC and cool off.

It is your duty to sit through the sweat and heat to deliver us Orthanc.

neonglow

Would getting a train set blow your budget?

The Cargo Train would cost half your budget at $180 MSRP

7939-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

The Lone Ranger Train is $100 MSRP. It's on sale right now for $87 at Amazon

79111-1.jpg

Best Star of course.
10188-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

Retail is $400, but it does get marked down occasionally. TONS of figures. Lots of playability. Lots of standard and good pieces.

Recently I've discovered LEGOJANG on YouTube - he's not exactly what you are looking for, but I've found his reviews to be more thoughtful than the other ones that are available.

Finally got around to watching this while building Unexpected Gathering. Thanks for posting it! I like his style.

Including the aforementioned set, I've recently built the small Spiderman/Venom set and the Toy Story army men one. So much green!

I can't help myself...

You did not seriously think that a Hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron?...

There are none who can!
I realized it after posting. I was under the influence of The One Ring. I was not myself.

Anyways, bag 10 of Orthanc time! This sucker is getting tall.

And because I am a sick person, the throwing motion on the Ent is easily mistakable for a masturbation motion if you position the hand right.

I am extremely mature for a 33 year old man.

neonglow

Amazon UK has a great deal on the 4x4 Crawler. It's only £99.99. After shipping and removing the VAT, it come out to $143 for me.

I've been waiting for this to drop in price at TRU but it was never low enough. I think buying the higher end Technic sets overseas is the way to go.

Soul4ger

Including the aforementioned set, I've recently built the small Spiderman/Venom set and the Toy Story army men one. So much green!

I really love that Spider-Man set! $20 for three awesome figs and super cool car that features a fun build! Definitely one of my favorite sets thus far!

R-User!

I realized it after posting. I was under the influence of The One Ring. I was not myself.

Anyways, bag 10 of Orthanc time! This sucker is getting tall.

And because I am a sick person, the throwing motion on the Ent is easily mistakable for a masturbation motion if you position the hand right.

I am extremely mature for a 33 year old man.

That's what she said! ;)

The Lone Ranger Stagecoach is also a great value. $30 for 5 figures and 3 horses.

Stagecoach is a fantastic set for the price. Fun build, lots of great pieces and figures, and looks great while on display. It is also has extreme playability. One of the best values out of any set this year.

I really love that Spider-Man set! $20 for three awesome figs and super cool car that features a fun build! Definitely one of my favorite sets thus far!

Superhero set that packs the most punch for the value is Lex Luthor Power Armor. You get Lex, Superman, and Wonder Woman in the set, and you also build a totally badass mech complete with Kryptonite laser. And all for $20. It is a set you simply cannot fail with.

EDIT:
At long last, I have a Brad Douriff action figure.
BNLAUfYCQAAXvZn.jpg

ghostmind

Ugh, I haven't had time to build anything this week...

Just checked S@H, and the Titan is now listed as "Coming Soon". What does that even mean???

EDIT: What frogg609 said

Orthanc is finished.

I think I need time to sleep on it, but overall it was a solid build but nothing spectacular. Perhaps it was my lofty expectations for the set, but the actual build was just good enough to make me happy yet not blow me away. There were no "WTF is going on here?" moments like there were in certain modulars or Tower Bridge, which were quickly followed by "Ooooh. That's what was going on." Those are the moments that set a build apart from others.

The interior details are nice, but since about half of it is essentially made up and not recreating scenes from the film, it was missing the spark that made the Death Star my favorite thing ever. However, the parts that were recreations of the film scenes filled me with absolute glee. The Palantir in particular is awesome, although I wish it were actually attached to the base and not just resting on it.

Some of the made up details are cool though, such as the armory and library. I do like that this set gave me a new idea on how to make a bookshelf. Instead of SNOT bricks and attaching the books to the side of it to represent books on a shelf, they use the handlebar pieces and one of the books is actually a clip that snaps onto the bar along the wall. It is incredibly sturdy and looks exactly the same.

As above average as the build was, there is one thing that this set has over many others released this year: its intimidating appearance. The footprint is small. Like, crazy small. But what it lacks in acreage it more than compensates for in height. It dwarfs nearly everything else out there, which makes it an incredibly impressive display piece. I also like that you get the best of both worlds with the set. Awesome display piece, but easily turned around to have a little playset on the back.

Perhaps when I am not so tired and stressed out I will post pics of the set. It brings a lot of power as a display piece, but as a build it is above average and is not mind blowing. The Ent included is pretty cool and has a lot of character, but I wish he were just ever so slightly more posable. I have gotten spoiled with mechs, but the Ent will fit right in.

Overall: A-

I was curious if anyone on here is interested in purchasing my fire brigade and/or grand emporium?

They are both unopened. I just have not had time to put these together and my backlog is intense. I paid retail for them, and would entertain offers. Let me know if you are interested in these sets! I can do paypal, amazon gift cards, or anything you may have in mind. Just trying to pay off my PS4.

You can see a photo of them at the bottom of my backlog here -

Matt

I was curious if anyone on here is interested in purchasing my fire brigade and/or grand emporium?

They are both unopened. I just have not had time to put these together and my backlog is intense. I paid retail for them, and would entertain offers. Let me know if you are interested in these sets! I can do paypal, amazon gift cards, or anything you may have in mind. Just trying to pay off my PS4.

You can see a photo of them at the bottom of my backlog here -

...hmm. How much for both?

Top Bottom