• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Got a shipping notification now, but it's been tracking since yesterday. Either way I've got plans for Friday and Saturday, so I'll survive. Gonna be an awesome start of five weeks' holiday then. :)

Ainaurdur

Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade...

$104.00 USD..........FOR BOTH!!!
$52 bucks each set!!!
67% off MSRP!!!
2.35 cents per piece!!!

Edit... Good night - sweet maiden - of
the LEGOGAF! hic!

I would buy them at that price. My Pet Shop is all alone. So yes, if you have room and desire to have the pieces for MOC, go for it!

And wouldn't the modified quote be, "Goodnight, sweet maiden of the golden brick! *hic!*"

R-User!

I would buy them at that price. My Pet Shop is all alone. So yes, if you have room and desire to have the pieces for MOC, go for it!

And wouldn't the modified quote be, "Goodnight, sweet maiden of the golden brick! *hic!*"

Yes, it would have been that quote, but I was actually saying good nite to you fine folks, so I used LEGOGAF to represent everyone here....

I was tired, and thought that would work... :/

-_-zzz

Yours is more accurate to the "golden ale" aspect of the quote. I use that quote to my wife at least once a year! :)

frogg609

Yes, it would have been that quote, but I was actually saying good nite to you fine folks, so I used LEGOGAF to represent everyone here....

I was tired, and thought that would work... :/

-_-zzz

Yours is more accurate to the "golden ale" aspect of the quote. I use that quote to my wife at least once a year! :)

I liked it, it made me feel special. :)

frogg609

Is that VIP hotdog cart going to be available for purchase online or is that an in store deal only?

It's not a purchase (you get it free for spending 75 dollars). According to others more knowledgeable than I on here, we should get it online or in store, starting July 1.

It's not a purchase (you get it free for spending 75 dollars). According to others more knowledgeable than I on here, we should get it online or in store, starting July 1.

The less popular monthly promotions are usually available for a few months after the promo ends, as well (to purchase)

Deefuzz

So while we got the Orthanc in for VIPs to buy yesterday, we also got these two beauties in yesterday as well!

ycA8Soph.jpg

Oh man I showed so much restraint between these and Orthanc yesterday...

ghostmind

So while we got the Orthanc in for VIPs to buy yesterday, we also got these two beauties in yesterday as well!

ycA8Soph.jpg

And back to the LEGO store I go!

Actually, those will be great for July Hot Dog Cart purchases. Do you know how much they were going for?

Jimbro72

ycA8Soph.jpg

I'd like to know the price, too, as these two sets are pretty cool. Never had any interest in the others but these, I could go for.

ghostmind

they are $79.99 each, same as the level 3 set.

Also Level 2 and 3 are getting a similar box redesign to match these.

Do you mean Levels 1 and 2? Set 20214 in your pic is the redesigned Level 3.

I'm going to end up rebuying them all, aren't I?

At least they have some great pieces that can go into my general parts pool.

Deefuzz

Do you mean Levels 1 and 2? Set 20214 in your pic is the redesigned Level 3.

I'm going to end up rebuying them all, aren't I?

At least they have some great pieces that can go into my general parts pool.

Not exactly a redesigned level 3, more like the first collected retail offering of it. But yes I meant part of level 1 and level 2. In store I tend to refer to them as "set 1" "set 2" "set 3" for simplicities sake since level 1 is split across 2 sets

Kit 1 (part of level 1) has had a redesigned box for a while now.
Kit 2-3 (the other part of level 1) we just got the redesigned box in
Kit 4-6 (level 2) has a redesigned box now as well which we also just got in.

ghostmind

Not exactly a redesigned level 3, more like the first collected retail offering of it. But yes I meant part of level 1 and level 2. In store I tend to refer to them as "set 1" "set 2" "set 3" for simplicities sake since level 1 is split across 2 sets

Kit 1 (part of level 1) has had a redesigned box for a while now.
Kit 2-3 (the other part of level 1) we just got the redesigned box in
Kit 4-6 (level 2) has a redesigned box now as well which we also just got in.

Yeah, I originally got my Kits 1 through 9 via the subscription, so the whole Kit number versus Level number got confusing, especially since I was receiving Kits from different levels in the mail at the same time.

Great to hear that they are all being redone though, as I would rather have them with a unified design, instead of the hodge-podge that it was (ie. Level 2 had no box, just polys with manuals).

Deefuzz

Yeah, I originally got my Kits 1 through 9 via the subscription, so the whole Kit number versus Level number got confusing, especially since I was receiving Kits from different levels in the mail at the same time.

Great to hear that they are all being redone though, as I would rather have them with a unified design, instead of the hodge-podge that it was (ie. Level 2 had no box, just polys with manuals).

Oh so you were the one! :)

I guess I can't complain. I am glad to have the collected editions. Just part of me wishes I waited on kits 1-6 until now so all of my MBA sets could look nice and uniform in their boxes. :)

Oh so you were the one! :)

I guess I can't complain. I am glad to have the collected editions. Just part of me wishes I waited on kits 1-6 until now so all of my MBA sets could look nice and uniform in their boxes. :)

So the kits are now independent of levels? If I wanted to get the newly packaged kits 1-6 then I'd have started from the beginning?

The whole MBA thing has always been confusing to me.

Ponn

Banned
Not Orthanc, but I haven't seen it talked about much so I thought I would go ahead and post my crappy pics and give my thoughts on it.

"Man, I wish someone sold some Hot Dogs around here, i'm hungry"

"Looks like Chicken Suit Guy is on the menu tonight boys!"

Wasn't sure if light brick would show up in pic but yea. Give's off surprising amount of light.

Ok build, nothing special going on except for the scaffolding. Guilty of the disjointed syndrome some of the LoTR sets suffer from. On its own probably wouldn't recommend but now that we are getting Orthanc I think this could be worked in pretty nicely and comes with a small cadre of orcs and Urak Hai to go with Orthanc.

Deefuzz

So the kits are now independent of levels? If I wanted to get the newly packaged kits 1-6 then I'd have started from the beginning?

The whole MBA thing has always been confusing to me.

I think I may be saying things a little wonky here.

So kits 1-6 have been available boxed in the stores for a little while now. Kit 1 in it's own set ($29.99), kits 2-3 in their own set ($49.99) which gives us all of Level 1. And kits 4-6 in their own ($79.99) set giving us Level 2.

About a month ago we got in a newly designed box for Kit 1 in the store. Changed the background color (sides and such) from black to white (much like you see on these two boxes in the image I provided earlier). When I mentioned a redesign I was referring to that exactly. So the set boxes for kits 2-3. and 4-6 also now have the new white look to their boxes.

I was merely being anal in the fact that I think it would be nicer to see all of the boxes share that uniform white design that they will all have now, rather than have half of them looking different because I already owned them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got a nice bonus at work today. Should put it towards my credit card bill, but will put aside a 'Lego 10xxx' amount for a future purchase. Nothing tickling my fancy at the moment but it'll be a nice feeling to have some money sitting there ready for the next awesome UCS SW set or creator expert

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Sorry I worded that incorrectly.
I was wondering if it was available online period or if it was only a promo available at Lego stores

keiichi

ycA8Soph.jpg

Whoa, those are out early. Are there any restrictions to these sets? Like having to belong to the Master Builders stuff?

Ainaurdur

I like the uniformity of the new design - wonder if the boxes still contain the sorting trays?
Judging from that last picture of the back of the Level 4 set, looks like it still has a lid to pull off the top, it's just not as thick as the original Space Designer lid was.

I do like that they have unified the design, but still mad at the raised prices. They should have kept the original pricing and offered more options for people who didn't want it as a subscription.

Can someone explain to me what is unique about the Academy sets? I really don't know.
They offer instructions for multiple small builds in each kit. But the instruction manuals go beyond simply showing you what is needed for the next step, they take time to explain some of the reasoning and methods behind each step. So instead of simply having you follow directions, it starts to teach you how to think like a designer/builder. Giving you tools to use in addition to raw imagination when you (Or a child.) want to take the bricks you own and create something new with them.

To adults who have been building with Lego for years already, a lot of it we have naturally picked up from experience and experimentation, but there might also be some tips and building techniques that are new to you. New styles of building and new ways to express through Lego.

Again, I really do love the concept of the MBA theme, just think they are a bit overpriced now.

Wow, those designer sets are REALLY cool! Will those be available everywhere? I want those!!
I believe they will always be exclusive to Lego Stores and S@H.

Well I bought my first ever lego set today. Since I saw the thread in OT on the new Sydney Opera House the other day, I decided that I would like to buy it (I am an aussie). Anyway, I also saw the 3 others from that series in the thread. Since the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower are very expensive, I decided to buy the Tower Bridge! Unfortunately I had to pay the aussie lego tax, so cost $380. I looked into having it shipped from USA but the shipping price was $100 so since it was only ~$50 more I decided just to buy it from the lego shop online. At least if there's a problem with shipping I'll probably have more luck with them rather than some random person in USA. Only downside is 13 business days shipping time..wtf? Will post a photo after it's been built. I might look at getting the first 2 in the series next year used.

Well I bought my first ever lego set today. Since I saw the thread in OT on the new Sydney Opera House the other day, I decided that I would like to buy it (I am an aussie). Anyway, I also saw the 3 others from that series in the thread. Since the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower are very expensive, I decided to buy the Tower Bridge! Unfortunately I had to pay the aussie lego tax, so cost $380. I looked into having it shipped from USA but the shipping price was $100 so since it was only ~$50 more I decided just to buy it from the lego shop online. At least if there's a problem with shipping I'll probably have more luck with them rather than some random person in USA. Only downside is 13 business days shipping time..wtf? Will post a photo after it's been built. I might look at getting the first 2 in the series next year used.
You started the addiction with Tower Bridge? Good god, man! Talk about jumping into shark infested waters without hope of rescue and a constantly bleeding wound. Good luck keeping the addiction in check, and welcome.

Edit: so, will Lego stores get the Titan in stores Thursday or perhaps Wednesday? I have been planning a trip to the store Wednesday for weeks, but the news of a Titan release on Thursday is making me wanna wait. Grrrrr.

Ainaurdur

You started the addiction with Tower Bridge? Good god, man! Talk about jumping into shark infested waters without hope of rescue and a constantly bleeding wound. Good luck keeping the addiction in check, and welcome.

Since you put it like that, the new Coast Guard Patrol would be a great bridging set to sate his new found appetite for a bit between some bigger purchases. ;)

The OT thread worked!

Welcome, Tower Bridge is my favorite set I own. You'll be amazed by it when it's completed.

R-User!

Congratulations on your first bought set! What a set to start out with! :) I am glad that the info out on the open plains of the OT were able to bring you into the fold of LEGO. You, sir or madam, are valadation that the new news threads being posted on the OT side are a worthwhile endeavor! :)

My wife hasn't built her Valentines Day gift (Tower Bridge as well), but from what I have heard in this thread you're in for a treat!

frogg609

Congratulations! Nice jump into the deep end of the pool! And welcome. 98% of my GAF time is now in this thread.

Ainaurdur

Bro fist. Hopefully by this weekend, I will be at 100% Galaxy Squad.
I am actually slightly upset the Titan is releasing this week because it saps a bit of my excitement from Orthanc.

The forests will burn in the fires of industry...

Just think, if Saruman had continued building his machines, he would have built the Titan and unleashed it upon Middle Earth. But then some hasty Entings came and drowned out his production line!

The forests will burn in the fires of industry...

Just think, if Saruman had continued building his machines, he would have built the Titan and unleashed it upon Middle Earth. But then some hasty Entings came and drowned out his production line!
You just wait until they release a Balrog set. No one will be safe.

And yeah, I plan on watching LOTR or blasting the music all day while I build Orthanc.

Edit: PSA: the Quinjet, aka one of the single best sets released last year (IMHO), is discounted on Amazon for $53.20 right now.

ruxtpin

Banned
Picked up the Tower of Orthanc... 30 dollars in credit used + 10% off coupon brought it down to $150. Now I have something else that I don't have the time to build! Ayo

Top Bottom