• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I saw the Galaxy Squad mech for (the reasonable price of) $49.99 Canadian today.

It's the first Galaxy Squad item I've been remotely interested in. What are everybody's thoughts on it?

Galactic Titan is up on Shop@Home. Ordered!

Nice! I'm going to hold out the 10 more days it would take to get to me and pick it up on the 1st in-store.

I'll be waiting to use my 10% off coupon in the store. Can't wait!

I saw the Galaxy Squad mech for (the reasonable price of) $49.99 Canadian today.

It's the first Galaxy Squad item I've been remotely interested in. What are everybody's thoughts on it?

It looks amazing, I'll own it soon enough.

ghostmind

Robin get!

SqPjJb2.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just got home from a crazy long trip to the LEGO store. Dropped my wife off with her college roommates so they could go to the beach and then drove the extra hour to get to the LEGO Store in Tyson's Corner. 10% Coupon in my pocket I see 1 Death Star on the shelf. It is beaten up pretty badly so I figure I will ask if they have a nice one in the back. There are about 4 people in the store so I head straight back to the PAB wall and check out the selection. New windows and Doors from the last time so I start filling a Cup. During this process the two guys that were at the counter ask for a Death Star...... and the manager goes to look for a new one because these guys are trying to resale them later and don't want the damaged one, even for the 10% off he offered due to damage. He goes in the back and comes back and says the damaged one is the only one they have. These two guys already have about $1500 worth on the counter and are trying to negotiate 15% out of the manager. Its a no go. They purchase the other items and have him call another store at Potomac Mills Which is 22 miles away. They have one and will hold it for them.

As they leave I tell the manager, I will take that busted one....but I have a 10% coupon in my pocket. Can we stack the damage discount and the coupon? He tries it but it won't let him stack them. (I think it would, but he wouldn't do it per policy). I then ask him, well can you call Potomac Mills and see if they have another one there? They do, so I am now going to drive to a new LEGO store I have never been to to get a better box. I figure its only 22 miles, I can make it in 30 minutes. Well I didn't take DC traffic into account. about an hour and 15 minutes and a max speed of 20 I finally find the mall. I go in and tell the guy I should have a Death Star waiting for me. He says yea we do, but we also have a damaged one that we will sell for 20%. My eyes widen, well I have a 10% coupon in my pocket, can I use that too? Let me check with my manager.....

Sadly the manager told me no it won't stack either. O well, I get a Death Star for 319.00 and they have Hulk key chains. I grab them and pay for that then ask if I can keep the item behind the counter while I feel for minifigs. They guy says sure and if you can't find what you want we will open a new box for you. I spent the next hour feeling figs and didn't find any of the 3 remaining that I needed. I asked the guy if I could have a new box and he says sure and goes and opens a brand new series 10 box just for me. I got about a 3rd of the way through and a kid came up looking for MR Gold. I told him go at it. No Gold in the box, but I did get the 3 missing figs I needed.

I just got home and opened the shipping box the Death Star was in fulling expecting for part of the box or all of the box to be damaged. One small crinkle on the one side and that is it. The box at the other LEGO store was in far worse shape. I am now wondering if they didn't give me the wrong box. The only bad thing is I couldn't use the 10% coupon that Nicoga3000 sent me so now I have a coupon if anyone wants it.

Picture of my haul today. Sorry for the wall of text.

9101485759_bc04e3f299_c.jpg

Robin get!

SqPjJb2.jpg

Well...what'd you buy to get the figure?

I just got home and opened the shipping box the Death Star was in fulling expecting for part of the box or all of the box to be damaged. One small crinkle on the one side and that is it. The box at the other LEGO store was in far worse shape. I am now wondering if they didn't give me the wrong box. The only bad thing is I couldn't use the 10% coupon that Nicoga3000 sent me so now I have a coupon if anyone wants it.

This is a nice LEGO story that ends well. Congrats on the Death Star!

It will be mine at some point...we're putting a pool in this summer and once that's done I'm going to grab Best Star. Marriage be damned.

shadow29

Neo Member
So TRU won't stack the Price match and sale. Not really that surprising. Picked up Eradicator Mech and the Tree House though. Considered walking out but TRU had tempted me into the Mech after having a spot for it the last 2 weeks but none in stock.

After getting the Sopwith Camel the other day, I will wait until July for the Titan. Because nothing goes better together than blowing up giant space bugs and then eating hot dogs.

shadow29

Neo Member
So I flipped through Cuusoo again today to see how the Robotech fighter by daikoncat. I Love the series so I really want that one to go through despite knowing it wouldn't get made. But then I figured maybe he would release a parts list so I could atleast gather the pieces and attempt to mimic it through pics. Alas when I checked his website he said they were going to release instructions when it hit the 10000 mark, so I guess that plans out the window...

ghostmind

I want to see some more pics, but it looks good. No price announcement yet?

That's it for now. There has already been some negative reaction, with people saying the original idea was better than LEGO's interpretation.

For reference:

3DMhocI.jpg

No sign of minifigs with the LEGO version either, which would be a big reason I would get it.

That's it for now. There has already been some negative reaction, with people saying the original idea was better than LEGO's interpretation.

For reference:

3DMhocI.jpg

No sign of minifigs with the LEGO version either, which would be a big reason I would get it.

I was never really in love with the original design. I definitely like the changes LEGO made but no minifigs would be a major bummer.

shadow29

Neo Member
Im not exactly an expert on this, but would they have to pay more to use the likeness of someone in a set? Maybe it was cost prohibitive to get more than just the car for Lego.

For reference:

3DMhocI.jpg

Eh. I was not that enamored with the original design, and I can't tell if I like the new one more or less. There are some improvements and some downgrades to it. At least they were trying to keep it close to the size and piece count of the original one. I would LOVE to see a crazy detailed set with mini figs though.

Either way, I will be buying the set to support CUUSOO and BTTF.

Tower Bridge - now with 8 more pieces???

DeaB95T.jpg
????? Huh? Reissue of the set? Does that mean it will be around a bit longer then?

EDIT:
LEGO has updated their retiring soon page. Key sets that are about to disappear: Apple Tree House, Gandalf Arrives, Orc Forge.

Ponn

Banned
After several emails back and forth Lego S@H CS finally helped me out and got my account to VIP and gave me 100 points for my order that didn't get counted. Yay i'm officially a Lego VIP! I have Orthanc sitting in my cart but have to wait 2 weeks, at least I end up with the Hot Dog Cart for having to wait, and now I can get $5 bucks off.

Captain America's Avenging Cycle set as well, which is the only set with Cap in it, possibly until the next Cap movie.

The set itself was mediocre at best, but the fact that it is the sole set with Cap does make it significant.
Hopefully for Cap 2 we get a figure based on his WWII costume, complete with removable helmet.

Also, are there any rumors of any Thor sets for later this year? Maybe a set of the Bifrost or something. I would love to get a full pantheon of Asgardians.

ghostmind

The set itself was mediocre at best, but the fact that it is the sole set with Cap does make it significant.
Hopefully for Cap 2 we get a figure based on his WWII costume, complete with removable helmet.

Also, are there any rumors of any Thor sets for later this year? Maybe a set of the Bifrost or something. I would love to get a full pantheon of Asgardians.

I think that if there is going to be something, we'll see it at SDCC in a month.

R-User!

Just got home from a crazy long trip to the LEGO store. Dropped my wife off with her college roommates so they could go to the beach and then drove the extra hour to get to the LEGO Store in Tyson's Corner. 10% Coupon in my pocket I see 1 Death Star on the shelf. It is beaten up pretty badly so I figure I will ask if they have a nice one in the back. There are about 4 people in the store so I head straight back to the PAB wall and check out the selection. New windows and Doors from the last time so I start filling a Cup. During this process the two guys that were at the counter ask for a Death Star...... and the manager goes to look for a new one because these guys are trying to resale them later and don't want the damaged one, even for the 10% off he offered due to damage. He goes in the back and comes back and says the damaged one is the only one they have. These two guys already have about $1500 worth on the counter and are trying to negotiate 15% out of the manager. Its a no go. They purchase the other items and have him call another store at Potomac Mills Which is 22 miles away. They have one and will hold it for them.

As they leave I tell the manager, I will take that busted one....but I have a 10% coupon in my pocket. Can we stack the damage discount and the coupon? He tries it but it won't let him stack them. (I think it would, but he wouldn't do it per policy). I then ask him, well can you call Potomac Mills and see if they have another one there? They do, so I am now going to drive to a new LEGO store I have never been to to get a better box. I figure its only 22 miles, I can make it in 30 minutes. Well I didn't take DC traffic into account. about an hour and 15 minutes and a max speed of 20 I finally find the mall. I go in and tell the guy I should have a Death Star waiting for me. He says yea we do, but we also have a damaged one that we will sell for 20%. My eyes widen, well I have a 10% coupon in my pocket, can I use that too? Let me check with my manager.....

Sadly the manager told me no it won't stack either. O well, I get a Death Star for 319.00 and they have Hulk key chains. I grab them and pay for that then ask if I can keep the item behind the counter while I feel for minifigs. They guy says sure and if you can't find what you want we will open a new box for you. I spent the next hour feeling figs and didn't find any of the 3 remaining that I needed. I asked the guy if I could have a new box and he says sure and goes and opens a brand new series 10 box just for me. I got about a 3rd of the way through and a kid came up looking for MR Gold. I told him go at it. No Gold in the box, but I did get the 3 missing figs I needed.

Picture of my haul today. Sorry for the wall of text.

I don't mind "walls of text" as log as I'm interested in reading what the person has to say, and I read your whole post! Congratulations on getting the Death Star! :)

And you saved $80 dollars! Not bad. Not bad! Ten percent off busted boxes don't'a work on you, only twenty! No twenty! No box! No deal!

And no else has a twenty percent off coupon they'd promise you that-uh!

Ok, I'm too zonked from a long ass day... o_O

ghostmind

Cool.

And just trying to keep score, but how many unannounced 10k series sets are left? Just the new Winter Village? Or is there still one more mystery set? (Cmon mega sized Galaxy Squad!)

Slightly aroused by it?

10232 Palace Cinema
10233 Horizon Express
10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 Winter Village Market
10236 Ewok Village
10237 Tower of Orthanc
10238 ???
10239 ???
10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter
10937 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

That is one impressive list for this year. I don't see us getting 10238 or 10239 until very late in 2013, or the start of 2014.

And yes.

10232 Palace Cinema
10233 Horizon Express
10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 Winter Village Market
10236 Ewok Village
10237 Tower of Orthanc
10238 ???
10239 ???
10240 Red-Five X-wing Starfighter
10937 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

That is one impressive list for this year. I don't see us getting 10238 or 10239 until very late in 2013, or the start of 2014.

And yes.
I really don't see them doing another mega set after Opera House and Ewok Village. Winter Village is a given, but anything else seems like overkill at the end of the year.
And delaying something until early next year would be nice. After all, we kicked off 2013 with Horizon Express and Arkham Asylum.

Ponn

Banned

I saw amazon already selling cycle only 3rd party and marked up a little and lego S@H out of stock. Freaked out a little cause still missing cap and hawkeye for my avengers so ordered Cap Cycle from walmart.com, only place left at msrp i could see. Also went ahead and ordered Lokis Cube Escape for Hawkeye from Amazon with credit i had.

I saw amazon already selling cycle only 3rd party and marked up a little and lego S@H out of stock. Freaked out a little cause still missing cap and hawkeye for my avengers so ordered Cap Cycle from walmart.com, only place left at msrp i could see. Also went ahead and ordered Lokis Cube Escape for Hawkeye from Amazon with credit i had.

Shit. It just occurred to me that I don't have Hawkguy either. I need to snag that set ASAP to finish the Avengers. Of course, I have not gotten Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout yet, and that gives me Hawkguy. And another Thor. And yet another Loki. But I already have the best Hulk figure.
But the Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape has Iron Man in different armor than the Quinjet. Grrr. Might need both.

Fowler

I don't think I like either DeLorean. Something about the lack of a windshield really bothers me.

Still, gotta support BttF and Cuusoo, so will definitely get it...

Some horrible quality, late night iPad pics to show off just how tall Orthanc really is.

Orhtanc next to Town Hall, the tallest modular building out right now. Orthanc towers above the competition!

Orthanc next to the Imperial Shuttle. Orhtanc just barely edges it out on raw height. The Shuttle has it beat in width.

Orthanc next to R2-D2. Even with a velociraptor on his head, R2 is still dwarfed by the might of Saruman's fortress.

Sopwith Camel. Just because I wanted to show it next to the tower.

Showing the wingspan on the Sopwith Camel, and just how large it is compared to the tower.

Speaking of towers...

Bonus childish and obscene picture.

I have been going through most of my collection the last few days and came across this -

A FULL PICK A BRICK CUP!

I figured I would share since I just saw the last guy's posting :p

Took the lid off, and remembered where all my flowers went -

tM2m0hA.jpg

This is the contents - 609 pieces, 2c each

LO5lZt1.jpg

I have about 20,000 more pieces to go through before I am done with my sorting. I just closed my bricklink store and am keeping everything else for my personal collection for MOCs

Top Bottom