• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Kakusaizou

Neo Member
I finally get to post on LegoGAF after waiting 3 months...

Anyone go to Brickworld last week? I liked this MOC so much I kept coming back to get more photos of it.

9067250327_aa1685e2b9_b.jpg

9067251047_d220e1a5ef_b.jpg

When is that Titan Galaxy Squad going on the shelf? I've been eagerly waiting for that set after building the Bug Obliterator.

neonglow

Eglor's TRON Twin Bike designer video:

http://youtu.be/KQr48H_1Tik

It has a cool twisting feature. This set will definitely be bought.

I finally get to post on LegoGAF after waiting 3 months...

Anyone go to Brickworld last week? I liked this MOC so much I kept coming back to get more photos of it.

9067250327_aa1685e2b9_b.jpg

9067251047_d220e1a5ef_b.jpg

When is that Titan Galaxy Squad going on the shelf? I've been eagerly waiting for that set after building the Bug Obliterator.

Is that suppose to be Bruce Wayne's family?

Redberyl

Neo Member
Was the Cuusoo Minecraft set hard to come by at first? I really want to pick up the DeLorean when it comes out as I'm a huge BTTF fan and don't want to miss out. I know demand was high for Minecraft.

If memory serves it was available spordically during the original 10k production run, although I think at the absolute beginning to wasn't too hard to get direct. I think the situation was made a lot worse once the speculators saw how much it was selling for when unavailable.

I would expect LEGO produce more of the DeLorean than the initial Cuusoo limits they had on Minecraft.

neonglow

If memory serves it was available spordically during the original 10k production run, although I think at the absolute beginning to wasn't too hard to get direct. I think the situation was made a lot worse once the speculators saw how much it was selling for when unavailable.

I would expect LEGO produce more of the DeLorean than the initial Cuusoo limits they had on Minecraft.

I would hope so too. I'm not sure why it won't have minifigures though. It's backed by Michael J Fox's Foundation so it can't be a licensing issue.

R-User!

My love for LoTR will be hard to stifle a couple months but yea, I just feel being prudent is the best course of action.

I would have a little extra money left over to track down one of those cowboy steaks though.

I feel like with LEGO, being prudent almost always pays off! :)

R-User!

I remembering watching that video a couple weeks back, that's when I first heard the 1% was being donated to Michael J Fox's foundation. I sure as hell don't remember the set being in the video though.

I remember the car rolling on the table towards his hand... But I still don't see an official looking box for it yet, nor price announcement... Soon enough I suppose....

Ponn

Banned
I feel like with LEGO, being prudent almost always pays off! :)

Ha, yea, almost missed out on capn america.

Speaking of which quick question for those maybe in the know. I know WV Bakery would be for sure retired going by one a year retiring and that was next after Toy Shop (still depressed missing out on that but found lego gaf too late). Are the chances of them retiring Post Office as well likely or do you all feel that will be back?

Argh. Orthanc will arrive at the post service at some time in the next six hours so I can go pick it up. Meanwhile I guess I'll get some shopping done.

Speaking of which quick question for those maybe in the know. I know WV Bakery would be for sure retired going by one a year retiring and that was next after Toy Shop (still depressed missing out on that but found lego gaf too late). Are the chances of them retiring Post Office as well likely or do you all feel that will be back?

Word from both LEGO employees and our friends at my local non-LEGO LEGO store is that the only one available this winter will be the Cottage and the forthcoming set (market).

Bakery can still be found for around $100 so it's not a terrible markup. If you want to catch up on Christmas sets without breaking the bank, take a look at the smaller holiday vignettes that they've done. They're really charming. Looking these up is getting me pumped for Christmas. Cannot wait to get all the holiday sets built.

2011 had these two:
3300002.jpg

2011-Lego-Holiday-Set-1-3300020-1.jpg

I think the 2012 one was an amazing set:
Lego-3300014-2012-Christmas-Set-ibrickcity-1.jpg

Your comment about the Captain America set rings true. I have picked up a lot of small sets recently and I'm getting really frustrated with how lame the builds are. Sets like the Luthor mech work very well because it's centered around a unique structure, not just the figs. Arctic Batman is similar because it feels like the boat is well designed....but sets like the Iron Man / War Machine thing, the Star Wars battle packs, the small Man of Steel sets...they all seem so vapid. It's almost as though LEGO feels the need to include random "battle stations" with a certain percentage of their sets.

Oh-the Catwoman set is a great example of it being done right. Love that street corner.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This doesn't seem to be too bad to put together since all the tiles are 2x1. I hate laying down the 1x1 tiles and making sure they're all straight and aligned.
You know the new brick separator. You can run the flat end in-between the grooves of the 1x1 tiles to straighten them out.

soma27

Keep checking ebay. I started late as well (only last year), but was just able to snag a NIB Post Office and a gently used Bakery for $200 total (one auction). Prices have been going up, so I figured getting a combo of NIB plus 100% used was worth it.

I can't afford to go back further for the Toy Shop, that is officially out of my price range.

Ponn

Banned
Word from both LEGO employees and our friends at my local non-LEGO LEGO store is that the only one available this winter will be the Cottage and the forthcoming set (market).

Bakery can still be found for around $100 so it's not a terrible markup. If you want to catch up on Christmas sets without breaking the bank, take a look at the smaller holiday vignettes that they've done. They're really charming. Looking these up is getting me pumped for Christmas. Cannot wait to get all the holiday sets built.

Your comment about the Captain America set rings true. I have picked up a lot of small sets recently and I'm getting really frustrated with how lame the builds are. Sets like the Luthor mech work very well because it's centered around a unique structure, not just the figs. Arctic Batman is similar because it feels like the boat is well designed....but sets like the Iron Man / War Machine thing, the Star Wars battle packs, the small Man of Steel sets...they all seem so vapid. It's almost as though LEGO feels the need to include random "battle stations" with a certain percentage of their sets.

Oh-the Catwoman set is a great example of it being done right. Love that street corner.

Thanks for info. It hurts having to pay over $100 for any of those sets knowing they were around 60 retail. I may hold off completely and see what the WV market is. The word Market in its name to me implies something big. The main thing that interested me out of toy shop was the tree but if i can find the instructions online for it i might try and piecemeal just the tree together.

robochimp

Here is my Star Wars collection so far.

It all started back in January when I bought the A-wing

The Fury Interceptor is amazing. The X-wing is impressive.

My surprises of the bunch were the midi scale star destroyer and Anakin's Y-wing

Building the star destroyer was kind of like building the wings on the fury interceptor and I really like the way it looks.

Anakins Y-wing has a lot of details and curves plus so much yellow really makes the ship standout.

Worst of the bunch is Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator. I'm just not a fan of the ship as a playset builds, too unwieldy and wobbly. The cockpit is beautiful with all the deep red, unfortunately it all gets covered up by grey.

Thanks for info. It hurts having to pay over $100 for any of those sets knowing they were around 60 retail. I may hold off completely and see what the WV market is. The word Market in its name to me implies something big. The main thing that interested me out of toy shop was the tree but if i can find the instructions online for it i might try and piecemeal just the tree together.

I can take a look at Lasting Toys and see if they have any of the older sets in stock if you're interested. The last few times I was there they did not.

frogg609

Finished up Apple Tree House this weekend. It was a fun build, though I'm not super thrilled with the lack of interior, and due to some of the design choices, it feels like the garage is overly long, and a car has a great chance of putting carbon monoxide into the rest of the house.

Obligatory Ackbar shot:

137e791cdce011e282e122000a1f9aae_7.jpg

Doc looks a little weird, I liked his original design better but LEGO went with BTTF 1. I like the time circuits in the interior. I'll be getting this set for sure.

Orthanc is finally here! Gonna do a movie marathon and see how far I get while building.

Extended editions of course. Right?

Pricing Info and better pics of the DeLorean are out here.

Minifigs and pieces to make it resemble the DeLorean from any of the three movies?

I'm officially super excited now. :D

Time circuits? Flux Capacitor? Mini Figs!? Even if the outside is meh, those interior details kick ass. Too bad it doesn't also have the wind up clock on the dashboard.

Marty and Doc minifigs seal the deal for me. Definite buy.

EDIT: I wonder if the train-mounted Delorean will fit on LEGO tracks?

It probably could. The car is only 6 studs wide.

Shit, now I want a few DeLoreans. Make one from each film.
Do one from the original with the lightning rod sticking out the back.
Make a flying one from BTTF II
Make a tran track compatible one from BTTF III.

EDIT: No, the official model looks to be 8 studs wide.

It probably could. The car is only 6 studs wide.

Shit, now I want a few DeLoreans. Make one from each film.
Do one from the original with the lightning rod sticking out the back.
Make a flying one from BTTF II
Make a tran track compatible one from BTTF III.

This one is already turned into a sky way flyer!

Gooooooldie Wilson the third here!

Edit: Needs Mr. Fusion

R-User!

Marty and Doc minifigs seal the deal for me. Definite buy.

EDIT: I wonder if the train-mounted Delorean will fit on LEGO tracks?

If so, WOW!

Homerun Total!

The fact that they (from that report) have given instructions for THREE Delorean builds seals the deal for me!! 0.o

Extended editions of course. Right?

Of course!

Taking a break now to stretch my legs. Bag 8 done and Boromir is about to get killed. Seems about right for a six hour build.

And holy crap, this set has many spacer plates, 1x1 brick hinges, 1x10 slopes and cheese in general.

About the car, I'm not a fan of how the roof is constructed. Sure, it keeps the general form of the car but it's so unwieldy. I might get it anyway since I used to love those movies. And maybe it helps send a message that the eventual Ecto-1 is worth making, right? ;)

Pricing Info and better pics of the DeLorean are out here.

Minifigs and pieces to make it resemble the DeLorean from any of the three movies?

I'm officially super excited now. :D

Will the 35 pounds UK price convert directly to US dollar? That's around $50 for the set which would limit me to only buying one set. $35 and I'd buy multiples. I understand it's limited production and licensed which raises costs. Just saying I hope demand is high and they make a much larger run to reduce pricing a bit.

Maybe they should do pre-orders in the future and if they hit certain milestones they could reduce the final price or something.

Fowler

Will the 35 pounds UK price convert directly to US dollar? That's around $50 for the set which would limit me to only buying one set. $35 and I'd buy multiples. I understand it's limited production and licensed which raises costs. Just saying I hope demand is high and they make a much larger run to reduce pricing a bit.

Maybe they should do pre-orders in the future and if they hit certain milestones they could reduce the final price or something.

Like Kickstarter, basically? That'd be cool.

judhudson

So that makes it $50 a set? Dang, I was wanting to get 4 sets (build each of the 3 Deloreans, and keep 1 sealed in box).

Argh, my wallet.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This.

So many shallow slopes,surely they could have at least got the bonnet/hood looking decent.

This part was used in the original model I believe. I guess it's a part NOT currently in production so they had to find another solution?

4515.gif

EDIT: Hmm no. It was used as recently as 70103 Boulder Bowling, so that can't be it.

So that makes it $50 a set? Dang, I was wanting to get 4 sets (build each of the 3 Deloreans, and keep 1 sealed in box).

Argh, my wallet.

I'm spoiled. I want my US LEGO MSRP discounted price! Waaaaah! I was thinking the exact same thing of 3 or 4 sets, but unlikely if it's $50.

This part was used in the original model I believe. I guess it's a part currently in production so they had to find another solution?

4515.gif

Better start stocking up on that part as it may get scarce soon if that piece fits the Cuusoo final model.

Fowler

This part was used in the original model I believe. I guess it's a part NOT currently in production so they had to find another solution?

4515.gif

EDIT: Hmm no. It was used as recently as 70103 Boulder Bowling, so that can't be it.

That bonnet piece would work for the BttF1 and 2 DeLoreans, but wouldn't work for 3. I'm guessing they needed some way for you to add the stuff Doc adds in 1885:

bttf-delorean-dmc-12-628.jpg

I'm guessing the tiles just pop off and you'd snap that in place, which you can't do with one solid bonnet piece.

I still remember being horrified at the end of the second one when the "To Be Continued" message came up. As a stupid 13 year old I didn't know movies were allowed to do that.

I still harbor a bit of a grudge against the series for some reason, probably because of that.

Top Bottom