• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

If it's not glued, just unscrew it. If it's glued, you need a soldering iron to heat up the pin until you can pull it out. It's essential that you do not touch the plastic though, as it will melt very quickly.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
If it's not glued, just unscrew it. If it's glued, you need a soldering iron to heat up the pin until you can pull it out. It's essential that you do not touch the plastic though, as it will melt very quickly.

It's a new Batman one. How can I tell if it's screwed or glued? The screw rotates, so I assume it's screwed.

The 2014 Modular is:

Parisian Restaurant

This has me really excited. Thanks!

Still need Palace Cinema...will probably pick it up during the next decent monthly bonus.

In other news, in the last couple of weeks I've built all of the Avengers sets. To be perfectly honest, I think I like the Hulk set better than the Quinjet. Could be because I'm not a huge Avengers fan but I feel the ship has inherited a condition known as "stubbiness". Great playability though.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Didn't Jamie Berard reference that he was working on something but he is not a good cook? Could this be a Jamie set, or more importantly, a non-Astrid set?

I am buying it either way, but if Jamie is involved then excitement +10

Oh my!! Excited!!

Ponn

Banned
PHi06tA.jpg

Clash of the Titans. I included TLOU Survival Edition in my haul pic because why the hell not. I got the spidey set just for the figs, well, specifically Nick Fury to complete my Avengers but Spidey and Venom isn't a bad bonus.

rallaren

Clash of the Titans. I included TLOU Survival Edition in my haul pic because why the hell not. I got the spidey set just for the figs, well, specifically Nick Fury to complete my Avengers but Spidey and Venom isn't a bad bonus.
The vamp castle is the biggest building for me so far and I thought it was alot to build... HH and Orthanc next to each other like that blows my mind right now.

R-User!

It's a new Batman one. How can I tell if it's screwed or glued? The screw rotates, so I assume it's screwed.

I can tell you that it spins not because it's screwed in there, but because it is inserted with slightly angled rounded ridges on the pin that create tension when you attempt to pull up and away from the head of the fig. So you can spin forever and never unscrew it.

But if you squeeze the fig in your hand wrapped in a silicone mit (for grip) or something comparable, and grab the pin (or the pin and small ring attached to it) with Vise-Grip type pliers and slowly twist and pull the pin away from the fig head, then the pin should pull out with a enough force while twisting. The twisting allows the pin to work its way out of the plastic while the pulling helps to grind the plastic until there is no more gripping of the pin.

Also, when I last broke Hulk from his keychain binds that tied him two weeks ago, I had trouble remembering how I had removed his pin to the point where I accidentally broke the pin clean and flush with the top of Hulks hairpiece. Which was fine because you couldn't notice it, but I wanted it gone anyway on principle! So I attempted to twist Hulks head and hairpiece off, and what was left underneath was access to a whole bunch of exposed pin! Which made grabbing and twisting out REALLY easy with my pliers.

TL;DR: snap off the pin clean and straight, twist off the head, and pull out the remaining pin with dem pliers.

Ponn

Banned
The vamp castle is the biggest building for me so far and I thought it was alot to build... HH and Orthanc next to each other like that blows my mind right now.

HH is horizontal but if you put it on its "side" the boxes are about the same size. Orthanc is noticably heavier though. I haven't started Orthanc, probably going to save that for a couple weeks but I am happy Orthanc has all numbered bags instead of the grouped numbered bags HH has.

It's interesting you bring up Vampyre's Castle. I was going to say something about this earlier but didn't want to be unfair to HH till after I was finished with it but...i'm sure HH will be bulkier, much more sturdier and have that dollhouse opening feature but as of now for display purposes I have to say I prefer Vampyre's Castle. I have said this before but the piece count on Vampyre's Castle is very misleading for what you end up with. At more than half the piece count as HH it still looks bigger and has more atmosphere going on.

I might change my mind when i'm finished thats why I was hesitant to say anything about that yet but for a 2000 piece count $180 set I keep looking at my 800 piece count '
(minus car) set that can be picked up for $85 now and thinking I would rather have that on prominent display at Halloween. And I don't mean to disparage HH, i'm having loads of fun putting it together right now, i'm just more surprised at how it made Vampyres Castle look cooler to me. If anyone was debating picking up any MF set make Vampyre's Castle an immediate next purchase, especially at the below msrp its going for now but it disappears or you will be kicking yourself in the ass later.

rallaren

HH is horizontal but if you put it on its "side" the boxes are about the same size. Orthanc is noticably heavier though. I haven't started Orthanc, probably going to save that for a couple weeks but I am happy Orthanc has all numbered bags instead of the grouped numbered bags HH has.

It's interesting you bring up Vampyre's Castle. I was going to say something about this earlier but didn't want to be unfair to HH till after I was finished with it but...i'm sure HH will be bulkier, much more sturdier and have that dollhouse opening feature but as of now for display purposes I have to say I prefer Vampyre's Castle. I have said this before but the piece count on Vampyre's Castle is very misleading for what you end up with. At more than half the piece count as HH it still looks bigger and has more atmosphere going on.

I might change my mind when i'm finished thats why I was hesitant to say anything about that yet but for a 2000 piece count $180 set I keep looking at my 800 piece count '
(minus car) set that can be picked up for $85 now and thinking I would rather have that on prominent display at Halloween. And I don't mean to disparage HH, i'm having loads of fun putting it together right now, i'm just more surprised at how it made Vampyres Castle look cooler to me. If anyone was debating picking up any MF set make Vampyre's Castle an immediate next purchase, especially at the below msrp its going for now but it disappears or you will be kicking yourself in the ass later.
HH has the color though. Vamp castle is very grey. It's something about the scale too. the castle should also be 2k or maybe even 4k piece set compared to a house even if it's a big one like HH. Well, in my mind a vamp castle is bigger than a haunted house...hmm.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Okay, Purchased a house last night so I will actually have a LEGO room now. I can finally get all my old sets from my parent's house and sort and build. I am excited about that. The only down side is all my money will be tided up now in more bills than before so I will not be able to purchase LEGO like I have been. Oh well. I have about 20 sets in my backlog that I can finally build. Suppose to close around September 1st and I will have a month to move everything in so hopefully after gently moving all my currently build LEGO and can start in on the back log and Legacy Lego sorting. Is it sad I am almost as excited about that as I am getting a new house?

Okay, Purchased a house last night so I will actually have a LEGO room now. I can finally get all my old sets from my parent's house and sort and build. I am excited about that. The only down side is all my money will be tided up now in more bills than before so I will not be able to purchase LEGO like I have been. Oh well. I have about 20 sets in my backlog that I can finally build. Suppose to close around September 1st and I will have a month to move everything in so hopefully after gently moving all my currently build LEGO and can start in on the back log and Legacy Lego sorting. Is it sad I am almost as excited about that as I am getting a new house?

Congratulations!

You will find that home repair, maintenance and construction is significantly less fun than doing it with LEGO bricks. Remember - the job hasn't even started if you've only visited the hardware store once.

R-User!

High five for the house and the LEGO room!

ghostmind

Congrats on the purchase of your LEGO storage and display unit!

Actually, taking care of the yard/lawn gives me that same zen buzz as building sets.

Vampyre Castle balloons in size quickly because it uses quite a bit of the large grey corner wall pieces, while Haunted House is more regular sized bricks.
But Vampyre Castle is so awesome when together, and does have an appropriate mood and sinister nature to it. The asymmetrical nature of the set lends itself to looking "off" when you see it. That something is wrong in that castle. The playset features of it are also ace. I (being a sick, twisted person) particularly like the torture dungeon in the castle. Also, dat organ!
Now imagine how insane they could have made the Vampyre Castle is they made it a 2000 piece set. :)

Congrats on the home. And good luck on the sorting.
And you transported things fully constructed? Ballsy. My wife asked me what I was going to do with everything on display when we inevitably move next year. I told her I would just take everything apart and box it up, then spend a month or so rebuilding it all at the new place. And at least that might stop me from spending more money on sets.

Oo I really like that one, Phon. So many details. The king size bed is amaze balls. Now I want to MOC the Maniac Mansion...
Thank you. And man, I would love to see a MOC Maniac Mansion.

Man, first it was LEGO adult fans trying to get into LEGO Land, now they're buying homes?!

What is this world coming to...

Congrats, man! Welcome to the world of weekend house projects.

frogg609

Congrats on the house! Having a space for LEGO is pretty great (though mine is pretty full.)

Jimbro72

Congrats on the house! You're going to enjoy having a dedicated LEGO room.

If you're thinking of packing up and moving all your sets still built, that is how I have done it when I have moved in the past. What I did was put each set into it's own plastic shopping bag, like a Target bag or something. That way, if any piece falls off during the moving process, it's at least contained in the bag with the set it fell off of. Then pack several of those in a large box, using other bags for filler and packing material for added protection. I've had pretty good success doing it that way with minimal repairs being needed to only a few sets after unpacking and I've never lost a piece, either.

I've even attempted to do that with the UCS ISD once many years ago when I had to store my things in a storage unit for a while. That....wasn't as successful as the rest when it came time to set them back up.

Cool, thanks for re-posting. So many cool details in there. A shame that one is coming down.

Actually saving that one for last. Tore down half the BrickMAX Theater MOC and am really out of storage space now. I need to rethink organization of some parts due to volume now. I think I might actually be able to keep the Mansion up if I am clever. Just need some slight tweaks to it (like changing window colors) to keep it alive.

R-User!

Congrats on the house! You're going to enjoy having a dedicated LEGO room.

If you're thinking of packing up and moving all your sets still built, that is how I have done it when I have moved in the past. What I did was put each set into it's own plastic shopping bag, like a Target bag or something. That way, if any piece falls off during the moving process, it's at least contained in the bag with the set it fell off of. Then pack several of those in a large box, using other bags for filler and packing material for added protection. I've had pretty good success doing it that way with minimal repairs being needed to only a few sets after unpacking and I've never lost a piece, either.

I've even attempted to do that with the UCS ISD once many years ago when I had to store my things in a storage unit for a while. That....wasn't as successful as the rest when it came time to set them back up.

I actually used a double bag just in case a jagged-edged Lego piece cut a hole in the bag. The thicker the layers the less likelyhood of a tear. Also, the Target bags might be the thickest "grocery bags" out there, so I would definitely suggest that every LEGO-head in here save those bags for the inevitable eventual move. Never hurts to have a bag stuffed full of Target bags for a move or to carry some jagged crap in! :)

Jimbro72

I actually used a double bag just in case a jagged-edged Lego piece cut a hole in the bag. The thicker the layers the less likelyhood of a tear. Also, the Target bags might be the thickest "grocery bags" out there, so I would definitely suggest that every LEGO-head in here save those bags for the inevitable eventual move. Never hurts to have a bag stuffed full of Target bags for a move or to carry some jagged crap in! :)

Yep, I agree. The Target bags are very durable and I never had any issues with holes being poked in mine when I moved, though with thinner, cheaper bags, I could totally see that as being an issue.

LEGO store bags are crazy thick. Time to buy more LEGO so you can transport your collection.

I have a representative going to SDCC for me to try and get the exclusives. Hopefully they have a better system in place than last year, because it was an absolute mess.

Darth_Vader_pointing.jpg

On a different note, my local Target did have random stuff on clearance.

Werewolf, Vermin Vaporizer, Small Cottage were all 30% off.

ALL Architecture stuff was 50% off there. Looked like people already ransacked Farnsworth and White House (smart people). Everything else remained. Finally makes things like Seattle Space Needle a good price for what you get.

Ponn

Banned
Vampyre Castle balloons in size quickly because it uses quite a bit of the large grey corner wall pieces, while Haunted House is more regular sized bricks.
But Vampyre Castle is so awesome when together, and does have an appropriate mood and sinister nature to it. The asymmetrical nature of the set lends itself to looking "off" when you see it. That something is wrong in that castle. The playset features of it are also ace. I (being a sick, twisted person) particularly like the torture dungeon in the castle. Also, dat organ!
Now imagine how insane they could have made the Vampyre Castle is they made it a 2000 piece set. :)

I was in Walmart a couple months ago and saw one vamp castle with a $55 clearance tag on it. I debated for like 15 min, put it back, slept on it, went back in morning and it was gone. Been kicking myself because i was going to use the extra set and build up my current into one bigger display looking closer to the Castlevania...um...castle.

neonglow

I was in Walmart a couple months ago and saw one vamp castle with a $55 clearance tag on it. I debated for like 15 min, put it back, slept on it, went back in morning and it was gone. Been kicking myself because i was going to use the extra set and build up my current into one bigger display looking closer to the Castlevania...um...castle.

For instore deals that I'm undecided on, I usually just buy it and think about it later. If I don't like it, I just return the set.

Build another and invert it. Symphony of the Night style :)

Calm Killer

Thanks everyone. I'm excited. Lego purchase will go down drastically though. A house is much better though. :)

Crocodile Cage

So I bought this MISB a year or two back but it's been sitting around for awhile so I opened up and put it together. I always enjoy getting sets from the early 90's, that is where I most enjoyed Lego as a kid and it's always cool going back and buying all those older sets I never had a chance in hell of getting. Islanders is probably one of my favorite themes (Ice Planet is tops) and I think there are only one or two sets I have to get before I have the entire theme. I think Wolfpack (Also a cool theme) is the only theme I have all the sets of...big whoop there since it's only like 3 sets haha.

Kryten

I've made it onto book 2 of 5 of the Technic Unimog. I know my Lego obsession is relatively recent, but holy shit this is the most complex and awesome Lego set I've assembled so far.

Top Bottom