• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Bucket 1 of 2

FRHQstk.jpg

Sorting begins tomorrow. Do you guys bother to sort by color? I'm planning on sorting by shape only as of right now. I'll need more sorting bins if I want to do it by shape and color. More room as well.

I have four of these right now for the sorting. After this, my workshop in the garage will be approx 60/40 LEGO over actual tools...

Bucket 1 of 2

FRHQstk.jpg

Sorting begins tomorrow. Do you guys bother to sort by color? I'm planning on sorting by shape only as of right now. I'll need more sorting bins if I want to do it by shape and color. More room as well.

I have four of these right now for the sorting. After this, my workshop in the garage will be approx 60/40 LEGO over actual tools...

Sort by shape always. It is easier to find a red 2x4 plate in a sea of random colored 2x4 plates than it is to find a red 2x4 plate in a sea of randomly shaped red pieces.

Some stuff I have sorted by shape, then by color, but only if the quantity demands it. For instance, I have hundreds of grey 1x4 bricks, so they are separate from all the other 1x4 bricks so all the other colors are not buried under a solid wall of grey.

Sort by shape always. It is easier to find a red 2x4 plate in a sea of random colored 2x4 plates than it is to find a red 2x4 plate in a sea of randomly shaped red pieces.

Some stuff I have sorted by shape, then by color, but only if the quantity demands it. For instance, I have hundreds of grey 1x4 bricks, so they are separate from all the other 1x4 bricks so all the other colors are not buried under a solid wall of grey.

Good tip, I'll see how many extra bins I have left over at the end and then sort pieces that I have a large quantity of by color.

About your Tower Bridge dilemma, do you think you just lost those technic gears? Seems like you would be able to spot them in your collection. When I was building my Hogwarts micro MOC I almost bought those gear pieces off Bricklink for the moving staircase tower but I figured out a better technique. I didn't dare touch Tower Bridge for them, not even for Harry Potter.

Good tip, I'll see how many extra bins I have left over at the end and then sort pieces that I have a large quantity of by color.

About your Tower Bridge dilemma, do you think you just lost those technic gears? Seems like you would be able to spot them in your collection. When I was building my Hogwarts micro MOC I almost bought those gear pieces off Bricklink for the moving staircase tower but I figured out a better technique. I didn't dare touch Tower Bridge for them, not even for Harry Potter.

I just remember having those technic wheels still joined together in small cups on my bookshelves for months. Like five months. Eventually I broke them down and sorted them into the collection, but I feel one small cup went missing. That is the only explanation for missing the exact number I need to finish the second tower.

I will keep digging around and they might turn up.

Legojang just changed his name into Jangbricks and expanded into various different stuff, so not just original Lego stuff anymore. Sounds good to me. Can't wait to hear his opinion on Orthanc and Unexpected Gathering.

ghostmind

Legojang just changed his name into Jangbricks and expanded into various different stuff, so not just original Lego stuff anymore. Sounds good to me. Can't wait to hear his opinion on Orthanc and Unexpected Gathering.

Yeah, I just saw the video as well. I've pretty much abandoned the Brick Show since discovering JANG. This change will only result in good things I think.

Seems like I can't avoid running into minifigs. I went to a department store I hadn't been to in a while, to get new towels. Turned out their toy area had a whole box of series 5 with a few series 6. Didn't seem to have the few s6 I wanted, but I picked up a Cleopatra.

And towels.

Rumour is it will be unveiled at Brickfete today! I will take pics if that is the case. That's easily my favourite theme so I am crossing my fingers...

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Rumour is it will be unveiled at Brickfete today! I will take pics if that is the case. That's easily my favourite theme so I am crossing my fingers...

Sweet looking forward to it!

Rootbeer

Banned
When you find a really awesome LEGO set on sale but even at the sale price, while a bargain, it's more than you want to spend at the moment... I hate that feeling :|

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
So is the BTTF set just going to go live in-store and online on Thursday? Or are they going to announce it first?

ghostmind

So is the BTTF set just going to go live in-store and online on Thursday? Or are they going to announce it first?

I have a feeling LEGO will announce it early on Thursday, with an SDCC reveal and availability on S@H shortly thereafter.

That would be my guess.

yKVboMgl.jpg

Unsuspecting Spaceman : "Hey, look like we are having bug for dinner!"

So to my surprise I actually really like Star Slicer, may be I am just partial to Praying Mantis as a giant mech. I don't mind so much the lack of articulation, except for the neck, it should turn 180 degree like real Mantis do.

I got this on sale ($27.00 or so) plus it was part of TRU buy one get one 50% off or such so may be that is why I am more forgiving. At $39.99 this is one pricey set for 300 pieces. The Green Team and little bug are from polybag, I think I got them around the same time.

FoBArEel.jpg

The box is pretty large for small set 300+, but the set do contain several large elements.

YuBrtfTl.jpg

The vehicle is pretty awesome for small set. The clear sticker on clear piece is a pain to apply. I find the bugs to be just fine without stickers but the Galaxy Squad stuffs looks really plain without the stickers, probably because the need for emblems for them to look more like combat vehicles.

NeXIif1l.jpg

I love the little bug from this TRU polybag. They had so many of these at my TRU at one point now they are all gone.

3bfl4rVl.jpg

I hope this is true!

LEGO-GAF with a man on the scene!

Sadly, it was not to be. I totally misread the times, and apparently it is being shown tonight at 7:30 EST! I was disappointed, but the event itself was great. I'll post some crappy pictures later. Holding a toddler in one arm for an hour is tiring, and makes for some shaky phone pics.

I picked up the Doctor Doom & Iron Fist figs for $20 all in, which means those (lame) sets are totally off my radar. So success!

I stopped by Lasting Toys on the way home for you. Along with the advent calendar I posted the other day, these are the only Pirates sets they have right now:

I hadn't seen this before either. Old set, but cool looking.

ghostmind

Sadly, it was not to be. I totally misread the times, and apparently it is being shown tonight at 7:30 EST! I was disappointed, but the event itself was great. I'll post some crappy pictures later. Holding a toddler in one arm for an hour is tiring, and makes for some shaky phone pics.

I stopped by Lasting Toys on the way home for you. Along with the advent calendar I posted the other day, these are the only Pirates sets they have right now:

Thanks for checking out the Pirates selection at Lasting Toys! I wish they had a store out this way.

Of course, having a store like that so close would also be dangerous for me.

EDIT: I think I will contact the store and see if they can ship those two sets out to me.

ghostmind

Once this gets revealed, is this the last of the big sets then for 2013? Or last '13 set, period, to be shown?

I think its the last of the big sets.

We still have the Hobbit sets, and possibly something for the new Thor movie.

And the Series 11 CMF, and BttF CUUSOO (officially at least).

chimster

UK gaf, the store at stratford has some lego star wars sets on sale. From what I remember, Jabba's palace, gungan sub, the first two old republic sets and some lego moleskins (the red one and the green one)

I can't remember the price but I got the red moleskin for 12 pounds

ghostmind

RdQ23Tt.jpg

10235 Winter Village Market

Ages 12+. 1,261 pieces.

Collect and create a fun festive scene with the Winter Village Market!

US $99.99 – CA $129.99 – DE 89.99€ – UK 79.99 £ – DK 799.00 DKK

Bring home the holiday spirit with the Winter Village Market, continuing the popular LEGO® Winter Village Series. Turn the handle and take a ride on the rocking horse as the carousel spins! Visit the carnival booth. Fill up on holiday and fair favorites including a pie, pretzel and croissant at the baker’s stand, chicken and sausage at the grill stand or sweet treats at the candy shop. Celebrate a holiday season full of traditions and building with the Winter Village Market!

• Includes 9 minifigures with accessories: 3 females, 2 males and 4 children
  • Features functioning carousel and operator’s booth with moving bucket challenge, baker’s stand, grill stand, candy stand, 2 streetlamps, 3 trees, a bench and 3 tables
  • Accessories include cups, teddy bear, a cat, scarf, purse and lots of food elements
  • Carousel horses feature new ornamental headwear design
  • Turn the handle to make the carousel rotate
  • Take a ride on the carousel
  • Watch the carousel horses really rock!
  • Fill up on holiday treats at the bakery, grill and candy stands!
  • Carousel and operator’s booth measure 7″ (19cm) high, 10″ (25cm) wide and 6″ (16cm) deep
  • Booths measure over 3″ (9cm) high, 3″ (8cm) wide and 1″ (4cm) deep
  • Combine with 10229 Winter Village Cottage for an even bigger winter scene!

Designer Video

nFhYSzT.jpg

ghostmind

Disney owns the merchandising rights for Spider-Man now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped MegaBlocks and gave the movie license to Lego.

That would be great! Do you know what the status of the merchandising rights are for the X-Men movies? It would be nice to have some DOFP sets.

Doesn't Fox still have X-Men? It'd be cool if Disney got them all again but well...you know Sony and Fox aren't going to cough up the other Marvel films rights so easily

Redberyl

Neo Member
Ugh, the Winter Village Market set looks good but I see instances of part inflation:

- tan 1x2 bricks instead of 1x4 brick
- brown 2x4 plates instead of 4x8 plate
- dark green 2x8 plates instead of 4x8 plate
- tan 1x2 tiles instead of 1x6 tile
- dark blue 1x2 tiles instead of 1x6 tile (they use 3 1x2 on the front of the lower right kiosk, but have 1x6 on the stairs of the carousel)
- tan 1x2 plates instead of 2x2 plates

Also all those 1x1 round plates are nice touches, but there are at least 155 that I can see, making up over 12% of the total piece count

On a more positive note for anyone in southwest LA, spotted 70705 Bug Obliterator at the Target by the Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance this morning at 50% off (4-5 left after the 1 I snagged).

Nice. Is that hooligan hat old? Was it used on burglars/crooks in other sets?

Hope Astrid doesn't get bashed. This set looks nice. I think she gets a bad rap here. I still have to build her modular buildings though. I understand she may less interesting building techniques, but I like the general look of what I've seen of the modulars.

EDIT: Duh. The hooligan hat is from the mime and artist CMFs.

Finally watched the video and WOW. Didn't expect the additional movements on the carousel beyond rotating. Definitely feels like you're getting less for the $100, but it's due to the smaller pieces and lots of minifigures. The carousel is the center piece and probably has a lot of parts to make it functional. Definitely getting this set as well, but I think I can wait for after xmas for a discount hopefully. I have so many other sets to get anyways and will grab following xmas if I miss out this year.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I was so so about the village, but I will get it to continue the collection. The biggest news is the dark blue arch!!! I can use that in my cafe corner and replace the black one I'm currently using!!

Ponn

Banned
Uggghhh WV market with working carousel looks good. I know i'm going to end up breaking down and picking up a $200 Winter Toy Shop and i'm going to hate myself for it.

Top Bottom