• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

I was so so about the village, but I will get it to continue the collection. The biggest news is the dark blue arch!!! I can use that in my cafe corner and replace the black one I'm currently using!!

The dark-blue arches are the big buzz on this set with a lot of AFOLs, as that part is very expensive to get, yet is part of both the Cafe Corner and Market Street. This set will definitely bring the prices down on that element.

neonglow

The dark-blue arches are the big buzz on this set with a lot of AFOLs, as that part is very expensive to get, yet is part of both the Cafe Corner and Market Street. This set will definitely bring the prices down on that element.

Has anyone had experience Bricklinking the earlier modular buildings? What are other expensive parts?

Nice. Is that hooligan hat old? Was it used on burglars/crooks in other sets?

Hope Astrid doesn't get bashed. This set looks nice. I think she gets a bad rap here. I still have to build her modular buildings though. I understand she may less interesting building techniques, but I like the general look of what I've seen of the modulars.

I do give Astrid a lot of shit on here, and it is largely unwarranted. She is very good. The Friends line is evidence of that. But the shit I give her is for the modular buildings, and hers were a significant step down from Jamie's buildings, which is why I am so harsh.
She excels at the little details in things, but does them in more basic building techniques where Jamie has the really out there methods for achieving them.

That reminds me, who is designing the Dolphin Cruiser? I think I might hit up TRU tomorrow to see if it showed up yet. I NEED IT!

EDIT: Oh, and the new Winter Village set looks ace. Dat carousel!

I do give Astrid a lot of shit on here, and it is largely unwarranted. She is very good. The Friends line is evidence of that. But the shit I give her is for the modular buildings, and hers were a significant step down from Jamie's buildings, which is why I am so harsh.
She excels at the little details in things, but does them in more basic building techniques where Jamie has the really out there methods for achieving them.

That reminds me, who is designing the Dolphin Cruiser? I think I might hit up TRU tomorrow to see if it showed up yet. I NEED IT!

EDIT: Oh, and the new Winter Village set looks ace. Dat carousel!

Perhaps I was harsh as well in saying "bashed" as opposed to being critical. All is fair since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

All these sets I want. This is another bad year for my wallet. Stop it LEGO.

Perhaps I was harsh as well in saying "bashed" as opposed to being critical. All is fair since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

All these sets I want. This is another bad year for my wallet. Stop it LEGO.

I still like her work on the modulars. It just feels like a step back from the previous buildings for me is all.
But, Ghostmind (I think) said she had a hand in many Friends sets, and the few I bought I loved so much.

And as for opinions, just look at me with Star Slicer. Some on here really liked it, while I can rarely resist an opportunity to bash it (except the vehicle in it. That is beyond criticism). Perhaps I need to rebuild it just to see if my opinion on it has changed. It is only fair I give it a second chance like I do with many sets.

This stood out the most to me. Looks great.

E8Bldj2.png

ghostmind

I still like her work on the modulars. It just feels like a step back from the previous buildings for me is all.
But, Ghostmind (I think) said she had a hand in many Friends sets, and the few I bought I loved so much.

And as for opinions, just look at me with Star Slicer. Some on here really liked it, while I can rarely resist an opportunity to bash it (except the vehicle in it. That is beyond criticism). Perhaps I need to rebuild it just to see if my opinion on it has changed. It is only fair I give it a second chance like I do with many sets.

I know that Astrid Graabaek and Fenella Holden were the primary designers of the 2012 Friends sets, but I don't know who designed the Dolphin Cruiser specifically.

I know that Astrid Graabaek and Fenella Holden were the primary designers of the 2012 Friends sets, but I don't know who designed the Dolphin Cruiser specifically.

Knowing she was one of the main designers on Friends 2012 is enough for me to love her. Seriously great work, and more people on here should try the sets if they like the modulars and City sets. Right now I am seeing Friends as the logical extension of City. It is covering the normal day to day stuff and not the public worker segment.
It would not shock me if in the next two years we got a Friends zoo set. Just for you, Ghostmind.

I'm not getting the winter themed sets, but... color me unimpressed. Lots of fiddly little loose items and pasts wasted on tiny buildings.

It's neat that they're making new parts that can help rebuilding modulars, but really, how much will this affect second hand prices? Are people really going to buy 2-3 of these just to pick out the arches for sale? That wouldn't make them much cheaper. Or does this mean that Lego will have them back in store for PAB?

leng jai

Have to say the new Winter Village set is pretty lacklustre. So disjointed. A major disappointment after the amazing Winter Cottage :(

R-User!

Have to say the new Winter Village set is pretty lacklustre. So disjointed. A major disappointment after the amazing Winter Cottage :(

I kinda feel the same way being that it looks like 5 different little sections that don't feel quite whole and/or unified. The centerpiece being the carousel it doesn't feel like its large enough for some reason. I'll probably pick it up for $50-$70 but not at $100. It just isn't as good a value per piece compared to WVC.

I reserve the right to change my opinion if the set looks better built and on display than how the front of the box suggests...

I don't feel like there is much of a market feel to the set being that the centerpiece isn't a market but a carousel.... >_<

Thanks for posting this! I will head over to the OP shortly.

My initial reaction was a bit of disappointment if I am being honest. It seems like a collection of smaller vignettes that would make good standalone add ons but that don't match the cohesive appeal of the previous four sets. The more I look into what a "Winter Village" actually is however, the more I am coming around. This set will sit very well alongside the Bakery's skating rink in terms of an outdoor festival.

It is also worth noting that the centrepiece is 32x16, which isn't exactly tiny!

More importantly, the scene in the second pic sold me.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Has anyone had experience Bricklinking the earlier modular buildings? What are other expensive parts?

I built out a cafe corner. No minifigs and subbed the arch and doors. Spent about $450. This was over a 8 month period so like $50 at a time.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'm not getting the winter themed sets, but... color me unimpressed. Lots of fiddly little loose items and pasts wasted on tiny buildings.

It's neat that they're making new parts that can help rebuilding modulars, but really, how much will this affect second hand prices? Are people really going to buy 2-3 of these just to pick out the arches for sale? That wouldn't make them much cheaper. Or does this mean that Lego will have them back in store for PAB?

It should be available directly from lego now. I bought a lot of the pieces for cafe corner directly from lego.com. I am excited!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't post much in the thread anymore, mostly because I haven't bought much Lego recently. (horrific I know). Well I recently got my hands on a random bag of Lego from a jumble sale so lets see what I got. As with most jumble sale pickups some pieces have been left together.

1.JPG

In the year dot man invented the wheel. In the year 2013 they butchered it. Anyone know if this originated from a set?

2.JPG

And straight off the bat it's Non-Lego thing. Guess this thing goes in the jumble sale box. Poor chap ended up drilling a hole in his own chest.

3.JPG

Looks like someone tried to make a futuristic hook shot out of Lego.

4.JPG

It's the brothers H1 and H2. One's headless one's armless and they both died in their next battle.

5.JPG

It hurts to live. Don't worry, you'll be disassembled soon.

6.JPG

And a Bioncle pamphlet that is so battered it looks like someone tried to blow their nose with it.

7.JPG

And then I picked out these odd pieces. Don't recognise these...

8.JPG

OH GOD! It's the mark of death! I better wash my hands before they fall off!

9.JPG

So yeah, looks to be a lot of Bionicle/Heo Factory pieces and I'll have to use the Mega Blocks sieve to pluck out the plague. So typical Jumble Sales stuff really!

ghostmind

For reference, Christmas markets are a very European tradition.

Here's an example:

bh6kvGP.jpg

I very much like them "breaking the mold" this year, as I appreciate the variety. I'll be able to set up the kiosks and the main section along with my previous WV elements for a custom look. Frankly, I wish they would do something like this for the Modulars as well one year - create a different, but appropriate addition that would break things up a bit - like a city park perhaps.

rallaren

I just finsihed the Werewolf set and thought the designers really had outdone themselves with the tree. The car was way more detailed than I thought it would too. Though, after building it I got up and did some other stuff and when I came back it looked much smaller than it did while building, heh. Great nonetheless. There is also a spare glowing claw that I've placed on the side of the car.

neonglow

Here's an example:

bh6kvGP.jpg

I very much like them "breaking the mold" this year, as I appreciate the variety. I'll be able to set up the kiosks and the main section along with my previous WV elements for a custom look. Frankly, I wish they would do something like this for the Modulars as well one year - create a different, but appropriate addition that would break things up a bit - like a city park perhaps.

Wasn't there a modular accessory pack rumored to be coming out or did that turn out to be the City Starter Set?

ghostmind

Brick Show is saying they have *something* to debut on Wednesday that is from SDCC. It may not be LEGO-related at all, in fact I am thinking it will probably be Kre-O, but I'll check back on Wednesday to find out.

Jimbro72

Brick Show is saying they have *something* to debut on Wednesday that is from SDCC. It may not be LEGO-related at all, in fact I am thinking it will probably be Kre-O, but I'll check back on Wednesday to find out.

Could it be a SW set as it seems they usually have some small exclusive SW set there? Maybe another set in a tin or something.

Got tired of hunting for pieces for Tower Bridge, so decided to rebuild Sonic Boom. Forgot how awesome it was, but it is smaller than I remember. Maybe the Sopwith being bigger is doing that.

Here's an example:

bh6kvGP.jpg

That photo definitely shows what the set was based on. The booths being disconnected make perfect sense in a market/fair setting like in the photo. I understand the difficulty some have with the disjointedness, but that's easily solved by placing them on a base plate if they want. My bent mind already is thinking of "Americanizing" it. I can add a Santa booth like we have in the malls, except mine will be "Bad Santa" with the new holiday elf in CMF Series 11 for his evil sidekick.

I like the idea of city park. I imagine it including multiple base plates so it could be rearranged easily and combined so it's not disjointed to keep with the feel of modulars. Or it could be 3+ of the big plates and form it's own "block" like Central Park in New York or how they have a town center park area in smaller towns.

rallaren

I kinda like winter ser. Put it on some fake snow material and it will look pretty good to display on christmas but not as good as previous I understand.

You could make a really cool scene with the all the modulars and the Christmas sets. Toss in a bunch of trees to tie it altogether like the image Ghostmind posted.

I was thinking the MMV (or a few of them MOD'ed up):

MsCSHcp.jpg

That looks to strange to me as I mirrored my MMV as I built it :D

But yeah, arranging modulars in a square around the winter set could actually be a pretty nice scene. If you had enough modulars to actually make it all the way around.

Seems that's about all I got from it, it is mostly Bionicle pieces. But for £2 I can't complain. Actually I found a €2 coin mixed up in it so in the end its ended up costing me ~25p

Want to double your money? I'll give you £2 for the hyper ring..........

They were both made by the same designer - Nicholas Groves.

Wish I had picked up Diagon Alley before it went OOP.

I wondered if MMV was by him. Very similar looking. Has he worked on anything recently?

Too bad you never got Diagon Alley. It was the set that brought me back. Coming up on a year and a half since my return. Time flies.

ghostmind

I wondered if MMV was by him. Very similar looking. Has he worked on anything recently?

Too bad you never got Diagon Alley. It was the set that brought me back. Coming up on a year and a half since my return. Time flies.

His past work includes: Diagon Alley, Soldier's Fort, Wizard's Skull Tower, Troll Attack Ship, Harley Quinn Hammer Truck, Penquin's Sub, Woody's Round-up, RC Buzz & Woody Rescue, Shelob Attacks, Orc Forge

His most recent credit is the lead designer on the TMNT theme.

R-User!

That photo definitely shows what the set was based on. The booths being disconnected make perfect sense in a market/fair setting like in the photo. I understand the difficulty some have with the disjointedness, but that's easily solved by placing them on a base plate if they want. My bent mind already is thinking of "Americanizing" it. I can add a Santa booth like we have in the malls, except mine will be "Bad Santa" with the new holiday elf in CMF Series 11 for his evil sidekick.

I like the idea of city park. I imagine it including multiple base plates so it could be rearranged easily and combined so it's not disjointed to keep with the feel of modulars. Or it could be 3+ of the big plates and form it's own "block" like Central Park in New York or how they have a town center park area in smaller towns.

6 16x16 green baseplates for grass and 6 brown or dark tan 16x16 baseplates for trails...... Drool...

Run it behind the Modulars as a long backyard nature park. Though the rear of the firehouse doors leading directly to the forest might be odd...

Frostburn

Long shot but does anyone have or know where I can find the Lego Kingdoms King's Castle 7946? I have most of the other recent Castle and Kingdom sets but can't find this thing anywhere. I live in Richmond VA but don't think there are any toy shops that sell out of print sets around here.

Also I need to take some pics of my recent builds - B Wing and Stage Coach. I also have two Galaxy Squad sets waiting to be built.

ghostmind

Long shot but does anyone have or know where I can find the Lego Kingdoms King's Castle 7946? I have most of the other recent Castle and Kingdom sets but can't find this thing anywhere. I live in Richmond VA but don't think there are any toy shops that sell out of print sets around here.

Also I need to take some pics of my recent builds - B Wing and Stage Coach. I also have two Galaxy Squad sets waiting to be built.

Bricklink - starting at $150 currently.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&q=7946&invNew=N&itemType=S&viewFrom=sf&sz=10&searchSort=P

Crazy... just watch Space Brothers (an anime about two brothers wanting to go to outer space as astronaut) and episode 60 has a classic red spaceman as an important part of the plot

pretty awesome.

Top Bottom