• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

R-User!

SDCC exclusive sets:

utY5pYq.jpg

kOs4Fcx.jpg

Micro bag eeendgsgshegenen!

Ironman breakin' up a fight:
SlErCPTl.jpg

ghostmind

FBTB's review appears to be down...

Interesting - he was complaining earlier today about other sites jumping the gun on the Minecraft reveal.

His review was pretty negative - overly-so I think.

Brick Show review is positive, though he never notices the misspelling and doesn't understand the date display.

I would love to do this. My wife has family in San Diego.

When we get closer to next years SDCC I'll throw it out there again and gauge interest.

FBTB has posted their review of the CUUSOO Back to the Future set:

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/17/review-21103-back-to-the-future-time-machine/#more-22394

The misspelling of "SHIELD" is on the review model, and it is a printed brick!

EDIT: Brick Show has a video review:

http://youtu.be/5j1AFiz2mvI

Holy crap, how was that overlooked?! OUTATIME brick is awesome.

I'm gonna attempt to get both. Hope the Lego booth is more organized this year.

Good luck!

FBTB has posted their review of the CUUSOO Back to the Future set:

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/17/review-21103-back-to-the-future-time-machine/#more-22394

The misspelling of "SHIELD" is on the review model, and it is a printed brick!

EDIT: Brick Show has a video review:

http://youtu.be/5j1AFiz2mvI

Review is back up. Wonder how crazy speculators and collectors will go after that misspelling of "SHIELD".

FBTB review was pretty harsh, but he does have valid points. It's mainly the minifigs that smoothed over my somewhat disappointment of the final model. Also being able to build all 3 helped. The compromises definitely took a toll on the appearance of the car as a DeLorean. However, having a sizeable collection and knowing how to use BrickLink, I should be able to make some mods to appear more like the original.

If anyone finds good instructions for original Cuusoo BttF car please post link here.

I'd rate the final car much higher than FBTB and a bit below the Brick Show review.

ghostmind

The FBTB review is back, with a disclaimer.

I’ve already received flak for expressing my negative reaction to the set. So you should be forewarned that if you were one of those people that were offended by my bad opinion, you should stop reading right now.

The reviewer "Ace Kim" is extremely negative, much like he has been in past reviews for many other sets.

I appreciate objective reviews, but this isn't one of them. I would take his advice, and don't bother with this review.

ghostmind

Review is back up. Wonder how crazy speculators and collectors will go after that misspelling of "SHIELD".

I'd rate the final car much higher than FBTB and a bit below the Brick Show review.

I would agree, from everything I have seen/read so far. Looking forward to getting it.

Chuck

Still without luck
In my opinion, it seems like Lego is doing the Cuusoo program about as half assed as they possible could. They take ages to get the process moving along and every set they do is tiny and never really substantial outside of the licenses on which they're based. I guess the Minecraft sets have a unique charm in their oddly tininess, but the Back to The Future set could have been done better for sure. Are they seriously afraid the sets won't sell? I just don't get it. They could start a full-on Minecraft theme, make $120 sets and they would still sell like mad.

They start this awesome program to get regular people to create real actual Lego sets, but then go on to not support it as well as they should.

Chuck

Still without luck
It finally appears that Lego is starting to say "fuck stickers" like the rest of us have been for quite a while now. How long until they're gone for good? Is such a thing even possible...

ghostmind

It finally appears that Lego is starting to say "fuck stickers" like the rest of us have been for quite a while now. How long until they're gone for good? Is such a thing even possible...

It's all about cost. If TLG can build, maintain and supply the printing process to fit within their cost tolerances for a given set, I think they would do it. And what I think has been happening is TLG, through time and increasing expertise, has been able to produce printed pieces with greater efficiency and lowered cost. Hence the increase in printed minifig components.

If, some day, they do move to fully-printed pieces, I wonder what that will do to the AFOL builder market, as now there would be an exponentially greater range of elements with unique printing. The option to just not apply the stickers will not longer be there.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes us.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO GAF meet-up at next years Comic Con. Who's in?

I would love it... I need to start planning. I live in Northern CA and honestly never been down in that area. SDCC would be a great experience, I've attended Wondercon and loved it. I am a bit apprehensive about how crowded SDCC is though, having to stand in line for multiple hours to get into certain panels which will just be uploaded on youtube within hours... it's a conflicting feeling :p

Anyway, sigh, yeah I'll buy those new Minecraft sets... I guess :| The first one was overpriced as hell though, and that's certain to continue

You know what is a pain in the ass to store and keep organized? Plates. Specifically ones 4x4 and larger. They take up so much space you cant really just dump them in anything, and then you get to the obscenely large ones and they barely fit in any containers.
Get a bigger container, and there are no dividers for the different sizes. Urgh.
Thankfully you can stack them easily and keep it relatively clean, but man do these take up so much space. If I wanted to, I guess I could combine sizes in each pocket of the sortmasters and cram everything in one bin, but then I would have to remember which sizes I combined per pocket. Urgh.

You know what is a pain in the ass to store and keep organized? Plates. Specifically ones 4x4 and larger. They take up so much space you cant really just dump them in anything, and then you get to the obscenely large ones and they barely fit in any containers.
Get a bigger container, and there are no dividers for the different sizes. Urgh.
Thankfully you can stack them easily and keep it relatively clean, but man do these take up so much space. If I wanted to, I guess I could combine sizes in each pocket of the sortmasters and cram everything in one bin, but then I would have to remember which sizes I combined per pocket. Urgh.

build lifesize shelves out of them... problem solved ;)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Made it out alive of Preview Night with a DeLorean set! Was going to get the JEK-14 set but I don't know if it's worth $40
to sell

Fowler

Made it out alive of Preview Night with a DeLorean set! Was going to get the JEK-14 set but I don't know if it's worth $40
to sell

Did you get Bag End? Fairly sure half this thread would kill for a micro-scale Bag End. (Or maybe just me.)

I was tempted to post the final photo from that review, but I'll let people check out the review for that final photo. Very funny.

Just about all reviews of major LEGO blogs are moderately positive to very positive. Just the FBTB review leans on the negative side. I'm glad I got to read all the negative and positives before I got the set...who am I kidding, I would have gotten the set for the minifigs alone. :) If you're unhappy with the final result, I think the set gives you plenty of parts to make your own version with a few BrickLink orders.

Where is my Teen Titan LEGO set?!? Raven, Starfire, and Cyborg should be easy enough. Beast would require a new mould with the elf ears. Robin would be the anchor if needed.

Warner Bros is obviously spending money advertising the cartoon at Comic-Con in San Diego. Just did a quick search and new cartoon starts in July 2013. Fingers crossed!

P.S. Standard LEGO eyes please. No ugly Clone Wars cartoon eyes.

093592ad051ee018370f6a7067003a31.jpg

Where is my Teen Titan LEGO set?!? Raven, Starfire, and Cyborg should be easy enough. Beast would require a new mould with the elf ears. Robin would be the anchor if needed.

Warner Bros is obviously spending money advertising the cartoon at Comic-Con in San Diego. Just did a quick search and new cartoon starts in July 2013. Fingers crossed!

P.S. Standard LEGO eyes please. No ugly Clone Wars cartoon eyes.

093592ad051ee018370f6a7067003a31.jpg

I loooove me some TT so I can only endorse this post like mad!

Dragoshi1

I want a Lego Teen Titans set just for the chance of getting new animal figures from beast Boy, and reprints. They could easily take the T-Rex from the Dino sets, and make it all green with blank white eyes and call it a day.

ghostmind

FBTB has the details on the process for getting the exclusive minifigs and sets:

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/18/sdcc-lego-marvel-and-dc-exclusive-minifigures-giveaway-details/

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/07/18/sdcc-how-to-buy-the-retail-exclusives/

The available numbers:

Thursday – Spider-Woman, 350
Friday – Amazing Spider-Man, 350
Saturday – Black Suit Superman, 200
Sunday – Green Arrow, 200

JEK-14 Mini-Stealth Starfighter, 1000 (800 remaining)
Micro-Scale Bag End, 1000 (800 remaining)

If you recall, the exclusive minifigs last year had 1000 of each available, so they are going to be far more rare this year.

My prediction - it is going to be a bloodbath at the LEGO booth.

DeLorean get! Apparently, they're selling fast at the Meadowhall Lego shop. The guy on the counter wants to use the modular Town Hall & the Lone Ranger train to make a massive BTTF display :)

Those exclusive mini-sets are nice, at least you could Bricklink them unlike exclusive minifigs (although I'm still waiting for someone to scan the instructions for those chibi sets from the other year).

rallaren

I just finished The Ghost Train. It's my only train set and it looks nice and different from my other sets becuase it's a train. I got it for the good price and for the glowing mostly. I like the locomotive the most. The rest is pretty tame. Even the plane despite its darkish red.

That about does it for me and Monster Fighters. I might come around to HH some day. I really like the theme (as an adult... I would probably pick the police house over vamp castle as a kid). Biggest bummer: Glowing sticker on the Hearse not glowing! Got that sucker in the sun now! I had to buy the horse set to make up for it. Edit: Very hot but still not glowing.

Top Bottom