• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

ORoUsGj.jpg

3EmqHrO.jpg

(via ToyArk)

ghostmind

I just finished The Ghost Train. It's my only train set and it looks nice and different from my other sets becuase it's a train. I got it for the good price and for the glowing mostly. I like the locomotive the most. The rest is pretty tame. Even the plane despite its darkish red.

That about does it for me and Monster Fighters. I might come around to HH some day. I really like the theme (as an adult... I would probably pick the police house over vamp castle as a kid). Biggest bummer: Glowing sticker on the Hearse not glowing! Got that sucker in the sun now! I had to buy the horse set to make up for it. Edit: Still not glowing but very hot.

LEGO replaced the glow-in-the-dark stickers with non-glow ones, due to quality issues, a few months or so ago. Are you sure you have the gitd sticker?

rallaren

LEGO replaced the glow-in-the-dark stickers with non-glow ones, due to quality issues, a few months or so ago. Are you sure you have the gitd sticker?
I know but I thought I got the Hearse before that. Apparently not. I watched some reviews where they said it was hard to get it to glow. Someone had it under a lamp for an hour or something.

Will MF continue? I read on the official boards that it won't. That would explain why they made HH I think.

3cxepvfl.jpg

I got $10.00 off coupon which bring them down to regular suggeted price (yay, TRU Tax). Can't price match because no one have these yet. The store I went to also doesn't match online price only store price.

I could not resist Jango Fett.

I was going to build the small one before I go to bed but then I pull out Bag#2 and saw this ...

7LbOOaPl.jpg

Is this typical of set with tank thread track? I mean I love building and all but connecting 60 of those things can't be fun.

I was going to build the small one before I go to bed but then I pull out Bag#2 and saw this ...

7LbOOaPl.jpg

Is this typical of set with tank thread track? I mean I love building and all but connecting 60 of those things can't be fun.

Ive only had a few seats with tread tracks and they always used the long rubber pieces that you slipped over wheels.

rallaren

http://i.imgur.com/7LbOOaPl.jpg[img]

Is this typical of set with tank thread track? I mean I love building and all but connecting 60 of those things can't be fun.[/QUOTE]
It was chore-ish on Excavator but not that bad on Ultra Sonic Raider. I guess it depends on the set.

7LbOOaPl.jpg

Better treads than the rubber ones. It inflates the piece count, but looks so much better in the end.

R-User!

You know what is a pain in the ass to store and keep organized? Plates. Specifically ones 4x4 and larger. They take up so much space you cant really just dump them in anything, and then you get to the obscenely large ones and they barely fit in any containers.
Get a bigger container, and there are no dividers for the different sizes. Urgh.
Thankfully you can stack them easily and keep it relatively clean, but man do these take up so much space. If I wanted to, I guess I could combine sizes in each pocket of the sortmasters and cram everything in one bin, but then I would have to remember which sizes I combined per pocket. Urgh.

The Stanley Sortmasters have removable dividers and if you press together your plates leaving just one stud hanging of each edge then you can easily separate your plates by having something to grab on to to pull them apart!

Edit: I just realised reading the rest of your post that you referenced the Sortmasters. You can definitely keep all your 1xX's and larger in one pocket then your 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10x's in the side pockets in the Stanley Sortmasters (SSM's), right?

qE96UKWl.jpg

R-User!

build lifesize shelves out of them... problem solved ;)

Then when you need a plate just "Snap it off your shelf!"

"The handy-dandy LEGO shelf set!"
"Build it! Break it! Build it again!
"Thousands of configurations!*

*only2658possibleconfigurationspossible*

"Only $19.99 plus shipping and handling!"*

*shippingandhandling $13.99*

"Get yours today!"

I would love it... I need to start planning. I live in Northern CA and honestly never been down in that area. SDCC would be a great experience, I've attended Wondercon and loved it. I am a bit apprehensive about how crowded SDCC is though, having to stand in line for multiple hours to get into certain panels which will just be uploaded on youtube within hours... it's a conflicting feeling :p

Anyway, sigh, yeah I'll buy those new Minecraft sets... I guess :| The first one was overpriced as hell though, and that's certain to continue

Nor Cal best Cal.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
The FBTB review is back, with a disclaimer.

The reviewer "Ace Kim" is extremely negative, much like he has been in past reviews for many other sets.

I appreciate objective reviews, but this isn't one of them. I would take his advice, and don't bother with this review.
The way I feel is, if you don't like a set and can't understand the piece/price limitations TLG have as a company, then just make your own damn version.

I think this hobby is pretty unique in that we already have all the raw materials and pieces to make our own versions or designs- we're not stuck with what TLG offers us at all, hopefully only inspired.

I know thats how i've felt in recent years especially now that i'm an adult fan -with the resources to make these changes myself- instead of a youngster.

R-User!

Could I still order replacement gitd stickers from LEGO like you did? Or do you think that LEGO stopped shipping those too? Did you claim that your stickers were damaged, and what set did you order a replacement for?

From the FBTB review:

Overall, a disappointing set and not really worth picking up unless you’re a speculator, have a thing for licensed themes, or are building your own DeLorean and want the printed elements and minifigs to complete your model. No one thought this set would become a reality, and just the experience of building the time traveling DeLorean from one of the best 80′s science fiction movie franchises was pretty satisfying and nostalgic. It’s just too bad the final model sucks.

Or if you're a fan of BTTF? This guy is a total ass hat.

Don't particularly like either - what is all that underground stuff in the village?

Late reply, but that's an abandoned mineshaft. I love the use of those tiles with grills as the rail tracks. I'm not quite sure what the red and white bricks are supposed to represent though, maybe redstone.

Definitely getting both those two, wouldn't be much of a Minecraft and Lego fan if I didn't!

ghostmind

That is an AT-AP - they are from Episode 3 - the last time one was produced was 2008 (set 7671), and they go for around $150 to $200 now (original MSRP was $40).

I'm glad to see it - and hopefully this means more RotS sets in 2014, but this probably won't do much for OT fans.

I'm liking the new Wookie mould!

SEjEf2Y.jpg

AT-AP details:

Release: March 2014
Price: $69.99
Pieces: 717
Minifigs: Wookiee Warrior, Commander Gree (Phase 2), Super Battle Droid, Battle Droid, Battle Droid Commander

That is an AT-AP - they are from Episode 3 - the last time one was produced was 2008 (set 7671), and they go for around $150 to $200 now (original MSRP was $40).

I'm glad to see it - and hopefully this means more RotS sets in 2014, but this probably won't do much for OT fans.

LEGO is definitely milking the clone trooper color variations. Was there are olive green colored clone trooper?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Attack_Pod
From the quick skim, the 3rd leg model is from an earlier version of Galactic War whatever that was.

frogg609

SEjEf2Y.jpg

The change of color the light gray of the original to this is interesting, not sure if I like it as much though.

When I get home from work tonight I'll try to post pictures of my original one. Can't believe it's worth so much more now, that's insane!

Jimbro72

SEjEf2Y.jpg

While I like it and think it's a cool "upgrade" over the original, it's still just another rehash. Wish they'd put out more actual new sets instead of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rehash of something. I understand why they do it, but as a completist (or close to it), it's not quite as exciting as seeing sets of actual new stuff get released. But, I guess I can take apart my other one, as this one will take it's display space next year.

While I like it and think it's a cool "upgrade" over the original, it's still just another rehash. Wish they'd put out more actual new sets instead of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rehash of something. I understand why they do it, but as a completist (or close to it), it's not quite as exciting as seeing sets of actual new stuff get released. But, I guess I can take apart my other one, as this one will take it's display space next year.

You are the one person in this thread who isn't allowed to qualify their role as a completionist.

I share your sentiment but it's a tough balance. The iconic ships need to be re-released, but where do you draw the line? This thing looks like a cruddy motorized kids toy from 1991.

Sweet! My brother lives in San Diego and he's just confirmed that he's going to SDCC on Sunday! He's going to try to grab the exclusive sets for me. Thanks for those exclusive set photos, Ghostmind, now my brother knows exactly what to look for. Crossing my fingers...

Sweet! My brother lives in San Diego and he's just confirmed that he's going to SDCC on Sunday! He's going to try to grab the exclusive sets for me. Thanks for those exclusive set photos, Ghostmind, now my brother knows exactly what to look for. Crossing my fingers...

Tell him to buy multiples and you can send the extras down the QEW my way :)

ghostmind

I hear you - but one more year (maybe 1.5) of rehashes and then we are going to get flooded with new sets for Episodes 7 to 9, as well as the one-shot movies. I think we are getting close to the golden era for LEGO Star Wars.

Jimbro72

You are the one person in this thread who isn't allowed to qualify their role as a completionist.

: ) Well, I try to be but my SW collection is certainly not without it's holes. At least if they role out lots of Ep3 sets next year, that might be a good thing as '05 was a year I slacked on the LEGO due to reasons and, as a result, am missing multiple of the original Ep3 sets.

I hear you - but one more year (maybe 1.5) of rehashes and then we are going to get flooded with new sets for Episodes 7 to 9, as well as the one-shot movies. I think we are getting close to the golden era for LEGO Star Wars.

I'm looking forward to see what kind of design for ships and what not they have in store for Ep 7. Like all completely brand new, or if there will be some familiar ships, as Ep7 isn't suppose to take place all that long after ROTJ, right? I sense another MF release right around that time, as I can't see how it wouldn't be in Ep7.

Tell him to buy multiples and you can send the extras down the QEW my way :)
Considering that he's going on Sunday, I'm not holding out much hope that he'll be able to snag anything at all. All the sets and mini-figs will probably be gone by then. I'll let him know though and hopefully he can come through for both of us!

On another note, my wife just agreed that our daughter will be old enough that we can all go to next year's SDCC. She'll be almost 8 by this time next year so we think that she'll be able to handle it without being too fussy. My brother goes every year and he said that he can get us tickets any year that we want to go and we can stay at his house when we go. Can't wait!

ghostmind

Master Builder Academy sets are now available in Canada, but only from LEGO Stores at the moment. It should be arriving to Canadian S@H in August.

ghostmind

AT-AP details:

Minifigs: Wookiee Warrior, Commander Gree (Phase 2), Super Battle Droid, Battle Droid, Battle Droid Commander

The original was only 392 pieces, with 2 minifigs.

Jimbro72

AT-AP details:

Wow, I'm shocked at that price point given the piece count. It's actually.....not bad! For 717 pieces with multiple new figs, I would have guessed at least $10 more than that based on some of the sets current pricing.

Considering that he's going on Sunday, I'm not holding out much hope that he'll be able to snag anything at all. All the sets and mini-figs will probably be gone by then. I'll let him know though and hopefully he can come through for both of us!

On another note, my wife just agreed that our daughter will be old enough that we can all go to next year's SDCC. She'll be almost 8 by this time next year so we think that she'll be able to handle it without being too fussy. My brother goes every year and he said that he can get us tickets any year that we want to go and we can stay at his house when we go. Can't wait!

I hold no hope, don't worry. I suspect you have to devote much of your day at SDCC to getting an exclusive item so I'm not even sure I'd do it!

Our daughters are the same age so I'm jealous. No way my wife would go for that.

Top Bottom