• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Some great stuff in this set, and some things that just scratched greatness. Keep in mind that many of my questions and criticisms are purely sarcastic and not to be taken seriously. The serious questions I hope are obvious.

My first reaction to seeing it on the shelf at TRU before I went to work today:

First off, some parts of note (outside of the white hull pieces) that can be fun for MOCs or might show up later.

Blue tinted windows are always cool, and these are the first of the 4 wide I have gotten of them. This is also the first time I have seen the ice cream cone piece. The last is the great 1x1 round tile, but in orange. Obviously I am a sucker for orange pieces, as they are not as common.

1x2 rounded slope. First saw these in Hive Crawler. I look forward to getting a lot more, because they could be extremely useful in many types of MOCs.
The other is the 1x2 armrest tile (that is what I always called them), but this one has a dividing bar in the middle. This is new to me too, but it may have appeared in other things.

Dark trans purple pieces. Only 4 in the set, but still a really nice color.

Anyways, onto the set itself:

The minifigs, err...dolls. Never a big fan of the mini dolls in the friends sets, but like the hair that comes with them, because I can at least use that with other figures. And if this is supposed to be a vacation yacht, shouldn't the characters be in swimsuits?
The dolphins are pretty neat, but there is nothing posable about them. I am curious to try and put a flame piece in that blowhole...

First off, the jetski. Pretty cool and basic. Would make a fine $6-8 set on its own. Nothing amazing, but not bad either. The clips on the side handily snap onto the side of the main boat though, which is a nice touch.

The main hull. Some VERY useful MOC pieces and techniques in this part. Definitely the highlight of the entire set.

Let's start with the bedroom. Two twin beds. Typical construction that you see for beds from other sets. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The reverse view. That bin is filled with hairpins and clips to put on the figures. I wonder if those would fit on the Tonto figure from Lone Ranger...

One side of the bathroom area. You have a nice sink and grooming products nearby. I like the implication that the 1x1 stud is a bar of soap. At least that is what I think it is.

The toilet, along with hair dryer and hair brush.
Two problems: If this girl can afford this yacht, you'd think she could afford a toilet paper holder without having to set it on the counter.
Also, what bathroom has tinted glass for walls? Are the Friends exhibitionists?

The lounge area. Dat sectional couch! So simple, yet so perfect. It is small things like this that make me love the Friends stuff.

The kitchen area. Simple yet effective stovetop. Fridge with juice pack inside. Ice cream already at the ready on top. It even has the kitchen sink.

Now we get outside. This is obviously the shower for people to rinse off before and after getting into the water. Or is it yet another venue for the Friends to be exhibitionists? Is the fish there for them to try and entice sharks to come up and play? I mean, there are no fishing poles in the set, so it must be a chum bucket or something, unless these girls are fishing with just their hands.
Either way, using a frying pan piece for a shower head is pretty cool and inventive.

The ladder leading up to the water slide. Pretty self explanatory.

The side of the boat. This is where the jet ski should clamp on. I know that tile is supposed to be a life preserver, but it also makes me think of Live Saver candy.

Now we come to the bow of the ship. Two lounge chairs for the girls to rest in and work on their tans. That or, once again, the girls are being exhibitionists.
The flag is obscuring the glass next to the lounge. Using a champagne glass type piece with an orange clear piece makes me think the girls are drinking mimosas or something.

Now for the top section of the ship:

First, a close up of the window pieces. These are the first windows of this shape I have gotten, and I am not sure if they appeared anywhere else.

Not sure what this is supposed to be, but my brain is saying it is a bar. Notice again the mimosa on the counter.

The bridge. The flat grey tile should have a sticker. It is the sonar one pictured here:

I know it is supposed to be a cute thing of girls wanting to find dolphins and play with them and marvel at their majesty. But that picture just makes me think they are hunting them for sport or something. I have issues.

The speaker system. After all, what is a party boat for a bunch of exhibitionist girls spending all of daddy's money without some music, eh?

The speakers even rotate. I like how so many Friends sets have similar speaker construction. Incredibly simple yet effective.

Finally, the completed boat:

The top section does not actually connect to the hull. The slope pieces actually gently keep it in place, but it is easily removable without any fuss.

Overall: I would give this set an A-. The main hull area is a ton of fun, and has so many neat little details in it. I am a sucker for the small real life details (after all, I gush so much about "Dat second floor!" of the Fire Brigade), and this set has tons of them.
Unfortunately, the top portion of the ship is rather tame after the main section of it. Still, some neat technique in there, but you can tell corners were cut to get the piece count down. It would take a few tweaks here and there to elevate this to a 10000 series set in my opinion. And for those into MOCs, there are some extremely useful pieces to use in here, the most obvious being the white ship hull parts. I am also happy to get 4 of the white double arches. Those things are huge and could be extremely handy in making a building MOC.

I will have to sit on this for a bit and maybe rebuild it to tell if it creeps into the top 5 for me this year. It is definitely a top 10 set though.

Chuck

Still without luck
According to sources, LEGO Star Wars will have a heavy Episode 3 focus in 2014, much like they did with Episode 2 this year.

Also, expect the battle-packs to return to the single-faction focus.

Wow...how long ahead do they plan this stuff? This year I get with the 3D movie plan for last year, but next year too??

Maybe they just have sets designed and priced that'll work so they're just sticking with them?

Wow...how long ahead do they plan this stuff? This year I get with the 3D movie plan for last year, but next year too??

Maybe they just have sets designed and priced that'll work so they're just sticking with them?

Thought I read somewhere that it takes about 2 years to get a set out from conception to final release. They need to have price points in mind, then design the sets, refine them, etc. Then make instructions, packaging, marketing, blah blah blah.

Not sure where I read that though, but a 1-2 year turnaround sounds about right.

ghostmind

Great review Phonciple! The Cruiser remains as a must-buy for me. Comparing your pics with the promo shots and box art, I think this set looks better without the stickers.

And dat trans-purple!

ghostmind

Thought I read somewhere that it takes about 2 years to get a set out from conception to final release. They need to have price points in mind, then design the sets, refine them, etc. Then make instructions, packaging, marketing, blah blah blah.

Not sure where I read that though, but a 1-2 year turnaround sounds about right.

I believe that final set review for the 2014 sets happened in October 2012. These things take a while to manufacture, produce supporting materials, market and ship worldwide in the quantities they do.

Chuck

Still without luck
Nice review, Bone.

It's a nice yacht set but the colors definitely ruin it for me. I guess one could just replace the pieces with other colors pieces and get a pretty sweet lookin' boat.

I believe that final set review for the 2014 sets happened in October 2012. These things take a while to manufacture, produce supporting materials, market and ship worldwide in the quantities they do.

But that would mean they'd have to have the 2015 sets planned by the end of this year, which seems crazy considering that's when Episode 7 is supposedly going to come out.

ghostmind

Is this at comic-con? (Architecture studio)

That particular set was acquired at LegoLand California.

Select B&N stores will be running Architecture events between next Thursday and Saturday. They should have sets available at these events. LEGO will then have them for purchase later in August I believe.

Check with your local B&N stores to see if they are participating.

ghostmind

Nice review, Bone.

It's a nice yacht set but the colors definitely ruin it for me. I guess one could just replace the pieces with other colors pieces and get a pretty sweet lookin' boat.

But that would mean they're have to have the 2015 sets planned by the end of this year, which seems crazy considering that's when Episode & is supposedly going to come out.

The lead time is why LEGO sometimes gets it wrong, or creates sets that don't have much to do with a movie, such as Iron Man 3. I think they can produce minifigs in large quantities much faster though, so the lead time for those is less. That is why you will see the preproduction boxes, with the general set components in place, but without the proper textures, colouring, stickers or mini figures being shown.

As for Episode 7, they are going to have access to concept art and model development as they are being made for the film - it's part of the contract and why it must be amazing/frustrating to work on these sets, as you will have knowledge of movies far in advance but will have signed NDAs that would lead to very bad things if you ever leaked a word of it.

Nice review, Bone.

If I rebuild it, I might not do any mods except colors. Same techniques, just more subdued colors to see how it looks. Might be a fun and small project.

ghostmind

If I rebuild it, I might not do any mods except colors. Same techniques, just more subdued colors to see how it looks. Might be a fun and small project.

Replace all the light blue with a dark navy and more white, get rid of the pink, and replace the yellow striping/highlights with a dark reddy-brown (ie. like a fine hardwood).

BwwTwGT.jpg
NdI3HVm.jpg
QzuCJqH.jpg

More from this set at FBTB.

So excited they have a Flash! Glad they have different prints for Batman and Riddler so it doesn't feel like I'm only getting 1 minifig I would like. Wouldn't hurt to throw in a Bat Girl or Bat Woman minifig in some set. LEGO must be sexist or something with the female/male ratio of minifigs. ;)

I really, really hope they have at least 2 more new DC Super Heroes and at least 2 more Marvel Super Heroes. News villains too. Ooooh, they could make a rhino from Chima and reuse that for Spider-Man Rhino villain.

Soul4ger

Wow, congratulations to the two of you that got Spider-Man at SDCC!! I'm really happy for you, what an awesome bonus.

Just a quick thanks to everyone updating news and posting pics and reviews. I'm in the hospital, been laid up for about a week, now. When I have an opportunity, I just in here to check out the latest of what's going on and you guys and gals never disappoint. Keep up the good "work"! :D

Kryten

Hell is getting to the end of a 2000 piece Technic build and realising that *somewhere* you've confused dark grey pieces with black ones and that you'll never find out where you went wrong, so have to live with it.

Hell is getting to the end of a 2000 piece Technic build and realising that *somewhere* you've confused dark grey pieces with black ones and that you'll never find out where you went wrong, so have to live with it.

I (or could be my assistant - my daughter) did that with the UCS Vader's Tie Fighter. Those old instruction are worst than the newer one and by the time we got to the final wing panel, we were pretty much done and don't feel like taking the thing apart. So the last wing panel has a dark gray piece on its underside instead of black. Someday I will get around to replace it.

I'm in the hospital, been laid up for about a week, now.

Hope you get better soon!

The other is the 1x2 armrest tile (that is what I always called them), but this one has a dividing bar in the middle. This is new to me too, but it may have appeared in other things.

1x2x1 with rounded corners and a central divider.

I think that a lot of the Summer 2013 Friends sets are using them as footrests. The minidoll legs seem to "pinch" the divider perfectly so it works well in vehicles etc.

My daughter has come a long way. She's cracking open bag 6 of the Summer Riding Camp as I type this and hasn't needed any help (aside from stickers). I haven't built a big set in a couple of months so I'm jealous.

Live in Europe sadly. We have to wait for a bit.

Ah, August 1. Cheers, man. Here's hoping that the AU store gets a decent amount of stock.

Also, I only just realized how much better the Cuusoo version is compared to the original on the whole; sure, the hood certainly isn't great and the wheels for the Part III model aren't as cool, but everything else looks a lot more swish.

Seriously:

9164476945_fbcb1434b8_c.jpg

9169577568_611c965d57_c.jpg

Apologies if these pics have already been referred to!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, August 1. Cheers, man. Here's hoping that the AU store gets a decent amount of stock.

Also, I only just realized how much better the Cuusoo version is compared to the original on the whole; sure, the hood certainly isn't great and the wheels for the Part III model aren't as cool, but everything else looks a lot more swish.

Not a huge fan of both of 'em :/ Don't really like the no-windows windows on both models, it feels this could have been done a lot better.
But yeah, the Cuusoo version is way better than the original.

Fowler

Swung by TRU and noticed Dolphin Cruiser. Didn't think we got sets THAT quickly here in HK. Wonder when BttF will arrive...

hmmblah

Finished the IS!

zO6Zlis.jpg

It was a fun build, just a few tedious parts on the wings with the 1x1 bricks. It's also a very very fragile model. Not sure how long I'll be able to display it with the kids around.

Fowler

Finished the IS!

zO6Zlis.jpg

It was a fun build, just a few tedious parts on the wings with the 1x1 bricks. It's also a very very fragile model. Not sure how long I'll be able to display it with the kids around.

The Imperial Shuttle is such a good looking ship. Definitely one of my regrets.

ghostmind

The next opportunity to see new LEGO Star Wars sets will be at Star Wars Celebration Europe, which starts in 6 days.

They are going to be previewing the new Star Wars: Rebels TV series there as well, and I wonder if 2014 will see any sets from that show...

Rootbeer

Banned
If you have TRU reward, they send out $10.00 off coupon couple weeks ago, spend $50.00 get $10.00 off (that's what I used for the two Star Wars to off-set the TRU-tax). There were two coupons, one already expired, and another one for Sunday.

Also my TRU didn't have the Jedi Defender. I know sometimes they do forget to put the "tax" as my local TRU have the Falcon for regular suggested retail price for the longest time.
I checked my e-mail and I can't find this coupon... was it by mail?

mrkgoo

Seriously:

9164476945_fbcb1434b8_c.jpg

9169577568_611c965d57_c.jpg

You've actually made me come around on the set somewhat. I didn't like the model before, but these pics do a good job of showing the rest of the model off.

In other news, I found some of my old Lego. Probably from early to mid nineties technics stuff. I'm found to dismantle it and use the pieces as a separate set. I actually had a lot more than I thought. A yellow generic creator type set, a red f1 car, a motor bike, a helicopter with fibre optics.

Man I'm so useless at Lego building though.

R-User!

That particular set was acquired at LegoLand California.

Select B&N stores will be running Architecture events between next Thursday and Saturday. They should have sets available at these events. LEGO will then have them for purchase later in August I believe.

Check with your local B&N stores to see if they are participating.

I signed up for one of the limited reservations at my local store. I wonder what this event will be like, and of any if the Arch series will be discounted...

Nice review Phon! I really want this set for the hull pieces for MOC's, but it looks like it'll be fun to build too! :)

Thanks for the parts breakdown for Arch Studio. I wonder if the 10%off B&N discount will kick in to drop the set to
135?

TripOpt55

I went to Target to look at clearance items and ended up buying Vermin vaporizer. My first Galaxy Squad set. Excited to put it together.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Went to a target while on a shopping trip with my parents and wife. They had some sets on 30% off but no long ranger train. If it was there it would have been mine. Went to a toys r us and the had 1 of the trains left and it was "on sale" for retail 99.99. I thought about it and looked up a price match, but didn't do it. I'll try and find it next week when we go to dc and Baltimore.

On a side note we went to hobby lobby and I found a nice display case for minifigs I think. I will post how it goes.

Soul4ger

I just saw the news regarding the sequel to the Avengers movie. Age of Ultron. Holy crap. My anticipation for those LEGO sets is already off the charts, and it's two years away. The amount of potential Marvel is building into these sets for LEGO ... I hope we get some batshit insane environments and minifigures. Vehicles and stuff are fine, I understand the need for play value. But, come on... These could be GODLIKE.

I planned on doing the color substitution on Dolphin Cruiser tonight, but I am too stoopidly giddy over the news that Ultron will be the villain in Avengers 2.

I want an Ultron battle pack. Just five or six different versions of Ultron with some random bricks thrown in. I don't care. I get frakking Ultron in a film! ULTRON!

I need to calm down from this news, but it is like a dream come true for me.

Top Bottom