• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

R-User!

I'm gonna pick one up tomorrow morning of they still have it in stock. Store said they got 30 in, and they're holding one for me until the end of the day, so tomorrow morning if I call before they open and they still have it I'll ask them to hold it till 11am so they know that I'll be there by 10 am.

Can't wait! I'll use a 5 dollar off 35$ purchase to get a new minifig keychain. Actually, if I buy two I might get a hot dog cart.... Hmmm, decisions, decisions

False Edit: wait, it's $75..... I think I might have to add a salt and pepper shaker set for $7.

those new sets everyone seems to not like (forgot name) look great for joints, eyeballs, and specific colors. They legitimately look great for parts but not actual sets.

Lego store in Colorado Mills had like 12 sets left after I bought mine...guy said they are going slowly...don't think many people know about it yet...whooo!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Going to Baltimore and DC in a week. I'm looking to get the Lone Ranger train set, hopefully for 30% off. They are in stock right now at the target next to our hotel. I'll be at Tysons corner August 1st so hopefully they have BttF set then as well.

Going to Baltimore and DC in a week. I'm looking to get the Lone Ranger train set, hopefully for 30% off. They are in stock right now at the target next to our hotel. I'll be at Tysons corner August 1st so hopefully they have BttF set then as well.

My local Target was cleaned out of all clearance stuff today except the Small Cottage. All the Galaxy Squad and Lone Ranger sets that were marked down were gone. Glad I snagged the train when I saw it.

R-User!

I love this set! I just built a bit of it with my son, and I have to say I think it's really cool!

Last page of instructions:
os6kBlgl.jpg

Mirror:
Mj2KTSJl.jpg

Closer:
iaHCbrsl.jpg

Ironman Ironmaning:
2xx7jIql.jpg

Still Ironmaning
pZWMmpIl.jpg

Loki's up to something
v3sqSzel.jpg

Cap and Widow "working" together:
8EFnhmjl.jpg

Closer:
qels1vTl.jpg

"Working":
ERV0KrVl.jpg

"I implore thee!"
4SJHvffl.jpg

"Hulk confused..."
OkStM9Al.jpg

"Don't be confused, you brute!"
ad0RFwNl.jpg

Final Pic:
67JqHeql.jpg

I love this set I just built a bit of it with my son, an I have to say I think it's really cool!

I thought it was ridiculous, but bought it anyway for the Hulk fig. I really like it! I think I posted a few pages back that it may be better than the Quinjet in my opinion. It's a really well done play set.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My local Target was cleaned out of all clearance stuff today except the Small Cottage. All the Galaxy Squad and Lone Ranger sets that were marked down were gone. Glad I snagged the train when I saw it.

Yea, it is all your fault I am looking at it now.

neonglow

I managed to get the 2 exclusive SDCC sets on the final day with some help from my friend. I wish these weren't as hard to get as they were. Here's all the LEGO stuff I get at SDCC. This was the best I could hope for this year.

Exclusives

Non-Exclusives

I love this set I just built a bit of it with my son, an I have to say I think it's really cool!

Last page of instructions:
os6kBlgl.jpg

This set has fairly low reviews in this thread as most get it mainly for the Hulk. I agree with them in terms that it's mostly a play set. In those terms, I think it's a really cool set. The Small SHIELD jet is a very nice little build on it's own. I got it discounted and really liked the jet and the holding cell was nice too. Trans blue flags are nice parts. Rest was meh.

I managed to get the 2 exclusive SDCC sets on the final day with some help from my friend. I wish these weren't as hard to get as they were. Here's all the LEGO stuff I get at SDCC. This was the best I could hope for this year.

Exclusives

Nice haul. Jelly, but happy for ya.

R-User!

Exclusives

Non-Exclusives

Congratulations! Love micro bag end!

Calm Killer

Exclusives

Non-Exclusives

Nice. Congrats. If I got a haul like that I would be tempted to sell it all.

Jimbro72

Exclusives

Non-Exclusives

Congrats on the nice haul. Some very cool stuff there. I'm still waiting to hear on what, if anything, my cousin was able to get me from there.

Vyer

My son's been wanting the Millennium Falcon for the longest time. Got a gift from his grandpa so we went and covered the rest and got it for him. Today he was home with my wife and wanted to start on it so he worked on it a little during the day.

So I get home and he wants me to work on it, I pick up where he left off and get a few steps in and can't find like 5 pieces. They only opened the 1 bags, but I don't know if he played a little during the day and carried something off to his room and his containers full of Lego or they are actually missing or what. grrrr

wetwired

it's been a while since I ventured onto bricklink, I was wanting to get the iron patriot minifig, I couldn't find it anywhere except ebay but fuck me is it expensive $80!

has it just come out or is it long gone and rare?

Chuckie

it's been a while since I ventured onto bricklink, I was wanting to get the iron patriot minifig, I couldn't find it anywhere except ebay but fuck me is it expensive $80!

As far I as I know it is not even out. You get it when you pre-order the Lego Super Heroes game at Walmart.

There is no Walmart in Holland :(

Calm Killer

Not out yet. It is a pre order figure for the Lego Marvel Video game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As far I as I know it is not even out. You get it when you pre-order the Lego Super Heroes game at Walmart.

There is no Walmart in Holland :(

Nor in the UK. We have ASDA which is owned by Walmart, but I don't know if they're doing the pre-order offer. Wish someone would announce it over here, I'd love to get my hands on both the game and the minifig.

Chuckie

Nor in the UK. We have ASDA which is owned by Walmart, but I don't know if they're doing the pre-order offer. Wish someone would announce it over here, I'd love to get my hands on both the game and the minifig.

Yeah me too mate, me too. Game looks awesome and I'd actually want it. The Iron Patriot would be the most awesome bonus ever.

wetwired

ah good, I was worried I'd missed out, I'll pick it up when the price drops.

In other news our kickstarter reached 90% funding today with 5 days left!, w00t

As a reward to myself I'll have to buy some lego to celebrate, not from Kickstarter funds though obviously

rallaren

I finally got my hands on Earth Defense HQ! I could've gotten a fresh box for 18 more bucks but not sure it would be worth it (if I sell it). I do like the look of a new Lego box though...

I didn't know the different themes tied in with each other:
Story

According to a comic in the November-December 2011 edition of LEGO Club Magazine, the story of Alien Conquest ties in with multiple themes. It is shown that the aliens first attempt at world domination was with the Atlantis Guardians, who are most likely alien in their nature themselves. Another attempt was when Alien Commander (Alien Conquest) assisted Amset-Ra in creating the 5 Golden Treasures sought after in Pharaoh's Quest. However, after Amset-Ra was apprehended by Jake Raines and his crew, and the The Golden King was saved from the evil Atlantis Guardians, Commander Hypaxxus-8 launched a full-scale attack on Earth, preparing to abduct all the humans, use their brains as fuel for their Solar-Galactic Batteries and enslave them as mindless zombies. However, when the ADU (Alien Defense Unit) is formed, the battle for the fate of the Earth begins. However, in the comic's climax, Hypaxxus unleashes his master plan- he first travels to the City of Atlantis and kidnaps the Golden King to use his 5 Trident Jewels as a source of power, and later goes back in time and rescues Amset-Ra, who joins him with the treasures. Together, the two of them planned to use the power to finally control the world, however they are once again upstaged when the ADU fights back and forces them to retreat. Thinking they were defeated yet again, Amset-Ra becomes furious at Hypaxxus-8 for another failure. But he reveals he has another plan for world domination, which apparently, would tie in with the Dino theme but they never expanded the story any further.

Going to be by the lego store tonight for my Birthday dinner, hope they have some BTTF sets. Going to call later today to see if they do and will hold me one.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I finally got my hands on Earth Defense HQ! I could've gotten a fresh box for 18 more bucks but not sure it would be worth it (if I sell it). I do like the look of a new Lego box though...

I didn't know the different themes tied in with each other:

Monster Hunters ties in to Galaxy Squad, right?

I remember someone posted a picture from one of the comics that showed Dracula finally assembling the jewels hidden in each set, and that created a galactic pulse that alerted the alien bugs, or something.

Edit, this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/murphquake/8143802336/in/photostream/

R-User!

ah good, I was worried I'd missed out, I'll pick it up when the price drops.

In other news our kickstarter reached 90% funding today with 5 days left!, w00t

As a reward to myself I'll have to buy some lego to celebrate, not from Kickstarter funds though obviously

Obviously... <_<

Oh wow....That is awesome. He is even short like the child Elijah Woods. Epic Harry. Epic!

Thanks dude, I was hoping someone got the reference.

The Delorean was a fun little build. I still hate the hood but other aspects of the car are very cool. Also when I got there they had only sold 1 of the 13 they got in. So I ended up buying three of them. Hoping to sell the extra Doc's and Marty's on Bricklink eventually.

rallaren

Monster Hunters ties in to Galaxy Squad, right?

I remember someone posted a picture from one of the comics that showed Dracula finally assembling the jewels hidden in each set, and that created a galactic pulse that alerted the alien bugs, or something.

Edit, this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/murphquake/8143802336/in/photostream/
Damn. Now this just got way more awesome.

The themes seem to be over rather quick imo. Like Atlantis from 2010-11. That was ages ago. Save maybe 7985 City of Atlantis which is timeless.

I just haven't taken the time with the games, comics and tv shows. Doubt I will.

The great disassembly starts today. Only my modular sets and a select few others will stay intact. The rest will be fully demolished. I'm looking at around 60 sets total, including pirate ships with the rest of the PotC line, super heroes (marvel and batman), Star Wars, Harry Potter, Monster Fighters, Alien Conquest, and a slew of misc sets as well.

The majority of these have been in a state of disrepair since we moved in December. Rather than rebuild piece meal, we decided to do a full breakdown and start from scratch later down the road.

The kids will have full reign to build whatever they want for the time being, but the wife and I want to sort and build the sets up again. Everything will be mixed so it will be quite the task!

I get pretty bummed out tearing down certain sets, while others I don't really care about one way or the other. The Bat Cave and Quinjet have hurt the most so far! The PotC ships will be rough too, I know it. It's also surprising how solid certain builds are compared to others. The Quinjet is rock solid, man! Meanwhile, The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape fell apart by looking at it sternly.

rallaren

The great disassembly starts today. Only my modular sets and a select few others will stay intact. The rest will be fully demolished. I'm looking at around 60 sets total, including pirate ships with the rest of the PotC line, super heroes (marvel and batman), Star Wars, Harry Potter, Monster Fighters, Alien Conquest, and a slew of misc sets as well.

The majority of these have been in a state of disrepair since we moved in December. Rather than rebuild piece meal, we decided to do a full breakdown and start from scratch later down the road.

The kids will have full reign to build whatever they want for the time being, but the wife and I want to sort and build the sets up again. Everything will be mixed so it will be quite the task!

I get pretty bummed out tearing down certain sets, while others I don't really care about one way or the other. The Bat Cave and Quinjet have hurt the most so far! The PotC ships will be rough too, I know it. It's also surprising how solid certain builds are compared to others. The Quinjet is rock solid, man! Meanwhile, The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape fell apart by looking at it sternly.
Good luck. Can't tell if I'm envious or not but rebuilding from scratch was rather underappreciated to me before.

Damn. Now this just got way more awesome.

The themes seem to be over rather quick imo. Like Atlantis from 2010-11. That was ages ago. Save maybe 7985 City of Atlantis which is timeless.

I just haven't taken the time with the games, comics and tv shows. Doubt I will.

I almost view them more like mini themes within a bigger theme, like say how Islanders was considered part of the pirates, Blacktron under Space...etc. And none of those lasted all that long either...though they seemed to stay in stores a bit longer, even if the line wasn't getting any new sets.

rallaren

I almost view them more like mini themes within a bigger theme, like say how Islanders was considered part of the pirates, Blacktron under Space...etc. And none of those lasted all that long either...though they seemed to stay in stores a bit longer, even if the line wasn't getting any new sets.
Yeah me too but Monster Fighters -> Galaxy Squad? I guess I should just see it as a side-thing. The characters aren't used again it seems. For shame. Funny that Lego makes the stories up like that. That's good.

Time Cruisers > All though. Hilarious.

I did not remember the antagonists (I only had one set from the theme).

Click for commercial (with bonus theme..)

Yeah me too but Monster Fighters -> Galaxy Squad? I guess I should just see it as a side-thing. The characters aren't used again it seems. For shame. Funny that Lego makes the stories up like that. That's good.

Time Cruisers > All though. Hilarious.

I did not remember the antagonists (I only had one set from the theme).

Click for commercial

I really did not like the Time Cruisers line as a kid. I think it was the first time I sa a lego set and thought it was a mess... I still kinda do >_<

I really did not like the Time Cruisers line as a kid. I think it was the first time I sa a lego set and thought it was a mess... I still kinda do >_<

Boo_this_man.gif

It feels quintessentially LEGO to me.
Displaying the sort of imagination that the product should and does foster.

I can see why you would think that though, its not as clean, neat and tidy as say the Modulars. Which also has its place and charm.

I liked some of the sets but I have to admit, a lot of those sets were very mish mash with all the different pieces...they had some crazy designs. I remember getting the flying ship set for Christmas once...great selection of parts! That Mountain Time Lab though...uhhh, no idea what was going on there. That Time Twister train was pretty slick though...BUT I agree with you with the sets looking like a mess...a mess I liked but still.

Boo_this_man.gif

It feels quintessentially LEGO to me.
Displaying the sort of imagination that the product should and does foster.

I can see why you would think that though, its not as clean, neat and tidy as say the Modulars. Which also has its place and charm.

I feel like if they redid them they'd be better and feel alot like the Monster line (a good thing). I think it was due to the limited use of bricks (not as much to pick from I guess)

but yeah, I see the charm but it rubbed me the wrong way sadly.

ghostmind

Every so often I get the itch to pick up the Atlantis subtheme, especially since I have the rest of the recent Action-themes (Galaxy Squad, Monster Fighters, Dino, Alien Conquest and Pharaoh's Quest). We'll see what 2014 brings.

I'm on vacation ATM - hopefully I will be lucky in my annual bargain hunt.

What's the saying, "better to leave and be missed than overstay ones welcome."

Q: I'm curious as to why they discontinue series and sets more rapidly now than they did in the past. It used to be that a series could be counted on for multiple years, now it's barely 12 months and they're "no longer produced." Is this marketing? Logistics? Or are trends really changing that fast in their market these days?

A: The toy business has become a very fast-paced and competitive world&#8212;almost mimicking the fashion industry in how quickly things come and go as fads. The life of a typical Lego play theme line can range anywhere from one to three years. However, there are certain themes&#8212;like Space and Castle&#8212;that we consider evergreen themes, and those are rotated in and out over the course of a few years. When a theme is a classic, we often maintain the theme, but rotate the new models on a shorter term to maintain novelty and interest in the market.

excerpt from here: http://lego.gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego

I think they should redo that theme for the tastes of today. They have so many time period minifigs to support that theme as well. LEGO is good at creating similar minifigs to existing licenses. They should make a theme imitating Doctor Who. :)

Top Bottom